Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wild camping for a motorhome in Dublin

Options
  • 08-10-2019 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I am wondering where I could park my motorhome on trips to Dublin for a one night stay.

I live in Wicklow and on occasion go to Dublin for a night out.
    i know of the campsites near the city but on short notice in the summer they can be full especially at weekends.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dun Laoghaire Harbour, just down from the Crofton Rd entrance. It's becoming a popular place. Just don't take the p*** and everyone is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ds82

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire Harbour, just down from the Crofton Rd entrance. It's becoming a popular place. Just don't take the p*** and everyone is happy.

Great thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Often see some parked up in Howth beside the yacht club also.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Alkers wrote: »
    Often see some parked up in Howth beside the yacht club also.

It's not allowed any more, signage up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

If its a night out and you pay for the parking I'd be going around some of the quieter spots round Merrion Square/Baggot street. As long as you're not hanging out the washing and being reasonably stealthy, whats the fuss? Especially if it's a Saturday night on Sunday mornings those places are very quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Ds82

If its a night out and you pay for the parking I'd be going around some of the quieter spots round Merrion Square/Baggot street. As long as you're not hanging out the washing and being reasonably stealthy, whats the fuss? Especially if it's a Saturday night on Sunday mornings those places are very quiet.

I was thinking about that but am unsure as it is a rather large A class at just under six meters and not really all that stealthy, I'll maybe drive the car in an have a look around on a Saturday night.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ds82 wrote: »
    I was thinking about that but am unsure as it is a rather large A class at just under six meters and not really all that stealthy, I'll maybe drive the car in an have a look around on a Saturday night.

Thanks.

I live in a suburb very near Cork City (Santry to Dublin) and recently there was a big campervan parked in the estate. Not outside a house or anything. It was the side of the road leading into the estate that didn't have any houses. We all presumed it belonged to a person living there but really it could have been anyone's. Could have been someone out for the night in Cork and getting a cheap bus home then (we have 24 hour buses :P). I was thinking of trying to find a similar place in Dublin, if I ever get a campervan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks.

Clontarf baths carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Thanks.

Under 6m is a tidy size, you shouldn't have much bother in a quiet area with parallel parking, somewhere like the Eastern side of Fitzwilliam sq might fit the bill on the side besides the park.
    It's mostly offices around there but there's probably still some residents and parking a motorhome outside someone's front door doesn't tend to bring the best out in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

+1 lad lane or one of the many laneways that back on to the rows of georgians, at that size and friday- sunday you'd get away with it no bother as long as the lights were all off etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I stayed in a public car park in Sandymount one night as I was getting an early ferry. eircode - D04 V291 Found it using the park4night app.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Itineoman

Yawlboy wrote: »
    I stayed in a public car park in Sandymount one night as I was getting an early ferry. eircode - D04 V291 Found it using the park4night app.

Park4night is the way to go. We did a ten day trip in Wales in July using it. Saved a fortune

Itineoman wrote: »
    Park4night is the way to go. We did a ten day trip in Wales in July using it. Saved a fortune

Definitely agree with you, I went to Loch Ness from Anglesea during the summer and used it for both wild sites and fully serviced ones. Very very helpful app.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Clontarf baths carpark.

Hi. Just to add to this post.

The coast road, the James Larkin road is ideal. Just park the van at the side of the road where it's not blocking a driveway. The houses are set pretty far back from the road, they all have private parking, so you won't get any residents bothering you. There's lengthy parts where there's no driveways at all and if you want to park in the official parking spots towards Vernon Avenue it's free from 7pm on Saturday and all day Sunday.

There's virtually no footfall at night time, around the Baths. Most of the house are families residents not many flats or party properties, no curious idiots walking by but enough vehicular traffic to offset scumbags trying to break in.

Its a cheap taxi from the North quays.

There's a few stealth campers there frequently, one I suspect is almost permanent in the area and two obvious campers always parked up close to Clontarf yacht club. Never vandalised or bothered with. I cycle right by them frequently and I park my car on the road and run/cycle/skate in when the traffic is heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Try the Royal Dublin Showground, as per my experince it is the best option

Where or what is, the Royal Dublin Showground?

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Where or what is, the Royal Dublin Showground?

RDS

Advertisement