Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heated grips or winter gloves?

• 28-09-2019 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

On my ~1hour commute to work the other morning I felt my fingers getting cold. Not bad but it was only 8deg or so setting out.

So I'm looking at heated grips. Or winter gloves. Or both?

I suppose I'm wondering would my Richa Street-Touring do me for the whole year if I had heated grips? I won't ride in the frost but do intend to bring the bike any day it's not filthy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Heated grips are great, especially the oxford sport series but contrary to popular belief they do not heat you fingers too well. Ideally a set of hand guards to deflect the wind is ideal but if you feel the cold then a set of x-fit winter gloves and grips is the best combo (apart from the old farts telling you about courier muffs!)

What I mean about the x-fit gloves (traction fit) is that they are contoured and not just big fluffy gloves that you loose all sense of tactile feedback from the controls.

I swear by the Held Air & Dry series. While they are not 100% winter gloves they will do you in all but mental winter days. I have had two sets of them over the last 6-7 yrs and they are absolutely brilliant in conjunction with either the heated grips and or hand guards.

As for huge big bulky winter gloves I am sure the lads might tell you as I never went for them as I dont like the lack of feel from them. But maybe a set of Gerbing heated gloves?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Heated grips and a good pair of gloves are the way to go. I really miss the heated grips on the Deauville, even if I had them set to 50% my hands were really warm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Heated grips are absolutely wonderful but I'm curious what winter gloves people recommend? It's no craic having cold wet hands and facing into a chill wind in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Muffs.....best thing for me..coupled with heated gloves theres nothing toastier...others would be more worried about the "look".....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Has anyone ever had an issue with the Oxford heated grips coming lose after a while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Muffs.....best thing for me..coupled with heated gloves theres nothing toastier...others would be more worried about the "look".....;)

Same as muffs heated grips and winter gloves hands even sweat most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Muffs all the way.
    They keep the wind off, and primarily the rain.
    Totally unsexy, but I'd never commute in Ireland again without them.

If you have gloves but they get wet then they lose heat quickly, slide on the controls and feel awful... muffs prevent this.

Muffs keep the wind off enough to ride 30 min without heating most days of the year, but heated grips are luxurious. I never had heated gloves, but I think I prefer the option to change gloves that heated grips provide.

One word of caution to the rare idiots like myself who ride in all weather: heated hands gave me a false sense of confidence on icy mornings. Just beacuse your digits are toasty it doesn't mean your Dunlops are.

fleet wrote: »
    Muffs all the way.
    They keep the wind off, and primarily the rain.
    Totally unsexy, but I'd never commute in Ireland again without them.

If you have gloves but they get wet then they lose heat quickly, slide on the controls and feel awful... muffs prevent this.

Muffs keep the wind off enough to ride 30 min without heating most days of the year, but heated grips are luxurious. I never had heated gloves, but I think I prefer the option to change gloves that heated grips provide.

One word of caution to the rare idiots like myself who ride in all weather: heated hands gave me a false sense of confidence on icy mornings. Just beacuse your digits are toasty it doesn't mean your Dunlops are.

That is very sound advice , nearly got caught out in the past because of this.
    Over 20 years riding all weather's also
    Bike is my only transport

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Heated grips.

Tried Keis heated gloves, found they still let air in, my Rocha arctic gloves were better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Thanks lads. Great advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You'll need both, that's if you plan to ride in temps as low as 0. Heated grips and winter gloves are a must IMO. The Oxford grips are the best aftermarket unless your bike has a factory option which are good too, I can vouch for the Honda and yamaha heated grips. Oxford are cheaper typically and I wouldn't hesitate to get them.

I use the richa cold protect goretex in winter, they're probably one of the thinnest winter gloves going and are plenty warm in very low temps when combined with heated grips. The richa artic is also a good option, they're WP but not gore. I know wonda loves his Held AnD, I have a pair but I only use them in summer, there's no liner in them so I wouldn't recommend them for early morning winter commutes. I'll just add that I've been through a lot of winter gloves and so far the richa cold protects are probably the best, that said i have yet to find the perfect glove.

I tried my mates bike with heated grips before I bought them..but didn't...I found they only heated my palms..and only if I held on completely...if I covered the brake , as I normally do my fingers were numb before long....
    Honestly man it's muff all the way...I sometimes only wear my summer gloves with them...

I tried my mates bike with heated grips before I bought them..but didn't...I found they only heated my palms..and only if I held on completely...if I covered the brake , as I normally do my fingers were numb before long....
    Honestly man it's muff all the way...I sometimes only wear my summer gloves with them...

Yes the heat spread isn't perfect on grips and like you said, if you cover the brake you'll have 1 cold finger. There's no doubt muffs are the perfect solution, but it's like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa. Heated gloves are the next best thing but are stupid money for a decent set and gloves wear out a lot faster than grips.

TBH if the lad is commuting I'd hope he's thinking of comfort over looks....few years ago hand guards were laughed at..now everyone has them....make sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

I am going to echo what some of the guys above have said. I have oxford hot grips and last winter with winter gloves I found that my knuckles and fingertips still got cold, for this winter I'm buying a pair of muffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Muffs, muffs, muffs... All bloody day muffs.

Muffs and heated grips and you're laughing.

They look pig ugly but biking in winter isn't about looks, its about keeping warm, dry and upright!.

Muffs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It comes down to safety, cold fingers don't work very well, slowing reaction times and if you are trying to apply front brake and your fingers are like sausages just out of the fridge you can see what happens next.
    Having the sexy bike sliding down the road next to you isn't a cool look anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Having tried heated grips I've since settled on a set of heated inner gloves. Absolutely brilliant, they heat all the fingers and it means you can use the one set of gloves all year.

Having tried heated grips I've since settled on a set of heated inner gloves. Absolutely brilliant, they heat all the fingers and it means you can use the one set of gloves all year.

I have heated grips but would be interested in what inner gloves you use. How thick are they? Could you wear them with summer (WP) gloves? That would probably be the perfect solution for the OP.

They're not thick at all, and yes I've worn them under summer gloves. The summer gloves are slightly large on me, say half a size, and everything fits nicely at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

fleet wrote: »

+1

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It comes down to safety, cold fingers don't work very well, slowing reaction times and if you are trying to apply front brake and your fingers are like sausages just out of the fridge you can see what happens next.
    Having the sexy bike sliding down the road next to you isn't a cool look anyway

A bit drastic

zubair wrote: »
    A bit drastic

Not really...its much the same with any cold part of your body..you can spend a time concentrating on it more than whats happening around you...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not really...its much the same with any cold part of your body..you can spend a time concentrating on it more than whats happening around you...

Indeed: how does your body know it's 'hurt' - it lets you feel pain. Ditto for cold. It's a signal there's 'stuff' going on externally.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Air-cooled engines on an accessible naked bike are, I imagine, better for a quick warm-up at traffic lights. Also, clapping hands briskly together. Not only does this drive the cold away, it's also useful for maintaining all-important alertness. All free.

I post this after viewing the astonishing pricing of winter gloves online.

Make sure if your buying glove liners that you get the ones that connect to the bike electrics, not the battery-operated ones. These are the ones I have, can't recommend them highly enough :

https://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/en/Gerbing-12V-Heated-Glove-Liners/m-m-22791.aspx?PartnerID=16&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz8bsBRC6ARIsAEyNnvpsGWFCM6iFvx19k6j4QmlT0L47qdXTiulRVFD5DTr0OYh9DFMRaw4aAoUtEALw_wcB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Ireland

story-25342-25342-xlarge.jpg

Muff said...soz..Nuff said....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If the wind isnt deflected away from your hand then all the heated grips and gloves in the world wont make you finger tips warm.

I have heated grips, good gloves and handguards on the bike and it would still be cold in the lower temps 6 Degrees and so. - its the wind scooping around the handguards.

I find my setup fine and i only get uncomfortable cold if its 1 or below.

If you want ultimate solution then you have to get muffs. I wont because i dont like the look or the feeling of not seeing my controls. (thats just me)

But they are the best solution if you want the top solution. My one is a close second though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Muffs, muffs, muffs... All bloody day muffs.

Muffs and heated grips and you're laughing.

They look pig ugly but biking in winter isn't about looks, its about keeping warm, dry and upright!.

Muffs

Muffs?

Muffs.

Muffs...

Have had heated grips a few years now and they're an absolute godsend. But I've finally cracked and ordered a set of muffs from Aliexpress (to see how I fare with them) and I'll pick up a pair of Richa Cold Protect after Zubair's recommendation above. The reviews echo what he's said about them.

• Advertisement

Muffs muffs muffs

Advertisement