Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hotel in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was at Cliff at Lyons recently. Very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

That taster menu does sound good actually. It's booked with dinner in the bar I wonder is there a way that can be changed to the restaurant? Even when we we go could we opt for the restaurant I wonder? Surely it couldn't be that much extra to change it

That taster menu does sound good actually. It's booked with dinner in the bar I wonder is there a way that can be changed to the restaurant? Even when we we go could we opt for the restaurant I wonder? Surely it couldn't be that much extra to change it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Taster menu is pricey
    I was there in 2011 and it was 80/person afaik
    Rooms are great
    Everyone has a sea view

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You should probably have stayed in the Europe before making that statement. It's probably the best hotel in the country.

All subjective. The Lake was perfect for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

michdee wrote: »

That's strange when I had the tasting menu it was in the restaurant and it really wasn't stuff like that other person found. No one interfered with my napkin and we didn't have any issue with the wine but maybe that's because we were getting a different wine per course

Bar is nice too don't get me wrong have eaten there many times, fab sea views etc but the restaurant food is a bit special

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Collie D wrote: »
    All subjective. The Lake was perfect for me.

I know just saying try it before you knock it, it's nice to swim out in the hot pool under the mountains on a cold day. Food is amazing.

Thanks all, Europe def going on the bucket list of hotels!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I like Renvyle in Connemara or Kelly’s in Roslare. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

The Culloden outside Belfast, went for a night with the girlfriend and it was spectacular, great dining and great room, I was so happy with everything and I'm a mean person when it comes to spending!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought the Seaview House Hotel in Bantry was one of the most relaxing stays I ever had. Reminded me of a simpler time.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

Harvey's Point. Or if you'd like a smaller, more intimate hotel, then there's none better then Castlegrove House, just outside Letterkenny.

Bushmills inn is really nice
    The bar has little nooks with turf fires you can chill after dinner and enjoy a drink in a rocking chair

Thanks all and great suggestions, will def be making a list!
    Stayed in the cliff House and I have to say simply amazing, from the time we arrived to the time we left. Fantastic, food was incredible and pure relaxing, time out.
    Thanks for all the help

I'm just back from farnham ,what a disappointment :(

Food was cold, spa was over crowded and even the bar area felt over crowded, definitely won't be returning. We were so disappointed that standards had dropped so dramatically in the course of a year

so it's one that can be scratched off any list of possibilities :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I stayed in Castle Durrow over the October bank holiday and it was lovely. The bedroom was huge with a big 4 poster bed, the food was good and the staff were lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Hi. Any recommendations for a secluded hotel within 2 hours drive from Dublin, with big gardens or woodlands on the hotel grounds?

gandalfio wrote: »
    Hi. Any recommendations for a secluded hotel within 2 hours drive from Dublin, with big gardens or woodlands on the hotel grounds?

Waterford castle

Kinnity castle it's authentic and not that far from Dublin, ask what beds are available as some of them are plain crazy like the Viking boat, food is really good and reasonable and can be ceile sessions down in the dungeon at the weekend.
    There's a mountain bike and waking trail in the car park.

It's really really old but I love it. Much prefer it to some of the new castles like adare manor. It's realtively untouched in 1000 years.
    It's also haunted. Probably 70mins from Dublin.
    Eat in the restaurant not the dungeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Kinnity castle it's authentic and not that far from Dublin, ask what beds are available as some of them are plain crazy like the Viking boat, food is really good and reasonable and can be ceile sessions down in the dungeon at the weekend.
    There's a mountain bike and waking trail in the car park.

It's really really old but I love it. Much prefer it to some of the new castles like adare manor. It's realtively untouched in 1000 years.
    It's also haunted. Probably 70mins from Dublin.
    Eat in the restaurant not the dungeon.

Kinnity ticking all the boxes, but doesn't have a spa. Massages are done in your room.

Any views on Mount Wolseley? Does it have secluded walking trails? Not as scenic as Kinnity, but has a spa and there's a good deal currently on Pigs back.

• Advertisement

It used to have, it just wasn't busy enough I'd say, depending on the room they have those freestanding old school baths, nothing like a spa but charming, it's the only place I've seen them. It's not any way modern, need to stress that, your lucky it has radiators.
    Bring a bottle of radox you'll be grand, I'd say they'd probably do a deal if you called them to chat about different rooms.

If you were going as far as wosely I'd keep going and head to mount Juliet, your going way up in price though, food in the French restaurant there is beautiful. Plenty of activities.

Kinnity village does attract a lot of walkers though, could be worth a day trip.

Kinnity ticking all the boxes, but doesn't have a spa. Massages are done in your room.

Any views on Mount Wolseley? Does it have secluded walking trails? Not as scenic as Kinnity, but has a spa and there's a good deal currently on Pigs back.

Wolseley is a dingy dungeon. One of the worst spas I was ever at, avoid at all costs.

Hated it there (can you tell,lol)

Have you ever been to kilronan Castle, not sure about distance though, but absolutely fab old world charm and spa.... Normally pigs back deals too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

michdee wrote: »
    Have you ever been to kilronan Castle, not sure about distance though, but absolutely fab old world charm and spa.... Normally pigs back deals too

The spa at Kilronan Castle is fab, it is well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Slieve Donard in Newcastle Co Down. Same owners as Culloden so I would expect a good standard.

FWIW I found Monart over rated too. Expensive. And the restaurant books out quickly.

Waterford castle is just so under rated

I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels around the country and this one is by far the best that has remoteness, great food, good grounds, bar,etc

Advertisement