Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running issues specific to women

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

juke wrote: »
    I was only discussing this with a friend the other night. She discovered she suffers from hormonal (rather than muscular) leekage. She takes oestrogen twice a month which completely solved her problem.

She has been told that as she ages and her natural oestrogen lessens, that it will re-occur.

Her female GP was zero help by the way, saying there was no such illness, she had to argue to get a referral.

My dog had that when she was about 14. The medication the vet put her on had her sending out all kinds of signals to the horny dogs around the area and mam and dad and their neighbours where hassled by about 3 dogs who just kept hanging round the road until she came off the medication. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

My dog had that when she was about 14. The medication the vet put her on had her sending out all kinds of signals to the horny dogs around the area and mam and dad and their neighbours where hassled by about 3 dogs who just kept hanging round the road until she came off the medication. :pac:

:D:pac:

That may explain recent antics!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

juke wrote: »
    She said she initially suffered from it 12 years ago after the birth of her 2nd child and a different GP gave her supplements then.

It cleared up and has only started again in the last 6 -8 months or so.

Her GP told her there was nothing she could prescribe so she demanded a referral to a gynachologist.

Very interesting as I think mine might be affected by cycle too and have downloaded the fitr app to track. I got a referral to Mater private physio which I think is similar so might go there instead although milltown is meant to be the best. I have asthma in winter so lots of coughing equals weaker muscles too. It’s tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Has anybody mentioned camel toe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Has anybody mentioned camel toe?

lol - they haven’t yet !

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »
    Just going back to the Roar book by Stacy sims. She recommends taking low dose aspirin for the second two weeks of your cycle, before training. I did a bit of research and spoke to a pharmacist today and it's not recommended that anyone take low dose aspirin unless they have heart problems. It can cause gastro bleeding and kidney problems, and if you fall while running you'll bleed more. You can't get low dose aspirin over the counter here anyway, it's only on prescription.

Maybe we need to start a separate thread to discuss the lovely Stacey . I did see that she had a track stack which said before a big event - mix caffeine , low dose aspirin and beta Alanine , I didn’t see the during cycle bit . I’m such a sucker for a quick
    Fix - anything but actually train. I straight away looked to see if you could buy over the counter . I know my dad has them for sure ! Maybe he will give me one for my next race !

So far I bought magnesium , zinc and krill oil . I had iron and vitamin d. I’m still researching the Beta Alanine and the BCAAs. I follow Shaun T and he’s always talking about prework out supplements - they sounded interesting so I looked into them. They all seem to contain caffeine, Beta Alanine and BCAAs. So I would love to know if any runners on here have tried them !

Anyways very interested in hearing ideas for marathon nutrition etc!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Honestly, I don't think it has to be massively complicated. Most of the supplements just result in expensive pee! Eat well, plenty of plants. Cup of coffee is as good a preworkout as anything.

I'm about a 5 hour marathoner and during the race I take a gel around every 5 miles, last one at 23 ish rather than 25.

Honestly, I don't think it has to be massively complicated. Most of the supplements just result in expensive pee! Eat well, plenty of plants. Cup of coffee is as good a preworkout as anything.

I'm about a 5 hour marathoner and during the race I take a gel around every 5 miles, last one at 23 ish rather than 25.

The book we are talking about by Dr Stacy Sims talks about women and sport and nutrition . She doesn’t recommend gel for women but is an advocate of real food to refuel . I haven’t tried this yet it’s all relatively new and I’m just starting to read up on it . Have a listen to this podcast if you haven’t already , it’s really interesting : https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/trainingpeaks-coachcast/id1435395422?i=1000440461735

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Bluesquare wrote: »
    The book we are talking about by Dr Stacy Sims talks about women and sport and nutrition . She doesn’t recommend gel for women but is an advocate of real food to refuel . I haven’t tried this yet it’s all relatively new and I’m just starting to read up on it . Have a listen to this podcast if you haven’t already , it’s really interesting : https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/trainingpeaks-coachcast/id1435395422?i=1000440461735

In the podcast she talks about a pretzel, soft bland carb with plenty of salt. High tail it to Lidl!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

chickey2 wrote: »
    Just going back to the Roar book by Stacy sims. She recommends taking low dose aspirin for the second two weeks of your cycle, before training. I did a bit of research and spoke to a pharmacist today and it's not recommended that anyone take low dose aspirin unless they have heart problems. It can cause gastro bleeding and kidney problems, and if you fall while running you'll bleed more. You can't get low dose aspirin over the counter here anyway, it's only on prescription.

I was listening to a podcast today and she mentioned instead of taking baby aspirin to take whitewillow bark instead I have not looked in to see about getting it yet.

But I am going to do the other tips she suggested to offset the effects of higher progesterone and estrogen in the luteal phase

Increase intake in salt, cold drinks and when hydrating have a little carb and salt in my water.

just an FYI: estrogen spares glycogen so during the high hormone phase during training runs and importantly for races have carbs as we can not access our glycogen like we normally would so that will help us hit higher intensity during this phase.

She also recommended increasing protien in particularly Leucine to signal the body to repair and help adaption and help with Central nervous system fatigue ( lose your mojo ;)) during the LP phase of our cycle. I got some BCAA before as they are good to take when you are unwell it helps with recovery.

I will be putting this all in to practice this week thanks to mother nature for my HM on Saturday

Here is the podcast if anyone want to listen! https://www.enduranceplanet.com/stacy-sims-phd-the-everything-guide-for-female-athletes-how-to-navigate-your-menstrual-cycle-the-menopause-years-cortisol-and-stress-nutrition-needs-and-more/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Am going to read through this thread later as I think it's interesting, just adding a contribution first.

I have never noticed the time of my cycle affecting races/running over the years, not even once. Apart from basic practicalities I guess. I did have issues with low-iron in the past (fixed now) but not with time of the month.

Not adding that to suggest my individual design is so special or extraordinary or anything :pac:. Just as a data point.

Am going to read through this thread later as I think it's interesting, just adding a contribution first.

I have never noticed the time of my cycle affecting races/running over the years, not even once. Apart from basic practicalities I guess. I did have issues with low-iron in the past (fixed now) but not with time of the month.

Not adding that to suggest my individual design is so special or extraordinary or anything :pac:. Just as a data point.

Are you aware of your cycle as in do you track it . I know some friends who never have a notion of what time of the month they are at so bad training sessions or races could never be attributed to hormones .

In saying that we are all different and there can be huge variations in hormones and how your body reacts to them . Even month to month the effect of high hormones on my body changes so there has to be a huge spectrum across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Bleeding nipples?

Bleeding nipples?

Happens way more often for men as we're pretty well restrained by sports bras! :pac:

Bleeding nipples?

( ouch) nope thankfully that is one problem we do not have to worry about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Baby75 wrote: »
    I was listening to a podcast today and she mentioned instead of taking baby aspirin to take whitewillow bark instead I have not looked in to see about getting it yet.

I'm sure you know this already, but since aspirin comes from willowbark, any warnings given upthread about taking aspirin could apply to willowbark as well?

(I haven't listened to Stacy Simms, just chipping in with my tree info :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm the same (apart from the iron, I've never had low iron).

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'm sure you know this already, but since aspirin comes from willowbark, any warnings given upthread about taking aspirin could apply to willowbark as well?

(I haven't listened to Stacy Simms, just chipping in with my tree info :))

always good to be reminded of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have never noticed the time of my cycle affecting races/running over the years, not even once. Apart from basic practicalities I guess.
    I'm another one here who never really gave much thought to how my cycle might affect my running apart from the very obvious ones. Definitely some food for thought on this thread.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Are you aware of your cycle as in do you track it . I know some friends who never have a notion of what time of the month they are at so bad training sessions or races could never be attributed to hormones.

You are right and I've never been in the habit of tracking it as I can always feel totm coming on. But the Olympic athletes seemed to be saying their bad races happened when having their period and I would have noticed that. My periods have been turned-off the past couple of years to fix the low-iron so I can't experiment now ...
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Me too. So uncomfortable. I had a look at Anna's link and they seem to offer the Holy Grail - https://www.oiselle.com/shop/running-bottoms/long-pocket-jogger-shorts

I like the almost-cycling short style of running short because they're tighter, they don't ride up. It's really difficult to find ones that are a decent length, though, and I'm delighted to see Oiselle do them.

Yeuck. I hate lycra!!! Find those tight shorts so unflattering, but it's not the same for everyone of course.

I love the Nike dri-fit tempo shorts and have a few pairs, most recent pair are bright-purple/lilac which would not be my top choice but they have a *zipped* pocket on the back, swoon. Also have a lovely pair of Navy Under Armours (with peach trimming), Ososlo owns the exact same pair.

This is a brilliant thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

[\quote]

Yeuck. I hate lycra!!! Find those tight shorts so unflattering, but it's not the same for everyone of course.

I love the Nike dri-fit tempo shorts and have a few pairs, most recent pair are bright-purple/lilac which would not be my top choice but they have a *zipped* pocket on the back, swoon. Also have a lovely pair of Navy Under Armours (with peach trimming), Ososlo owns the exact same pair.

This is a brilliant thread :)[/quote]

I’d love to be able to wear the tempo-style shorts but they ride up something awful, which is even more unflattering than Lycra, and also results in chafe. I think it might be due to my knock-kneed gait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

[\quote]

This is a brilliant thread :)[/quote]

I’d love to be able to wear the tempo-style shorts but they ride up something awful, which is even more unflattering than Lycra, and also results in chafe. I think it might be due to my knock-kneed gait.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Im not ot sure what this style of shorts is commonly known as but they're my preferred choice! I bought a similar pair in the states about 10yrs ago long before I even took up running and I still wear them but the pocket is very small and no zip, Decathlon are better in that regard.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-dry-2-in-1-womens-shorts-id_8520934.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ariana` wrote: »
    Im not ot sure what this style of shorts is commonly known as but they're my preferred choice! I bought a similar pair in the states about 10yrs ago long before I even took up running and I still wear them but the pocket is very small and no zip, Decathlon are better in that regard.

I like those 2 in 1 shorts but have yet to find a pair I’m happy with. These look nice. Do you find the inner short stays down? That’s nearly always my issue that they ride up? I might get to Decathlon on holidays so could pick up a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Kellygirl wrote:
    I like those 2 in 1 shorts but have yet to find a pair I’m happy with. These look nice. Do you find the inner short stays down? That’s nearly always my issue that they ride up? I might get to Decathlon on holidays so could pick up a pair.

I find the outer layer still rides up and it looks like I'm wearing baggy knickers over cycling shorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I find the outer layer still rides up and it looks like I'm wearing baggy knickers over cycling shorts!

Ha ha - that sounds lovely. I wondered about that too actually. Maybe I should just stick to my skirts. They work for me :D

I’d love to be able to wear the tempo-style shorts but they ride up something awful, which is even more unflattering than Lycra, and also results in chafe. I think it might be due to my knock-kneed gait.

Ouch!

I would not consider myself *un*-knock-kneed :D, but I haven't had that experience fortunately.

ReeReeG wrote: »

I find the opposite - the cycling shorts ride up - well I suppose that means I’m just wearing the baggy knickers .

To be fair they didn’t ride up for while - until washed a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I'm glad you've not taken a bad and dumb-assed physio's comment to heart :pac:

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »

I love that style too. Ronhill trail running ones from 3 years ago are my favourite shorts ever. I'm also a sucker for a good running skort. I end up wearing full length leggings a lot of the time lately though!

Advertisement