Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Cienciano wrote: »
    Saw this on reddit, nicely done. Modded SNZH53J

https://m.imgur.com/a/GWS4RqK

Lovely.. what would a good price be on a Sinn 556a without bracelet? Looking at one in US

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wibbs, you'll love this one from dung deal:D

https://www.donedeal.ie/jewellery-for-sale/rolex/21956827

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Wibbs, you'll love this one from dung deal:D

https://www.donedeal.ie/jewellery-for-sale/rolex/21956827

So my Mercedes e class skoda Octavia will also be in for sale soon :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ahh for fu... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

I hadn’t realised many of the shops were doing interest free and low interest finance through flexifi.

Can get 4-5k over 3 years for a cost of 400 or so. Dangerous.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Keanes are with flexifi for a while now, took ireland a while to catch up really as they have had 0% in the U.K. for a few years now in most dealers.
    Friend of mine picked up an explorer about a year ago and it’s scratched to sh1t and not even paid for, he has no respect for it in my opinion and that’s purely because it’s on finance.

I am heavy enough on watches myself so don’t knock him!

Can you negotiate a discount on an omega i.e 20% then get finance or will they only allow it on full RRP? If it’s full RRP it’s a waste of time.

Must resist!

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Ah this explorer was battered in a couple weeks and a breitling he saved up for is in mint condition

There is a certain protectiveness that you apply to something you have saved for vs something that you can buy on the spot.

Available ability of finance is good but I wonder does it make retailers less likely to offer discounts.

893bet wrote: »
    There is a certain protectiveness that you apply to something you have saved for vs something that you can buy on the spot.

Available ability of finance is good but I wonder does it make retailers less likely to offer discounts.

yeah id say its same deal as cars.. you go in and do a deal with cash you get a discount.. if you go on finance not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

A guy at work today announced he was on the lookout for a Rolex hulk. 13 k from a jeweller in the Midlands. We had a chat about rolex and a couple of non watch lads thought we were nuts. Watchs should cost 200 euro kind of thing.

I was sporting my Merkur Tuna on the razor wire strap which kicked off the conversation

• Advertisement

njburke wrote: »
    A guy at work today announced he was on the lookout for a Rolex hulk. 13 k from a jeweller in the Midlands. We had a chat about rolex and a couple of non watch lads thought we were nuts. Watchs should cost 200 euro kind of thing.

I was sporting my Merkur Tuna on the razor wire strap which kicked off the conversation

yeah i think most lets say under 30s these days would figure a smart watch, or the time on your phone is more desirable than an expensive watch... tbh it kinda surprised me when i got into watches that even quartz watches are not 100% accurate... i figured they were digital so how could they lose time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Anyone an Arsenal fan?
    If not look away now but if so, you may be interested.
    The players got (what I think is) a Rolex a sea dweller for winning the 98 double.
    Also the 04 “invincibles” got a limited edition modded Rolex Milgauss from Titan Black. Only 49 were made to represent the record setting 49 matches unbeaten. The design is based on the dial from the old clock at Highbury.
    Mesut Ozil paid £30,000 for Thierry Henry’s at an auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

funkyouup wrote: »

It has a very mad max look to it. It like it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Time wrote: »

I love the worn look, but only when it's resulting from someone wearing it for ten years. Not a fan of fake distressed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ditto. And Japanese culture has a big thing for authentic wear and tear of personal objects. They have made art forms around it. This seems aimed at westerners.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ditto. And Japanese culture has a big thing for authentic wear and tear of personal objects. They have made art forms around it. This seems aimed at westerners.
    At least it's not called the kimono...
    Prefer the silver I have or black

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Time wrote: »

I love the worn look, but only when it's resulting from someone wearing it for ten years. Not a fan of fake distressed.

Anything with a fake distressed/used look is pretty crappy looking.

Just wear it yourself and enjoy putting a used look on it from normal daily wear.

2shea wrote: »
    Anything with a fake distressed/used look is pretty crappy looking.

Just wear it yourself and enjoy putting a used look on it from normal daily wear.
    Quoted for truth 2Shea. I'm one of the vintage weirdos and one reason is I like wear and tear. I bloody love it. I've had a few new old stock vintage watches in my time over the last 30 odd years *gulp* and have a couple still, but I find them hard to wear. One reason being I don't want to be the muppet who clatters them after so long being "mint" and second reason would be they feel a bit sterile to me, unloved, preserved by dumb fortune. I much prefer the ones already a bit clattered, affected by time and the owners in the interim between their birth and ending up with me. I hope to add to them in some way; clean up, add safe lume, service them, keep them safe, get them "living" again, while adding to their "DNA", so that I can hand them on after me. I like that I may be a part of a link in a chain of such things into the future and on other wrists for god knows how long. You can't buy that with fake lume and distressing. Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Anyone passing through the airport or Kildare Village able to price check this for me please?

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-ie/h38416541-intra-matic.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

Anyone passing through the airport or Kildare Village able to price check this for me please?

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-ie/h38416541-intra-matic.html

If you email or phone them they'll give you a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

If you email or phone them they'll give you a price.

Cheers, will do! Not sure why it didn't cross my mind to do that.

On the same topic, what sort of discounts have people managed to get in Hour Passion outlets, do they have much leeway on prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Cheers, will do! Not sure why it didn't cross my mind to do that.

On the same topic, what sort of discounts have people managed to get in Hour Passion outlets, do they have much leeway on prices?

For Kildare Village you can get 10% discount cards in most hotels, they’re usually in the lobby in a stand with other tourist attraction information. You can get a rebate back via handing in typist receipts at the welcome desk for air miles too. Anything you negotiate on top is a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Sneaking a few mins of the Cricket World Cup this morning, and spotted an Omega advert.

Basically a cut-down (1 min?) version of this series....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT8LS37wEys

worth a watch....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm on holiday in Bulgaria at the moment and taking a trip into the Breitling shop in Bourgas.
    I want to get a look at an Avenger GMT on my wrist, and decide if I'm going to treat myself for my 40th.

I want a diver, happy to swap straps as needed for slightly dressier less bulky occasions.

I've decided that I want a GMT complication, however I have not decided what to buy.
    Currently mulling it over and budget is playing a big part too so that's Rolex out of the picture.
    I'm mulling it over with
    Breitling Avenger 2 GMT
    Tudor GMT
    Omega Planet Ocean 600m GMT ( I like the orange 1 ;) )
    The Rolex that does catch my eye in this category is the explorer 2 but it's double my max budget.

I do have the advantage of being able to buy in the EU and get my VAT back, but budget is tight.

My usual daily driver varies between a zetime and Titanium citizen pro-master.

So anyone got any other ideas on what I should consider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm mulling it over with
    Breitling Avenger 2 GMT
    Tudor GMT
    Omega Planet Ocean 600m GMT ( I like the orange 1 ;) )
    The Rolex that does catch my eye in this category is the explorer 2 but it's double my max budget.

My 2c:
    Breightling Avenger - Nice watch, but the bezel is very Aztec looking and with the silver wings on the dial somehow for me seems cheap (I think thats invictas fault). This watch is a depreciation bomb, Get at least 20% off if buying retail.

Tudor GMT - good choice, new inhouse is nice if your into that sort of thing. Some desirability, and good construction. I find it difficult to seperate Tudor from Rolex on quality, only issue is Tudor does not have the branding. There are two on adverts at the moment. Once chap in Cork has a 2018 Pepsi one on a bracelet for 3400 asking, looks in good condition. There is another on at 4 grand. For me at around 3200 thats a decent purchase but you will loose a little money on resale.

Omega Planet Ocean 600m GMT : Fine watch, interesting movement, nice display back. Problem I have is this is a VERY big watch. My business partner has one and I see it all the time. He is 6 foot and medium build and its ok on his write, I am 5'9'' and stocky, but I have a thick wrist at 18cm and it looks like a clown watch on me. Its the height of the thing. Another depreciation bomb so buy used. 3750 on adverts 2009 model (half price).

Explorer 2 - only value in Rolex sports at the moment. I know a good 40mm for sale white dial (4400 euro) , and there is a 42 on adverts too (6000 euro). Both fomr reliable sellers, PM me for info. Nice watch, however these are the "dogs" of the rolex range if such a beautiful thing can be a dog. I prefer the black dial version.

If I was in your position I think I would go for the tudor with my heart, but the Rolex with my head. I made an offer on the tudor oin adverts but the chap was not willing to budge even an inch. Doesnt matter about VAT if you buy new you will loose money, if you budget is not endless use the used market to get the most you can for your euros.

My 2c:
    Breightling Avenger - Nice watch, but the bezel is very Aztec looking and with the silver wings on the dial somehow for me seems cheap (I think thats invictas fault). This watch is a depreciation bomb, Get at least 20% off if buying retail.

Tudor GMT - good choice, new inhouse is nice if your into that sort of thing. Some desirability, and good construction. I find it difficult to seperate Tudor from Rolex on quality, only issue is Tudor does not have the branding. There are two on adverts at the moment. Once chap in Cork has a 2018 Pepsi one on a bracelet for 3400 asking, looks in good condition. There is another on at 4 grand. For me at around 3200 thats a decent purchase but you will loose a little money on resale.

Omega Planet Ocean 600m GMT : Fine watch, interesting movement, nice display back. Problem I have is this is a VERY big watch. My business partner has one and I see it all the time. He is 6 foot and medium build and its ok on his write, I am 5'9'' and stocky, but I have a thick wrist at 18cm and it looks like a clown watch on me. Its the height of the thing. Another depreciation bomb so buy used. 3750 on adverts 2009 model (half price).

Explorer 2 - only value in Rolex sports at the moment. I know a good 40mm for sale white dial (4400 euro) , and there is a 42 on adverts too (6000 euro). Both fomr reliable sellers, PM me for info. Nice watch, however these are the "dogs" of the rolex range if such a beautiful thing can be a dog. I prefer the black dial version.

If I was in your position I think I would go for the tudor with my heart, but the Rolex with my head. I made an offer on the tudor oin adverts but the chap was not willing to budge even an inch. Doesnt matter about VAT if you buy new you will loose money, if you budget is not endless use the used market to get the most you can for your euros.

Your thinking on Rolex v Tudor is pretty much the same as mine.
    I do think their Pepsi GMT is stunning tho.

I'd had closer to 10k in mind for an explorer.
    I'm leaning towards a black 42mm if and when I can afford one and you've just made it sound a lot more affordable ;)
    Must let my wife come across those prices ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

If you can push to 10k the world is your Oyster. GMT Master 2 ceramic, submariner ceramic...or how about this.

Tudor GMT Pepsi + Omega Speedmaster + Explorer II Polar 40mm
    : that would be under 10k and would be a savage collection.

If you can push to 10k the world is your Oyster. GMT Master 2 ceramic, submariner ceramic...or how about this.

Tudor GMT Pepsi + Omega Speedmaster + Explorer II Polar 40mm
    : that would be under 10k and would be a savage collection.

I'm only a poor albeit stupidly young pensioner Fitz...
    And yet your suggestion holds huge merit for me! :pac:

• Advertisement

Advertisement