Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

• 08-04-2019 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Mod Note: From here on out, any mention of Higgins match fixing stuff will result in a card, fair enough you don't like him but it's already caused enough derailment of this thread and it's really just boring at this stage

Only 12 days until the biggest Snooker event begins, but the qualifying rounds start in two days.

2019 World Snooker Championship Qualifiers
    Wednesday, 10th April - Wednesday, 17th April
    Eurosport Player

2019 World Snooker Championship
    Saturday, 20th April - Monday, 6th May
    BBC & Eurosport

Winner: £500,000
    Runner-up: £200,000
    Semi-Final: £100,000
    Quarter-Final: £50,000
    Last 16: £30,000
    Last 32: £20,000
    Highest break: £10,000
    Maximum break: £5,000

Top half:

Mark Williams (defending champion) v TBD
    David Gilbert v TBD
    Barry Hawkins v TBD
    Kyren Wilson v TBD
    John Higgins (last year's runner-up) v TBD
    Stuart Bingham v TBD
    Shaun Murphy v TBD
    Neil Robertson v TBD

Bottom half:

Mark Selby v TBD
    Luca Brecel v TBD
    Jack Lisowski v TBD
    Mark Allen v TBD
    Judd Trump v TBD
    Ding Junhui v TBD
    Stephen Maguire v TBD
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v TBD

Top half looks like an "easy" path to the final for Robertson, with how good he's been playing lately. I'll be rooting for Williams to at least make the final again, although that's not very probable. Barry Hawkins in the top half would be a dark horse to go deep again. It'd be very surprising if Shaun Murphy got past the first/second round.

Bottom half is death. O'Sullivan, Trump, and Allen, three of the four best players all season (Robertson being the other), plus Selby who could grind out a decent run. Ronnie/Trump could meet in the QFs. Dark horse from bottom half is Luca Brecel, Stephen Maguire has no chance.

Bookies have O'Sullivan, Trump, and Robertson as 1st/2nd/3rd favourites. I'd agree with those three, but Robertson more of a favourite than Trump. Possibility of an O'Sullivan/Robertson final, which has already happened twice this season. Overall, O'Sullivan is the clear favourite, especially since his recent Tour Championship semi-final win over Trump. I do hope he wins, and gets his sixth World title, equalling Steve Davis' record.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Agree with all of the above. Can't wait. After 33 years watching on TV I'll finally be in the crowd for 3 second rounds to a finish, and one QF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Highest break 10k
    Maximum break 5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Highest break 10k
    Maximum break 5k?
    Yes. If someone makes, say a 146 and no one makes a 147, they would win 10k. But if someone makes a 147, then they would get 10k for the highest break of the tournament, plus the 5k prize for making a maximum, for a total of £15,000. It's two separate prizes.

The "rolling prize" for a 147 stands at £5,000 as it was won at the China Open, but it could be "boosted" like last year, to try to get players to attempt a 147 at the Crucible.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Highest break 10k
    Maximum break 5k?

I remember back when they got £147k for a mamimum....the difference sponsorship can make I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Glenman wrote: »

Might be easier to read in this format, quicker to see everyones path I think.
    http://www.worldsnooker.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/World_Championship_2019_Qualifiers_Draw.pdf

So we can see for example Ken has to win game 56, then beat the winner of game 55, and finally beat the winner of game 53v54 for a place at the Crucible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Tough draw for Ken. Likely A Lee/Scott Donaldson/Mark King. Playing well enough recently to have every chance, but will need to be on form to make the finals. Fergal tricky draw too, probably Jackson Page/Mark Davis/Lyu Haoitian. Nothing easy there either, but has the craft and experience to make it if on his game. Fancy them both to win first games at least.

Good piece, though would have to quibble about the "second best stand alone event" of the season line. Not sure i'd regard it as a stand alone event in the first place, it's part of the world championship after all, but to say it's better than the masters or uk or any other event is just needless hyperbole imo. He also fails to mention that players fighting for their tour cards is a huge part of the appeal. Otherwise, a good read though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭tanko

How are the sixteen players who qualify automatically and how they line up in the first round decided?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    How are the sixteen players who qualify automatically and how they line up in the first round decided?

It's a random draw against top 16 seeds when qualifying is finished.

The 16 seeds? The Top 16 ranked players on the tour, based on a rolling two year list, are the "Top 16" and automatically qualify for the World Championship each year.

The defending World Champion is always seeded #1, hence Mark Williams at the top of draw in the opening match. The highest ranked player in the Top 16, not including the defending champ is then seeded #2 for the World Championship. Ronnie is the official #1 ranked player, but he's not the defending World Champion, so he's seeded #2 for the tournament, at the bottom of the draw. Seed ranked #16, David Gilbert is drawn under Williams, seed ranked #15, Stephen Maguire is drawn above Ronnie, etc.

The 16 qualifiers are drawn randomly against the Top 16, like Joe said.

I know the qualifiers are allocated their opponents randomly.
    How are the "top 16" players in the draw decided and their place in the draw.
    Is it decided on rankings on a certain date?
    Edit, have just seen the post above, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Am very excited about the tournament this year.

Have had tickets over the last few years but have had to cancel due to stupid cancer but am finally making it over this year (and in good health!) to three sessions of the final.

On a side note, does anyone know any good spots to put tickets up for sale? Have two single tickets (as my plus one can't go) but given that its a niche enough sport, they're not the easiest to sell and im not looking to tout them.

Roll on April 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

If your tickets are the final, I'd say you'll sell them no problem over there. Could put the word out on Twitter too maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The qualification rounds are under way. Results beginning to come in since last night. No big surprises so far.

It's actually quite gruelling work to make it through the qualification rounds. 3rounds of best of 19. Each match is as long as a final in lots of tournaments. It's no wonder the non seeded players get burnt-out early.

Has a non seeded player ever won it?

Scores here. http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/Matches/Index/14072/betfred-world-championship-2019-qualifiers

With losing in the first round of qualifying, I believe Rory McLeod and Joe Swail are getting knocked off the tour. McLeod lost 10-8 to David Grace, who played as an "amateur" this season, but will be back on the tour next season. Swail lost 10-1 to Joe O'Connor.

Former professional player, 44 year old Michael Judge from Dublin, had one of the surprise results of qualifying so far, defeating Peter Lines 10-9. Judge only received his spot in qualifying because Zhang Jiankang had visa problems.
    Has a non seeded player ever won it?
    Yes. Shaun Murphy in 2005. It was his first ranking title win. He was 150/1 at the start of the tournament. His ranking at the time was #48. He came from nowhere really, as he hadn't done much in the game. It earned him his nickname of, "The Magician".

Technically, a qualifier won in '72 and '79 as well, but they were different formats and number of frames. Only 3 non-seeded players have ever won the World Championship.

1972: Alex Higgins defeated John Spencer 37-32 in a best-of-73 (!) over six days, to win £400.
    1979: Terry Griffiths defeated Dennis Taylor 24-16 in a best-of-47, to win £10,000.
    2005: Shaun Murphy defeated Matthew Stevens 18-16 in a best-of-35, to win £250,000.

With losing in the first round of qualifying, I believe Rory McLeod and Joe Swail are getting knocked off the tour. McLeod lost 10-8 to David Grace, who played as an "amateur" this season, but will be back on the tour next season. Swail lost 10-1 to Joe O'Connor.

Former professional player, 44 year old Michael Judge from Dublin, had one of the surprise results of qualifying so far, defeating Peter Lines 10-9. Judge only received his spot in qualifying because Zhang Jiankang had visa problems.

Yes. Shaun Murphy in 2005. It was his first ranking title win. He was 150/1 at the start of the tournament. His ranking at the time was #48. He came from nowhere really, as he hadn't done much in the game. It earned him his nickname of, "The Magician".

Technically, a qualifier won in '72 and '79 as well, but they were different formats and number of frames. Only 3 non-seeded players have ever won the World Championship.

1972: Alex Higgins defeated John Spencer 37-32 in a best-of-73 (!) over six days, to win £400.
    1979: Terry Griffiths defeated Dennis Taylor 24-16 in a best-of-47, to win £10,000.
    2005: Shaun Murphy defeated Matthew Stevens 18-16 in a best-of-35, to win £250,000.

Great knowledge!

I didn't realise Murphy was a qualifier. Some achievement.

But the highlight from a post packed with highlights was this:

Best of 73! Christ alive. My Mrs wouldn't put up with the snooker on TV for a week on one match!

I was sorry to see Marco fu vs Luo Honghao. I like Luo because he's aggressive great to watch. He's beating Marco 6-3.

Fergal o brien 6-3 up against Jackson Page too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭ Evalyn Ripe Canvas

Inviere wrote: »
    I remember back when they got £147k for a mamimum....the difference sponsorship can make I suppose.

It has less to do with sponsorship than insurance. Back in the '80s and early '90s, tournaments would offer £147k for a maximum and then take out insurance against a maximum actually happening. In the rare event that someone did make a maximum, the insurer would pay out and cover the prize money.

This system worked as long as a 147 happened once in a blue moon. Before 1990, there had been just 8 maximum breaks in the entire history of professional competition, so it was a relatively safe bet for the insurer to take on that risk.

This all changed in the 90s, when the frequency of maximum breaks increased dramatically, thanks in no small part to Hendry, O'Sullivan, and Higgins. In 1999, there were 10 maximum breaks recorded in a single year. Faced with this, insurers became unwilling to insure against the increasing probability of a 147, and the prize money had to be reduced.

• Advertisement

Great knowledge!

I didn't realise Murphy was a qualifier. Some achievement.

But the highlight from a post packed with highlights was this:

Best of 73! Christ alive. My Mrs wouldn't put up with the snooker on TV for a week on one match!

In one of his books Clive Everton describes that 72 final as among the best standard of snooker he has ever witnessed, reckoned Higgins only missed 3 pots he should have made during the whole match. I dont think any of us not of that generation ever had the privilege of watching Alex at his best.

Regarding the qualifiers, i suppose it is relevant that in previous years they were held well in advance of the finals, for years in Prestatyn in early January so it isn't like now where they've got to come through 3 long matches then straight into the two week crucible marathon. Got to be a big disadvantage though Ding did do alright from the qualifiers a couple of years back iirc.

Speaking of maximums, this piece of snooker history happened last month when 19-year-old Thai player Nutcharut Wongharuthai made a 147 break.

This is believed to be the first 147 ever achieved by a woman.

I wouldn't be surprised to see her in a future World Championship.

Marco Fu beaten by Luo Honghao, first big name out really, though not so much of a shock given Marco's eye troubles of late. Also see Angles McManus in a bit of a dogfight with No.1 ranked female Ng On Yee, 7-6 ahead. Reminders of Ken struggling to beat Reanne Evans a few years back.

Was Joe Johnson unseeded when he won the world championships in 1986?

Was Joe Johnson unseeded when he won the world championships in 1986?

No, he was ranked number 16 at the time.

Marco Fu beaten by Luo Honghao, first big name out really, though not so much of a shock given Marco's eye troubles of late.
    Marco, with his recent form, had no chance of getting out of that group, with Luo Honghao and Tom Ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

Any of this on TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

This is it wrote: »
    Any of this on TV?

Eurosport player app

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's often forgotten than Johnson got to the final the following year too.

• Advertisement

Hardly recognized Anthony McGill today ... he has completely shaved his head.

Advertisement