Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raymond Van Barneveld Thread - Final Year

• 26-02-2019 10:38am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think it will be interesting to keep an eye on Barney throughout the year as it's his final year and he is in real danger of not qualifying for any of the TV majors bar this weekends UK Open.

He is currently 29th on the PDC Order of Merit which is good enough to qualify him for the World Championships but not for the World Matchplay or Grand Prix. To qualify for those tournaments he needs to either be in the top 16 of the world or the top 16 on the Pro Tour Order of Merit where he currently sits 96th.

So far this year he has played in 4 out of the 6 Pro Tour events, he's been beaten in the first round twice and only got to the second round in the other two picking up a total of £1,000 for the four tournaments.

He has qualified for one out of the two upcoming Euro Tour events so has a chance to pick some money towards the Pro Tour Order of Merit in that tournament.

He reached the Quarter Finals of the UK Open in 2017 picking up £11,500 so that is the amount of money he is defending this weekend. He needs to reach at least the Quarter Finals again or he could slip further down the World Rankings.

It's going to be a tough year for him and he is in real danger of not qualifying for the majors, especially if he doesn't show up for all of the tour events.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭sc86

some crack if he doesnt make the worlds
    pdc will prob expand field for him or dream up a wild card option for ex champs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a "wildcard" invented for him either.

To be honest i've absolutely no interest in Barney anymore. I don't really see why he's got a fanbase anymore. For the past 5 years or so he's got a scowl on his face most of the time he's on the stage and looks like he'd rather be anywhere else. He has also gotten in the Premier League on multiple occasions when it was undeserved.

Couldn't give a toss if he makes the Worlds or doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

To be fair i think Barney is getting a hard time... if he had not of switched in 2006 then in 2007 and beat taylor in the worlds i honestly feel darts would be in a very different place.

Taylors stranglehold on the game needed as many challengers as could be found and barneys popularity and guidance of MVG cant be underestimated.

If he gets into the worlds with a little help from the organisers i wont be upset over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭shockframe

To be fair i think Barney is getting a hard time... if he had not of switched in 2006 then in 2007 and beat taylor in the worlds i honestly feel darts would be in a very different place.

Taylors stranglehold on the game needed as many challengers as could be found and barneys popularity and guidance of MVG cant be underestimated.

If he gets into the worlds with a little help from the organisers i wont be upset over it.

It helped massively and it was the turning point in darts but the PDC would have still grown anyways. Barry Hearn was relentless in pushing through the PDC name. There was still Anderson and MVG coming on strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Barney losing 8-3 and heading out of the UK open in the fourth round it looks like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Beaten 10-7

no surprise , hes gone to ****e

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

So Barney picked up £2,000 for losing his first match of the tournament in the fourth round. That means he has lost £9,500 in ranking money. We'll have to wait and see how the other players get on before we know if he has slipped down the rankings or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Barney has dropped outside the top 32 to world no. 33 after the UK Open. This means he is officially outside the qualification places for the World Championships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Barney has dropped outside the top 32 to world no. 33 after the UK Open. This means he is officially outside the qualification places for the World Championships.

Is it still top 32 for WC qualification? I thought it was top 64

• Advertisement

Is it still top 32 for WC qualification? I thought it was top 64

No it's the Top 32 in the world rankings and then the top 32 players on the Pro Tour Order of Merit that haven't already qualified through their world ranking.

At the moment Barney is not in a qualifying spot through the World Rankings or Pro Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

This thread is probably a couple of years late.

I don’t get the love in for RvB, he’s looked disinterested for years and appears to have a terrible attitude.

Great player in his day but time to move on, having him in the Premier league is turning it even more so into a reality game show.

TbL

The spectacles are back and hes in his first semi final since 2015?

Back in the top 32. He won more money today than the last 2 years on the floor (6k)

Back in the top 32. He won more money today than the last 2 years on the floor (6k)

Might need it for the alimony ;)

TbL

Beaton by Beaton in the European Darts open early doors

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

He's retiring live on air as we speak :(

Can probably close this thread now. It's a shame but it was clear he was struggling and probably wouldn't have qualified for any of the majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great player and will go down as one of the greats but was one misery guts on stage but for some reason was easy likeable by fans esp us Irish for some reason

Best of luck too him

• Advertisement

darts is change fast , to lose taylor and barney so close together
    how long will anderson be around?
    its getting boring and predictable a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Was a sad interview. Really sounded a broken man.

Himself and The Power will always be the main men in my eyes. That 2007 final will never be topped.

Don’t think he had the motivation for a long time. It took some epic performances to knock him out of the Worlds over the last 5-6 years but that was the only tournament he performed well in consistently.

Hope he stays retired now as he has not enjoyed darts for a long time from the sound of it.

sky might have been better of leave him out of premier league , seams to have finished him off
    he deserved one last crack at the worlds

hes just said on twitter he might have a re think now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I don't think his head has been in it for a few years now. His personal problems probably haven't helped matters. Sad to see.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Himself and The Power will always be the main men in my eyes. That 2007 final will never be topped.

I was at that final in the brilliant Circus Tavern. It's still the greatest sporting event I've ever been too. Incredible final and incredible atmosphere. You could hear a pin drop while the players were throwing but the crowd were going mental between throws. I'll always remember Barney fondly for that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

Cmon Barney, give it one last lash!

Too much of a legend to disappear into the ether on a random Thursday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I really don't think he'd do himself justice at the worlds. His head is obviously on other issues recently but his form in the last few years in big matches has been poor.

Still a legend but think he should've called it a day a couple of years back.

he wont get into the worlds at the minute , thats his main problem!

• Advertisement

He’s confirmed that he’s retired his decision to retire.

He’s back, why am I not surprised

TbL

Advertisement