Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ye Olde Watch Giveaway

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭theheavyhitter

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Ah I'm delighted thanks so much Kintarō Hattori and everyone who voted for me.

I'll send you a pm now :D

Congratulations Blanchy90! Wear your new piece in good health. Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

9ixmjl.jpg

Delighted with the wostok I've never had one like it thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

In the spirit of giving watches that are not getting any wrist time, I'm posting my Sekonda Moonphase :)

It has only been worn on the wrist twice and its a shame to keep it out of the sun light.

The winner can collect or I can post to anywhere in Ireland for €6.50 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This really must be one of the most generous corners of Boards!
    Great to see a hobby bring the best out in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

oxocube wrote: »
    In the spirit of giving watches that are not getting any wrist time, I'm posting my Sekonda Moonphase :)

It has only been worn on the wrist twice and its a shame to keep it out of the sun light.

Fair play, it's quite the looker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I’d love to be considered for this, I’ve only got 2 gshocks which I think are great watches but would love something a bit more attractive for wearing out, maybe I could post one of my gshocks on here to keep the thread going although I’m not sure if they are frowned upon in watch wearing circles!

how.gareth wrote: »
    I’d love to be considered for this, I’ve only got 2 gshocks which I think are great watches but would love something a bit more attractive for wearing out, maybe I could post one of my gshocks on here to keep the thread going although I’m not sure if they are frowned upon in watch wearing circles!

Only post it if you really don't wear it and are happy for it to go to someone else. We certainly don't turn our nose up at G-Shocks.... many of us have at least one, if not more, in the collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd be more interested in your g-shock than a rolex submariner :pac:

Right, so oxocube has asked me to manage this for him and I don't mind obliging. If you're interested in the watch, it's a looker, pop your name on this thread and we'll start a vote from Monday of next week. After the winner is picked they have the option of collecting the watch from oxocube in Balbriggan or paying a small postal fee to have it delivered.

• Advertisement

I’ll pop myself in the hat and throw a watch up next, it’ll have to be the white gshock as the wife brought the black one as a pressie!

I’ll pop myself in the hat and throw a watch up next, it’ll have to be the white gshock as the wife brought the black one as a pressie!

As Kintarō Hattori said you don't have to put up a watch, only if you really don't want it.

I'm planning to put one up but I have a much larger collection

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    As Kintarō Hattori said you don't have to put up a watch, only if you really don't want it.

I'm planning to put one up but I have a much larger collection

Ah yeah I know but it’s in a drawer somewhere unworn since I got the new one so it’s only going to waste, I usually just pop stuff up on adverts for free so someone gets use out of it but when I saw this thread I thought it was a great idea. I can’t wear a watch in work so it’s usually only the weekend I get a chance

Well, this thread is becoming a little ray of sunshine and happiness of boards. Fair play lads!

I feel like I should now start collecting watches so as I can join in and start giving some away!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Hi ,

Im new to the watches and timepieces thread, at the moment I collect antique clocks at tge moment have 15 and after reading some of the posts on this and other I'm concidering collecting watches but my knowledge of same is non existant. I was thinking of buying a birthday date watch 1957 but not a clue what to look out for. If any of watches on this thread comes under that bracket perhaps I may be concidered or if something else comes up to start my hopefully new collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

I'll ask to be put into the hat myself... What a great watch! One of the best threads on boards... Very generous OP...

So just two runners for the watch:

how.gareth
    mario84s

Vote away chaps and we'll tally the votes next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

Both are new posters to the area.

However Gareth for me as he has offered one up also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

+ 1 for how.gareth

mario84s,

I'm gonna go with How Gareth for this round :)

I'm happy enough for How Gareth to get this one, I'm in awe that there are good people out there doing this kind of thing. I'm starting new job next week, going to treat myself to a new Sekonda from Argos (don't judge me, it's a nice watch :-) ) and once I do that, I'll get my 3 year old to pick one of my watches to put up here for the grabs, all in great condition.
    I'll post a pic of it once we have made a choice.
    Also, anyone interested in doing a watch swap, has this been mentioned before? If I'm out of line here, just say so...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Any thoughts on picking a winner randomly instead of a vote?
    mario84s wrote: »
    Also, anyone interested in doing a watch swap, has this been mentioned before? If I'm out of line here, just say so...

If it's a permanent swap, then you could just put yours for trade in the stickied thread. If it's a temporary one, that sounds interesting. I'm prob a bit too clumsy to trust myself with someone else's watch though.

Eoin wrote: »

I think that could lead to accusations of bias, favouritism etc. At least with a vote, whilst it's slow, it's democratic. There are no rules though so if that's what people want to do, then that's fine.

Eoin wrote: »

If it's a permanent swap, then you could just put yours for trade in the stickied thread. If it's a temporary one, that sounds interesting. I'm prob a bit too clumsy to trust myself with someone else's watch though.

I'd be interested in a permanent swap.... Something different....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think that could lead to accusations of bias, favouritism etc. At least with a vote, whilst it's slow, it's democratic. There are no rules though so if that's what people want to do, then that's fine.

I’d have thought a random draw was the literal opposite of that, but not to worry!

So gareth it is by quite a margin. Do you want to fire off a pm to oxocube and you can arrange taking ownership of the watch. Congrats.

• Advertisement

Brilliant thanks to all the support! I’ll get my watch up in the next few days, think it might need a battery so I’ll get that sorted before i offer it up, hopefully somebody is interested in it!

Advertisement