Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dont know if this an old or newish clip but I laughed hard, Im going to hell

https://twitter.com/UberAbdul/status/1405431764982669312

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sod it :o

Invested in what I thought was a good rack and panniers at the bike shop today, and I've had a disaster installing it.

First off, I snapped one of the bolts in the seatpost. Is there any work-around for this or do I have to take a drill to it?

Secondly, I'm confused by the nuts that were supplied with the rack. They're only threaded to about half-way, so you can't put the screws all the way through them. But now the struts are far too loose because they're not fully tightened to the rack? What am I missing here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Invested in what I thought was a good rack and panniers at the bike shop today, and I've had a disaster installing it.

First off, I snapped one of the bolts in the seatpost. Is there any work-around for this or do I have to take a drill to it?

Secondly, I'm confused by the nuts that were supplied with the rack. They're only threaded to about half-way, so you can't put the screws all the way through them. But now the struts are far too loose because they're not fully tightened to the rack? What am I missing here :(

A bicycle mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Couple of pictures would be handy.

Is the bolt snapped flush?

Are you sure the nuts are not nylocs? These are nuts with a nylon ring in them, and as you tighten the bolt, it cuts a thread in the nylon and prevents the nut from backing off. It usually looks like blue plastic

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS54ryeGWLZiQiAzbZeaocThH6wez7KLWJsgw&usqp=CAU

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

cletus wrote: »

Is the bolt snapped flush?

Are you sure the nuts are not nylocs? These are nuts with a nylon ring in them, and as you tighten the bolt, it cuts a thread in the nylon and prevents the nut from backing off. It usually looks like blue plastic

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS54ryeGWLZiQiAzbZeaocThH6wez7KLWJsgw&usqp=CAU

They were nylocs! They were the same colour as the metal which threw me off.

The second strut will just have to make do with gorilla glue. It doesn't feel like it's going anywhere anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

HELP :eek:

Shredded my left shimano shifter on what is to be my turbo bike, have slot with mechanic to change it in July, but need source a spare.

Wonder if anyone has a spare left SHIMANO shifter lying about, was for 10 speed double tap Shimano Ultegra compact (but if i can find tiagra etc that is compatible)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cletus wrote: »
    +1, I can't picture what is going on, also there might be other things people spot in the photos which could be of use.
    The second strut will just have to make do with gorilla glue. It doesn't feel like it's going anywhere anyhow.
    Cable ties are usually going to be stronger than glue, if it can be cable tied at all.

rubadub wrote: »
    +1, I can't picture what is going on, also there might be other things people spot in the photos which could be of use.

Cable ties are usually going to be stronger than glue, if it can be cable tied at all.

Thanks for the suggestions lads, it's secure enough to hold my entire bodyweight so I think I'll call it a success :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That morning cup of coffee you love? It turns out to boost your health too
    Coffee and caffeine are being linked to a reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes and some cancers

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/that-morning-cup-of-coffee-you-love-it-turns-out-to-boost-your-health-too-1.4594807

one thing that's depressing to see out on the bike in the last few weeks is just how pronounced ash dieback has become this year. the countryside is going to look very different in the next couple of years.

556534.jpg

plus, from a cycling point of view, it'll remove a lot of shelter on country roads.

strava has a new feature, group challenges.
    interestingly, it seems you can only select run or wheelchair for the 'fastest effort' option - it's location agnostic, doesn't seem to be an option to set the challenge for a particular segment.

https://www.strava.com/group-challenges

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

one thing that's depressing to see out on the bike in the last few weeks is just how pronounced ash dieback has become this year. the countryside is going to look very different in the next couple of years....

.....plus, from a cycling point of view, it'll remove a lot of shelter on country roads.
    It does seem to be getting a lot more pronounced recently. I've also noticed that many have the ivy cut/removed (like in your pic) presumably by people not realising that they are dying from disease rather than from the ivy.

What's the story with hurley makers? I haven't heard anything from them that I can recall. We might be going back to the short lived plastic hurl of the 1980's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It does seem to be getting a lot more pronounced recently. I've also noticed that many have the ivy cut/removed (like in your pic) presumably by people not realising that they are dying from disease rather than from the ivy.

What's the story with hurley makers? I haven't heard anything from them that I can recall. We might be going back to the short lived plastic hurl of the 1980's.

I know a Hurley maker. His business is doing quite well, he gets ash from cut offs too if he can I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Over 80%, and rising, of ash for hurleys is imported.
    One firm of hurl maker is using bamboo wood.
    Even before dieback, a lot of ash was imported.

We might be going back to the short lived plastic hurl of the 1980's.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0320/1205171-after-ash-alternative-hurleys-of-future-and-present/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

We might be going back to the short lived plastic hurl of the 1980's.

You're older than you think. The Wavin hurleys came out in '77

I didn't play, but a friend bought one at the time (Very cheap IIRC - you could get them for about 50p or £1 using a coupon in the Sunday World). Spiteful things - had all the vibration absorbing properties of a slab of granite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Some of the lads on my son's hurling team (U14 currently) used fiberglass hurleys only 4 or 5 years ago. They seem to have all switched back to ash now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

crosstownk wrote: »
    Some of the lads on my son's hurling team (U14 currently) used fiberglass hurleys only 4 or 5 years ago. They seem to have all switched back to ash now.
    Were they Cultec hurls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You're older than you think. The Wavin hurleys came out in '77...
    :eek: I thought it was around 1982/1983!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You're older than you think. The Wavin hurleys came out in '77

I didn't play, but a friend bought one at the time (Very cheap IIRC - you could get them for about 50p or £1 using a coupon in the Sunday World). Spiteful things - had all the vibration absorbing properties of a slab of granite.

My primary school had them. Seriously painful when 2 would clash together with the shock you would get up the arm. I would say an adult hitting an opponent full belt in a match would do serious damage

Is there a technical name for these toaster racks? Local planning proposal to me trying to include them as bike parking - for residents! Imagine locking something in these long-term, in the open?

Y2U2MTI0ZTJhNjI0Nzg5MjhiMWM3MGZiNzZhYjk1ZjOfNfNJL2GhFX4QFsvaHNYTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI2MzU4NTd8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What's wrong with people just accepting that Sheffield stands and the like are both far far more secure, and not remotely as ugly as those yokes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Weepsie wrote: »
    What's wrong with people just accepting that Sheffield stands and the like are both far far more secure, and not remotely as ugly as those yokes.
    I assume to a non-cyclist, they are perfectly acceptable and have the added benefit of costing next to nothing.

Weepsie wrote: »

That's what I want to submit as an observation, but I fear saying "toaster racks are insecure and unsuitable" might come across as bonkers to a planner.
    I assume to a non-cyclist, they are perfectly acceptable and have the added benefit of costing next to nothing.

And you can squeeze way more 'spaces' in with these, and therefore meet the number required by the local authority.

i had a quick google on various vendor sites, and there doesn't seem to be a specific name mentioned; maybe just refer to them as 'wheel only bike racks' which is not only accurate but draws attention to their flaw.

Low profile of floor rack seems to be the most common term used for them.

EDIT: MB's 'wheel only' rack would be more descriptive in communications I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

buffalo wrote: »
    That's what I want to submit as an observation, but I fear saying "toaster racks are insecure and unsuitable" might come across as bonkers to a planner.

And you can squeeze way more 'spaces' in with these, and therefore meet the number required by the local authority.

Try get some pictures of toaster racks full of locked wheels with no bike attached.

They also bend and break very easily and if you really want to go down the IT letters page BS route they are very low to the ground so grannys, children and blind people trip over them all the time

• Advertisement

this video is clearly an advertorial for strava, but i did not know the 'commute' flag existed for a purpose beyond flagging the ride as a commute for your own benefit - the data is provided free to local authorities to help them plan infrastructure.

Advertisement