Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Couple of decent punts so far anyway.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Spillane just tied the NFL consecutive sacks record for the Steelers. They’ve recorded a sack in 69 straight games now

Man... that was bad! Great stand by Washington but you’ve got to get that with what, 7 attempts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

from midfield - at the first attempt.

seven attempts from the 1 and never looked liked getting there either....

Fantastic score, that is an absolute kick in the guts for Washington after all that effort.

• Advertisement

Momentum has swung entirely. Looks like another edge of the seat finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanev13

Steelers gameplan seems to mean close matches?
    Relying on D.
    Not many risks on O.

Loss of Spillane has been a killer, Washington carving up the D

I have no faith in the offence to win this given what we have seen so far. I hope I am wrong

the receivers will probably drop the microphones in the post game interviews...

Our luck finally runs out. Too many injuries on defence, too one dimensional on offence with all the stalled drives and drops, teams have figured out the short passing game they want to play. This is still a good team but what they are putting on the field right now is not going to scare anybody in the postseason.

• Advertisement

there's two ways it can go - 12-4 (surely they can still edge the Bengals) or they use this as a reset point, Conner back next week might help.

Yeah I’d agree with that but this teams identity is built on the defence, Bush gone and now Bud is just brutal. They can’t depend on the depleted defence to win them games when the offence goes three and out on most drives.

The offence is average at best and really poor at times, they can’t move the chains with all those drops and no running game. I don’t know if it’s something that can be sorted before the playoffs.

This loss has been coming since week 3-4, at least it’s out of the way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

It’s an offense with unbelievable potential on the passing game, but if they continue to drop simple passes that’s all they’ll ever be an offense with potential. There’s no team in the AFC quaking in there boots who’s potentially facing us in the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Pleasently surprised when I saw that result this morn(skins fan) 14 down when last saw the score

OOnegative wrote: »
    It’s an offense with unbelievable potential on the passing game, but if they continue to drop simple passes that’s all they’ll ever be an offense with potential. There’s no team in the AFC quaking in there boots who’s potentially facing us in the playoffs.

Yeah the drops are killing us. All the motion, jet sweeps and stuff that was getting them simple yards earlier in the year has been abandoned and it’s shotgun spread formation all the time now. They are making it easy for defences. That said, if they don’t drop 7-8 catchable balls it’s a very different game.

I just had a look at the Browns run in, they are not out of this division race. I think the Steelers should still have enough but there are some tough matches coming. @Bills, Colts and @Browns are all losses if they play like they did last night.

@Ikozma Washington controlled the second half and deserved the win. Smith is playing some good football. Comeback player of the year wrapped up last night I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Robert Spillane to miss time with a knee injury, defense is getting weakened every game!!

On paper a loss to that Washington defense is no "horrendous" way to lose, they were better and Smith is a decent QB + defense injuries...the recipe was there...

But watching it felt like being spun in a web that the longer the game went on, the less and less chance there was of getting a win out of it. You could normally say in a one score game, it was down to the last drive or two or if you just got another shot...

But the drives were getting worse as the game went on...

Haden was being evaluated for concussion as well, not sure when Nelson is back either. D could be gutted for the Bills game. At the end of the WFT game they were missing five starters with injury on that side of the ball. Just when you want to be coming in to form and full health they are going very much in the other direction.

WFT players were talking after the game about how they had looked at what Baltimore did last week and used that template to slow the Steeler offence. The dink and dunk short passing game is rumbled, and there is no bye week or time to reset because the games come one after the other from here on.

Colts have a strong defense too. But they have faced strong defenses in the Titans and Ravens and put 27/28 points on them in quick order and 38 on Cleveland. Before these two past games, they scored no lower than 24 in nine games, they haven't struggled to score.

The wrinkles are getting Pouncey back, Conner back and the execution of catches - there were yards there lost.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it’s just a slump and they can get going again. I do think they need to evolve the offence a bit, whether it’s with the run or going down the field a bit more to Washington/ Claypool. IDK

Vince added to the Covid list, with Spillane out too for a few weeks and Bush on IR they have no ILB’s except Avery Williamson who only joined a few weeks ago. Not good

Haden almost certainly out as well with a concussion. Going to be tough sledding against the Bills Sunday by the looks of it

Boswell back and a playoff spot confirmed so that's about as much as there is likely to cheer tonight...

Can’t stay up for this one, early start in the AM. I am expecting a Bills win, but hoping for a Steelers resurgence after that defeat Monday. Difficult to see where the spark will come from if that is to happen however. They need to get everyone back and try to build some momentum down the stretch now. Chiefs are almost certainly going to get the #1 seed at this stage so a loss tonight won’t be that devastating, the #2 seed isn’t that valuable any more without the bye.

Saw reports on Twitter that the team are very worried about a knee issue with Ben that he is playing through, but it just isn’t getting any better. Hopefully he will be ok.

Another horribly inept performance on offence by all accounts. Didn’t stay up but was listening to one of the local Pitt podcasts in the car this AM and they were saying it looked like the Mason / Duck offence from last year. Was it really that bad, did anybody stay up?

They also said Feiler and Dotson left with potentially serious looking pectoral injuries. Hopefully at least one of them is ok. They are screwed if both miss significant time.

Going to be a big test of the team and coaches to turn this around I think.

I was up for most of it, but the writing was on the wall early in the third quarter.

They played very well in the first half, but the INT pick six was a game changer, the defense had really been on top - two fumbles, an INT, a sack and only three first downs in six Bills possessions. Steelers offense wasn't fantastic first half and took advantage of the short field turnover for a good TD. Johnson was benched for drops.

Buffalo adjusted second half and the offense collapsed into a puddle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It's sort of how I expected the Steelers to perform from the off, so not a great shock for me the wheels have fallen off a bit, especially with key injuries and dip in individuals form.
    Got lucky for several weeks and it was bound to bite us in the arse eventually.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

It's sort of how I expected the Steelers to perform from the off, so not a great shock for me the wheels have fallen off a bit, especially with key injuries and dip in individuals form.
    Got lucky for several weeks and it was bound to bite us in the arse eventually.

Just watched the condensed game there. The pick six was a killer and they were never in the game after that really. In fairness I think most of us had this as a L from a long way out, Bills are a good team so no cause for alarm.

I think I had them between 10-6 and 12-4 before the season with an outside chance of being a contender if everything fell right. If they had kept the defence together they’d be very dangerous going in to the playoffs even with a sub par offence but they really are struggling everywhere now. They’ll hang on to the division IMO but they way they are playing they’ll be a dream matchup for any of the WC teams.

Browns lost last night so a win @Bengals next Monday would seal the division for the Steelers. Even if the Browns catch them and they both finish 12-4 the Steelers will have the better division record.

As bad as the team had been playing in recent games they surely can’t f this up from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Browns lost last night so a win @Bengals next Monday would seal the division for the Steelers. Even if the Browns catch them and they both finish 12-4 the Steelers will have the better division record.

As bad as the team had been playing in recent games they surely can’t f this up from here.

They'll get the division but it's hard to see them even being competitive in a playoff game.
    Too many significant injuries, lack of a run game and an offence that is being figured out quite easily at the moment.
    Unless there is a significant change in what the offence does over the next few weeks I think this just goes down as a winning season and the Steelers are left with a bigger headache of they go forward with the salary cap and the players they need to re-sign.

Advertisement