Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anti Pike sign in Oughterard.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Id love to know how many trout are killed on the corrib every year

A lot... Most trout anglers knock everything on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

A lot... Most trout anglers knock everything on the head.

I know this fella been saying "pike are the biggest problem ever faced Bla bla" then in a group posts a picture of a dead 4lb trout.. just makes me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Id love to know how many trout are killed on the corrib every year

Well let's say that each angler will keep 2 for the pan once a week, corrib is quite big so say around 100 people fish it a week. That's 200 trout that are taken out and not being replaced. Those numbers are very conservative so it could be a lot more. I've wondered about when they have comps, if someone catches a 3lb trout, knocks it the catches a 3.5lb fish and knocks that. Technically that's their bag limit reached. Now if they continue fishing and catch a 4lb trout and knock that what happens to the 3lb fish? Do they throw it over the side? Would they go back to shore with 3 or 4 fish in their boat to show the officials?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Them lads in the west of ireland couldnt care less if everything except trout and salmon where eradicated from our waters.what chance has angling in this country with the ifi at the wheel, when the ifi sent 1200 coarse fish from sheelin this year to be incinerated, kinales only a boat ride from sheelin. Why not put them in there??they claim they have no money to relocate them, but they can spend 10's of thousands gill netting. I no lads from a pike club who offered to re locate them out of there own pocket, but they were turned down. The EA in england stocked half a million fish last year. How many fish did the IFI stock last year?? its probably minus if u counted all the fish theyve killed with nets
    Have you proof that 1200 coarse fish were sent to be incinerated,cause i know for a fact that the pike taken out of sheelin are well cared for i have seen it with my on eyes ,not like years ago when their was a lot of pike killed in gil nets now most of them are saved and relocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

file:///C:/Users/Kieran/Desktop/Downloads/25.%20Invoice%2031032017%20College%20Proteins%20%20with%20docket%20(1).pdf

file:///C:/Users/Kieran/Desktop/Downloads/20.%20Invoice%20280417.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209656676469281&set=pcb.1901286463446086&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209656677149298&set=pcb.1901286463446086&type=3&theater

• Advertisement

blackpearl wrote: »
    Have you proof that 1200 coarse fish were sent to be incinerated,cause i know for a fact that the pike taken out of sheelin are well cared for i have seen it with my on eyes ,not like years ago when their was a lot of pike killed in gil nets now most of them are saved and relocated.

I know they've been re located in the past. But not this year. Its like theyre trying to drive a wedge between anglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ColmEm

The wedge between anglers is all down to IFI. 100% They have always handled this extremely badly.

Oughterard Anglers Association's Facebook post is just embarrassing. Some of the members themselves must be really cringing at that. Not too many have commented on it.

ColmEm wrote: »
    The wedge between anglers is all down to IFI. 100% They have always handled this extremely badly.

Oughterard Anglers Association's Facebook post is just embarrassing. Some of the members themselves must be really cringing at that. Not too many have commented on it.

dont worry, im sure theres plenty of dinosaurs in galway, who are not on facebook who'd agree with that mentality. I worked with an old lad before, the topic of fishing came up. I told him i loved catching pike. He said that they're vermin and they'd eat everything in the river. I asked him,so wat do you fish for them. Trout he said. Then he went on to tell me, him and his brother caught 120 trout during the last year. I asked him how many did ye keep?? he said, any of them that'd fit into the pan. So i assumed thats was most of them.I asked him then" are you sure its the pike eating everything in the river or is it you and your brother" he didnt know wat to say..lol Thats the mentality your dealing with!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

dont worry, im sure theres plenty of dinosaurs in galway, who are not on facebook who'd agree with that mentality. I worked with an old lad before, the topic of fishing came up. I told him i loved catching pike. He said that they're vermin and they'd eat everything in the river. I asked him,so wat do you fish for them. Trout he said. Then he went on to tell me, him and his brother caught 120 trout during the last year. I asked him how many did ye keep?? he said, any of them that'd fit into the pan. So i assumed thats was most of them.I asked him then" are you sure its the pike eating everything in the river or is it you and your brother" he didnt know wat to say..lol Thats the mentality your dealing with!!

Yep.. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Science isn't a pick and mix. You can't believe the parts that benefit you, and choose to ignore bits you don't like or agree with.

The reason the Oughterard anglers are so up in arms, is because IFI are reviewing their policies on pike management on the 7 designated "wild" (managed) trout lakes. Its possible that they will stop the culling, which will actually benefit trout stocks. But if you choose believe pike are the problem, and ignore the scientific proof that they are not, obviously this is bad news.

They mention the "ultra radical Irish Angling Alliance" in one of their posts. I know some of the lads in the IAA, and for some of them, angling is their livelihood. Because if the IAA, waterways Ireland have stopped cutting the weeds in the canals during spawning times. It wasn't a big deal to get them to stop wither.

• Advertisement

ye i know derek myself and hes passionate about it. But its not just pike they're netting its everything else that happens to swim into them.The IAA are also tryin make it illegal to take tench. Not that its gonna make a difference to you know who, i cant say who they are or ill get banned again..lol. But at least they're trying to do something. The other angling groups have been very quiet over the years on the various issues,I wonder why that is??

I think that ban on killing tench and bream is going to happen. I was talking to Derek in the shop about it a few weeks ago. The problem with the law at the moment is if there is a gang of people, lets say 5, then they are currently able to have 20 coarse fish between them (4 per person). If the new law is passed, if they are stopped and searched, and they have one tench or bream, they will be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Corrib Hopper

To be fair to the Oughterard Anglers , they are only bringing to the fore what is a risk to the future of Lough Corrib. They are not seeking the total eradication of Pike from Lough Corrib or its system. Their desire , echoed by most if not all angling clubs around that lake , is that the IFI continue to monitor and manage the Pike population on Lough Corrib.
    History has shown that a managed fishery best suits the ecology of Lough Corrib.

What the Oughterard Anglers have achieved is to bring this issue to the attention of the wider community. Collaboration is the way forward in continuing to deliver a manged fishery for all anglers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

No matter what IFI do, there will be a wedge between anglers. Keep gillnetting, the pike anglers are hopping mad. Stop netting, the trout anglers are hopping mad. Right now, the pike anglers are hopping mad that stock management is still going on. The trout anglers are hopping mad as they think stock management is under threat.

Both groups have said the science should dictate policy. Until the science doesn't support their viewpoint, that is.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't...

What the Oughterard Anglers have achieved is to bring this issue to the attention of the wider community. Collaboration is the way forward in continuing to deliver a manged fishery for all anglers.

Oughterard Anglers are embarrassing themselves and their members with their latest drivel. I could understand if a lot of trout anglers from that side of the fence wouldn't want to be too closely associated with that kind of carry on.

Zzippy wrote: »
    No matter what IFI do, there will be a wedge between anglers. Keep gillnetting, the pike anglers are hopping mad. Stop netting, the trout anglers are hopping mad. Right now, the pike anglers are hopping mad that stock management is still going on. The trout anglers are hopping mad as they think stock management is under threat.

Both groups have said the science should dictate policy. Until the science doesn't support their viewpoint, that is.

It would be easy to mistake from your post that the IFI are on the fence on this. They are not. Having to admit that pike are a native species and getting caught on camera not following regulations regarding their 'pike management' have been big hits for the IFI. They want to kill these pike, no question. The top men there are old fashioned trout men with old fashioned ideas.

They've had the likes of Matt Hayes damning them. They've had protests regarding their practices which brought anglers in from the UK. UK anglers who used to come to Ireland on a regular basis solely for the pike fishing.

IFI have absolutely ruined Ireland's reputation as one of the best pike fishing locations in the world. They've had their trout blinkers on for too long and in the mean time pike and predator fishing popularity has soared. We could, we should be pushing Ireland as the place to come. We should be making a fortune from it! Instead we still have the same old trout codgers running the show with the same old ideas. Things are changing for the good, slowly but surely but it will probably take a while yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It would be easy to mistake from your post that the IFI are on the fence on this. They are not. Having to admit that pike are a native species and getting caught on camera not following regulations regarding their 'pike management' have been big hits for the IFI. They want to kill these pike, no question. The top men there are old fashioned trout men with old fashioned ideas.

They've had the likes of Matt Hayes damning them. They've had protests regarding their practices which brought anglers in from the UK. UK anglers who used to come to Ireland on a regular basis solely for the pike fishing.

IFI have absolutely ruined Ireland's reputation as one of the best pike fishing locations in the world. They've had their trout blinkers on for too long and in the mean time pike and predator fishing popularity has soared. We could, we should be pushing Ireland as the place to come. We should be making a fortune from it! Instead we still have the same old trout codgers running the show with the same old ideas. Things are changing for the good, slowly but surely but it will probably take a while yet.

You have rather misinterpreted my post. I was solely referring to the divide/wedge between angling groups that you said IFI created. I don't disagree at all with what you posted above, but it is nothing to with what I posted. Pike and trout angling rep groups are diametrically opposed on this issue - this is not a wedge created by IFI. And no matter which direction IFI take on this issue, one group will be alienated and that divide will be no closer to being bridged.

Have to agree with a lot of what you say,but hands of sheelin cavan ,monaghan and westmeath must have at least 800 pike lakes between them and sheelin the best dryfly trout lake in the world the removing of pike here is a good pratice once they are relocated and handled safely.

You have rather misinterpreted my post. I was solely referring to the divide/wedge between angling groups that you said IFI created. I don't disagree at all with what you posted above, but it is nothing to with what I posted. Pike and trout angling rep groups are diametrically opposed on this issue - this is not a wedge created by IFI. And no matter which direction IFI take on this issue, one group will be alienated and that divide will be no closer to being bridged.
    There's no misrepresentation.
    No matter what IFI do, there will be a wedge between anglers.

As I said,
    It would be easy to mistake from your post that the IFI are on the fence on this.

IFI have led trout anglers down a path which as it turns out, may have been the wrong one. But now old beliefs will die hard. IFI have always shown great disdain to pike anglers in the process.

You think IFI and their actions have had no part to play in the scale of the divide. I absolutely think that they have had. We can disagree on that, that's fine. Anyone else can make up their own mind.

Have to agree with a lot of what you say,but hands of sheelin cavan ,monaghan and westmeath must have at least 800 pike lakes between them and sheelin the best dryfly trout lake in the world the removing of pike here is a good practice once they are relocated and handled safely.[/QU

How long have pike been in Sheelin? id say most people would be happy if the fish were relocated but theyre not.Have you seen the video on youtube of the IFI's personal doing the gill netting, throwing specimen pike into a mortar bin with a few inches of water in it. then u seen 3 more big pike belly up ina bin. People would travel from all over the world to fish to catch fish like that. But we have a group of backward mongo's who are to stuck in the 60's to see that.

BTW was it not the farmers how destroyed Sheelin a few years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

There's no misrepresentation.

As I said,

IFI have led trout anglers down a path which as it turns out, may have been the wrong one. But now old beliefs will die hard. IFI have always shown great disdain to pike anglers in the process.

You think IFI and their actions have had no part to play in the scale of the divide. I absolutely think that they have had. We can disagree on that, that's fine. Anyone else can make up their own mind.

I would agree IFI has made anglers apart, there's trout anglers vrs pike anglers it's so stupid, the angling clubs around the corrib saying "it's the worst problem ever faced" I'm sure it is.. the Owenriff river which was a "Salmoid fishery" has become "overrun" with pike.. even though the stream was dried up I wonder if the pike are still their eating trout :D I would like them to change their ways and to treat all angling the same.. Course fishing could be sh*te in a good few years if it keeps going with some "people" killing of lakes/rivers. In gangs and no one stopping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Have to agree with a lot of what you say,but hands of sheelin cavan ,monaghan and westmeath must have at least 800 pike lakes between them and sheelin the best dryfly trout lake in the world the removing of pike here is a good pratice once they are relocated and handled safely.
    This year it was IFI policy to kill all pike under 85cms they caught on Sheelin and the other lakes where they carry out "predator Control". Not a single pike was transferred. Some 1,600 coarse fish were also removed and killed with very many in the 1 lb to 2 lb range and better.

Top brass in IFI tell pike angling reps one thing and trout angling reps another thing and both groups are fed up with it. IFI must think that we we dont compare notes from time to time. We do. None of the angling federations have confidence in IFI senior management. That said, I believe that our view on this is also shared my the majority of IFI staff.

jkchambers wrote: »
    Top brass in IFI tell pike angling reps one thing and trout angling reps another thing and both groups are fed up with it. IFI must think that we we dont compare notes from time to time. We do. None of the angling federations have confidence in IFI senior management. That said, I believe that our view on this is also shared my the majority of IFI staff.[/QUOTE

Well can the top angling feds not come together, and write to the minister and tell him, that the people who are responsible for managing our water have failed miserably.

This year it was IFI policy to kill all pike under 85cms they caught on Sheelin and the other lakes where they carry out "predator Control". Not a single pike was transferred. Some 1,600 coarse fish were also removed and killed with very many in the 1 lb to 2 lb range and better.

WHAT you pike anglers want is it all every lake, it is not happing you are the greedy ones sheelin is a trout lake and that,s the way its going to stay some one blamed the farmers but it was the LSTPA and their hard work that brought it back to what it is today ,people like you ranting and raveing this years about pike netting why dont you just get on with your fishing and enjoy life .

WHAT you pike anglers want is it all every lake, it is not happing you are the greedy ones sheelin is a trout lake and that,s the way its going to stay some one blamed the farmers but it was the LSTPA and their hard work that brought it back to what it is today ,

Good to see that the divide is alive and well, us VS them.
    Pike anglers are supposed to be the greedy ones, but I don't ever remember any "pike" angler asking for an lough to be pike fishing only.
    The fact that anglers want (Massive)lakes to be one species only amazes me, especially when the peak times for pike and trout angling fall at different times of the year.
    people like you ranting and raveing this years about pike netting why dont you just get on with your fishing and enjoy life .

Would you just sit back and let IFI put gill nets at the entrance to the feeder streams of Sheelin every November?
    From IFI's own stock survey figures, gill netting pike has not resulted in an increase in trout numbers. In fact I think there was a slight increase in trout numbers when the netting was stopped for a while in the 90s,
    jkchambers can probably confirm if I'm correct or not.
    The whole act of gill netting is politically based, its to keep some people happy, but has no positive impact on trout numbers. As I said in an earlier post, pike management on the 7 lakes costs over €100k a year. If the whole idea is to improve trout numbers, then why not spend the €100k on other projects that might actually do that?

Its because pike are easy to blame. big bad pike eating everything. its a lot easier to blame pike than tryin to get farmers to be more careful where they spray there fertilizer. Or maybe trying lookin closer to home with the amount of trout anglers have killed for the pot over the years.

You'd swear they were the only place in ireland that trout anglers have for themselves to fish. i live near two rivers,theres 3 stretches on them rivers that are trout fishing only. And thats within a 10 mile radius of me. Im sure its like that up and down the country on rivers, Trout fishing only, so stop makin it sound like we are tryin to take over the waterways.

BTW i know how important them wild trout fisheries are, but when anglers on them hold c & k comps, and keep every legal size fish they catch, the same fish who are very important to the eco system. it makes your case for gillnetting laughable.

But what happens when more trout lakes wanna be deemed " wild trout fisheries" are we gonna have more people then pushing the IFI for gillnetting on other lakes like derrevargh, ree, derg, ramor??

I actually dont have a problem if ye want them lakes trout only. your right there are loads of lakes for pike in ireland. But if the fish cant be relocated humanly and properly,then gillnetting shouldn't be done. End of story. Most anglers on all sides wouldnt have a problem with that, In this day and age to be netting fish and dumping them or selling them off to pet foods, after all the problems weve had with poaching, is a f**kin disgrace.

WHAT you pike anglers want is it all every lake, it is not happing you are the greedy ones sheelin is a trout lake and that,s the way its going to stay some one blamed the farmers but it was the LSTPA and their hard work that brought it back to what it is today ,people like you ranting and raveing this years about pike netting why dont you just get on with your fishing and enjoy life .
    I never had a problem with Lough Sheelin being developed primarily as a brown trout fishery. It is essentially a public lake where anglers need to pay an IFI permit to fish. It should not be closed to permit paying pike and coarse anglers during the Winter months. If IFI insist on removing pike then they should be transferred to other waters like has been done for the last 20 years or so

I never had a problem with Lough Sheelin being developed primarily as a brown trout fishery. It is essentially a public lake where anglers need to pay an IFI permit to fish. It should not be closed to permit paying pike and coarse anglers during the Winter months. If IFI insist on removing pike then they should be transferred to other waters like has been done for the last 20 years or so

its a trout lake leave it alone no winter pike fishing and no coarse as i have said theres enough lakes around cavan for coarse fishing and pike fishing if you want coarse fishing go to them but no you want sheelin opened thats been greedy ,not going to happen.

• Advertisement

Have to agree with a lot of what you say,but hands of sheelin cavan ,monaghan and westmeath must have at least 800 pike lakes between them and sheelin the best dryfly trout lake in the world the removing of pike here is a good practice once they are relocated and handled safely.[/QU

How long have pike been in Sheelin? id say most people would be happy if the fish were relocated but theyre not.Have you seen the video on youtube of the IFI's personal doing the gill netting, throwing specimen pike into a mortar bin with a few inches of water in it. then u seen 3 more big pike belly up ina bin. People would travel from all over the world to fish to catch fish like that. But we have a group of backward mongo's who are to stuck in the 60's to see that.

BTW was it not the farmers how destroyed Sheelin a few years ago?

Just to let you no, as you dont no whats going on with the few inches of water in the cubes they use on sheelin, it is to do with more oxygen in the cubes and less fatalitys if the cubes were full the fish would die its the shallow water that creates more oxygen when its been moved about.

Advertisement