Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call for reintroduction of Saint Patrick's Day alcohol ban

Options
2»

Comments

28064212 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-off-licences-patricks-day-1363370-Mar2014/
    Just back from a local off-licence that said they wouldn't sell until after 4

Just saw some ...."man"... utterly tear some young girl apart at the checkout in a Spar as she wouldn't serve him booze til 4. Security kicked him out, but the girl was very shook.

People are crazy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wouldn’t, not couldn’t. That article makes it clear that it’s optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Realise that article is 5 years old, did it happen last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Just saw some ...."man"... utterly tear some young girl apart at the checkout in a Spar as she wouldn't serve him booze til 4. Security kicked him out, but the girl was very shook.

People are crazy...

I used to work in a supermarket in college. Some people would take it personally when I couldn’t sell them booze on Sunday mornings. Some even accused me of judging their drinking habits.

“Ah, go on, swipe it through there”

“No, I actually can’t, the till won’t read the barcode outside of legal hours.”

“Ah, go on!”

And then off in a huff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Dial Hard wrote: »
    That is utter, utter nonsense. Gardai can't make unilateral licensing calls like that. Either you're having us on or someone in your local Lidl needs a serious talking-to.

Eh, no, not having you on...

Was in SuperValu since and it was the same there.

Felt sorry for the security guard in Lidl as he was tasked with standing beside the alcohol section and telling people they couldn't buy any until 4pm.

One group of Germans were, understandably, flabbergasted at being told about the time restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

28064212 wrote:

A) that article is dove years old and B) the code it refers to is voluntary.

All I can say to anyone whose local shop is adhering to this nonsense is to vote with your wallet. Thankfully my local Lidl had zero issue with selling me a bottle of wine when I was doing my weekly shop at 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Dial Hard wrote: »
    All I can say to anyone whose local shop is adhering to this nonsense is to vote with your wallet.
    You can't expect people to no longer use their local supermarket over it.
    Thankfully my local Lidl had zero issue with selling me a bottle of wine when I was doing my weekly shop at 3pm.

Is it a branch near Dublin city centre though?

The reasoning was clearly to prevent people buying alcohol to drink whilst attending the parade.

Makes their job easier I guess but personally I think it shouldn't happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

L1011 wrote: »
    Next years Good Friday is likely to be a mess due to people deliberately rebelling - but in 2019 it'll be the Friday of a bank holiday and hence dead everywhere in Dublin.

Quoting myself from 2017 - basically this is what came to pass. Good Friday was dead. Suspect total alcohol purchasing for the weekend was down as the allure of the 'forbidden' gaff party was gone, and it was just the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend.

An alcohol ban for Paddys Day would just see those gaff parties reappear on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

L1011 wrote: »
    Quoting myself from 2017 - basically this is what came to pass. Good Friday was dead. Suspect total alcohol purchasing for the weekend was down as the allure of the 'forbidden' gaff party was gone, and it was just the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend.

An alcohol ban for Paddys Day would just see those gaff parties reappear on that day.

.... I'm so confused. Did I drink that much last weekend that I missed Good Friday this year?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Adamocovic wrote: »
    .... I'm so confused. Did I drink that much last weekend that I missed Good Friday this year?

The one year of potential insanity didn't even happen, that was my slightly mangled point.

If that carried over it'd indicate that opening nightclubs longer wouldn't have as bad an adjustment period.

• Advertisement
Advertisement