Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Season Discussion

• 02-02-2016 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

It's getting to that time again footy fans. Time to start thinking about DreamTeam selections, looking up the training reports to see whose going to win the "Training the House Down Award".

Been a quiet enough off season, other than the Essendon decision which is going to hurt the season, yet again. The sooner this crap is over with the better.

From a Fremantle perspective, I'm looking forward to seeing how Bennell fits into the team and what he can bring. I don't think we will be challenging for the flag this year though. I just think not enough has changed from last year to get us over the line. We will hopefully still be up in the top 4 though.

So what are you looking forward to? Who do you think will take the cup this year? Top 4? Top 8? Is there a team that can take the wooden spoon off of Essendon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Parawind

Mackman wrote: »
    Been a quiet enough off season, other than the Essendon decision which is going to hurt the season, yet again. The sooner this crap is over with the better.

Is there a team that can take the wooden spoon off of Essendon?

3 seasons ruined with this crap already :(

*Cries and looks forward to 2017*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Hopefully this is the end of it. And everyone can move on to the important business of footy.

Im hopefully heading down to the first Freo NAB cup match with the tigers next week. My Nephew is running onto the pitch with the players :D

Hopefully this is the end of it. And everyone can move on to the important business of footy.

You just had to say it!

http://m.essendonfc.com.au/essendon/news/2016-02-11/afl-players-association-statement

Bloody hell. James Hird's Cult of Innocence is still effecting them. Essendon have no one to blame but themselves for this mess. I suppose the players have nothing else to do this year, may aswell spend it in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 huddler

All Ireland SuperCoach 2016 League: 543176

Wire in!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

So, new season just around the corner. Be good to get back up and running and move on from the whole Essendon saga, but it will hang over the whole season regardless. The Anzac game too will bring it back into the spotlight when that comes around.

So, anyone have any favorites to win it out this year? Will Freo finally bag a flag? Will the Eagles keep their form from last year? Can anyone stop the Hawks again?

bruschi wrote: »
    So, new season just around the corner. Be good to get back up and running and move on from the whole Essendon saga, but it will hang over the whole season regardless. The Anzac game too will bring it back into the spotlight when that comes around.

So, anyone have any favorites to win it out this year? Will Freo finally bag a flag? Will the Eagles keep their form from last year? Can anyone stop the Hawks again?

To answer my own questions

No
    Yes
    Yes!

That was some performance from the bulldogs Freo game. Brilliant and brutal, depending on which side you analyse. I missed the hawks game today, but sounded like a cracker. Dangerfield showing why he is one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Bloody ESPN extended a womens tennis game and was late showing the Port game by 20 or so minutes and then my recording cut out with the last few minutes to go.

Some real superstars in that team with Wingard/Gray/Wines. Hopefully they can forget last season and come back to the team they were in 2014. I had such high hopes last year!

sneaky €5 on Port @10/1 or Bulldogs @11/1 for the flag??

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

can't see the hawks winning again this year. i'd love the doggies to do well this year.

That was some performance from the bulldogs Freo game. Brilliant and brutal, depending on which side you analyse.

ugh, that wasn't pretty :( So much for Lyon's promise of changing things after finals last year. Same crap dealt up with the same players.

Geez the Cats look good, Dangerfield still hasn't peaked! Great showings by the Swans and Bulldogs. I would love for Freo to play that attacking style football. Looks so good to watch.

• Advertisement

ugh, that wasn't pretty :( So much for Lyon's promise of changing things after finals last year. Same crap dealt up with the same players.

Geez the Cats look good, Dangerfield still hasn't peaked! Great showings by the Swans and Bulldogs. I would love for Freo to play that attacking style football. Looks so good to watch.

that really is Freos issue. They had sorted their defence last year, a mean tough hard to break down side. But if you dont score yourself, you wont win. The aim is to score more than your opposition, but Lyons philosophy seems to be to concede less than your opposition. He needed an expansion on his game and bring an attacking element once he had the defensive side sorted. But it seems the other teams have moved on and figured them out whilst he has stayed with old tactics.

that really is Freos issue. They had sorted their defence last year, a mean tough hard to break down side. But if you dont score yourself, you wont win. The aim is to score more than your opposition, but Lyons philosophy seems to be to concede less than your opposition. He needed an expansion on his game and bring an attacking element once he had the defensive side sorted. But it seems the other teams have moved on and figured them out whilst he has stayed with old tactics.

His inability to change is his biggest downfall. His response to last week will be to drop Weller (who did pretty well for a 19yr old) and bring in DeBoer (experience). When he should be dropping guys like DeBoer, Mzungu, Mayne, Clancee Pearce, even Ballantyne and bringing in some young blood to give the old guys a kick up the arse.

Bad news about Ellis for the Eagles, but the way you guys covered injuries last year, I'm sure ye can cover it. (bastards)

His inability to change is his biggest downfall. His response to last week will be to drop Weller (who did pretty well for a 19yr old) and bring in DeBoer (experience). When he should be dropping guys like DeBoer, Mzungu, Mayne, Clancee Pearce, even Ballantyne and bringing in some young blood to give the old guys a kick up the arse.

Bad news about Ellis for the Eagles, but the way you guys covered injuries last year, I'm sure ye can cover it. (bastards)

Absolutely. It was his downfall at St Kilda and it seems he still hasnt learned from it. Which is worrying considering the big contract extension he just got.

Yeah Ellis will be a loss, but considering that Jetta and or Masten could be back this week, with Wellingham, Sheed and Brown due back later, the strength in depth looks better the longer the season goes on.

Absolutely. It was his downfall at St Kilda and it seems he still hasnt learned from it. Which is worrying considering the big contract extension he just got.

In fairness, Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Walters, Alex Pearce, Neale and Tanerner (hopefully Weller) have all been brought into the best 22 under Ross. So he's not against playing kids anymore, he just won't make a dramatic change to shake things up.

He can't stand the idea of loosing a few games to blood the young guys. He just wants to win as many games as possible all the time.

In fairness, Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Walters, Alex Pearce, Neale and Tanerner (hopefully Weller) have all been brought into the best 22 under Ross. So he's not against playing kids anymore, he just won't make a dramatic change to shake things up.

He can't stand the idea of loosing a few games to blood the young guys. He just wants to win as many games as possible all the time.

yeah true. I suppose I meant more along the lines of the actual gameplay tactics rather than personnel, which as you say has improved at Freo. I expect this weeks game against the Suns to be utterly dire and low scoring. It will be all hands to the pump, defend for their lives, and pick off a few scores to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

looked like some game this morning, gutted i missed it.

:(

They said the Dons wouldn't win a game all season. :D I can't believed we actually won!

Hawthorn were super this morning. Just completely outplayed the eagles. Their movement and work rate was fantastic and the eagles had no answer at all.

And after Geelong beat them last week, they then go and lose to Gws! 2 weeks in and already plenty of ups and downs and talking points!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Eagles v dockers next week. Hopefully the Eagles will smash them. Can't stand that smug Ross Lyon buck.

• Advertisement

rightyabe wrote: »
    Eagles v dockers next week. Hopefully the Eagles will smash them. Can't stand that smug Ross Lyon buck.

I'd expect Freo to be massively up for this one. They can't be as bad as they are showing and nothing like a Derby to exceed expectations. The eagles should win it based on form, but that goes out the window once they both hit the field

Yeah Derbies are usually 50/50 regardless of current form, but I don't see how Freo can win this one.

Fun Fact: This will be Pavlich's 33rd Derby. He has never missed one since being drafted with pick 4 by Freo in 1999 :)

12994366_10153940990627224_8438556156888936190_n.jpg?oh=9e243c4d9efae541158628ec21b7b7d9&oe=57BBE7B1

We're the Eagles, we're flying high....

Good win, but I suppose with the form of both sides, nothing unexpected. Freo got it back to within a goal in the final quarter (with some thanks to an unbelievable non call by the boundary umpire!) But the Eagles responded very well and finished out the game very strongly. Darling has been playing well so far and I think his improvement will be needed if they are to mount a proper premiership challenge. Jetta looked good too and kicked a couple of nice goals.

Gold Coast still winning and doing well. I didnt see the Hawks/Dogs but it sounded like a cracker of a game. Bulldogs really are up there after that. I thought they might drop off similar to Port Adelaide last year, but so far they look as good as they performed last year. Richmond off to their usual slow start and it doesnt get any easier going to Subiaco to play the Eagles on Friday.

A very dominating display from the Eagles there. Hard to know if it was them being so good or Richmond being so useless. Probably a little of both. The Tigers inside 50s in the first half was appalling. The Eagles were not even on top form in their shooting. Again, Darling was the best of the forwards with Kennedy held quiet by Rance and being a bit off target too. The midfield area though has some excellent players and the loss of Priddis was not felt at all. Elliot Yeo is a super player and I really love his work rate and attack on the ball.

All in all, a nice win and in what was predicted as the toughest run of games pre season, they are now 2-1 with the Sydney game to go next week.

Horrible hit in the "Q clash". May took Martin out with an awful high and blatant hit. Looking at 6 weeks I'd say for a hit like that.

Good win for the lions tho. Hanley was superb and got the man of the match award.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Great to see Hanley getting back to top form.
    Ciaran Byrne has been pretty solid in his 2 games for Carlton. Not sure how close Sheehan is to a return from injury. Good also to see McKenna get a game for Essendon.

What a game at the Oval Saturday night. Was there and it was real nip and tuck. I think Sydney will be in the mix this year. Their midfield is really strong and Heeney is going to be a champion, no doubt. However, Crows going well and think they will not be far away on Friday night against the Hawks. Paddy who???!!!!!

Not a great season to be a Freo supporter (so far at least). I don't know what has gone wrong, but it's looking like the season is a right off. Good news is we're getting games into the youngsters, Weller, Grey, Pierce, Tucker, Blakely all doing ok. It would be great if they could get a win or two and not just getting belted week in and week out.

I'm loving the football that is being played this year though. Fast, high scoring stuff. Great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Halfway through watching Q3 of Cats v Eagles.

Geelong absolutely tearing West Coast a new one. First time watching a Geelong game this season. Look like early contenders from looking at this.

Looks like more work being done on the stadium also. Wonder what that will bring the capacity up to. Commentator mentioned they have more memberships than they can fit in the ground

lol Eagles just hit 5 in a row

Eagles were fairly poor at the weekend. Their intensity on the pressure wasnt nearly good enough and there was far too many unforced turnovers and really poor skill errors, missing simple handballs and kick passes or dropping marks. Priddis was way below his best and that wont help them improve. Brad Shepard was one of few to come out with any real sort of dignity from it. Once Geelong broke through the pressure line, they had a free run at goal with plenty of runners keeping pace and attacking.

The Eagles reputation for being flat track bullies is enhanced after that. Although the only thing is, they have lost their 3 away games to Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong, so its not the worst of things to be honest. If they lose further away games to lesser teams, then it will be a far bigger concern.

I'm almost feeling sorry for Freo nowadays. Almost...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

I'm almost feeling sorry for Freo nowadays. Almost...:p

The stink of sincerity off tha'!! :D

Not sure if Ross Lyon can change his style enough to cope with the circumstances. Yes, 2016 is a write-off and is probably worth continuing the "youth policy" stopping short of tanking, of course :p

Maybe Freo can "do a Lazarus" on it next year... or the year after... or the year after that :(

Advertisement