Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Pretty much sums up my own thoughts.

While it was disappointing not to get a look at Jigger at this level, it was great to see Christy Toye back in the starting line up. And what a performance - involved in so much of what was good. Looked very frustrated at having to come off - I can imagine - some thought he'd never play for Donegal again. We're essentially getting a new player considering he wasn't involved at all last year. And make no mistake about it, half forward is a position of need.

Agree that we were poor at fielding around the middle - isn't this always the case when Big Neil is missing? McElhinney at least got through a lot of work and took his two scores well.

Speaking of midfield, it was interesting that Hugh McFadden got the call to come in ahead of Matthew Smyth, but maybe I'm reading too much into that - McFadden didn't get any game time in the McKenna Cup. I thought he played well - took scores very well, broke some ball. Don't think he's mobile enough for midfield, but he sure is talented.

MacNiallais did quite well - got the opening goal obvsiously, but will be annoyed he didn't double his tally in the second half. Still, he didn't seem to let it affect him kicking a point afterwards. Again, good to see options at half forward.

In all honesty, we could have had three or four goals. McFadden's finish was class, not quite Murphy v Queens, but impressive. I guess you credit McLoone for chipping the ball to him, but I would be critical that he very nearly lost it - he ran into trouble more than once. Not tested defensively.

I thought Anthony Thompson had a fine game, very unselfish for the MacNiallais goal.

Brick at 11? I dunno. Not for me. Right now, I'd have M McHugh, Christy and MacNiallais as our half forward line and I'd have Walsh ahead of Brick in the subs.

Refwatch - thought the ref bottled an obvious black card at the end of the first half when he showed yellow to the Laois midfielder. Frustrated both sets of supporters during the first half.

Looking at the scoreline from Navan and hearing that Meath could have had more goals, I'm pretty confident going to Salthill next weekend. Laois were pretty awful, but we seem focused and fit, which is great to see.

tl;dr? Donegal good, Laois bad.

That's a good account of the game. A couple of points to add. I think the reason Christy was so frustrated at coming off was that he clearly got a slap to the mouth and was itching to get back at whoever did it! :)
    Agreed on the ref, it was a clear black card offence before half time.
    I felt Mark McHugh was showing signs of getting back to his best - if we can keep him fit this year it will make a massive difference to our chances (he still needs to brush up on his point taking tho!).
    Ryan McHugh at corner back - not so sure about this one but I'll trust in McGuinness to be the best judge on whether he can make it in this position or not.
    McLoone at center back - I think this could work alright but he does need to avoid carrying the ball into traffic.
    Rory is showing good form too and Karl bust a gut in the first half with his forward runs.
    Agreed on the lad who come into midfield late on - he certainly has a presence but would be concerned at his ability to get around but positive signs there for the future.
    McNiallais looks good on the ball and can win his own ball - again I think he could improve on his mobility but looks like a good addition.
    Finally all this is definitely tempered by the fact that Laois were awful, truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭harpsman

Without wishin to be too personal,how does Tomas O Faharta keep getting jobs?-any time Ive seen his teams theyve been awful.

Must be someone in Laois whos a half decent manager;Id be fairly sure theyd do at least as well as this fella(hope they dont win Leinster now:))

harpsman wrote: »
    Without wishin to be too personal,how does Tomas O Faharta keep getting jobs?-any time Ive seen his teams theyve been awful.

Must be someone in Laois whos a half decent manager;Id be fairly sure theyd do at least as well as this fella(hope they dont win Leinster now:))

I was asking the Laois man beside me the same question - his answer was that as a school teacher he's good with words so gives a good interview! :)
    He also made the interesting point that not one Portlaoise player started yesterday apart from the goalkeeper - who is the number 2 Portlaoise goalkeeper! Seems there is a real split in the county between Portlaoise and all other clubs.

PS was Brick Molloy playin?-hes never really fulfilled his potential.
    TBH any time I see him he looks unfit and lacking in mobility.

He played most of the match and tbh I'm not sure if he will ever make the first 15 once the championship comes around. Full of heart and effort but he just lacks the pace and composure imho. He played in the corner for most of the first half, not at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Ahh.Dont know much about him-feel free to fill me in.

Jigger is still at secondary school - he was County Minor captain last year and I presume he is sill a minor this year. He was part of the Buncrana minor team that did well last year.

Physically, he is very small. Think Woppa or Leon Thompson but much stockier.

I've seen him play three times - once for the minors in a league game against Derry where he looked good, but that wasn't against the full strength Derry team. The second time was against Tyrone in the Ulster Chamionship. I can't really recall him doing that much, I was more impressed by our full back and wing back and pi$$ed off that we didn't have anyone who could kick a free. He also played in the Ulster U-21 Final against Cavan, but played second fiddle to McBrearty.

He's certainly talented, whether he's ready for Senior intercounty is another matter. He was doing ok in the McKenna Cup as far as I heard.
    PS was Brick Molloy playin?-hes never really fulfilled his potential.
    TBH any time I see him he looks unfit and lacking in mobility.

Yes, at 11. Doubt he's unfit, just doesn't move as well as others. Don't really know what to make of him - he tends to be hit and miss - literally - likes taking shots. I guess, in fairness too him, he does score, but he's not consistent enough.

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    That's a good account of the game. A couple of points to add. I think the reason Christy was so frustrated at coming off was that he clearly got a slap to the mouth and was itching to get back at whoever did it! :)
    Agreed on the ref, it was a clear black card offence before half time.
    I felt Mark McHugh was showing signs of getting back to his best - if we can keep him fit this year it will make a massive difference to our chances (he still needs to brush up on his point taking tho!).
    Ryan McHugh at corner back - not so sure about this one but I'll trust in McGuinness to be the best judge on whether he can make it in this position or not.
    McLoone at center back - I think this could work alright but he does need to avoid carrying the ball into traffic.
    Rory is showing good form too and Karl bust a gut in the first half with his forward runs.
    Agreed on the lad who come into midfield late on - he certainly has a presence but would be concerned at his ability to get around but positive signs there for the future.
    McNiallais looks good on the ball and can win his own ball - again I think he could improve on his mobility but looks like a good addition.
    Finally all this is definitely tempered by the fact that Laois were awful, truly awful.

I don't think that Ryan McHugh is a corner back at this level, although interesting that Jim praised him afterwards. We don't really have options in the full back line IMHO - McHugh and Declan Walsh are more effective as half backs. Same probably goes for Eamon Doherty and Luke Keeney.

To me, Hugh McFadden's natural position is as a full forward, but, he did well breaking ball yesterday around midfield. He's a lovely striker of the dead ball from the ground as well. Not going to supplant Murphy or Colm, but a potentially very useful player for the squad at this stage.

Speaking of McBrearty Redsoxfan, what about that point by him yesterday - absolute class! He has it all that lad, hopefully this year he can put it together to take some of the pressure off Colm Anthony and Murphy.

Speaking of McBrearty Redsoxfan, what about that point by him yesterday - absolute class! He has it all that lad, hopefully this year he can put it together to take some of the pressure off Colm Anthony and Murphy.

It was class for sure. But look, we all know what Paddy is capable of, but he doesn't always deliver in obvious ways, i.e. scoring 2-3 points per game regularly.

Now, whenever I watch games back, you see more of what he offers. He's unselfish (maybe too much so) and rarely seems to make bad decisions/turnovers. Maybe we expect too much of him in the role he is asked to play for Donegal?

But, I don't think it's unkind to say that the performances for Donegal (so far) haven't really lived up to the hype. Based on what we saw last year, would you have Paddy, Paul Mannion or James O'Donoghue as your corner forward?

But, I don't think it's unkind to say that the performances for Donegal (so far) haven't really lived up to the hype.

Absolutely - this year he does need to produce what we know he is capable of. He could be one of the stars of the championship - he's that good - but it really is up to him putting it together on the pitch.

Absolutely - this year he does need to produce what we know he is capable of. He could be one of the stars of the championship - he's that good - but it really is up to him putting it together on the pitch.

Well, maybe he's reading CB. Scored seven points from play in the Sigerson today from full forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well, maybe he's reading CB. Scored seven points from play in the Sigerson today from full forward.

That's probably the key there. I'd say we'd see much more end product from him if he was deployed in the FF line, but he's quick enough and strong so can be used in a roving role. As he matures and as the team has to evolve this season he could prove an important part of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

To be fair, Eamon Wallace of Meath scored 0-6 today. Maynooth have a strong team. I don't see why Paddy couldn't chip in a wee bit more even if he isn't played exclusively inside. But, he's still young, and I still feel he's in our best fifteen.

Team named for Sunday is the same as the one that started against Laois

Durcan
    Lacey
    N McGee
    R McHugh
    McGlynn
    McLoone
    Thompson
    Kavanagh
    McElhinney
    M McHugh
    Toye
    MacNiallais
    Molloy
    Murphy
    McFadden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Jigger is still at secondary school - he was County Minor captain last year and I presume he is sill a minor this year. He was part of the Buncrana minor team that did well last year.

Physically, he is very small. Think Woppa or Leon Thompson but much stockier.

I've seen him play three times - once for the minors in a league game against Derry where he looked good, but that wasn't against the full strength Derry team. The second time was against Tyrone in the Ulster Chamionship. I can't really recall him doing that much, I was more impressed by our full back and wing back and pi$$ed off that we didn't have anyone who could kick a free. He also played in the Ulster U-21 Final against Cavan, but played second fiddle to McBrearty.

He's certainly talented, whether he's ready for Senior intercounty is another matter. He was doing ok in the McKenna Cup as far as I heard.

I think it's far too early for him. I.e 4 or 5 years too early. I seen him get tied up in knots this year (by a fellow minor) in the IFC and Buncranna went out. Seen a few of their minor games too this summer just gone. He's a very good player there's no disputing that but at Senior intercounty, not for me- yet.

Suppose there's no harm having him in around the panel but the worry is he's just there to make up the numbers. Probably would have been better having Colin Kelly in there and see how he did.

Think he's still at school though, came on in the Ulster VS final and scored 2-2 in a 10 minute spell or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Team named for Sunday is the same as the one that started against Laois

Durcan
    Lacey
    N McGee
    R McHugh
    McGlynn
    McLoone
    Thompson
    Kavanagh
    McElhinney
    M McHugh
    Toye
    MacNiallais
    Molloy
    Murphy
    McFadden

Looks a strong team for this time of year.

Galway conceded 3-18 against Meath (and could easily have been 7-18) so I'd fear a pasting unless our defence tightens up bigtime.

I think it's far too early for him. I.e 4 or 5 years too early. I seen him get tied up in knots this year (by a fellow minor) in the IFC and Buncranna went out. Seen a few of their minor games too this summer just gone. He's a very good player there's no disputing that but at Senior intercounty, not for me- yet.

Suppose there's no harm having him in around the panel but the worry is he's just there to make up the numbers. Probably would have been better having Colin Kelly in there and see how he did.

Think he's still at school though, came on in the Ulster VS final and scored 2-2 in a 10 minute spell or something!

He's still in school - although he wasn't togged for the Inishowen Colleges yesterday - but it turns out that he is overage for the minors this year. Incidentally, a Kevin McLaughlin from Urris scored 3-1 out of 3-8 in that match.

I'd agree that there is no harm having him in the panel (think McBreaty in 2011, Ryan McHugh last year) and who knows, he might be able to contribute at some stage later in the year.

As for Colin Kelly making an appearance again, I very much doubt we'll see that, which is a shame, but, he's not the only one who 'should' be involved but isn't for various reasons. The level of commitment required is just too much for many.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Looks a strong team for this time of year.

Galway conceded 3-18 against Meath (and could easily have been 7-18) so I'd fear a pasting unless our defence tightens up bigtime.

That's what we're hoping :D

Only concern I'd have is our ability to win primary possession around midfield, but Big Neil is on the bench. I guess I'd have some doubts about our full back line in isloation as Lacey may not be fully fit and Ryan McHugh may not be suited to corner back.

But yes, Donegal to win!

I think it's far too early for him. I.e 4 or 5 years too early. I seen him get tied up in knots this year (by a fellow minor) in the IFC and Buncranna went out.

Who was that player by the way? I was very impressed by Jack O'Brien from Naomh Muire when I saw him play full back against Tyrone last summer.

Who was that player by the way? I was very impressed by Jack O'Brien from Naomh Muire when I saw him play full back against Tyrone last summer.

Jesus I can't remember 100% now you know, it was the Ballyshannon game so could have been Colm Kelly.

Didn't see much of NM this year did O'Brien play against St.Nauls in the final? The minors were alright against Tyrone you know, bar the obvious!

Didn't see much of NM this year did O'Brien play against St.Nauls in the final? The minors were alright against Tyrone you know, bar the obvious!

Never saw him play other than that day, but was very impressed. I believe he played in the Intermediate Final, possibly at half back.

Yeah, that game against Tyrone was very strange. For a while it looked like there was only one winner. But then we got on top and genuinely looked like we'd beat them. How many free takers did we try that day? And, look where Tyrone went from there. Should have won Ulster (late late comeback by Monaghan) and gave a very impressive Mayo team a good game in the All Ireland Final. It's a shame for the Minors that there's no back door in Ulster.

Not sure what our Minors will be like this year - sure who does until the day!

• Advertisement

Highlights from Sunday. Some fine scores

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Highlights from Sunday. Some fine scores

I particularly like the way they cut to the Ambulance and Garda car after the red card. A message!

A piece on Christy Toye by Chris McNulty. Great to see him back after all he has been through.

http://donegalnews.com/2014/02/christy-toye-im-thankful-for-every-training-session-i-do-now/

Staples - ow! Love the comments "One of the Laois men came over the top of me and caught a nick on the chin. It was purely accidental." ... what was missing was the "... but if I found out who it was at the time, accident or not..." :D

Great to see him back alright and was a nice cheer he got on Sunday. Hope they can keep it going on Sunday.

A piece on Christy Toye by Chris McNulty. Great to see him back after all he has been through.

http://donegalnews.com/2014/02/christy-toye-im-thankful-for-every-training-session-i-do-now/

Great piece. Absolutely delighted for Christy that he's managed to come back as he has.

A note on a part of that article- Brian Roper's appearance record, I thought Michael Hegarty surpassed that, or am I thinking of Championship appearances? Can anyone put me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I'm assuming today's game isn't televised. Will any Donegal NFL games be shown at all, or do I have to wait for the Ulster Championship?

RGM wrote: »
    I'm assuming today's game isn't televised. Will any Donegal NFL games be shown at all, or do I have to wait for the Ulster Championship?

None are being shown live. TG4 are only showing Division One games on a Sunday. Setanta are showing a number of Division Two games on Friday/Saturday but none involving Donegal. It seems odd, but maybe we didn't want to play on Friday/Saturday.

Just back from Salthill.

Thankful that the game went ahead. After that, happy to get the win.

But, it wasn't really a great game. Some nice moves by Donegal in the first half, including the one that led to Colm McFadden's well taken goal. We were well on top at midfield - Galway made two changes to their midfield before the throw in as far as I could tell. I was happy enough at half time given that we were playing against the wind and Galway only seemed to be able to hit us on the break.

Second half was kind of odd. Galway probably played better than they had in the first. I guess the pitch didn't help, the going was heavy and players slipped quite a bit as well.

I don't think anyone really stood out over 70 minutes, but Martin McElhinney had a good game. Brick Molloy didn't do much wrong. Anthony Thompson had a really good first half, but seemed to tire as the game went on. Christy didn't play as well as he did last week and one or two things he tried didn't come off. Karl Lacey was good, mostly in a defensive sense. Ryan McHugh struggled at corner back and was switched with Frank McGlynn. He also blew a great chance for a goal and didn't even get a point out of it. Still, he's got a good engine. Just not sure if he should be starting when everyone is fit. Neil McGee played pretty well. Paddy McBrearty came on and kicked three good scores. Big Neil made his return, which was good to see. Hopefully David Walsh and Paddy McGrath get some kind of game time soon.

Refwatch - he was ok. Thought we benefited from some soft enough frees in the second half. I blame a certain linesman who will remain nameless.

Pearse Stadium is a great ground, great location too.

tl:dr Donegal ok, Galway not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

First time I've seen them play this season and was reasonably impressed with what I saw. Thought Martin McElhinney was very good and was also impressed by Odhran MacNiallais. McBrearty also kicked a few nice points after coming on. The move leading up to the goal was "vintage" Donegal.

We seemed to fade badly in the second half but this was likely partly due to the heavy pitch, Galway improving (they could only improve) and it being very early season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Was Lacey corner back again yeah? I thought when Ryan McHugh came into the team last year he was playing wing forward and dropping back a la Mark or am I remembering that incorrectly?

Advertisement