Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Christmas Movie - Boardsies Decide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yester wrote: »
    Lol. It was a quote from the AV club. I had a quick google to see what In Bruge had to do with Christmas.

Eh, its set at Christmas, as is Batman Returns, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon and several other films more than a few of you have deemed not Christmassy enough. Spare me! It seems we need to be beaten over the heads with candy canes, strangled with tinsel, or suffocated by Santa sitting on your face, for films to qualify as Xmas Films the way some people are going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Eh, its set at Christmas, as is Batman Returns, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon and several other films more than a few of you have deemed not Christmassy enough. Spare me! It seems we need to be beaten over the heads with candy canes, strangled with tinsel, or suffocated by Santa sitting on your face, for films to qualify as Xmas Films the way some people are going on.

And? whats the issue with that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Polar Express because I nominated it and I only nominated it because it was early in the morning and I couldn't think straight - and I like trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

I'm all in favour of the other 3 but I didn't remember In Bruges being set at Christmas. I will submit to a beating with candy canes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Ok, Polar express, because I actually like it.

After a tense round, The Polar Express choo choos in to the next round.

I visited Bruges just after I'd been to see in Bruges and the place was better than the film - I have no recollection of it being a Christmas movie - (But perhaps I blanked it from my mind)

Round 1, Match 18

The Preacher's Wife (1996)

159230_1329710507.jpg?w=600&h=392

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117372/

An angel comes to Earth to help a preacher save his church and his family.

Stars: Denzel Washington, Whitney Houston, Courtney B. Vance

v

Elf (2003)

c5ab76f1-fc1f-4637-b736-7d427cae1c10-elf-ferrell.PNG

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319343/

After discovering he is a human, a man raised as an elf at the North Pole decides to travel to New York City to locate his real father.

Stars: Will Ferrell, James Caan, Bob Newhart

Elf, because Zooey Deschanel and her puppy dog eyes.

• Advertisement

I have never seen The Preacher's Wife and even with that, I'm voting for it because Denzel is in it and I'm fickle that way - (Can't stand Will Ferrell)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Elf, classic

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I feel terrible voting for Will fooking Ferrell over Denzel and Whitney but I gots to do it.

Elf for me, one of the only movies I don't want to puncture my own eardrums listening to Ferrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Elf is a modern Christmas classic. The other one sounds awful

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love Elf. Will Ferrell was born to play Buddy. I quote it all year round. Gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Elf because of the version of baby it's cold outside. it's my favourite

Elf makes it to the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

quickbeam wrote: »
    Elf makes it to the next round.

6-love, 6-love

Round 1, Match 19

Just Friends (2005)

MV5BYmU1ZGNiZDctM2NhYi00YThmLTg1MWItMjJiOTliMjlhZDBiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433400/

While visiting his hometown during Christmas, a man comes face-to-face with his old high school crush whom he was best friends with -- a woman whose rejection of him turned him into a ferocious womanizer.

Stars: Ryan Reynolds, Amy Smart, Anna Faris

v

Jingle all the Way (1996)

jingle-all-the-way-4.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116705/

A father vows to get his son a Turbo Man action figure for Christmas. However, every store is sold out of them, and he must travel all over town and compete with everybody else in order to find one.

Stars: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sinbad, Phil Hartman

6-love, 6-love

6-1 :)

• Advertisement

Just Friends, because its a lot of fun, with a great cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

jingle all the way...its got Arnie....ARNIE

Jingle all the way...I haven't seen the other (I have a few films to catch up on ) can't imagine Jingle getting much further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Just Friends because Anna Faris.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Jingle All the Way

Classic Christmas caper and of course ARNIE

Arnie... o wait i mean jingle all the way, funny film, seen the other didn't do much for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Jingle all the Way, Arnie with a typical over the top performance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Jingle Jingle Jingle All The Way

• Registered Users Posts: 21,820 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Jingle all the Way !

Because Arnie got mad !!

• Advertisement

Jingle All The Way jangles in to the next round.

Advertisement