Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Top Boy. Great watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

appledrop wrote: »
    Eh hello. It based on a true story. These two women detectives really existed. They are not made up useless characters.

As you say "based" on a true story. Get of your high horse, I'm not even referencing one of the lead detectives. And please never start a post with "Eh hello". It makes you come across quite boorish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

After Life ricky gervais is superb

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Apache: The Life of Carlos Tevez
    This gritty dramatization of the life of Carlos Tevez shows his rise to soccer stardom amid the harrowing conditions in Argentina's Fuerte Apache.

Home for Christmas
    Tired of the constant comments on her relationship status, perpetually single Johanne starts a 24-day hunt for a boyfriend to bring home for Christmas.

V Wars season 1
    A fast-spreading disease that turns victims into blood-sucking fiends pits two best friends against each other in a fight for humanity's future

A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby
    Christmas brings the ultimate gift to Aldovia: a royal baby. But first, Queen Amber must save her family and kingdom by unwrapping a monarchy mystery.

added

one of the best reviewed films of the year 'a marriage story' is up tomorrow

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Top Boy. Great watch.

Innit Fam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

El Rifle wrote:
    Innit Fam.

Wagwaan is now one of my greetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Watched “the king” and really enjoyed it. Not an action movie and predictable but still a solid 7/8 out of 10 for me. Really liked the lead actor.

Marriage Story
    An incisive and compassionate portrait of a marriage breaking up and a family staying together. From Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Noah Baumbach and starring Scarlett Johansson, Adam Driver, Laura Dern, Alan Alda and Ray Liotta.

The Confession Killer: Season 1
    During the early 1980s, Henry Lee Lucas confessed to hundreds of murders, bringing closure to unsolved cases and grieving families. Even with no direct evidence linking Lucas to the crime scenes, he stunned authorities with his ability to sketch victims’ portraits while citing brutal details of each attack. Yet journalists and attorneys found impossibilities in Lucas’ timeline, and DNA testing started to contradict his internationally-reported claims. This five-part docuseries explores the truth behind a complex figure entangled in a flawed justice system.

Virgin River: Season 1
    Searching for a fresh start, a nurse practitioner moves from LA to a remote northern California town in this new drama based on the novels by Robyn Carr.

Fuller House: Season 5 Part 1

Laugh, cry and “awoooo” along with the whole Tanner-Fuller fam before we finally say goodbye.

Astronomy Club: The Sketch Show
    Want sketch comedy with a fresh and original perspective on pop culture, media, race and much more? Time to join the Astronomy Club, the first all-black house team at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre.

Teasing Master Takagi-San: Season 2
    Teased constantly by classmate Takagi-san, middle-schooler Nishikata swears payback by trying to give a dose of her own medicine.

Astronomy Club: The Sketch Show season 1
    With unique individual perspectives that converge into a unified voice, sketch comedy group Astronomy Club delivers a smart and absurd brand of humor.

Slow Country
    Desperate to leave a life of prostitution, a teenage mother attempts to outsmart her ruthless boss who is determined to keep his prized asset.

Gloria Bell
    A fun-loving divorcée lives life to its fullest, working in insurance by day and dancing in LA clubs at night. Then a new man appears on the scene.

Inferno(tom hanks)

No Game No Life: Zero
    In ancient Disboard, a young warrior befriends an ex machina and embarks on a harrowing mission to stop a global war and save humanity from extinction

The Chosen One Season 2 Determined to bring a Zika vaccine to the remote Pantanal, three doctors clash with a faith healer and are pulled deeper into the mysteries of his cult

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Ghost 👻

Hail Satan?
    Meet The Satanic Temple, a provocative group whose crusade for religious freedom includes challenging corruption and having a devilish sense of humour

Insidious: The Last Key
    Haunted by old memories, psychic Elise Rainier returns to her childhood home in New Mexico to face her demons -- and opens the door to dark secrets

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Loved marriage story

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Drumpot wrote: »
    Watched “the king” and really enjoyed it. Not an action movie and predictable but still a solid 7/8 out of 10 for me.

Really liked the lead actor.

Check out 'Call Me By Your Name' then, also on Netflix. A different type of film but pretty much what put him on the map (and imo, one of the best performances of all time)

Blackfish & broken city are back up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I saw Mid 90s. It's a decent watch.
    I believe he got skaters to become actors rather than teaching actors to skate?

Actually saw this last year not long after it came out, thought the ending was poor but loved the rest of the film. Was right up my street with the 90s hip hop and the skateboarder scene. Enjoyed the scenes with the security guard and the homeless bloke in particular.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Actually saw this last year not long after it came out, thought the ending was poor but loved the rest of the film. Was right up my street with the 90s hip hop and the skateboarder scene. Enjoyed the scenes with the security guard and the homeless bloke in particular.

Yeah I felt the event towards the end was a bit contrived. Enjoyed it otherwise though, soundtrack was great.

The "sex" scene was bit creepy though considering the age of the actors involved. No way they would have done that if the genders were reversed.

A Family Reunion Christmas
    M'Dear and her sisters struggle to keep their singing act together before a church Christmas pageant while Grandpa teaches the kids a valuable lesson

How to Get Away With Murder Season 5
    Brilliant criminal defense attorney and law professor Annalise Keating, plus five of her students, become involved in a twisted murder case.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I felt the event towards the end was a bit contrived. Enjoyed it otherwise though, soundtrack was great.

The "sex" scene was bit creepy though considering the age of the actors involved. No way they would have done that if the genders were reversed.

Reminded me of this is England in that respect. As well as the scene where he's marched to the skate shop by his mam to confront the gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I watched the hole in the ground this wknd. It wasn’t bad, and Kerslake is a very good Irish actress. But I wouldn’t call it a horror classic.

Watch the Irishman yesterday. I liked the first and last hour, but thought the in-between dragged on a bit. All the union politics stuff was a bit boring and difficult to follow. It needed more gangster story and guys getting shot. All in all a very good film but not sure if I will watch it again, unlike Goodfellas which is a classic you can watch again and again.

I started watching Marriage Story on Friday night. Now I was a bit tired so had to stop watching 45mins into it. But not sure if I will go back to it, it’s a bit of a “woman’s film”. I think the best film I’ve seen this year is once upon a time in Hollywood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched Klaus tonight and really enjoyed it. Beautiful 2D animation, and a decent script, if not a wholly original take on the Santa origin story. Watch it by yourself with a hot rum or stick it on late afternoon for a bunch of kids, either way I highly recommend it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I watched Klaus tonight and really enjoyed it. Beautiful 2D animation, and a decent script, if not a wholly original take on the Santa origin story. Watch it by yourself with a hot rum or stick it on late afternoon for a bunch of kids, either way I highly recommend it.

Yes, I got sucked into it while the wife watched it herself. Beautiful painted, illustration look to it, and just the right measure of sweet without being cloying. A hidden gem, I'd go so far as to say.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes, I got sucked into it while the wife watched it herself. Beautiful painted, illustration look to it, and just the right measure of sweet without being cloying. A hidden gem, I'd go so far as to say.

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame those "made for TV" deliberately kind of cheesy Christmas films are the ones getting all the attention. I mean they serve a purpose and all, but Klaus is a genuinely great Christmas film for the whole family. Don't think it was recognised at the Golden Globes today either, which is a shame considering The Lion King, which Disney still refuse to call animated, was. But I digress....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

So did I
    Lovely movie
    Really enjoyed it

Destination Wedding (Winona Ryder, Keanu Reeves)
    Insults and sparks fly when two misanthropic, motormouthed singles meet en route to a wedding in California wine country that neither wants to attend.

Michelle Wolf: Joke Show
    Comedian Michelle Wolf takes on outrage culture, massages, childbirth, feminism and much more (like otters) in a stand-up special from New York City

Preso No. 1 Season 1
    When Mexico's president lands in jail following a false accusation, the controversy spurs an arduous fight for freedom and justice in a corrupt country.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

peteeeed wrote: »
    Destination Wedding (Winona Ryder, Keanu Reeves)
    Insults and sparks fly when two misanthropic, motormouthed singles meet en route to a wedding in California wine country that neither wants to attend.

added

I watched that a while back, Nothing much happens, but I really enjoyed it, Reeves and Ryder both play 2 utterly dislike-able individuals, but the dialog and performance of the the two of them makes for a good watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame those "made for TV" deliberately kind of cheesy Christmas films are the ones getting all the attention. I mean they serve a purpose and all, but Klaus is a genuinely great Christmas film for the whole family. Don't think it was recognised at the Golden Globes today either, which is a shame considering The Lion King, which Disney still refuse to call animated, was. But I digress....

Absolutely; I respect Netflix's commitment to the cheesy Hallmark stuff, but Klaus felt like a legitimately creative enterprise & I'd hate for it to get lost in the slush. They could have just pulled a Dreamworks and knocked out something relatively generic looking, but the aesthetic really sets it apart, while the emotional material is not that distant from the kind Pixar might produce (eg, writing Klaus himself as a
    lonely widower, who carved all his toys in preparation for children he & his wife never had.
    That was manipulative, but bloody heartbreaking all the same.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Absolutely; I respect Netflix's commitment to the cheesy Hallmark stuff, but Klaus felt like a legitimately creative enterprise & I'd hate for it to get lost in the slush. They could have just pulled a Dreamworks and knocked out something relatively generic looking, but the aesthetic really sets it apart, while the emotional material is not that distant from the kind Pixar might produce (eg, writing Klaus himself as a
    lonely widower, who carved all his toys in preparation for children he & his wife never had.
    That was manipulative, but bloody heartbreaking all the same.

I actually prefer quite a few DreamWorks films to Pixar's, which I find emotionally manipulative and kind of repetitive :D
    But yes, it definitely deserves a wider audience. The fact it's Netflix only probably rules it out for the bigger awards, but it got a lot of nominations for the Annie awards, so it's at least getting some love from it's own community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I watched that a while back, Nothing much happens, but I really enjoyed it, Reeves and Ryder both play 2 utterly dislike-able individuals, but the dialog and performance of the the two of them makes for a good watch.

Great performances, just being themselves I think. Love them together.
    It could be a play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Family have been warned not to watch it as we've decided to watch it together on Christmas Eve in front if a roaring fire and a very big bag of sweets.

By 'we' I mean me of course:)

Advertisement