Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cheers JRG.

That's juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Garcia replaces McGovern at RG against the Rams - in all honesty a daft idea. The Rams will eat Garcia and Turner to bits on the right-hand side. McGovern has been far from the worst player along the OL - but is the only one Joseph could get away with replacing.

It has also been reported that Joseph will take over the play-calling duties on defence - that should be fun. If the Broncos get blown out then it will all be on Joseph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Another loss and all my optimism has vanished ! We're struggling on both sides of the ball, home field advantage is N/A and confidence must be low now. Bring back Osweiler !!

Bring back Osweiler !!

Not likely - he started for the Dolphins on Sunday and led them to an OT win.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Pumped for this game tonight for some weird reason.Von said were going to kick their ass so lets do it.The cardinals O line is terrible we should be able to get plenty pressure on Rosen.David johnson could hurt us on the ground.I predict a grinder of a game with denver winning 21-18.cmon Broncos!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Pumped for this game tonight for some weird reason.Von said were going to kick their ass so lets do it.The cardinals O line is terrible we should be able to get plenty pressure on Rosen.David johnson could hurt us on the ground.I predict a grinder of a game with denver winning 21-18.cmon Broncos!!!

A grinder of a game in today's NFL is 35-28 :)

Well tonight's game in Arizona is already pretty much a must win for the Broncos, sad as that is to say. They deserve every bit of their 2-4 record, and could easily be 1-5, if not for the Raiders kind donation in week 2.

But - the season is not yet lost. There is definitely some talent on the team, it just is not being tapped into as yet. I was very hard on the D the last couple of weeks, but after watching the San Francisco 49ers D gas against the Packers last week when the 49ers just could not get a first down in the last 20 minutes of the game, has made me reconsider and think of all the times this Broncos team has gone 3 or 4 plays and out.

This is an absolutely must win scenario tonight. This is a not-very-good Cardinals team with a rookie QB, who look to be out of the playoff hunt already.

If we can commit to the run with Freeman and Lindsey, and throw in some boot with Keenum and take some shots down the field, we can at least attempt to sustain drives, run the clock and limit mistakes. Going behind early and having Keenum throw the ball 40-50 times a game has yielded terrible results thus far, but Joseph and Musgrave seem to get locked into it, and move away from running the ball too early. Maybe panic sets in, there is definitely a deer in the headlights look about Joseph on the sidelines.

But - the season is not yet lost. There is definitely some talent on the team, it just is not being tapped into as yet. I was very hard on the D the last couple of weeks, but after watching the San Francisco 49ers D gas against the Packers last week when the 49ers just could not get a first down in the last 20 minutes of the game, has made me reconsider and think of all the times this Broncos team has gone 3 or 4 plays and out.
    The Broncos defence is two years removed winning the SB - and arguably the talent is not far off that SB win. The problem with the D currently is Joseph.

It is well known that the Phillips defensive set-up is vulnerable to 11 personnel when in Nickel. That is why Phillips always ran a base defence on first down against 11 personnel. Woods did the same last year and for the first three games this year.

Against Seattle the Broncos gave up 64 yards rushing -
    Against Oakland the Broncos gave up 92 yards rushing -
    Against Baltimore the Broncos gave up 77 yards rushing -

Then Joseph stuck his nose into what Woods was doing

Against Kansas the Broncos gave up 142 yards rushing -
    Against the Jets the Broncos gave up 323 yards rushing -
    Against the Rams the Broncos gave up 270 yards rushing -

Reason 1 - Joseph insisted on repeatedly using the nickel defense against 11 personnel. He made no adjustments during any of the games - the Broncos D kept the game against the Chiefs close, but then lost heart seeing that he was sending them out to do the same thing for the last two weeks - the big chunks came through missed tackles. This is a glaringly obvious problem - and it is so blatantly obvious to fans then it must be to the Broncos players and coaches.

Reason 2- Against the Seahawks Woods attacked the zone stretch plays as they should be - by the DL going north, rather than east-west at the point of attack. Against the Rams Joseph had the DL going east-west allowing the Gurley to have ample time to choose which gap to attack and pick up chunks of yards - the LBs were 6-7 yards deep before they could get to him because the DL were being pushed back. Again this is a glaringly obvious problem - and it is so blatantly obvious to fans then it must be to the Broncos players and coaches.

Now - what has happened this week is that Joseph is taking a more controlling role of the defence - says that he will still use the nickel, but will make changes. Tinkering with the nickel against 11 personnel will not solve the problem - and the Cards could potentially still get big chunks rushing the ball.
    This is an absolutely must win scenario tonight. This is a not-very-good Cardinals team with a rookie QB, who look to be out of the playoff hunt already.
    It is a must-win for Vance Joseph - lose and Elway will have no choice but to dump him - he might even dump Joseph even if the Broncos win. Joseph is a dead man walking - if he survives this week I expect him gone by the bye-week. After this week we have the Chiefs in Arrowhead and the Texans and will likely be 3-6 going into the bye-week.
    If we can commit to the run with Freeman and Lindsey, and throw in some boot with Keenum and take some shots down the field, we can at least attempt to sustain drives, run the clock and limit mistakes. Going behind early and having Keenum throw the ball 40-50 times a game has yielded terrible results thus far, but Joseph and Musgrave seem to get locked into it, and move away from running the ball too early. Maybe panic sets in, there is definitely a deer in the headlights look about Joseph on the sidelines.
    The success of every team starts from the top down - and the Broncos are in a bit of a mess from the top. The team is being run by the Joe Ellis braintrust whose focus is on maintaining financial stability - with the Bowlen kids already fighting over the spoils. Apparently Ellis and Elway want Brittany Bowlen - but she is 28 year old and has little experience - she is expected to join the Broncos staff sometime this year in an effort to get her to meet the criteria for ownership. The trust has 4 years before it has to either hand over ownership to one of the children or sell the franchise. Beth Bowlen who wants the job is from a first marriage and there seems to be a lot of animosity between the first marriage kids and those from the second marriage.

Elway has made several bloopers over the past two seasons - from dumping Phillips (you don't dump success for the potential for success until you have to) to hiring Joseph (and McCoy and Olivio) to signing Keenum (instead of taking Rosen - and I love having Chubb on the roster).

As for Joseph - at least he hasn't completely wrecked the organisation like McDisaster - and he won't get the chance.

Irrespective of the result tonight - I expect major changes in the next three weeks - and Kelly will probably get a three game audition at the end of the season (Browns, Raiders and Chargers) - Elway won't want him in against the 49ers because Shanahan will want to stick it to Elway over the HC job.

As an interesting aside - rumours are beginning to circulate in Denver that Peyton Manning is heading up a consortium looking to buy the Broncos with the Bowlen trust maintaining a significant shareholding (put at 18%). The estimated cost to buy the Broncos is put at about $2billion

Just had a quick look at the game in 40 this morning. Will catch the full broadcast later in the week, but a few quick takeaways.

Generally it can be tough to take anything solid away from a game like this, 2 defensive TDs and over as a competition early in the 2nd Quarter. It's not just that the Cardinals were bad, but the early scores make it difficult to call plays and we saw the Offense go into neutral for much of the second half. The defense pinned their ears back and got type of pressure we had gotten used to seeing weekly 2015/2016

Good to see the team respond after a week of criticism. (personally I don't believe in the " we going to give our real best this week" talk) We haven't seen this type of get-after-them-defence for a long time. They single handedly put the game out of sight in the 1st Q with the two interception returns.

Keenum still looked decidedly average, BUT, he wasn't asked to win the game and had the big play to Sanders. The pick was horrible and he underthrew another pass to Sutton which might have yielded another long TD. I can (and more importantly, the team can) live with this version of Keenum if the defence improves.

Nice to see Lindsey and Freeman get an increase in their workload, although part of me wonders if this was down to the early lead or an overall attitude change in play calling. I suspect it was the former unfortunately. Sanders was impressive, and Sutton promising and the TE corp MIA as usual.

So, overall, happy with any type of win on the road, especially by 35 points - even if it was against a bad Cards team. Happy to see an aggressive Defence get after and affect the QB. Happy to get a glimpse of what might be possible with this team.

I hope we do kick on from here............or we might be just the best of a bad lot :rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Interesting101

I hope we do kick on from here............or we might be just the best of a bad lot :rolleyes::pac:

Yup . cant see them winning this week at Chiefs but Texans then Charges will tell us if season is over.

Sounds like DT is going to be traded so that might tell us the season is already being written off and gettibg a look at Sutton for next year

Yup . cant see them winning this week at Chiefs but Texans then Charges will tell us if season is over.

Sounds like DT is going to be traded so that might tell us the season is already being written off and gettibg a look at Sutton for next year

Sutton has passed DT in terms of ability at WR - keeping DT will hinder Sutton's development - and his salary is way too big to have him as what would in effect be the 4th WR.

Saying that - if he is traded, and it is an 'if', then I couldn't see anything better than a conditional 5th - the advantage for the Broncos is to get his contract off the books.

I suspect, either way, that Thomas retires after this season - his hips are f*cked.

Sutton has passed DT in terms of ability at WR - keeping DT will hinder Sutton's development - and his salary is way too big to have him as what would in effect be the 4th WR.

Saying that - if he is traded, and it is an 'if', then I couldn't see anything better than a conditional 5th - the advantage for the Broncos is to get his contract off the books.

I suspect, either way, that Thomas retires after this season - his hips are f*cked.

Sutton has potential to be very good but its a lot easier when DT and Sanders are covered. If DT goes he will get a lot more attention from Denfense so we will see more then.

DT been injured for a while but cant see him retiring. Think he already spoke about being traded yesterday.
    He was only given that contract to try convince Cousins to sign for Broncos but agree the Broncos want him off the books now.

And Chad Kelly was arrested overnight. He was surely going to get a 3-4 game run in a couple of weeks.....He might be gone now.

I think he'll get one strike. I don't see us getting rid yet.

I think he'll get one strike. I don't see us getting rid yet.

And hes gone.......Wonder what the plan is now.

And hes gone.......Wonder what the plan is now.

I expect Elway to go after Derek Carr - best option available by far at the moment.

I can't see the Raiders trading him within the division. He does seem to be "available" though :)

RE: Chad Kelly, talk about screwing up a golden opportunity. Battle your way to the #2 QB on the roster. Get the former #1 pick cut, and looking like a good candidate to get meaningful snaps at some point during the season - and all thrown away in a night out at a halloween party. Now, all that being said, by the sounds of the events of the night, if it didn't happen then, it would likely have happened somewhere further down the line. I wonder if Lynch will be brought back, ala Osweiler last year?

Is Lynch still holed up in New York?

I don't think he comes back because of Osweiler. :)

If they don't bring lynch back in, he done. Years with the team, wins for the team, they paying him anyway....man, if you not brought back with all that going on, you done.

• Advertisement

Great win for us yesterday,keeps our season somewhat alive . What about our playoff hopes ? personally I doubt well make it we will need to win at least 4 out of 5 and hope the colts and/or ravens lose games .It makes the rest of the season interesting anyway ,I was ready to give up on it after the houston game .We have hope well take that.

Time to resurrect this thread, before we hit the 1 year without a post mark!

Great to look forward to the year ahead without Joseph on the sideline. I have to think that Fangio will be a major upgrade, although he has no experience of in-game decision making, challenges, clock management etc, Joseph never covered himself in glory in those depts either, so even if he is bad with that aspect, it's still a wash.

I have high hopes for the defense this year, obviously, and how they play will determine if we can push for a playoff spot (Wild Card!) Really looking forward to seeing Miller and Chubb together in a Fangio D, I'm guessing they will flourish. The D at the very least should be formidable, and the big question mark over the team is how will the Offense go with Flacco.

The offensive side of things is a little more murky. Scangarello is a former Shanahan system guy, and we know that Flacco has looked good under that type of system, but I'm not sure we have the type of TE talent that would usually feature. From what I have seen of Fant in the preseason, he seemed to have a lot of drops, maybe that was just nerves, but they invested a lot of draft capital for him to be the guy, and he certainly didn't stand out in preseason. Elsewhere, we seem a bit thin at WR, Sanders is back, but a year older and off the back of an achilles injury. Sutton should improve over last year, and he showed real flashes of talent. Linsay and Freeman *should* have a good year, if we see anything close to the return of the Shanahan running schemes. If the offense can improve to being mid-tier we should have a real shot at playoffs.

Lots of ifs and buts there, I know, and the schedule for Denver is absolutely brutal, but the NFL schedule can look one way in September, and look completely different in January. Anyway, looking forward to the upcoming season, lots of change in Denver, which was what we were asking for, and a clean slate to start the new year.

Time to resurrect this thread, before we hit the 1 year without a post mark!

Great to look forward to the year ahead without Joseph on the sideline. I have to think that Fangio will be a major upgrade, although he has no experience of in-game decision making, challenges, clock management etc, Joseph never covered himself in glory in those depts either, so even if he is bad with that aspect, it's still a wash.

I have high hopes for the defense this year, obviously, and how they play will determine if we can push for a playoff spot (Wild Card!) Really looking forward to seeing Miller and Chubb together in a Fangio D, I'm guessing they will flourish. The D at the very least should be formidable, and the big question mark over the team is how will the Offense go with Flacco.

The offensive side of things is a little more murky. Scangarello is a former Shanahan system guy, and we know that Flacco has looked good under that type of system, but I'm not sure we have the type of TE talent that would usually feature. From what I have seen of Fant in the preseason, he seemed to have a lot of drops, maybe that was just nerves, but they invested a lot of draft capital for him to be the guy, and he certainly didn't stand out in preseason. Elsewhere, we seem a bit thin at WR, Sanders is back, but a year older and off the back of an achilles injury. Sutton should improve over last year, and he showed real flashes of talent. Linsay and Freeman *should* have a good year, if we see anything close to the return of the Shanahan running schemes. If the offense can improve to being mid-tier we should have a real shot at playoffs.

Lots of ifs and buts there, I know, and the schedule for Denver is absolutely brutal, but the NFL schedule can look one way in September, and look completely different in January. Anyway, looking forward to the upcoming season, lots of change in Denver, which was what we were asking for, and a clean slate to start the new year.
    As a diehard Broncos fan I honestly would be surprised if we win more than 8 games.Quarterback is still a problem position since Peyton left,yes Joe Flacco has a superbowl ring and he should be an upgrade on Keenum but he's been poor last few seasons.Defensively we have potential as Fangio should bring a toughness that was missing under Vance Joseph but there are still weaknesses on every level of the defence.It will be interesting to see what Lindsey can do this year.I would love a playoff spot but our division is very tough .

Going to try and give some thoughts on the Broncos opening game of the season. Not sure if many would have stayed up to watch on Monday night (I didn't - and boy am I glad)

Defense:
    First things first.. This defense is not going to be an NFL elite unit as we had hoped. Not only did they not sack, pressure or hit Derek Carr, they literally never laid a hand on him....for the entire game.

This is not a well regarded Raiders team, in turmoil after losing their star WR (Antonio Brown, you might have heard about him lately!) and they were able to March 95 yards downfield without breaking a sweat against this D. Elite defense does not look like that.

Somehow, despite all of the problems throughout this team, Denver pulled with 8 with 3 minutes to go.....the D can't get a stop (nor did they look close to doing so) allowing the Raiders to ice a game they should have won more convincingly.

Offense:
    The offensive line is horrible. Bolles looks clueless. Gave up sacks and holds in crucial situations time and again (Flacco also to blame here, especially on 3rd down) Never really opened up any decent running lanes for the backs, who I thought performed well in the circumstances.

Noah Fant was supposed to be an instant upgrade/contributor, but looks useless. A couple of holds, some drops, and looks anything but a 1st round draft pick. Honestly, whomever is scouting TE position for Denver in the draft should be fired at this stage.....(Noah Fant - 2019, Troy Fumagalli - 2018, Jake Butt - 2017, Jeff Heuermann - 2016)

Flacco looked decent, but really took some terrible sacks throughout the game. Sutton and Sanders looked good, and the Hamilton drop in the endzone was critical.

Coaching:
    Considering Fangio was brought in to bring the D back to it's former glory, I'd have to say early indications are that this seems unlikely. The decision to kick a FG, down 21-6 with 8 minutes to go was mind-boggling, (Oakland took the subsequent KO 65 yards the other way and promptly kicked their own FG)

What was really worrying however, from the very get go, was the play calling by OC Rich Scangarello. The first 3 plays of the game - nay, the season, were 3 of the absolute worst calls you are ever likely to see in a game. A TE sweep?? Loss of 5 yards. An inside screen....stuffed at the line, and the Broncos are quickly 3 and out after the Raiders had just scored a TD on their own 8 minute opening drive....putting a probably tired D straight back onto the field.

Overall the playcalling on the offensive side of the ball was so uncreative and boring, whether this was down to bad execution or just poor design, I can't be certain, but I'm going hazard a guess it is going to be a well below average offense for Denver again this year. The split offensive line gadget play was embarrassing - absolutely pathetic and looked the act of a desperate man

I had hoped we might be in with a chance come years end, of perhaps a wild card, but after seeing the Chargers, Chiefs (and yes, Raiders) compared to what we have after week one, there is no chance of that whatsoever, coupled with a brutally tough schedule, I can't see this team topping 5 wins to be honest.

Going to try and give some thoughts on the Broncos opening game of the season. Not sure if many would have stayed up to watch on Monday night (I didn't - and boy am I glad)
    First point that needs to be considered is that the entire Broncos coaching staff (with the exception of Bill Kollar) is new - and the team is running an entirely new offensive and defensive scheme.
    Defense:
    First things first.. This defense is not going to be an NFL elite unit as we had hoped. Not only did they not sack, pressure or hit Derek Carr, they literally never laid a hand on him....for the entire game.

This is not a well regarded Raiders team, in turmoil after losing their star WR (Antonio Brown, you might have heard about him lately!) and they were able to March 95 yards downfield without breaking a sweat against this D. Elite defense does not look like that.

Somehow, despite all of the problems throughout this team, Denver pulled with 8 with 3 minutes to go.....the D can't get a stop (nor did they look close to doing so) allowing the Raiders to ice a game they should have won more convincingly.
    The Broncos defence was not elite in this game - but it did limit the Raiders offence for most of the game. The key to the Raiders offence was their ability to hit the slot receiver, TE and RB with short passes and crossing routes - using Carr's quick release to neutralise the Broncos pass-rush.

Two things facilitated this - the ongoing injury to Bryce Callahan who was supposed to be the Broncos DB covering slot receivers and the injuries to the two starting ILBs - Davis and Jones.

This is not to make excuses - injuries happen to all teams - but the Raiders were able to exploit the problems the Broncos had.

There is a secondary issue - Fangio's defence is complex and requires players to adjust on the fly in very specific ways. It can take a considerable period for the defence to bed-in. Coupled with the injuries, the defence is still a work in progress.
    Offense:
    The offensive line is horrible. Bolles looks clueless. Gave up sacks and holds in crucial situations time and again (Flacco also to blame here, especially on 3rd down) Never really opened up any decent running lanes for the backs, who I thought performed well in the circumstances.

Noah Fant was supposed to be an instant upgrade/contributor, but looks useless. A couple of holds, some drops, and looks anything but a 1st round draft pick. Honestly, whomever is scouting TE position for Denver in the draft should be fired at this stage.....(Noah Fant - 2019, Troy Fumagalli - 2018, Jake Butt - 2017, Jeff Heuermann - 2016)

Flacco looked decent, but really took some terrible sacks throughout the game. Sutton and Sanders looked good, and the Hamilton drop in the endzone was critical.
    The Broncos OL is an issue. Bolles has been maligned - and rightly so on many occasions. However Bolles actually did a decent job against the Raiders. People who have studied the All 22 of the game have outlined that in many occasions Bolles had actually stuck to his assignments - it was others who made mistakes. For example - on the Lindsay run in the 3rd quarter in the redzone - Lindsay was supposed to bounce outside, with Bolles taking the LB to create space for him. If he had done he would have galloped into the endzone. Instead Lindsay cut inside into the hands of the LB leaving Bolles looking like an idiot not blocking anyone. Bolles has actually benefited from a more agile G beside him in Risner.

Bigger issues were with McGovern, who is still struggling with C and Leary who looks totally and completely done. The injury to James is a major worry - he was supposed to be the mainstay of the OL and could now be out for up to 10 weeks.

TEs are an issue - however I think you are being unbalanced in your criticism. Heuerman was a 3rd round pick - and has repeatedly been injured. Butt was projected as a 1st round/top 2nd round pick before he suffered an ACL - he dropped to the 5th where the Broncos picked him. It was a flyer on potential 1st round talent and he has had a third ACL since being drafted. His career is likely over. Fumagalli was also a 5th round pick

Fant is a 1st rounder with huge upsides - the problem is that even 1st round TEs take time to adjust to the NFL. There are a very small number of TEs who make the step up immediately - most require a second and sometimes a third year to becoming a fully-fledged NFL TE. He did have a couple of nice catches that showed his potential - but he will take time.

Flacco is clearly a step up from Keenum - he had some good deep and intermediate throws. His timing on the short routes and dump-offs still need work - and he has struggled with this over his career - but once James went out the pocket was collapsing on him from the ride side because Leary and Wilkinson were so bad.

The Broncos could easily have won the game - the turning point was Hamilton dropping the ball in the endzone - a TD there and the score was 16-10 with a significant shift in momentum to the Broncos.
    Coaching:
    Considering Fangio was brought in to bring the D back to it's former glory, I'd have to say early indications are that this seems unlikely. The decision to kick a FG, down 21-6 with 8 minutes to go was mind-boggling, (Oakland took the subsequent KO 65 yards the other way and promptly kicked their own FG)

What was really worrying however, from the very get go, was the play calling by OC Rich Scangarello. The first 3 plays of the game - nay, the season, were 3 of the absolute worst calls you are ever likely to see in a game. A TE sweep?? Loss of 5 yards. An inside screen....stuffed at the line, and the Broncos are quickly 3 and out after the Raiders had just scored a TD on their own 8 minute opening drive....putting a probably tired D straight back onto the field.

Overall the playcalling on the offensive side of the ball was so uncreative and boring, whether this was down to bad execution or just poor design, I can't be certain, but I'm going hazard a guess it is going to be a well below average offense for Denver again this year. The split offensive line gadget play was embarrassing - absolutely pathetic and looked the act of a desperate man

I had hoped we might be in with a chance come years end, of perhaps a wild card, but after seeing the Chargers, Chiefs (and yes, Raiders) compared to what we have after week one, there is no chance of that whatsoever, coupled with a brutally tough schedule, I can't see this team topping 5 wins to be honest.
    Fangio is a top defensive coach and one of the most innovative DCs in the league - nobody wants to go against his defenses. However, as I said earlier - his defences are very complex and the players need game reps to get up to speed. I suspect you will find the defence improving on a game by game basis. Now - he still has to learn to be a HC - but he is a smart guy and I think he will adapt and improve.

Scangs is a first time OC - he tried to be a bit too smart for his own good. But there were signs of some interesting stuff with the offence. There were quite a number of plays that nearly came off that we will see again and they will work. Again - all the indications are that he is a smart guy and I think the offense will also improve.

Special teams are still a worry - I can't understand why Wadman is the on an NFL roster - there is no indication he can be a competent punter. The back-ups don't seem to be good enough for STs which is a problem.

The Broncos are suffering from 5 years of brutal drafts - from 2013-2017 the Broncos had 38 picks - there is only one player starter and he signed with the Panthers this off-season. Two drafts ago the Broncos changed strategy - largely thanks to Kubiak - from 2018 the Broncos have 3 starters, 8 players on the roster and a 9th on the PS (plus Lindsay who was undrafted). From 2019 all the picks are on the roster. The impact of previous drafts is lack of depth - and that will take time to fix.

At the end of the day the main problem faced by the Broncos is the ownership shambles that has Joe Ellis in charge which a very young Brittney Bowlen is groomed to take over - something that could take more than a decade. Ellis is a nightmare because he is making all the wrong decisions based on finances (funds are taken out of the franchise every year). It is limiting what Elway can do and what the coaches can do. It started with Ellis being responsible for the hiring of McDaniels - Pat Bowlen recognised the problem and hired Elway - but the trust that Ellis controls trumps what Elway does.

Two years ago Elway wanted Kyle Shanahan and a deal was very close before Ellis blocked it. Ellis was also responsible for the departure of Wade Phillips - he wanted Phillips to take a pay cut.

Last year Elway set up a new coaching regime with Mike Shanahan as HC, Kubiak as OC and Phillips coming back as DC. Shanahan also had got agreement from Cousins to come to Denver. Everybody was on the same page from Elway down - except Ellis scuttled the deal and the Broncos kept Joseph for a second losing year.

The current coaching staff is the best combined staff the Broncos have had since the Shanahan SB seasons - this is a serious group of coaches and some are here doing specific jobs when they could have had better positions with other teams (e.g. Munchak, Kollar, Kuper). This season was/is going to be tough - there are legacy issues that need to be sorted. We will see if Fangio is up to the job and if Ellis keeps his nose out of football matters.

....well a couple of quick thoughts are in order while still fresh in my mind....

Defense:.
    Looked slightly better than last week, although we still don't know if Chicago Offense is actually any good. A small bit of push to the QB compared to vs Oakland, but still few hits (2 - I did not see these 2 hits it must be said) and no sacks. This was supposed to be a defense that could carry the team, but has now failed to register either a turnover or sack in 2 weeks, nor could they stop the Bears on the final drive for the winning FG....the 25 yard pass to Robinson with nobody within 5 yards of him was strange, was it supposed to be a zone, and if so, who was supposed to be defending that space....that was a helluva large gap between zones.

Yiadom is going to be attacked mercilessly for the rest of the season, he blows coverage, misses tackles, a one man defense-wrecking machine.

Offense:
    Again, showed flashes of brilliance and total ineptness. First, the last drive of the game was impressive, but why are we throwing the ball 50 times in a game, at home, in September (Denver are 17-1 at home in September) where they know the opposition D will gas in the second half?

The Flacco Int in the endzone was unforgivable, but to be honest, Denver had the bit between their teeth and should have tried to run it right up the middle. Anything but a turnover there was an acceptable result....even a failed 4th down conversion from the 1 would have left the Bears in a tough spot.

The OL again caused the offense to sputter drive after drive. I seriously think at this stage Denver need to look for a trade (or just a street pickup) and drop Bolles. He has completely gone. Called for 4 holds and it should have been 6. How can you get any sort of rhythm going with this kind of play?

Flacco was decent again, Sanders looked back to his best, Fant caught everything that came his way (but completely whiffed on a few blocks and let Mack breeze by him for an easy sack, however I would not blame him for that particular miscue...which brings me to....

Coaching:
    Again, the team was let down by the coaching in the game today. Calling a TO with 9 seconds to go in the first half...while the Bears had the ball?
    Fant on Mack....you can't let that happen.
    No plan to help Bolles out....he was a mess from start to finish.
    Totally toothless on offense in the first half - FG on opening drive followed by 4 punts and 70 yards of offense?
    Calling a timeout on 4th down to see what kind of defense the Bears would have for your play? Well you can be sure they'll change the defense in that case (which they did)
    Finally, the debacle at the end of the game with the PAT. It wasn't even a walk off situation, there was still plenty of time on the clock for the Bears to drive for a FG. Why on earth would you decide to go for 2 points when you have spent the entire 4th quarter marching up and down the field on the Bears D. Then the missed PAT from McManus, a reprieve, and you decide to go for it again? Mind boggling.

All in all it was a fair result and a manic finish to a poor game, Bears played better overall, suffered a couple of bad calls and showed great moxie on the last drive.....and look like they finally found a kicker. For Denver, well the opening 2 weeks looked like a good chance for a couple of wins, the rest of the season gets a lot tougher, and we can wave goodbye to any hopes of a wild card just two weeks into the season.

Great win, we should be 3-2 & not 'nearly' 0-5, a record I think!
    Defense played very well last night, offense looked great in the 1st half, Linsday had a man-of-the-match performance.
    Q is, can we progress from here ?

Great win, we should be 3-2 & not 'nearly' 0-5, a record I think!
    Defense played very well last night, offense looked great in the 1st half, Linsday had a man-of-the-match performance.
    Q is, can we progress from here ?

There are still clear deficiencies - but the team took another step forward last night. Over the five games there has been a clear and consistent improvement.

Credit for that has to go to the coaching staff and that makes me optimistic for the future.

Despite the win if I was Elway I would still look to move Harris, Sanders and Wolfe before the deadline. I would even consider trading Miller but I would be shocked if that happened.

Wow, great (unexpected) win, I think we were 9 point underdogs!
    Drew (buzlightyear) Lock - very impressive.
    Stat: Drew Lock is first rookie QB in the Super Bowl era (1966-present) to throw for 300+yards and 3 TDs in his first career road start.
    He has some zip on the ball as well. I think we have found a QB ;)
    The defense stepped up as well, gotta love that Jackson TD(#cheeky), but is Miller loosing his touch, is he a step behind his usual self!
    And what a year Sutton is having, some amazing catches lately.
    Future is bright again :P

• Advertisement

yeah lock has looked great so far,he made some great throws yesterday,hopefully he can finish the season well and we can head into the offseason not having to worry about drafting a QB and focus on other positions of need.We have a nice core of young dynamic players such as lock,sutton,lindsay , fant and Simmons to build around.If we can improve in some areas such as offensive line ,linebacker and secondary next season could be a decent one.

Advertisement