Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ditto, the fakes the lads have in work are amazing quality. I wouldn't touch one unless it had an Irish AD receipt and was checked out by the same shop.

There is a facebook group based here where an expat has a side business selling highish end watches. He has had four SS daytona's this week and a few batmans, all full sets, at less than chrono24 prices. No idea how he does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Gamma...
    So what your really saying is...
    Wear a trench watch and it won't be just the lume that's green...
    It will be a slow dose hulk transformation, but not the Rolex kind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

i would not be worried they are not real, I would be worried CAB would take them off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^Ah ha, get ya now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Wibbs wrote: »

Interestingly after a cursory check of a couple of them I found that they're not big gamma emitters, or not as big as I expected, but can be strong beta emitters. When I look online at other people's results with the generally gamma only detectors they get very high readings. I suspect they're picking up the beta. And yep smoke detectors give off the oul radiation. Not much though and all beta from what I can see. Bananas too, but barely above background. And as I suspected early Trench watches are the hottest by a large margin and give off quite a chunk of gamma too.

Have pictures of wibbs walking around his house in his smoking jacket scanning stuff randomly ......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

47d3e180cfe792d2e07bb072aa810d80.jpg

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wibbs any chance you'd take that bit of kit for a stroll around Cork harbour where the steel mill used to be?:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

893bet wrote: »

One of the many reasons I wouldn’t get a very expensive watch. I’d be more likely to lose it or have it robbed from changing room locker or car than be mugged but there’s always that chance.
    For anyone here with a 10k or more watch. Is it’s loss not on your mind while out having a few drinks?

shutup wrote: »
    One of the many reasons I wouldn’t get a very expensive watch. I’d be more likely to lose it or have it robbed from changing room locker or car than be mugged but there’s always that chance.
    For anyone here with a 10k or more watch. Is it’s loss not on your mind while out having a few drinks?

Thats one of those odd arguments. A lot of the time people who mug you dont know you have a nice watch or whats in your wallet. To have a nice watch is to have something they can take and F off. Having nothing is inviting a few broken teeth out of frustration that you have nothing of value. That would cost you a lot more than 10k :D

My watches are all insured, I dont live a defensive fearful life worried about what can be taken off me, thats a negative mindset and ones whose logic, if followed to its conclusion, would have you confined to your house behind 20 locks. The only watch I would not bring on a night out is one of sentimental value, these are the only irreplaceable watches I own. Before anyone asks, yes I have been robbed and a lot more than 10k taken from me.

I have said it before and I will say it again, being able to afford an expensive watch is one thing, being able to afford to wear and expensive watch is another. Enjoy your watch, enjoy wearing it where others can see it after all thats part of the ownership experiance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd generally not worry myself, though there would be a couple of watches I'd not wear on a night out say because of a lot of sentimental value attached like FG mentioned. But that would be as much if not more about me being more worried about falling on my arse while a few pints in and damaging them. :D I have worn them on holidays in all sorts of places and never really concerned myself. Then again while a few would be monetarily valuable, they don't look it to the average scum and some would be traceable enough too if they tried to flog them through ebay or the like. Others are too wacky to look rare or worth anything. :D I suppose the most obvious would be my Heuer Bund, but if I were mugged I could be just as likely to be wearing trench watch worth 800 quid or a 70's quartz worth 50 as that.
    I have said it before and I will say it again, being able to afford an expensive watch is one thing, being able to afford to wear and expensive watch is another.
    I don't get that FG? If you can afford something and afford to insure it against loss, is that not the same thing?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't get that FG? If you can afford something and afford to insure it against loss, is that not the same thing?

I would think so, but the questions asked seem to suggest people can imagine themselves buying a 10k watch, but can not imagine just wearing it and not worrying about scratching it, loosing it, having it stolen, wearing it on holidays. They cannot see past the expense of it and potential depreciation or total loss...to the point that they excuse themselves from the purchase as the potential downside is too great for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I wear my most expensive watch almost every day, now I know it's not worth 10k, but what's the point of having a nice watch and being afraid to wear it?:(

I can see where a watch with a high sentimental value wouldn't be worn on a night out. Or I wouldn't wear a vintage watch to the beach, I'd wear a Seiko diver there. There's horses for courses.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

It's all relative. Flashing an AP worth £20k (?) around certain parts of London is asking to be mugged. Whether you are insured is neither here nor there because muggings can be violent and insurance won't make you immune to a knife in the gut.

We have it a lot better over here, I consider Ireland to be very safe in general. But there are still places or situations where only a fool would flash an expensive watch. It doesn't mean living in fear or not enjoying your watches. It just means common sense.

It's all relative. Flashing an AP worth £20k (?) around certain parts of London is asking to be mugged. Whether you are insured is neither here nor there because muggings can be violent and insurance won't make you immune to a knife in the gut.

We have it a lot better over here, I consider Ireland to be very safe in general. But there are still places or situations where only a fool would flash an expensive watch. It doesn't mean living in fear or not enjoying your watches. It just means common sense.

All fair points. That AP would be more like 40k depending...very nice watch.

I suppose the chap linked to above was in a nice part of town, and only flashed his watch in a watch shop. Obviously the crims were organised and using the shop to scope out people with nice watches. Bit like robbers taking Christmas presents while the family is out at mass. Only good thing here is that this sort of organised criminal is unlikely to turn grand larceny into GBH or murder.

To have a nice watch is to have something they can take and F off. Having nothing is inviting a few broken teeth out of frustration that you have nothing of value. That would cost you a lot more than 10k :D

I dunno. I hear there is a dentist doing pro bono work in Dublin.

My watches are all insured, I dont live a defensive fearful life worried about what can be taken off me, thats a negative mindset and ones whose logic, if followed to its conclusion, would have you confined to your house behind 20 locks. The only watch I would not bring on a night out is one of sentimental value, these are the only irreplaceable watches I own. Before anyone asks, yes I have been robbed and a lot more than 10k taken from me.

I have said it before and I will say it again, being able to afford an expensive watch is one thing, being able to afford to wear and expensive watch is another. Enjoy your watch, enjoy wearing it where others can see it after all thats part of the ownership experiance.

I wear my watches without fear doing whatever. Only exception being the Aquanaut which I won’t wear if I am having a heavy night with the lads. Reason being the catch can get deployed if it gets caught on shirt cuff occasionally. After a feed of pints and vodka I can’t be trusted to notice.

He wasn’t in a bad area. And wasn’t being flashy.

I thought It scary how he was “marked”. Their next move is maybe not to rob.....why not follow him home.....he is wearing a 20k watch....who at that level only has one watch.....he surely has a few more.....scary enough.

All fair points. That AP would be more like 40k depending...very nice watch.

I suppose the chap linked to above was in a nice part of town, and only flashed his watch in a watch shop. Obviously the crims were organised and using the shop to scope out people with nice watches. Bit like robbers taking Christmas presents while the family is out at mass. Only good thing here is that this sort of organised criminal is unlikely to turn grand larceny into GBH or murder.

Prob not. It’s the unorganised moped types. Last week.....

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7768977/amp/Omani-student-20-murdered-Rolex-watch-entirely-blameless-say-police.html

893bet wrote: »
    He wasn’t in a bad area.
    There are some "nice areas" in London which are mugging hotspots, specifically because they are affluent, close to boutiques, people walking around with expensive watches etc.

There are some "nice areas" in London which are mugging hotspots, specifically because they are affluent.

Makes perfect sense! Fish and barrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I would think so, but the questions asked seem to suggest people can imagine themselves buying a 10k watch, but can not imagine just wearing it and not worrying about scratching it, loosing it, having it stolen, wearing it on holidays. They cannot see past the expense of it and potential depreciation or total loss...to the point that they excuse themselves from the purchase as the potential downside is too great for them.

Thats what happens to all the Ferraris. Buy a dream car and never bring it out on the road, never mind the track :(

If I could afford a Ferrari it would have baldy tires at least once a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

The interest in Watches in the London is much much bigger than it is here, while its uncommon enough here to see luxury watches here, they're everywhere in London, so they become more of a target because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I was in Hartmans in Galway today. Hefty enough reductions on Seiko, Longines, Tissot, Tag Haeur and a few other brands. 30 - 50% off pretty much all stock. Standard jewellery had 50% off.

Wife of the year bought me a Mont Blanc Meisterstück fountain pen while I had my back turned, the scallywag! I've been lusting after one for a long time.

Do Hartmann still have Rolex? I remember reading a rumour that they were giving up the AD status.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They sell pre owned and are no longer an AD
    I was told they didn’t match the criteria to maintain the AD, spending certain amount on advertising alone is crippling
    That could be nonsense put out by the competition though

They had a display case with scores of empty boxes. He said they weren't in the sale so he didn't put them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/103746336/william-walker-watch/comments

Came across this earlier, the watches were shipped in large boxes with little to no protection and the name on the dial wast spelt incorrectly "William Waller" instead of William Walker.

I would loose my **** if i had paid 400 sterling for that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

funkyouup wrote: »
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/103746336/william-walker-watch/comments

Came across this earlier, the watches were shipped in large boxes with little to no protection and the name on the dial wast spelt incorrectly "William Waller" instead of William Walker.

I would loose my **** if i had paid 400 sterling for that:D

Not the only thing spelled incorrectly

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Thanks, the internet wouldnt be where it is today without grammar nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

funkyouup wrote: »
    Thanks, the internet wouldnt be where it is today without grammar nazis.

Fair enough, I take it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

Happy new year everyone

IMG-20191231-223100.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I was in Hartmans in Galway today. Hefty enough reductions on Seiko, Longines, Tissot, Tag Haeur and a few other brands. 30 - 50% off pretty much all stock. Standard jewellery had 50% off.

Wife of the year bought me a Mont Blanc Meisterstück fountain pen while I had my back turned, the scallywag! I've been lusting after one for a long time.

I don't see any sale items on their website, maybe it's over now, or did you see anything when you were there saying it was in-store only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

OmegaGene wrote: »
    As soon as it was mentioned I checked the website and there was nothing online about it so it must have been in store only

OK, thanks, I wonder if they would have this one and for what price: https://www.fields.ie/watches/seiko-presage-silver-dial-black-leather-strap-men-s-watch

Advertisement