Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knives Out [Rian Johnson]

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Caught it last night at the Cineworld preview and really enjoyed it, a great Christie-style mystery whodunnit with a lot of wit and a perfectly paced plot. As johnny says in his spot-on review, a lot of people in this film are arseholes, and it's great fun watching how things unfold.

Only advice I have is, go in as blind as you can - this is a film best enjoyed without foreknowledge of anything that happens along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I got to see this in the preview too and enjoyed this movie. It's light and fun. Daniel Craig was great in it. If I had a complaint it's that
    the ensemble fades away and aren't used as much as you would think going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Fysh wrote: »
    Caught it last night at the Cineworld preview and really enjoyed it, a great Christie-style mystery whodunnit with a lot of wit and a perfectly paced plot. As johnny says in his spot-on review, a lot of people in this film are arseholes, and it's great fun watching how things unfold.

Only advice I have is, go in as blind as you can - this is a film best enjoyed without foreknowledge of anything that happens along the way.

I am now even more excited, have the Christmas lights this weekend so not sure when ill get to see it but I really want to see it now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you want to see this, be aware that the current ad for it at the cinema (at least in Cineworld) is one of those dreadful ones that gives far too much away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I thought it was very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

This must have been the most expensive film this year due to the set having to be rebuilt over and over again with the scenery chewing. But it is great fun.

Avoid reviews and just go see it. Even kermode spoiled it partially in the first 10 seconds of his review.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

saw it yesterday, thought it was great fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well twas a cold Sunday afternoon. Said to herself 'Lets go to the pictures.'

And what a blast we had.

An utterly perfect whodunit. The cast was exceptional but the script was the real star. Clever and witty.
    Wonderful film.

I just wish more films were made like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Now that more people have seen it, can I just flag two particular moments -
    the ‘Fran’s dead’ reveal and the final shots
    - as bordering on perfect?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

I believe the correct word to describe this film would be; 'spiffing'

• Advertisement

Now that more people have seen it, can I just flag two particular moments -
    the ‘Fran’s dead’ reveal and the final shots
    - as bordering on perfect?

Particularly the second moment and
    the pan down to show the mug Marta's holding
    - *chef kiss*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ok, I'm going to duck out of this thread, because I've not seen this yet & those black bars are just too tempting by half.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also, I usually don’t give a **** about box office, but it’s encouraging if nothing else to see that this has proven a hit, apparently doubling expectations. It’s not necessarily an underdog given the cast and a director just off a massive franchise film, but it’s great to see a relatively modest-scale original film making its mark. That the film is great doesn’t hurt, I’m sure ;)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/frozen-2-box-office-scores-124m-holiday-record-knives-hits-42m-1258559

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

There's something so... satisfying when you get to see a good actor just let rip and knowingly ham it up. It really suited this type of in-joke heavy whodunnit. At the same time a loving tribute and hilarious send-up of Agatha Christie. Craig really is pitch perfect throughout, from ridiculously over the top to (slightly) more subtle when needed.
    And the
    doughnut hole
    line had me in stitches - was like something out of a Coen caper.

Seeing as the film was full of nods to other murder mysteries, I wonder if the doughnut stuff was a reference to Twin Peaks?

Knives Out - 8/10

Really happy to see Rian Johnson get so much deserved praise for this star-studded murder mystery. It's great to see an original work succeed in an age where studios are relentlessly churning out franchise films, reboots and sequels.

The audience I saw it with had just as much fun as Daniel Craig seemed to be having on screen. His Kentucky fried Benoit Blanc is a key tone setter and his transitions from comedic to more serious moments are effortless.

With such an array of talent, I was surprised that Ana de Armas was chosen as the central protagonist. To her credit, she not only holds her own, but she ends up the standout performer.

It's best to go in cold knowing as little as possible, but I will say this; There is a moment that comes early on that felt like a final act revelation. It's from this point on that the move really had me in its grip. It fills you with so much intrigue.

The climax doesn't quite surpass some of the earlier inventive moments, but this is still a thorough recommendation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"What's the Cheeeeese?".

Great performances, great fun, great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this at the weekend and I absolutely loved it. Even though it has nothing to do with Christmas it had a Crismassy feel to it, if that makes any sense.......Anyway it gets stuck in straight away and doesnt let up til the end. Just a ridiculously entertaining film all round. Daniel Craig isnt give enough credit for his acting, after a couple of minutes I'd forgotten I was watching Daniel craig and bought completely into his character. I saw it in a packed theater and everyone seemed to be having a blast. Its the kind of film you could actually take the whole film to, kids and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I had a good laugh at the start of the film when Craig first spoke as I didn't watch any trailers or know much about the tone of the film. Had no idea what Craig's character was supposed to be like (and with the name Benoit Blanc I was half expecting a Poirot knock-off) so when I heard him first talk I laughed and thought "Aaaah, so it's that type of film... Excellent".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, what a perfectly balanced, immaculately crafted machine of deviousness that was; I daresay this is going to be a landmark film, against which future Murder Mysteries will be judged. Just utterly, fantastically entertaining and a true joy to watch as it gently unravelled its secrets. Never withholding, never rolling its own eyes at the excess of it all, all executed with playfulness and a deft touch that made it look easy. Not to mention finding a perfect balance between drama & comedy, with some genuinely heartfelt or hilarious moments. Not the most visually idiosyncratic of Johnson's works, but his experience with puzzlebox narratives meant he could knit all the disparate wires together and stick the landing. Everyone was on top form, and while scenery was chewed, it wasn't because the actors didn't believe in the material & were just letting lose; the performances suited the melodrama of it all, a twinkle in the eye of each actor, savouring the fun had by all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭kerplun k

There you go folks, the most entertaining film of 2019. I loved every minute of this.

Man, I want that donut shaped piece of art with all of the knives for my apartment ;)

Daniel Craig hamming up that Kentucky accent to perfection.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

I love how the script's final action had the confidence, and trust in its audience, that it didn't need to call back to the original clue & tip of the hat. The communal realisation & laugh in the audience I sat in, that "ahhh, of course!" when
    Ransom failed to tell the difference between a stunt and real knife, just like Granda observed at the start of the film
    , was fantastic.

Genuinely think in years to come this will be held up as a near flawless script & piece of art-entertainment. Rare enough I want to immediately see a fim a second time, just to watch the various cogs get put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Really enjoyed the movie was quite good a feel good movie. I left wondering whether the Daniel Craig character was not actually a good detective as throughout he seemed to be ignoring key peices of information. He seemed to get lucky in the end.

So I see this has accrued $75 million in worldwide box-office so far; no idea what the budget was, but that reads like a success to me? Good to see this is garnering some success, validating the worth of smaller, intelligent crowdpleasers. (especially released against a juggernaut like Frozen 2)

pixelburp wrote: »
    So I see this has accrued $75 million in worldwide box-office so far; no idea what the budget was, but that reads like a success to me? Good to see this is garnering some success, validating the worth of smaller, intelligent crowdpleasers. (especially released against a juggernaut like Frozen 2)

Budget is estimated at $40M according to IMDB so unless its legs completely drop out from under it I'd say it's doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Really enjoyed this. I liked the
    flip from who-dun-it to cat and mouse game and then back again.
    Thought the cast were really on form and some wonderful shots too. Would highly recommend.

🤪

Anyone on Twitter and who wants some very film nerdy insights should check out Johnson’s regular cinematographer Steve Yedlin - lovely little tidbits about the details that go into seemingly simple shots!

https://twitter.com/steveyedlin/status/1203374687444594689?s=21

Some interesting (if you like the technical/nerdy stuff, and I often do) stuff there, cheers!

Also saw a link to this very technical interview with Yedlin about the nuts and bolts of how the look of the film was achieved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Probably the best film I have seen this year. I might even go see it again before it leaves the cinema. Brilliantly constructed and loads of fun from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I enjoyed it but found it far too predictable to warrant it amazing, i loved the cast and performances, but the whole "mystery" was all too meh, he telegraphs everything throughout, like absolutely everything, didnt bury anything in any actual conversations :(

Advertisement