Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Notre Dame Vs Navy 2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Thankfully they’re sticking with Landsdowne and not using Croker. It’s a much better venue for an American football event.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Thankfully they’re sticking with Landsdowne and not using Croker. It’s a much better venue for an American football event.

yeah agree, and would imagine notre dame will probably help fill it up rather than penn state/ucf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

yeah agree, and would imagine notre dame will probably help fill it up rather than penn state/ucf

Navy had a lot of people at the last game too. Filled up the whole north stand (I know it’s small, but still).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Whoop!!!

PLAY BAAAAAAAALLLLL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

5 games between 2020-2024 inclusive, I assume that's one per year. Phenomenal news!

https://www.the42.ie/aviva-stadium-american-college-football-4305034-Oct2018/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

5 games between 2020-2024 inclusive, I assume that's one per year. Phenomenal news!

https://www.the42.ie/aviva-stadium-american-college-football-4305034-Oct2018/

I suppose I'll wait for Auburn v Alabama to come along then :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

But I want a game now, 2020 is like years away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Whats the story with the IAFL and all the jazz that went before about them not being consulted or the game being unsanctioned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

BKWDR wrote: »
    Whats the story with the IAFL and all the jazz that went before about them not being consulted or the game being unsanctioned

What the league said at the AGM at the time was that basically, from my notes

1. Essentially IAFA is 10,000 euro out of pocket after the situation due to legal fees and the legal costs owed for work done on the sanction contract to Irish American Events Limited (IAEL)
    2. IAEL did not have sufficient insurance (their insurance only covered the promotional activity) and IAFA were advised that as the National Governing Body for American Football sanctioning the event could cause issues with their own insurance and invalidate it/push premiums up.
    3. The Assistant Secretary for Tourism and Sport from Dept of Transport, Tourism, and Sport was invited but did not attend.

It went to a vote, I can't remember if it was unanimious or just a vast majority but it was passed that IAEL will no longer be engaged with by IAFA.

This was in the Commissioners Report for the year
    The one disappointment for the sport in 2016 was the ALCFC. The event organisers approached IAFA seeking sanction for their games, as is required under the International protocols and for various domestic reasons. From the outset, there was never any push from the organisers to engage with local fans – their main reasons for seeking sanction from us were on the regulatory front and to satisfy Government policy. IAFA did not make any requests of IAFA other than they comply with the minimum criteria for sanction. It even waived the application fee. Unfortunately, and in spite of IAFA making every effort to assist, including offering advice and extending deadlines for compliance, they failed to demonstrate compliance with minimum requirements including re: the necessary insurance/indemnification and there were Code of Ethics failures including background check fails by event staff re: the High School games.

IAFA kept the Department and Minister’s Office appraised of the situation on a regular basis. There was also no cooperation with a suggestion made which may have resolved the lack of insurance issue. Unfortunately the problems materialised too late to be resolved without the cooperation of the organisers and the organisers decided to proceed on the basis that the State cannot physically stop a non-compliant event at present.

We are aware that, particularly due to the fatality at a recent uninsured, non-NGB sanctioned MMA event earlier this year, there have been very significant changes to the State’s views towards non-NGB sanctioned events. While too late to have an impact on the ALCFC – as grant monies had been paid out before the MMA fatality – based on Department announcements it is expected that, going forward, it will be very difficult for the State to justify funding or providing assistance to any non-NGB regulated sporting event going forward. IAFA was told by Sport Ireland that it should not sanction non-compliant events. IFAF [International Federation of American Football] agreed with the decision to refuse sanction. Our insurance company was not happy with the insurance situation and our solicitor advised us not to sanction the event. In tandem with IAFA, both Trinity College Dublin and the Federation of Irish Sport withdrew from their involvement in the High School games. It is most regrettable that following the organisers failure to meet the minimum criteria, that they focused on trying to maliciously discredit our organisation rather than addressing their failures. A full presentation on the ALCFC will be made at the AGM.

This is what they said about the Gathering Bowl Navy vs Notre Dame in 2012
    For the record, the State funding for the 2012 Navy v Notre Dame game was as follows:

Failte Ireland Festivals & Events Grant: €550,000
    The Gathering Sponsorship: €450,000 - requested as grant aid when the game was proposed, but changed to 'sponsorship' at a later date
    Tourism Ireland Cooperative Marketing: €60,000
    Television Advertising purchased by Tourism Ireland: €90,000
    Total: €1,160,000
    The various parties with direct commercial interests in the 2012 game made an estimated profit of €15m.

With that being said, there has been significant changes at Board level in the Association since then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Starting to develop as a long horns fan, would love to see them over at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DM1292

Chuffed with this. I've gone to a few of the NCAA games in the past & travel over to London for the NFL every so often.

All good craic up by the Aviva but even better when you go somewhere like Sinnott's after for NCAA Gameday and catch all of the other games!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just a heads up on this.
    The Off the Ball channel on YouTube have a interview with Chet Gladchuck the Athletic Director of Navy and Padraic O'Kane from Irish American Events.
    Worth a watch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I know this is still over a year away.... wish it was sooner, but any idea when tickets for this go on sale?

I was hoping to pick a couple off as Christmas gifts if they go on sale before December 19?

EDIT: Never mind, I watched the Padraic O'Kane interview on Off the Ball Youtube, great watch, and he said it'll be approx March 2020 before the tickets go on sale, see ye in 10 months :pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    I know this is still over a year away.... wish it was sooner, but any idea when tickets for this go on sale?

I was hoping to pick a couple off as Christmas gifts if they go on sale before December 19?

January or maybe a little after id say (the last one was so far back and i cant remember when they were released.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

January or maybe a little after id say (the last one was so far back and i cant remember when they were released.

I managed to answer my own question thanks to OldRio's post.

I watched the Padraic O'Kane interview on Off the Ball Youtube, great watch, and he said it'll be approx March 2020 before the tickets go on sale :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Not sure if this was already known, but I see on their site tht kickoff time is set for 7pm. First evening game here?
    https://collegefootballireland.com/2020-hospitality-packages/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The FAI pre-sale started today so tickets might be in general sale soon.

Jofspring wrote: »
    The FAI pre-sale started today so tickets might be in general sale soon.

In time for Christmas ones hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

We were told March time at the league AGM. There was an presale during the week for IAFA members. Tickets bands are 60, 80, 135, 200, and 235.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

What’s the FAI presale ?
    I’m a FAI season ticket holder and didn’t hear anything about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

What’s the FAI presale ?
    I’m a FAI season ticket holder and didn’t hear anything about it

I got it through the vantage club which were the ten year tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Have tickets for this gone on sale? I see on ticketmaster you can get premium tickets for 600 but i assume these are one of the package deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

OAOB wrote: »
    Have tickets for this gone on sale? I see on ticketmaster you can get premium tickets for 600 but i assume these are one of the package deals.

March 20th tickets go on sale with pre-sale 2-3 days before according to Off the Balls American Football podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If it goes ahead, pre sale tickets go on sale Wednesday March 18th at 1pm GMT.
    You get sent a private Ticketmaster link 30 minutes before.
    Prices a lot higher than the last time.
    General public sale Friday 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Blut2

It'd be pretty shocking for the country if things were locked down all the way until August 29th, almost 6 months away, so hopefully its OK on that front.

This article: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/storied-rivalry-of-notre-dame-and-navy-set-for-another-dublin-chapter-1.4190748

Says "Tickets for the game priced from €60" though which is surprising. Probably looking at 65eur ish for the cheapest/crappiest seats including booking fee. They must be pretty confident in lots of American ticket sales if so, they won't get many Irish non/casual-fans of the sport heading along at that price.

Its usually possible to get tickets for the Leinster Aviva games for either 10e with their promotional offers, or 25e for the cheaper/crappier seats otherwise. So to have the cheapest ticket price point almost twice that is pretty surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Blut2 wrote: »
    It'd be pretty shocking for the country if things were locked down all the way until August 29th, almost 6 months away, so hopefully its OK on that front.

This article: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/storied-rivalry-of-notre-dame-and-navy-set-for-another-dublin-chapter-1.4190748

Says "Tickets for the game priced from €60" though which is surprising. Probably looking at 65eur ish for the cheapest/crappiest seats including booking fee. They must be pretty confident in lots of American ticket sales if so, they won't get many Irish non/casual-fans of the sport heading along at that price.

Its usually possible to get tickets for the Leinster Aviva games for either 10e with their promotional offers, or 25e for the cheaper/crappier seats otherwise. So to have the cheapest ticket price point almost twice that is pretty surprising.

Cheapest for Ireland (football or rugby) is usually €35. Be interesting to see how this goes. I know Army/ND was a big sellout 8 years ago but the games since then haven’t been

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Cheapest for Ireland (football or rugby) is usually €35. Be interesting to see how this goes. I know Army/ND was a big sellout 8 years ago but the games since then haven’t been

It sure was.
    A lot of Americans came over for it and all the hotels in Dublin and surrounding
    areas were full with fans, bars and restaurants in cc were mobbed.
    Good friendly banter between the fans as well.
    It'd be pretty shocking for the country if things were locked down all the way until August 29th, almost 6 months away.

Hopefully not.
    So to have the cheapest ticket price point almost twice that is pretty surprising.

I'd say it's more for the American fans as they are well used to paying big money for matches in the States.
    Will be interesting to see how many Irish fans end up going to it at those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

okidoki987 wrote: »
    If it goes ahead, pre sale tickets go on sale Wednesday March 18th at 1pm GMT.
    You get sent a private Ticketmaster link 30 minutes before.
    Prices a lot higher than the last time.
    General public sale Friday 1pm.

How does one get access to the pre-sale?

polaris68 wrote: »
    How does one get access to the pre-sale?

https://collegefootballireland.com/game-tickets/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

okidoki987 wrote: »
    It sure was.
    A lot of Americans came over for it and all the hotels in Dublin and surrounding
    areas were full with fans, bars and restaurants in cc were mobbed.
    Good friendly banter between the fans as well.

Hopefully not.

I'd say it's more for the American fans as they are well used to paying big money for matches in the States.
    Will be interesting to see how many Irish fans end up going to it at those prices.

Well if they have sold 35,000 to US fans as claimed they will have no problem selling the rest. The issue will be if thousands decide not to travel, or are not allowed to travel etc.

Advertisement