Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

5th-17th July in des Ormes €1100 with lifestyle holidays for 3 bed cabin. Last year got an Airbnb about 20 mins away from puy du fou for 2 nights (€110) with a 3 day pass & cinscenie night show some of the best days we ever had on holiday, packed a 35ltr backpack those days with supplies from carrefour sandwiches/snacks etc, took our time & used their app to schedule shows it will give you reminders & mapping.

Anybody think the new ruling on vouchers will work with Irish ferries if family donate their tesco tokens for you to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

medic112 wrote: »
    Anybody think the new ruling on vouchers will work with Irish ferries if family donate their tesco tokens for you to use?

Good question!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Took the plunge and booked club le farrett in Languedoc for next June. I used Eurocamp discount code 20risc01 and it knocked 40% off. 10 nights in comfort 2 bed with the usual a/c + deck + bed linen for €628. Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Boat and sites booked! We treated ourselves and booked the deluxe suite but not sure if its gonna be worth it! We usually just get the 4 bed window, to fit a cot and I liked the way they where down the back on the boat and straight in the direction of the sailing! I have a feeling we will be lying sideways up front, therefore feeling the waves alot more!!

We are doing 4 nights in normandy this year along with the usual 2 weeks in les charmettes. Looking forward to it, it's a shame to go to France so often and not check out the historical sites around Normandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Took the plunge and booked boat and 12 nights in des menhirs in June.
    Hoping it'll all go smoothly and weather won't be too disappointing. As long as it's mostly dry we'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Deluxe Suites are a big step up, mad price but nice. Work paid for mine, was better than I expected nice amount of room and well laid out. Enjoy it.

Kindalen, it wasn't that much extra when you factor in that you get breakfast included and snacks and soft drinks in club class lounge and free mini bar :-)

Just wondering has any one had a dispute with IF. To book the cabin this year we were made "reserve a seat" now we will not be using the seat but the cabin is a 4 berth, but fits a travel cot, which we also had to reserve. Last year and other years we booked a 4 berth window cabin also for 5 of us, we never had to reserve a seat for the over occupancy because it fitted the cot! I've been back and forth this morning with IF and they just keep saying it because the cabin is a 4 berth!!! Any one ever get anywhere with them or an I wasting my time. I have forwarded on last years booking, which shows the 5 of us booked into 1 4berth cabin..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

amor3 wrote: »
    Kindalen, it wasn't that much extra when you factor in that you get breakfast included and snacks and soft drinks in club class lounge and free mini bar :-)

Just wondering has any one had a dispute with IF. To book the cabin this year we were made "reserve a seat" now we will not be using the seat but the cabin is a 4 berth, but fits a travel cot, which we also had to reserve. Last year and other years we booked a 4 berth window cabin also for 5 of us, we never had to reserve a seat for the over occupancy because it fitted the cot! I've been back and forth this morning with IF and they just keep saying it because the cabin is a 4 berth!!! Any one ever get anywhere with them or an I wasting my time. I have forwarded on last years booking, which shows the 5 of us booked into 1 4berth cabin..

Would the age of the baby in chóir make a difference?
    They have definitely changed the booking options this year, this could be one of the scenarios they wanted to catch ppl for by changing. That or it's a scenario that they didn't factor in to the changes.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Would the age of the baby in chóir make a difference?
    They have definitely changed the booking options this year, this could be one of the scenarios they wanted to catch ppl for by changing. That or it's a scenario that they didn't factor in to the changes.

No, the cot ages are for infants (0-3) my daughter was 1 last year so 2 next sailing.. this is the reply I've just got about it...

Never ever have I heard or seen them mention kids to top and tail in beds!!!!

And I'm not being stingy, but I just think the decent thing to do would be to charge either for the seat or the cot, not both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aidan Harney

I'm keen to press go on a France trip for late June 2020.Will reserve irish ferries using Tesco vouchers and book a Campsite directly if I can.
    The question I'm asking for advice with, in people's experience, is there merit in waiting for 'January sales' or a deal with irish ferries, is that a thing, or is there a best time to book with them? I'd be annoyed to book today and realise that I should've held out till early Jan for example...
    Grma.
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Irish Ferries just announced 10% off for bookings until 14 Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on doing a 7-10 trip to france in a eurocamp style location in April (Easter holidays). Has anyone done it before nad have any reccomendations on location etc? how was the weather? would you go again?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Total newbie to French camping here so looking for some tips on where to start! Will be July or august travel with a two and 4 year old sailing from dublin.
    Would appreciate any tips with websites for booking, recommendations for a campsite convenient from cherbourg please. Also what to book in terms of ferry accomodation. Genuinely don't know where to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Juggle around midweek sailings to try and get the lowest prices.
    Book the cheapest cabins that are left.
    You don't need a cabin with a window.
    Do not bring buggies/etc. up to your cabin.
    Do bring a few games, comics, and snacks.
    Make sure your passports are in order.
    Book asap, €100 secures with Irish Ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Fly and hire a car
    You'll lose three days otherwise and then you still have the driving
    Some lovely campsites at base of Pyrenees on med coast that should be open
    Or you could go somewhere that still had snow on local mountains and hire a chalet. They would be very cheap that time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You'll have to be more specific - "France" is a big place! :cool: Today's mid-afternoon temperatures range from 0°C to 15°C across the country, freezing fog to bright sunshine. April will be the same - you could have falling snow in one area and temperatures in the mid-20s elsewhere - so do you want to go skiing or sunbathing on a beach? I've camped (campervanned) all over the country at that time of year, and "going" again this year (going north, not entirely my choice but money talks ... :( ) If you're into hiking across dramatic landscapes and standing beside raging waterfalls, April is one of the best times to visit as the rivers are full of meltwater and the winter rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Hi,

Any help would be appreciated.
    We are going to France for just shy of 3 weeks from the beginning of June. Bringing a toddler who will just have turned 3,and a baby if 11 months. Wondering can anyone recommend a couple of suitable campsites? The furthest we will go south is probably about Lá Rochelle. Thanks for any help
    Also, are we crazy to be going in first week of June?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hi,

We are going to France for just shy of 3 weeks from the beginning of June. Bringing a toddler who will just have turned 3,and a baby if 11 months. Wondering can anyone recommend a couple of suitable campsites? The furthest we will go south is probably about Lá Rochelle. Thanks for any help

Don't think you're crazy at all. A lot of the campsites will be quiet then but you may very well want that, given the age of your kids.
    Bel Camping in La Tranche sur Mer is a small quiet campsite which may very well suit you if you're prepared for a 6hr drive from Cherbourg. It's about an hour north of La Rochelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi,

Would recommend less charmettes or its sister site. Both by siblu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭josip

Heroditas wrote: »
    Don't think you're crazy at all. A lot of the campsites will be quiet then but you may very well want that, given the age of your kids.
    Bel Camping in La Tranche sur Mer is a small quiet campsite which may very well suit you if you're prepared for a 6hr drive from Cherbourg. It's about an hour north of La Rochelle.

+1 for Camping Bel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Would recommend less charmettes or its sister site. Both by siblu

These would be ideal in June. Well run, safe and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Juggle around midweek sailings to try and get the lowest prices.
    Book the cheapest cabins that are left.
    You don't need a cabin with a window.
    Do not bring buggies/etc. up to your cabin.
    Do bring a few games, comics, and snacks.
    Make sure your passports are in order.
    Book asap, €100 secures with Irish Ferries.

This will be our 3rd time to France with the kids. This time youngest will be 9 months upon travelling. Would you still recommend no buggy on ferry? Is it not very difficult with the baby? Maybe I’ll invest in a sturdier baby carrier. At the moment I only have the newborn wrap carrier.
    Edited to ask:
    Any tips from anyone for travelling on ferry/being on campsite with baby in general? Our other two are 5 and 7 so this will be our first time travelling with a baby in tow.

The buggy advise was aimed at the nightmare of manoeuvring it around when getting on and off the ferry, both for yourself and everyone else.
    You see people struggling with buggies containing children well able to walk and carry their own bag ( in my opinion!)
    If you have a car seat that clips out, and has carrying handle, it's easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The buggy advise was aimed at the nightmare of manoeuvring it around when getting on and off the ferry, both for yourself and everyone else.
    You see people struggling with buggies containing children well able to walk and carry their own bag ( in my opinion!)
    If you have a car seat that clips out, and has carrying handle, it's easier.

baby sling is even easier.
    if the child is in a cot bring a travel cot with you

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

baby sling is even easier.
    if the child is in a cot bring a travel cot with you

I’ve requested a cot in the cabin but I wouldn’t have thought of the buggy hassle (well hopefully I would have closer to the time!) I’ll buy a decent baby carrier/sling for the trip I think. Would be worth it.

Bring the minimum of stuff on board, its awkward climbing up and down four flights of steepish stairways with bags, baggage and kids in tow.
    Especially when 1800 other people are trying to do it at the same time....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Hi,

What ship are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

First Up wrote: »
    What ship are you using?

We are close to rosslare so probably from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

We are close to rosslare so probably from there

That'll be the Stena Horizon so. It isn't a luxury cruise ship by any means but there is a bit of space and I think a play area for kids. There might be a few staircases to negotiate.

Advertisement