Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

That's the trouble, the bar end came off easy, but the nut inside is somewhere in side the handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Bar ends are a pain, never had one come out and go back in easily. I'd change them. Oxford ones are fine and weighted OK, I can't comment on the spurious ones but check their weight before buying. Also silly season is upon us so you'll get a discount if you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Lcass

I recieved my learner permit on the 02/04/19. Completed my IBT in june for the A1 category. Wanted to gain some experience on a 125 first. Last week I went back and completed module 5 for the A2 category. When can I apply for my full A2 driving test. 6 months since I first recieved my license or 6 months from now after completing my IBT. Thank you ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Depends. If u had an A2 permit on your initial license then 6 months from the date of issue

Depends. If u had an A2 permit on your initial license then 6 months from the date of issue
    This is the back of my license

• Advertisement

Lcass wrote: »
    This is the back of my license

Which is a learners permit

Which is a learners permit

You have a learner permit in am,A1 and A2.
    You can take the driving test in any of those now 6 months has passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Which is a learner permit

Fixed that for you

Unreal thank you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

As already said, it's from date of issue. Explained here:

https://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/6-Month-Rule/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Hi, can i drive a Honda super cub 125 (the new type) on a full car license.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

Phil.x wrote: »
    Hi, can i drive a Honda super cub 125 (the new type) on a full car license.

No. Older car licenses gave you M which was for a 50cc scooter (so no joy on the 125), but any new car licenses don't come with M, and you need a bike license for any bike or moped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

No. Older car licenses gave you M which was for a 50cc scooter (so no joy on the 125), but any new car licenses don't come with M, and you need a bike license for any bike or moped.

So realistically no chance unless i spend big and long hours testing.

Im 100kg so a 50cc wouldn't pull me up a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why would you expect to get a motorcycle licence "for free" with a car licence?

Completely different type of vehicle, never mind class. Completely different set of skills needed.

They were right to end the freebie class AM thing.

Do you think that someone passing a motorcycle test should get a free car licence?

Or pass a car test and get a free truck licence?

Training that will help keep you alive is a good investment.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Why would you expect to get a motorcycle licence "for free" with a car licence?

Completely different type of vehicle, never mind class. Completely different set of skills needed.

They were right to end the freebie class AM thing.

Do you think that someone passing a motorcycle test should get a free car licence?

Or pass a car test and get a free truck licence?

Training that will help keep you alive is a good investment.

100% this.

I just passed my IBT recently having had a non AM licence. I can't believe they used to let you onto the public roads with no training on a scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

troyzer wrote: »
    100% this.

I just passed my IBT recently having had a non AM licence. I can't believe they used to let you onto the public roads with no training on a scooter.

Agreed.
    However IBT is a scam. The rule should be mandatory 10 lessons before insurance is granted.
    My IBT training left me still needing lessons yet I can still go on the road.
    It would be cheaper for beginners and safer for all road users if my suggestion was the actual law.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

shutup wrote: »
    Agreed.
    However IBT is a scam. The rule should be mandatory 10 lessons before insurance is granted.
    My IBT training left me still needing lessons yet I can still go on the road.
    It would be cheaper for beginners and safer for all road users if my suggestion was the actual law.

I know of many people who did the 10 or 12 lessons whatever it is, in a car and needed many more. I did two lessons no some that did none.(pre requirement). I was grand after my ibt having never ridden before.
    It's an individual thing, you're free to take more lessons if you feel the need, it's far from a scam is it a perfect system, nope but no learning/teaching method is.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Mjolnir wrote: »
    I know of many people who did the 10 or 12 lessons whatever it is, in a car and needed many more. I did two lessons no some that did none.(pre requirement). I was grand after my ibt having never ridden before.
    It's an individual thing, you're free to take more lessons if you feel the need, it's far from a scam is it a perfect system, nope but no learning/teaching method is.

Assuming you meant you did two lessons in car. Did you pass your bike test after only doing IBT and no bike lessons?
    My experience of IBT was very poor.
    Please feel free to msg me where you got good IBT as I’m often asked who to recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with your experience on your IBT but I was quite happy with mine. Thing is with bikes, you're always learning, but I'm not sure what you expected from it, an IBT and a pre test lesson are very different things.

shutup wrote: »
    Assuming you meant you did two lessons in car. Did you pass your bike test after only doing IBT and no bike lessons?
    My experience of IBT was very poor.
    Please feel free to msg me where you got good IBT as I’m often asked who to recommend.

Yea two car lessons, honestly been to busy to take my test with work college and a bit of laziness, I don't know how to pm but can happily recommend my instructor, a gent and wealth of knowledge.
    A poor instructor will leave ya in the lurch, good instructors will get ya to the level ya need to be at or tell you you're not competent to be on the road. Unfortunately too many sign people that aren't competent off.
    There are some scammers but there are in all industries, anyone I've heard talk about my instructor knows him to be one of the best around that people happily travel for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

In my 20s I rode small mbikes. Since then cars, but thought about a small bike 50 to 125cc to go to work in the good weather months.
    Is Tax about €60 per year?
    Can insurance be got for 6 months?
    How much would insurance be?
    Do I have to get a separate mbike licence and do basic training before I can go on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

lipso wrote: »
    In my 20s I rode small mbikes. Since then cars, but thought about a small bike 50 to 125cc to go to work in the good weather months.
    Do I have to get a separate mbike licence and do basic training before I can go on the road?

Is Tax about €60 per year? - Tax will be no more than €88 - smaller CC bike will probably be bit cheaper.

Can insurance be got for 6 months? - No.

How much would insurance be? - No one knows and it varies. I paid around 500 as a 29 year old on a 03 Honda Varadero 125cc in Galway City.

Do I have to get a separate mbike licence and do basic training before I can go on the road? - For the 125cc yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

What about a 100cc,can it be driven on a car licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

If you're referring to the AM class on car licences first granted pre-Oct 06 that's a 50cc max moped only. Need to go through the theory test->learner permit->IBT route to legally ride anything above that.

Tax on a 125cc is €67
    No unless you cancel 6 months in then you'll never build a ncb, and if its stolen or damaged though sh*t.
    How long is a piece of string, if you've dealt with insurance companies before you know no one can tell you, ring around and find out.
    Old AM I think it was only covers upto 50cc mopeds that have a speed restriction.
    Yup, theory test -> permit -> ibt ->insure and ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Hey guys,

Is anyone on here an instructor..and available? I have been let down by 2 in the last few weeks and really need to get out with someone who can advise me ie watch me and see where i can improve (which I imagine is alot :)) and just "fine tuning" riding in general.

Been watching lots on Youtube but really feel I need to get out with someone in the know and am now apprehensive of googling another instructor, only to be told they are too busy and when it comes to the day before my lesson they cancel :(

I liked the lads at Airport driving school, where I completed my IBT, but as a learner, cannot drive out there to get a lesson on my bike!

Hey guys,

Is anyone on here an instructor..and available? I have been let down by 2 in the last few weeks and really need to get out with someone who can advise me ie watch me and see where i can improve (which I imagine is alot :)) and just "fine tuning" riding in general.

Been watching lots on Youtube but really feel I need to get out with someone in the know and am now apprehensive of googling another instructor, only to be told they are too busy and when it comes to the day before my lesson they cancel :(

I liked the lads at Airport driving school, where I completed my IBT, but as a learner, cannot drive out there to get a lesson on my bike!

Any reason you can't ride to the airport driving school?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Any reason you can't ride to the airport driving school?

I can't go on the M50 as a learner...

• Advertisement

I can't go on the M50 as a learner...

I figured that was the reason. Maybe I'm missing something but there's non motorway routes.
    Especially If you found them good and are struggling to find another instructor.

When I was trying to arrange IBT I found a lot of the instructors hard to pin down for dates but in my case I had limited time and a specific date.
    Probably not being helpful to you here, sorry.

Advertisement