Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Pike sign in Oughterard.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Seems pretty obvious, but strangely not enforced.

PIKE

The CONSERVATION OF PIKE BYE-LAW NO. 809, 2006 provides for the following conservation measures:
    • It is prohibited to kill more than 1 pike in any one day,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2010/act/10/section/59/enacted/en/html

The local clubs can apply to IFI to hold pike killing competitions under section 59.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I am assuming that a full survey of the lake and it’s trout numbers in decline because of pike predation and not just grant the license to kill them without actual proof?
    Tbh killing pike to protect stocked fish is ridiculous! Triploids will do more damage to wild trout population than pike. Triploids will eat everything in the lake and cut off natural food supply to breeding trout numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Eph1958 wrote: »
    Seems pretty obvious, but strangely not enforced.

PIKE

The CONSERVATION OF PIKE BYE-LAW NO. 809, 2006 provides for the following conservation measures:
    • It is prohibited to kill more than 1 pike in any one day,

Its prohibited to kill more than one pike larger than 50cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I see the oughterard cavemen are at it again.
    Their facebook page showing a picture of lots of dead pike from one of their killing sprees.

Maybe the Oughterard people are just concerned about the living conditions of the pike.. they don't dislike pike in general, just don't think that Oughterard is the right place for them to have to live... :pac:

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Maybe the Oughterard people are just concerned about the living conditions of the pike.. they don't dislike pike in general, just don't think that Oughterard is the right place for them to have to live... :pac:

Couldn’t pay me to live there anyway. Maybe you’re right

Couldn’t pay me to live there anyway. Maybe you’re right

They are a bit backwards alright.

I am assuming that a full survey of the lake and it’s trout numbers in decline because of pike predation and not just grant the license to kill them without actual proof?

This is basically whats happening, not just with the Section 59 competitions, but with the gill netting. Post a question on the Oughterard for the scientific proof that the pike are directly causing a decline in trout numbers in Ireland, and prepare to be blocked from their page.

This goes way deeper than Pike though. The Pike are just a scapegoat. The locals loved the old western regional fisheries board, as they were local people, and did what the clubs told them. When the regional boards amalgamated into Inland Fisheries Ireland, their influence didn't have as much power in City West. In a lot of people's eyes in the west, pike anglers are viewed as outsiders (the "UK/Irish Pike Lobby" as they call them), that need to be kept out, and they are willing to sacrifice their own lakes to keep them out.
    Tbh killing pike to protect stocked fish is ridiculous! Triploids will do more damage to wild trout population than pike. Triploids will eat everything in the lake and cut off natural food supply to breeding trout numbers.

As far as I'm aware, the Trout that are stocked into Corrib aren't Triploids. They net Trout from the feeder rivers, harvest their eggs, and release them back into the lake as fry.

Nails have been thrown onto the slipway, onto Lough Corrib at Annaghdown.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=525586184898985

Nails have been thrown onto the slipway, onto Lough Corrib at Annaghdown.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=525586184898985

Ffs.

• Advertisement

looking for a reaction again. I see someone posted about recent stock surveys showing more trout in derg than corrib, they deleted the comment (of course :rolleyes: ) so I can't find the links they posted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Have the IFI stopped Gill netting there or what's the craic??? Seen the pictures , makes the blood boil but I wouldn't expect anything less from them knuckle draggers, are they posting it to put people off Pike fishing there ??

Have the IFI stopped Gill netting there or what's the craic??? Seen the pictures , makes the blood boil but I wouldn't expect anything less from them knuckle draggers, are they posting it to put people off Pike fishing there ??

They dont want anyone other than snooty game anglers on the western lakes.

They dont want anyone other than snooty game anglers on the western lakes.

Game anglers have been doing this for too long. Used to see them in blessington lake killing the jacks and big hens also. Found a massive skull up there before off a big hen that looked like it was caved in by heavy object.

no the nets are still going down. IFI are reviewing their pike policy, it was supposed to be finished by march, but we're still waiting.
    Its not going to make much of a difference anyway, these idiots are going to keep killing pike no matter what the law says

Still at it out West...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Apparently the reverse cowboy position is banned in certain parts of oughterard, your not supposed to turn your back on family!!

Oh I'd imagine it's missionary only for those rednecks....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I rarely fish and I have never fished on the Corrib but I live nearby and I know a little bit of about water resources. Pike are a natural part of the Corrib ecosystem - simple as that. However many trout fishermen are involved in the culling of pike on the Corrib. It's wrong but it's happening. I believe it will lead to an explosion of perch, roach and hybrids which will have a bigger impact on small trout.

Trout numbers are declining in the Corrib but it's due to environmental reasons.

On the flip side I have heard that some disgruntled pike fishermen have introduced pike to trout hatchery waters (e.g. Owenriff catchment) in Connemara. Very wrong.

It will not end well but there is no talking to either side.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If this thread is an example of the Muppetry that goes on I'm not surprised if lads don't drown each other. Absolutely bizarre behaviour and the thread is 4 pages of venom. Even down to slagging locals whom probably don't even involve themselves in your silly games .

The explosion of perch, roach and hybrids is well underway, to the point that the anti pike lads are calling for them to be netted now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Wasn’t there an explosion in an invasive weed in the past while?

They are back at it again on Facebook. Promoting catch and kill competitions.

Make a comment that doesn't align to their views and your comment will be removed and you won't be able to view their pages again.

IFI need to step in soon or it's going to end up with someone getting hurt or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fisherking

I don’t think you have met many trout anglers from the corrib to say that ….

Advertisement