Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Rules - General Discussion Thread

Options
  • 31-10-2019 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So someone made the suggestion in the other thread that we have a separate thread for 2021 as there are new rules and new cars coming so here it is.

We can always add it to the other thread after the season is over and goes quiet to keep it going until next years thread comes along.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

They look like they are shorter, are they? I hate how long the current cars are aesthetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

geotrig wrote: »
    They look like they are shorter, are they? I hate how long the current cars are aesthetically.

I thought that as well. I don't think anyone knows for sure yet but I am sure there was an article about them saying the cars will be shorter for 2021.

I think it would be great to see the floors go as well. Never really liked that part of the current cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

yeah the barge boards are really ridiculous at the moment. Let's hope the research is right and it creates better racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Any word on Ferraris special deal? Is the veto and extra money still there? Or is that separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The only thing I'd change about the thread is that maybe a "2021 Rules" would be a more indicative title for now, considering there's a full other season in between :)

As for the car's render...I'm on the fence. It's not a looker, like the Formula E car the taste is "what would a 5 years old tasked with 'draw a fassst race car' come up with", but pure looks are somewhat secondary. Changing that horrible "funnel" rear wing to an Indycar-style (or F1 1980s style) central-pylon wing would already help massively. Also, I'm a fan of cars without an airscoop, and the engines being forced induction it could be done without. There is still plenty of space for sponsorship.

The front wing is where there will still be problems: it's too massive and still too complex. As F1's technological research relevance is not bound strictly on aerodynamics, they shouldn't be afraid of going backwards a few decades in that department. Have a flat, straight, narrower and shorter front wing with only one horizontal, reverse wing-profile plane generating low drag downforce, and one adjustable flap plane for high drag. The width shouldn't go past the inside of the front wheel rims.

The sharklet-like design of the endplates is actually very clever in terms of cleaning the air (it arguably works better than the "wingtip fence" used so far in F1, ask Airbus) and perhaps more interestingly, should present a much lower risk of puncturing tires in case of contact. It's probably sturdier too.

I need to brush up my notions on ground effect, but seeing where the inlet vanes are, I wouldn't want for the front wing to negatively affect the airspeed getting in there. But I'd imagine much better engineers than myself will have thought about that :)

Lastly, it's been stated cars will be between 3.5 to 5 seconds per lap slower than current ones, which is a great thing and the way to go. Slower speeds mean wider margins and more room for drivers to make mistakes without being harshly punished by the consequences, which in turn means more aggression and "seeking the limit".

Obviously, people are already complaining that "cars will be sloooooowww!! Buhuuuaaa!!". They'll never learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Lastly, it's been stated cars will be between 3.5 to 5 seconds per lap slower than current ones

I can see it now, the year is 2035, and people are giving out that the lap records are all 15+ years old. Queue faster cars, rinse & repeat :) Joking aside, I wonder where F1 will be in 15 years time...what sort of balance will it have struck with fossil and renewable energy? Where will F-E stand? Interesting times...

I actually like the cars, there's something a lot more simple and 'pure' about them, than the current beasts. `Granted they're a bit copy-book race car looking, but that's not always a bad thing - again, I like them! Hopefully the numbers tally, and we see much closer racing by 2021.

I've a feeling someone will ace the new designs though, like the ground effect system, and reap the rewards. A bit like Vettel mastering the blown diffuser, while Webber seemed to have difficulty mastering it.

Ms

Inviere wrote: »
    I actually like the cars, there's something a lot more simple and 'pure' about them, than the current beasts. `Granted they're a bit copy-book race car looking, but that's not always a bad thing - again, I like them! Hopefully the numbers tally, and we see much closer racing by 2021.

I've a feeling someone will ace the new designs though, like the ground effect system, and reap the rewards. A bit like Vettel mastering the blown diffuser, while Webber seemed to have difficulty mastering it.

Williams maybe?

Here is a good video about the cars and rules for 2021,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk-JKrs0rrc

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I can see it now, the year is 2035, and people are giving out that the lap records are all 15+ years old. Queue faster cars, rinse & repeat :) Joking aside, I wonder where F1 will be in 15 years time...what sort of balance will it have struck with fossil and renewable energy? Where will F-E stand? Interesting times...

Bold prediction - F1 will still be pretty much the pinnacle; Formula E will have disappeared into oblivion, after electric battery powered motors will have proven to be, once again, unsuitable for transportation - and more importantly, people finally waking up from the marketing drumming and realizing the problem is not what the engines run ON, is the whole idea behind moving 1500 Kg of steel in order to bring 100 Kg (change the ratio to 2000kg:45kg in the case of SUV driving small ladies) of meat and bones to and from work every day.

But then again, that would need people to be rational...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

FE needs a life changing battery breakthrough to compete at F1 level, they only race for 80km and need 250kg battery to do it

Racing for 305km with 3 times more like a modern F1 car at a reasonable weight is impossible

• Advertisement

3.5-5 seconds a lap slower is a joke, only just reaching 2004 levels, 15 years later this year

Formula slow more like

F1 should be a combination of mind blowing speed and racing

These new cars are barely faster than F2/GP2

Road cars are getting close ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Mike9832 wrote: »
    FE needs a life changing battery breakthrough to compete at F1 level, they only race for 80km and need 250kg battery to do it

Racing for 305km with 3 times more like a modern F1 car at a reasonable weight is impossible

That breakthrough will come at some point and at some time in the future F1 will be all electric, it's just a question of when not if.

Inquitus wrote: »
    That breakthrough will come at some point and at some time in the future F1 will be all electric, it's just a question of when not if.

Don't think so

Batteries are well understood at this stage and been no breakthrough in 30 years of huge money thrown at them

We will get incremental improvements

Supercapacitors or something new entirely will be the breakthrough

F1 cars will use some type of high energy dense carbon free fuel imo

Ms

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Don't think so

Batteries are well understood at this stage and been no breakthrough in 30 years of huge money thrown at them

We will get incremental improvements

Supercapacitors or something new entirely will be the breakthrough

F1 cars will use some type of high energy dense carbon free fuel imo

I have a neighbour who while claims they have a made a breakthrough and are working with BMW on it. I think its just dreamtalking. They drive an electric car and he does solar panels but I think a battery breakthrough is still some time away.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I have a neighbour who while claims they have a made a breakthrough and are working with BMW on it. I think its just dreamtalking. They drive an electric car and he does solar panels but I think a battery breakthrough is still some time away.

Feel the same

Its like cure for cancer, balding etc always few years away/breakthroughs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

When would see first see live tests of these cars should things progress to the FIA's satisfaction between now and the run up to the 2021 season?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Inquitus wrote: »
    When would see first see live tests of these cars should things progress to the FIA's satisfaction between now and the run up to the 2021 season?

Probably March 2021, these cars won't meet 2020 regs so it's not like anyone will get to do a few sessions next year with a '21 package.

Given there's only one season left on the current regs, is it likely there'll be little development from the bigger teams, with them choosing to sink colossal amounts of cash into 2021 R&D before the cost cap comes into effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Given there's only one season left on the current regs, is it likely there'll be little development from the bigger teams, with them choosing to sink colossal amounts of cash into 2021 R&D before the cost cap comes into effect?

That would seem like the rational thing to do. If so, it would exasperate, not solve any disparities. Another example of a well-intentioned policy that leads to unintended counter-effects. It could make it worse - who has the money to sink loads of R&D in this year for 2021 while also spending money on 2020? Only the very wealthy. And this advantage would last for a long time as a cost cap means the others cannot catch up, unless they are super efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, this should go down well. :rolleyes:
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/1194153859905675264?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Could use Hydrogen?

The broadcaster take the helicopter apart and fly it in a jumbo to each race....

But if we all drink our water or hino from a recyclable cup its all good. :rolleyes:

They also don't know how they will do it as they are looking for someone for the position.

Advertisement