Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rule changes for 2020?

• 28-11-2019 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe a good time to discuss potential rule changes for 2020? Three I’d like to see:

1) Points For as tiebreaker - current system doesn’t make sense, you can’t play Defense against your opponents and the NFL
    Software gives no visibility on how the breakdown works. So you can’t be sure who owns the tiebreaker. Next week this system will see less deserving teams through to the playoffs in multiple boards leagues. Time to move on.

2) Do away with the trade waiting period, allow commissioner to reverse trades manually it there is a suspicion of collusion - we should be looking to encourage trading and only vetoing where collision is a concern. As is, trades not agreed by Thursday evening won’t process in time for a game weekend. And earlier for days like today, where players play on a Thursday. Process them through and people can post on thread or in their league feed to object if they feel something is awry

3) Move from standard to ppr - ppr is increasingly the default setting in the fantasy world. Most leagues play it, most analysis centres around it. In 16 team leagues it specifically makes sense to widen the pool of scoring. Another one where it’s time to move on.

We should discuss these and any other changes at the very least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Maybe a good time to discuss potential rule changes for 2020? Three I’d like to see:

1) Points For as tiebreaker - current system doesn’t make sense, you can’t play Defense against your opponents and the NFL
    Software gives no visibility on how the breakdown works. So you can’t be sure who owns the tiebreaker. Next week this system will see less deserving teams through to the playoffs in multiple boards leagues. Time to move on.

2) Do away with the trade waiting period, allow commissioner to reverse trades manually it there is a suspicion of collusion - we should be looking to encourage trading and only vetoing where collision is a concern. As is, trades not agreed by Thursday evening won’t process in time for a game weekend. And earlier for days like today, where players play on a Thursday. Process them through and people can post on thread or in their league feed to object if they feel something is awry

3) Move from standard to ppr - ppr is increasingly the default setting in the fantasy world. Most leagues play it, most analysis centres around it. In 16 team leagues it specifically makes sense to widen the pool of scoring. Another one where it’s time to move on.

Agree on 1 & 2. I'm torn on the third. I know it's the way things are moving and we've a great Boards PPR league going with a all group. What I love most about standard scoring in 16 teams is having to dumpster dive to find that differential on any given week.

I'd actually like to see the bench reduced to 4 ( not saying it should be a proposed rule change!) To make waivers and trades more interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 37,479 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm against speeding up trades. People have a right to veto and you can't expect them to be logging in every day of the week. It's easy to monitor as it is and should stay that way I think.
    I'm against moving to PPR to. I play in, and love, a PPR league but standard scoring is a whole different ball game and it's good fun the way it is.

I'd like to propose removing the flex position and having 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1DST and 1 kicker.
    It's a 16 team league, I think we have too many positions to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm against speeding up trades. People have a right to veto and you can't expect them to be logging in every day of the week. It's easy to monitor as it is and should stay that way I think.

People get an app notification and email when a trade is processed in their league. This doesn’t remove power to object to a trade - they can use the thread here or the feed for their league to do so. But it pushes an emphasis on people having to articulate why - the only acceptable reason to reverse trades is collusion.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    People get an app notification and email when a trade is processed in their league. This doesn’t remove power to object to a trade - they can use the thread here or the feed for their league to do so. But it pushes an emphasis on people having to articulate why - the only acceptable reason to reverse trades is collusion.
    As it is you can object without anybody knowing you object which is a good thing imo.
    If you think a trade is too one-sided you can object, doesn't have to be collusion.
    As for the feed on the thread, I can't speak for other people but I never look at it. I do use boards obviously but not many come on here too often during the season I think.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    As it is you can object without anybody knowing you object which is a good thing imo.
    If you think a trade is too one-sided you can object, doesn't have to be collusion.
    As for the feed on the thread, I can't speak for other people but I never look at it. I do use boards obviously but not many come on here too often during the season I think.

So you never look at the feed to see who people have dropped on waiver day? Or to scan for drops during the week or players you may want to add? Really?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Can we set divisions that waivers process on Thursday morning and then free agency opens. You have to tactically decide whether to use your waiver or not. Will you take a chance if your target will still be there or not? Good fun. It was how it was always done

Boards Division 7 turned this off and free agency became a free for all scramble on Tuesday but at some random time when players were unlocked. I never figured out when free agency started. It was neither equal or fair

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Can we set divisions that waivers process on Thursday morning and then free agency opens. You have to tactically decide whether to use your waiver or not. Will you take a chance if your target will still be there or not? Good fun. It was how it was always done

Boards Division 7 turned this off and free agency became a free for all scramble on Tuesday but at some random time when players were unlocked. I never figured out when free agency started. It was neither equal or fair

That’s an error by the commish in how div 7 was configured

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    So you never look at the feed to see who people have dropped on waiver day? Or to scan for drops during the week or players you may want to add? Really?!
    No, I look at the players available. I spend a lot of time on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yes to 1. I might be relegated with the same record and more points than someone who isn’t...

No to 2. There’s nothing wrong with a waiting period (but I’m ambivalent about this tbh)

No to 3. Definitely no. PPR might be standard elsewhere but I like having one league where it isn’t used.

I’m OK with the line up settings (I pressed for the flex to be included previously and think it works well). Wouldn’t mind 4 man benches though. It might lead to more trades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Agree with all of this, PPR is now the standard on NFL site as mentioned, maybe we could even start off with 0.5 PPR for a season and see how it goes.
    This might be an unpopular suggestion but I'd also recommend changing platforms to Yahoo. As I mostly use the mobile app for all my interactions, the NFL app is dogshi*t in comparison - painfully slow and clunky. This was my first year using Yahoo fantasy having been purely NFL for the last few years & Yahoo is hands down the superior platform.

So for you guys who want to change to PPR, why not set up a PPR league or join the boards one?

Hoki wrote: »
    This might be an unpopular suggestion but I'd also recommend changing platforms to Yahoo. As I mostly use the mobile app for all my interactions, the NFL app is dogshi*t in comparison - painfully slow and clunky. This was my first year using Yahoo fantasy having been purely NFL for the last few years & Yahoo is hands down the superior platform.

Would have been with you on this a year ago but I think the NFL app has made giant strides this year and clearly has an active development team working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

That’s an error by the commish in how div 7 was configured

That league's a disaster, I think the commissioner just kind of gave up a few weeks ago!

Agree to the OP's changes though, trades should be immediate with just commissioner veto if collusion is suspected. I prefer PPR too but 0.5 could be a good compromise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

I don't really get the rationale for the never reset waiver priority, surely if the target is to keep teams engaged and help them to improve it should reset weekly in reversed standings (bottom team that week gets first waiver priory that week).
    Yes it makes it tougher for the top teams to get the flashy new commodity on the WW that week, but makes it easier for lower teams to churn their roster and stay competitive.
    I'd like to see a change in the waiver system

conor222 wrote: »
    I don't really get the rationale for the never reset waiver priority, surely if the target is to keep teams engaged and help them to improve it should reset weekly in reversed standings (bottom team that week gets first waiver priory that week).
    Yes it makes it tougher for the top teams to get the flashy new commodity on the WW that week, but makes it easier for lower teams to churn their roster and stay competitive.

It already should be set that way, no?

conor222 wrote: »

The rationale is that you need to be selective about using your priority waiver. So it adds a layer of strategy

These leagues are tough. Really tough. That’s not a bad thing IMO

No, once you pick up a player through waivers you go to the bottom. A guy that never uses it will be no. 1 as long as he doesn't use it.
    Personally I like it resetting every week with the player with the worst record having first pick.
    Like it's not abnormal to be unlucky at the start of the season and lose your two best players to IR. With the waiver priority like it is you might never get a decent replacement. Meanwhile the guy going well in the league with no injuries can sit and wait for a great option to emerge and make his squad even stronger.

See the arguments for both, but ideally FAAB would be utilised. Tends to be the fairest system ime and adds a deeper element of strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

I'd definitely be in favour of faster trade processes. Not pushed on PPR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Guffy

1. Fab bidding, failing that a resetting waiver wire.

2. Standard scoring. If you want to play ppr set up a ppr league or join the existing one. This league, imo is the standard version of the two and should remain so. I don't understand why this comes up every year seen as there is already an option there.

3. No one should be vetoing trades barring obvious collusion. Managers should be allowed to manage teams how they like.

4. I like the division schedule and the current head to head tiebreaker. I'd have points for as a 3rd tie break. Points for favours boom or bust players too much imo.

I didn’t realise it was head to head to decide placings. Happy enough with that so

Dodge wrote: »
    I didn’t realise it was head to head to decide placings. Happy enough with that so

Well you shouldn’t be happy with that. It’s a vastly inferior tiebreaker in fantasy.

Well you shouldn’t be happy with that. It’s a vastly inferior tiebreaker in fantasy.

Ha ha.

1 Head to head
    2 points scored

Can’t see how anything is better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Change: Waivers to FAAB (tactical while still giving injury affected/worse teams a chance to turnover quick)

Trade Waiting to Instant (or at least a much shorter period)

Keep: Standard Scoring (need for PPR ladder next year or would split teams too much?)

Head to Head (increases stakes of current in-division setup of 3 games at start/end. If possible (don't think so) wouldn't mind points for being used for wildcard/consolations purposes but for in-division standings (i.e. top 4 seeds) head to head is better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

I like the rule changes that were suggested.

Changing to PPR now makes sense to me as it has become the standard on most platforms.

Move to FAAB would be great.

Vetoes

One thing I really dislike however is this.... Veto if a trade is too one sided. This is straight up rubbish. If I have made a decision to trade a player say for another then there is no reason for anyone to veto it unless it's collusion.

I can have my reasons for making the trade and if I am doing it to benefit my team then there isn't any grounds for it to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

For the people saying head-to-head is better, it's better in real life NFL games but far inferior in fantasy. It's unfair to have an advantage over another team just because you played against them when their good players are on a bye, had bad matchups etc. Points for is an accurate way to establish who had been the best team throughout the year as it doesn't penalise a team for having a bad week.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Head to head is by far the best and fairest tiebreaker.

For the people saying head-to-head is better, it's better in real life NFL games but far inferior in fantasy. It's unfair to have an advantage over another team just because you played against them when their good players are on a bye, had bad matchups etc. Points for is an accurate way to establish who had been the best team throughout the year as it doesn't penalise a team for having a bad week.
    So random guy has 200 points one week and has ten or more less than you every other week and he beats you because his team had one freak week.
    How is that better than head to head?

• Advertisement

AirDemon wrote:
    One thing I really dislike however is this.... Veto if a trade is too one sided. This is straight up rubbish. If I have made a decision to trade a player say for another then there is no reason for anyone to veto it unless it's collusion.
    If it's too one sided it could be collusion. The veto allows you to make sure there is no collusion.

Advertisement