Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I've Joined a Cult

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Lumen wrote: »
    I ate an unseasoned silk worm once during a tour of a silk factory in China. That was fairly grim.

Were you walking round with your mouth open or was it intentional?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Were you walking round with your mouth open or was it intentional?
    IIRC part of the process involves blanching the worms before the silk is extracted. I picked one out of the vat and asked whether it was edible. I think they said it wasn't inedible, so I ate it.

I was a lot younger and a little stupider then.

Ah you're too hard on yourself, who wouldn't try to eat a worm on a tour of a chinese silk factory?

17:30: 3 of the original 6 returned to the tin. 1 new participant took from the tin (the new participant tends to not indulge as often, he is leanest indulger).

Just so we're clear, i posted this not to point and laugh but it seems that people on certain diets are driven to find sugary food. and the bigger you are. the more driven you are to seek sugary food. The leaner people tend to indulge less. Now are they leaner because they indulge less or do they indulge less because they are leaner and their genetics shields them from same sugar highs and crashes.

I tend to agree with Taubes that it's genetic and some people's metabolism can be derranged easier and that in the end your body weight (and misinformation) drives your consumption of sugar in a vicious circle. And your weight is not a sign of your moral fibre but your bodies attempt to clear sugar from the blood stream by converting it into fat. Of course I could be talking out my h0le.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

You should throw in some laxatives and see who returns :pac:

• Advertisement

Zyzz wrote: »
    You should throw in some laxatives and see who returns :pac:
    i'd be tempted to leave a bowl of nuts out to see how quick someone says "oh no they're fattening".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pete, the field of sugar substitutes and insulin-related health is fascinating.

For instance, I discovered today that Xylitol (used in chewing gum) may be fantastically healthy in humans in even in large quantities (being metabolised without any insulin response, and possibly preventing diseases like Alzheimers through maintaining gum health) but is absolutely deadly for dogs in very small quantities, as in them it triggers a huge insulin kick which sucks all the real sugar out of the blood causing fatal hypoglycemia.

I'm slightly tempted to start experimenting with low-GI energy drinks. The only downside is the possibility of severe gastric distress.

i'd be tempted to leave a bowl of nuts out to see how quick someone says "oh no they're fattening".

Depends on what nuts we are talking about..

1334211883640.gif

Lumen wrote: »
    Pete, the field of sugar substitutes and insulin-related health is fascinating.

For instance, I discovered today that Xylitol (used in chewing gum) may be fantastically healthy in humans in even in large quantities

No. please stop. I can't read anymore. I'm on hiatus from nutrition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Somehow I missed all this thread. I have not read through it all, but I have gone down this direction for about 9 months now. I was very aggressive towards LCHF for an athlete during the winter and it worked very very well. My FTP went up by about 5% (big increase for me) - I also noticed that it was a very anabolic diet - I could easily put on upper body muscle by doing a little body weight exercise (I stopped doing it - don't want any more muscle on my arms!)

As an example for folks who say you can't perform well on LCHF - this was performed on <50g of carbs the day before and a 3 egg omelette with bacon, butter, creme fraiche and almonds for breakfast. http://app.strava.com/activities/41114262

It took me months of adapting to be able to do something like that - it is a process...

Racing in Asia - being able to keep a good diet was extremely difficult - it wasn't good for me. I have to make adjustments to be able to deal with that in the future. There is only carbs there and little quality meats/fats.

Carbs are still a chunk of my diet mostly from rice, sweet potato, veg and fruit (only around training). I still use gels during races. If I was an ironman type athlete, I would probably go down a more full ketogenic route.

Food - as was mentioned before, the type of foods/meals I eat now are much much more tasty than what I did in the past. Butter tastes good. Tonight, a huge rib-eye will be going on the pan.

Here is an example of what I ate in February while training hard:

9am breakfast - omelette, bacon, creme, butter, tomatoes, coffee

10:30 - 15:30 big training, food from 2hrs in, mostly home made bars etc... I follow my body, not eat by schedule - sometimes I would eat little, sometimes lots.

15:30 rice + eggs + sardines + lots of salt - big meal

19:00 huge salad with a fatty cut steak, bowl of vegetables mixed with butter, glass of wine

21:00 some nuts/olives/salami/meat cuts

I have been vegan, vegetarian, pesciterian, high carb, high protein, went down almost all different types of diets for significant lengths of time. What I'm doing now has me feeling the best I ever have been. I weigh about the same (maybe a tiny bit more), I'm about the same leanness - but my energy levels post training as just gone through the roof - I used to be trashed every afternoon. Sometimes I still am, but much much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...What I'm doing now has me feeling the best I ever have been....
    So the rest of us can expect even more Strava humiliation! :D

but my energy levels post training as just gone through the roof.

If your strava account stops working or goes missing..

..it wasnt me :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Zyzz wrote: »
    If your strava account stops working or goes missing..

..it wasnt me :pac:

o-rly001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

So the rest of us can expect even more Strava humiliation! :D

Well, I actually mean more off the bike. Chronic endurance (what I do), probably isn't the best thing for long term health - I think the higher fat, more paleo diet supports my body a lot better than the other things I did before. Junk food has not been a regular part of my diet for many many years, so when I was vegan etc... it was always the best, most unprocessed foods I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

5th day in this madness. I am dying not to eat any sugars. I am craving all kind of junk food, mainly jelly beans and cheesy puffs, which I don't usually eat. Maybe it wasn't my most brilliant idea to start this just before I go off to holidays.

I am struggling with breakfast, I am having only eggs and bacon so far. Everyone around thinks I 've gone full retard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

Try omlettes made with bacon and loads of spinach, onions, peppers chilli.

or avocados and smoked salmon

or a smoothie made with coconut milk, berries, banana and ice.
    all the delicious fats keep you full for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Made some oopsie bread and as you could expect it feels or tastes nothing like bread, it's more like a soufflé. It's not bad tasting though. Last night I had to eat some sugar, so I stuffed my face into slices of watermelon. It could have been worse.

I also noticed that it was a very anabolic diet

Have you read or listened to Doug McGuff? He's a proponent of slow high intensity weight training. He makes a big issue about striking a balance between the anabolic and catabolic state. I don't want to get into an argument over his training methods but he does raise some very interesting points in relation to exercise and health.

I think a lot of people are over training with a view to keeping a continuous calorie deficit for weight maintenance or doing too many miles in the mistaken belief that more training will automatically get you fitter. For the average Joe I think weight control and fitness need to be thought of as 2 entirely separate issues. You control how much you weigh by the type of food you eat and not by calories burned. And control fitness by doing sufficiently sparse but hard training allowing for a lot of recovery time in between.
    Chronic endurance (what I do), probably isn't the best thing for long term health

I'm starting to believe all endurance exercise is more bad than good. I live on the marathon and mini-marathon route and once the elite pass it doesn't look like most of the participants are engaged in a healthy activity.

I suppose with cycling you don't have the impact injuries to worry about which is a positive.

• Advertisement

Excuse the "be all you can be" nature of this conference but from this point on McGuff explains what is going on in your cells and why a paleo diet and high intensity interval training may be a good idea.

http://youtu.be/2PdJFbjWHEU?t=1h2m38s

I'm not gonna say it's correct, but it is interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭elhorse

I'm absolutely intrigued by the whole low carb/high fat and protein diet, and have been looking into it for a while. I've cut out grains and a lot of other carbohydrates almost completely. Just one point I was hoping some of you guys might be able to help with though - what amount of carbohydrates do you take in after training (e.g. weights or sprint sessions)?

elhorse wrote: »
    what amount of carbohydrates do you take in after training (e.g. weights or sprint sessions)?

The only time I get an urge for carbs is during a race and after a long spin in the mountains. But I don't train every day or even every 2 days so I'm not looking for a quick recovery (if carbs actually help there) or a dose of sugar to pick me up. So I don't increase my low intake over and above what comes in the vegetables I eat.

I don't get any urge for carbs after short sprint sessions. I was in the gym last week doing some strength exercises and didn't feel the need for a big dose of carbs after.

If you look at Ryan_Sherlock's post above, he details what he eats on a typical hard training day. Ryan is an elite athlete placing very heavy demands on his body, so bear that in mind.

Joe Friel is a member.

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2013/08/aging-my-race-weight.html

Have we reached tipping point yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Joe Friel is a member.

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2013/08/aging-my-race-weight.html

Have we reached tipping point yet?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

BBC late last night repeated The Men That Made Us Fat.

Fascinating take on the evolution of modern day obesity and the supression of scientific data regarding sugar and processed carbs (particulalrly fructose).

What was revealing was the interview with the former executive from Coca Cola. He explained why they shifted from sugar to corn based frutocse. Done for cost reasonas in the 1970s due to the spiralling cost of sugar at the time.

Since then hwever the quantities of fructose used in soft drinks has allegedly increased by three times despite fructose being sweeter than sugar to start with. The implication being that the big global beverages companies have realised that the sweeter the drink the more addictive it is and the quicker that it flies off the shelves.

What was hilarious was the growth in obesity in tandem with calorie watching lite/lo cal foods.

On again next Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

And this is the cover of the current National Geographic:

national-geographic-sugar-love.jpg

So there might be some sort of awakening to how wrong we've been getting things.

Then again, don't cultists often feel that while they are the vanguard of some new, profound, and still marginally believed truth, that truth is so wonderful that it is always about to become universally accepted?

The problem with that cover is a lot of people will remember this from 1984 and not believe the new reality.

1101840326_400.jpg

266536.jpg

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    the vanguard of some new, profound, and still marginally believed truth, that truth is so wonderful that it is always about to become universally accepted?

New?? William Banting was trying to tell the world in 1864.

http://www.thefitblog.net/ebooks/LetterOnCorpulence/LetteronCorpulence.pdf

What's another 149 years?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement