Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Career in Meteorology

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Yeah you can get back in your box now. Take your nasty digs elsewhere. Thanks

And THAT's why you don't get hired.

I think I will. I've been very patient with you over the past few months and have tried to help you in any way I can as I understand your situation, but there comes a time when the term "flogging a dead horse" springs to mind. So good luck with whatever you do, but don't be expecting any more help (or Northern Ireland data) from me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

And THAT's why you don't get hired.

I think I will. I've been very patient with you over the past few months and have tried to help you in any way I can as I understand your situation, but there comes a time when the term "flogging a dead horse" springs to mind. So good luck with whatever you do, but don't be expecting any more help (or Northern Ireland data) from me.

Ok that’s your prerogative. I won’t miss the constant nagging about my weather station.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Ok that’s your prerogative. I won’t miss the constant nagging about my weather station.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I have a passion in Meteorology and have had this interest since childhood. This expanded out to my own weather station at about 16 and then a Davis Vantage Pro 2 this summer.

I went on to study Meteorology in England and have attained a Bachelors degree in the subject, in July of 2019.

Since graduating I have had an uphill battle to get a job, searching high and low. In the U.K., there is only about 2 jobs a month, if that. I applied to the Met Office a few times and was always rejected at the Assessment Centre.. what was demotivating was that they take on people without a Meteorology degree so it sort of made my degree look pointless.

I also applied to the Royal Navy (this was the closest I got) and was called 18 times only to give up after realising what I was in for. DTN was the other company I applied to.

So what is becoming clear to me is the lack of jobs in the sector. I search and search for jobs and come across very little. I did manage to gain a temp retail job but this is not where I want to be.

The problem is that these jobs are very competitive and I am competing against some highly qualified individuals. For ex, one job I was rejected had laid off airline pilots with 30 years of service.

I unfortunately did not do my degree with a placement. All of the Met Office placements are for Undergraduates, I have contacted companies looking for work experience and have got nowhere.

I explored alternative avenues such as Internships with UNEP or EUMET but got nowhere there either.

I am looking to get into the industry but have very little ground to gain in terms of advancing my goals or differentiating my portfolio.

It has become quite depressing to continually be looking for jobs and make no headway... I am sitting idle waiting for an opportunity or for the winds to change. Nothing is happening whilst I watch my peers move up in life.

I regret studying this degree.

You need to like software developing to really do it. I hated it and went it to the QA side.

What about teaching? Do a postgrad and go down that path?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

You need to like software developing to really do it. I hated it and went it to the QA side.

What about teaching? Do a postgrad and go down that path?

I have no interest in IT, I understand it pays well and has a large amount of job vacancies. Though I have been reading lately that it’s saturated with graduates.

I am thinking data analysis but idk. I’m really only diverging down this path due to the weak meteorology job market, that is my desired career.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    Why did you ask about interviewing if you genuinely cannot take on board a single criticism? Do you want advice or not?

No - I don’t want antagonising advice from people who aren’t working in the industry. Who themselves have poor communication skills and who can’t write a criticism without being hateful.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I won’t miss the constant nagging about my weather station.

GL's gif sums it up nicely.

People trying to help you and come out with something like that?

And then you wonder why some people appear hostile!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 science101

would you consider an alternative route, I know in astrophysics specifically exoplanets, there is a growing field of modelling climates on other planets (ive talked to people in this field and they use elfrc code (based on fortran) and its what the met office use)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

No - I don’t want antagonising advice from people who aren’t working in the industry. Who themselves have poor communication skills and who can’t write a criticism without being hateful.

This is an enthusiasts forum, so unlikely you'll get an answer from someone working directly in field. You should write to Met Eireann or the UK Met Office for the advice you are looking for since you rejected (after asking) any given here. Both orgs are very friendly and accommodating to all sorts of queries and will help out as much as possible. For example, I have asked the UK Met for help with access to data/charts etc a couple of times and even though I am out of their jurisdiction, they were wonderfully helpful. Same with Met Eireann. If they can help you out in anyway at all, they will and then some.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

Gaoth Laidir (and others) gave very sound advice and were genuinely trying to help you and then you say the above!

And he also gave very sound advice about how you can try progress with meteorology as a career and you say this:

"Yeah you can get back in your box now. Take your nasty digs elsewhere. Thanks"

This was your reply to:
    "You're not the first person to be unsuccessful in a series of interviews and you won't be the last. It happens to most people.

Maybe you need to start looking at yourself instead of constantly blaming others. Just some harsh constructive criticism, based on what I see here. It's important to be humble, open to other ideas and a team player, but unfortunately you don't come across as any of those, at least here anyway. I would seriously start asking questions of how those coaches you're paying are actually doing their job."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Closing this thread. I think everybody has been as helpful as they can be and I am not sure any more advice can be given on the matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement