08-01-2020, 22:44   #31
Soups123

I’ve signed up for this, try out on the 18th. Looking forward to it but a complete novice
Advertisement
08-01-2020, 22:47   #32
LollipopJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soups123 View Post
I’ve signed up for this, try out on the 18th. Looking forward to it but a complete novice
Fair play. All the coaches want to see in the tryouts is your heart and desire, the program starts with the basics, you're not expected to know anything
08-01-2020, 22:52   #33
Soups123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LollipopJimmy View Post
Fair play. All the coaches want to see in the tryouts is your heart and desire, the program starts with the basics, you're not expected to know anything
That’s perfect no acting needed on my part so. Just hoping it’s a good mix of people with plenty of proper beginners so if selected it’ll be as equal a footing as possible
09-01-2020, 10:20   #34
LollipopJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soups123 View Post
That’s perfect no acting needed on my part so. Just hoping it’s a good mix of people with plenty of proper beginners so if selected it’ll be as equal a footing as possible
That's the idea of it, there will be experienced people in there too but you will learn from them. I know one guy going in is very experienced but he loves to share his knowledge and experience. Anybody that has completed it will tell you it's life changing. Just give it 100% and you'll be grand. There is only a small number of people that have ever made that walk into a cage and nobody will ever be able to take that from you.

For yourself or anybody else reading I'm happy yo answer any questions here or by PM
Thanks from:
11-01-2020, 18:32   #35
cowzerp

I don't understand why someone would pay so much to do something they could do in any mma gym, if you want to do an MMA match just join a gym and train with dedication without paying silly money
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2020, 18:48   #36
Whelo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowzerp View Post
I don't understand why someone would pay so much to do something they could do in any mma gym, if you want to do an MMA match just join a gym and train with dedication without paying silly money
But you can't do it in any MMA gym. You can't walk into any other MMA gym in Dublin knowing that 40-50 other people will be starting off on more or less the same level as you, get 5 days a week dedicated, tailored, specific MMA and S&C training with dietary advice added.

You can't go into any other gym in Dublin knowing that at the end of it you will complete in an event specifically for your group in a well matched novice bout against someone you now call a 'friend' after getting to know each other over the previous 5 months.

There are probably only two other MMA gyms in Dublin that have the wealth of experience and knowledge in them that SBG HQ have.

Is it over priced compared to a normal membership in any other MMA gym in the country? Yes.

Is it worth the price you pay? I would suggest yes it is.

Many people want to have the experience of an MMA fight but with the relative safety of knowing who they will fight at the end. There are lots of non SBG HQ MMA and BJJ gyms that have benefit from new members out of the wimp 2 warrior programme that may never otherwise have stepped foot in them.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2020, 19:56   #37
teotwawki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowzerp View Post
Even worse; you're paying to be the subject of a for-profit TV show.

It's one thing to join a gym, pay fees, train with dedication, decide to do ammy fights etc. As you suggest. But as soon as there's someone sticking a camera in your face, recording your journey, having ownership of the footage and ultimately selling it to TV networks for a tidy sum.... you'd have to be very naive to pay to participate.

To top it off, you have to pay your own medical. You have to sign a liability waiver. You sign over likeness rights (for how long?). You sign a binding contract. If you get injured there's no refund. And so forth. It's all incredibly one-sided, which is fine if you were being paid. But you're actually paying them!
11-01-2020, 20:02   #38
LollipopJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teotwawki View Post
Even worse; you're paying to be the subject of a for-profit TV show.

It's one thing to join a gym, pay fees, train with dedication, decide to do ammy fights etc. As you suggest. But as soon as there's someone sticking a camera in your face, recording your journey, having ownership of the footage and ultimately selling it to TV networks for a tidy sum.... you'd have to be very naive to pay to participate.

To top it off, you have to pay your own medical. You have to sign a liability waiver. You sign over likeness rights (for how long?). You sign a binding contract. If you get injured there's no refund. And so forth. It's all incredibly one-sided, which is fine if you were being paid. But you're actually paying them!
Having done it I can say most of what you're saying isn't actually true. Its had a hugely positive impact on my life and I know pretty much every other competitor will say the same.

As I said earlier those that speak negatively about it are those that have another agenda or beef with SBG
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2020, 20:14   #39
teotwawki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LollipopJimmy View Post
Having done it I can say most of what you're saying isn't actually true.
I'm open to correction. Of the claims I made above, specifically what's true and what isn't ?
  1. You're paying to be on a reality TV show
  2. You have to pay for your own medical
  3. You have to sign a liability waiver
  4. You sign a binding contract governing your participation
  5. If you get injured there's no refund

Which ones are not true ?
Advertisement
11-01-2020, 20:28   #40
LollipopJimmy

Quote:
I'm open to correction. Of the claims I made above, specifically what's true and what isn't ?

I'm not interested in going back and forth. But theres no TV show, that was in Oz.

The last two fight nights have been amazing productions, it's certainly not driving big profit for anybody. As for medicals, you're implying other clubs cover this for fighters? Do Tom King or Paul Cowzer cover meds for their fighters?

Same with liability waiver, same as you sign walking into a fit4less.

Anybody who was injured didnt have to continue paying - its paid weekly, why on earth would you be refunded for the training you've done? And anybody who was injured was accommodated on other events.

Like I said, of the couple of hundred of people who have taken part in Ireland you would be hard pressed to find someone who will speak negatively of it.

Relatively speaking it's not that expensive and the price includes full kit too. It works out at about a 10er a session and that's training with people like Will Fleury Lee Hammond, Richie Smullen as well as loads of well known pro fighters who guest coach.

I've done it, I'd do it again, I'm in a position to judge.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2020, 20:32   #41
Whelo79

Quote:

1. No, it's not on tv anywhere. And even if it was nobody is forcing you to take part.
2. Yes. Just like every other amateur fighter would do from any MMA gym in the country.
3. Yes. Just like you do when you go go-karting, canoeing, indoor wall climbing, escape rooms or pretty much anything else you can think of.
4. No idea what you mean by this but you allow them use images on social media etc.
5. Yes. If you get sick/hurt yourself on holiday and return early do you get a refund? If you crash your new car can you return it to the garage for a refund?
(2) thanks from:
07-04-2020, 09:17   #42
u2fanatic

Hi folks,
Anyone know if this year's one got up and running before all of this covid stuff arrived..?
07-04-2020, 13:36   #43
LollipopJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2fanatic View Post
Hi folks,
Anyone know if this year's one got up and running before all of this covid stuff arrived..?
It did and they were about a third of the way through. I think its paused for now
Thanks from:
10-11-2020, 23:08   #44
Azzful

Sorry folks I've just joined boards and came across this about Wimp2warrior program, I've read through the comments and am amazed at how much people are misinformed and can slag off a program they have no clue what they are talking about tipical keyboard warriors,
I myself took part in season 5 of Wimp2warrior and hands down it was the best experience of my life, and here's why I was 46 years old I'd played gaelic football from the age of 7 and I played till 45 the body could not do it any more the Wimp2warrior ad popped up on Facebook with the tryout etc I was looking for something else as was lost by not having football in my life done the trail and was excepted in the program. I'd never done anything else except football before this and was a nervous wreck going down the first morning didn't know what was going to happen didn't know if I'd be able to complete the season 20 weeks 5 morning a week full of self doubt but quickly realised that everyone that was there was in the same boat
And for the first 3 weeks I struggled with everything I was tired sore but when I looked around everyone else there was the same and dealing with there own demons the way it progressed I got fitter and stronger and done things I never dreamt of ever person involved pushed each other on never letting u give up and to see these people make the walk including myself into an octagon full of confidence was an amazing experience and to the misinformed ever amateur sport u have to pay for your own medical and what not this program is not about fighting this is about getting ordinary people to see that they can do whatever they put there mind to, its has honestly changed my life for the better and I volunteer my time now just to see the change in people that sre full of self doubt because of the way there life has gone but when u see them glow after the effort and sacrifice they put in is amazing
(5) thanks from:
11-11-2020, 00:12   #45
derfderf

I never saw this thread before. Really interesting reading everyone's experience.
How did the fights go at the end of everything? How nervous were you actually compared to your thoughts at the start?
I don't think I'd have the drive to complete it myself. A lot of people mention the weightloss aspect, but I'm the opposite. A strong breeze could tko me.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion