Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

he pulled out of fights with, what have to be considered as legit, injuries. He didn't just actively avoid defending it.

He hasn't avoided defending it.

Both Edgar and Aldo were offered a shot at it and both of them turned it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    Augeo wrote: »
    Sure that could be applied to your point too.

Conor came out and said he was "in_eff_i_c_ient" with his energy, from there the "he gassed" crap started to flow.

He had a full training camp for a major fight, he was in tip top condition.

yeah and he came out like an idiot swinging for the fences from the first bell, you try do that and not gas

Paully D wrote: »
    Another 2 and a half months of this, followed by another 6 months if he loses again. Jesus wept.

I'm personally very sick of reading the gassed rubbish, will I have to endure more of that when Nate batters him again?

Depp wrote: »
    yeah and he came out like an idiot swinging from the fences from the first bell, you try do that and not gas

No one was saying that after round 1 iirc.

All was good in the hood, Conor on top and Nate was bleeding to death iirc was the speel.

• McGregor via Submission
    Should have been that defense before anything else. Aldo or Edgar would be ready to fight way sooner than mcgregor will after 202. It'll be over a year without attempting to defend it, 3 attempts (1 abandoned) at a higher weight. Not right, imo.
    Wetwipe65 wrote: »
    Not looking to debate all night anyway, Just think its a lot more got to do with chin than gas, we will see anyway. I'm not looking forward to this as I was he's last few fights, suppose tis drawn out now and we have 200 to think about.
    .will this be conor first fight as underdog with the bookies?

Not yet anyway, Conor is 4/5 at the moment to win and Nate is evens. Conor is still slightly favourite for some strange reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    No one was saying that after round 1 iirc.

All was good in the hood, Conor on top and Nate was bleeding to death iirc was the speel.

look back at the fight and watch the break between the rounds, there was a huge difference between this and his past fights that have made it to the break, he was breathing much heavier and visibly more tired than the other two times and it was pointed out at the time

iirc my comment to the lads i was watching with was ''jesus he looks bloody knackered! i dont like this''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

McGregor via Submission
    he pulled out of fights with, what have to be considered as legit, injuries. He didn't just actively avoid defending it.

There are those that cite the "Brazilian problem"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

look back at the fight and watch the break between the rounds, there was a huge difference between this and his past fights that have made it to the break, he was breathing much heavier and visibly more tired than the other two times and it was pointed out at the time

iirc my comment to the lads i was watching with was ''jesus he looks bloody knackered! i dont like this''

Personally i think its a bit of both,he did gas to some degree no doubt,but in part because nate is so long and Made Conor work that much harder,connecting with anything solid was a lot harder work than he expected.

He caught Nate plenty in round 1 but he missed an awful lot too,his whole fight preparation was not good for that fight and he will correct it this time around.

But the same problems are still there,as in Nates length,size and he will be stronger next time out with a camp set for a fight at 170,Nate will be cutting down from 190 for the fight and will outweigh Conor significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Just don't fancy Conor at 170...will be very good if he he beats Diaz at this weight...don't see it happening though

Yup. Spot on. He was panting heavy and noticeably trying to avoid looking so I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Should have been that defense before anything else. Aldo or Edgar would be ready to fight way sooner than mcgregor will after 202. It'll be over a year without attempting to defend it, 3 attempts (1 abandoned) at a higher weight. Not right, imo.
    August will be his 3 fight at a higher weight, not his 3rd.
    UFC 196, and UFC 202.

12 months between fights is not unusual, no other champ is asked to be stripped.
    Anderson Silva fought at 205 twice, stripping him wasn't even mentioned.
    Sure that could be applied to your point too.

Conor came out and said he was "in_eff_i_c_ient" with his energy, from there the "he gassed" crap started to flow.

He had a full training camp for a major fight, he was in tip top condition.
    Intensity has to match your pace.
    Usain bolt can't keep up with 100m speed for the 400m.
    A middle distance runner can't run at his mile pace in the 5000m, etc.
    That should be plainly obvious. Yet when it comes to MMA, people act like intensity has no bearing on energy levels or stamina. Fighting is bloody exhausting.

We see fighters punch themselves or gas their arms grappling all the time. I'm not sure why it's hard to believe it may have bee none of the factors at play in that fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Many a man has come back from a loss to win the rematch you just gotta look at Bisping,or the great ALI when he came back for revenge against Fraizer and Ken Norton,the problem is the terms of the fight ie outside his normal weight would rather see it at 155 even,this obsession thing is odd,anyways he will be financially compensated win or lose so I wont worry too much about the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    Cathy.C wrote: »
    He hasn't avoided defending it.

Both Edgar and Aldo were offered a shot at it and both of them turned it down.

No they weren't.

Why is it you continue to post this lie?

The mental gymnastics to spin someone refusing to defend their belt while being active and pursuing other fights is a joke.

If Conor has the discipline to shred the front foot of Diaz, and can avoid getting tagged clean I think he might be able to win, maybe. If its a brawl there is only one winner, if it goes to the ground I can't see how he gets the better of it there.

The first fight was immensely entertaining, I look forward to this one finally getting done.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Mellor wrote: »
    Intensity has to match your pace.
    Usain bolt can't keep up with 100m speed for the 400m.
    A middle distance runner can't run at his mile pace in the 5000m, etc.
    That should be plainly obvious. Yet when it comes to MMA, people act like intensity has no bearing on energy levels or stamina. Fighting is bloody exhausting.

We see fighters punch themselves or gas their arms grappling all the time. I'm not sure why it's hard to believe it may have bee none of the factors at play in that fight.

It could have been,but he was finding it hard to catch Nate and had to overextend and work harder to land anything,cardio wasn't causing him to miss so many shots in the first round,cardio also wasn't anything to do with the fact that Nate was able to take Conors best shot.

Diaz via Decision
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Many a man has come back from a loss to win the rematch you just gotta look at Bisping,or the great ALI when he came back for revenge against Fraizer and Ken Norton,the problem is the terms of the fight ie outside his normal weight would rather see it at 155 even,this obsession thing is odd,anyways he will be financially compensated win or lose so I wont worry too much about the result.

Why? Are you on a %?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Why? Are you on a %?

No I mean I wont lose sleep if he losses hes getting well paid for the risk.

No they weren't.

Why is it you continue to post this lie?

Dana:
    "Let me tell you, there was a long list of people that said they wanted the chance to fight Conor McGregor. We called Jose Aldo, Jose Aldo turned the fight down. We called Frankie Edgar, Frankie Edgar turned the fight down.

Source.

Ah not this ****e again its been done 100 times over Dana was caught lying trying to hang the pair of them in public.

Diaz via Decision
    Gamebred wrote: »
    No I mean I wont lose sleep if he losses hes getting well paid for the risk.

But why would his financial compensation affect you?

First I heard of it.

I read that quote at the time and hadn't heard it said since that it was a lie.

• Advertisement

Diaz via Decision
    Dana:

Source.

Yeah, so like I said.

Why do you keep posting this lie?

Aldo was not offered a 45 title shot, Frankie was not offered a 45 title shot.

Diaz via Decision
    First I heard of it.

Who do you think believes that though, really?

But why would his financial compensation affect you?

It wont effect me thats my point,people get too emotionally invested in him wanting the win or loss,the debates on here of which ive had many rage on,who cares, it will effect no ones life bar his own is my point.

Who do you think believes that though, really?

Believes what? I don't get you. Are you saying I'm lying or something? Why would I bother.

I read the Dana quotes on SportsJoe at the time and I haven't heard them questioned since.

The only other article I read regarding it was a while after that where Jose made a comment about turning down the 10-days notice fight offer as it wasn't a 'cockfight' and he'll fight when he has time to train.

Frankie was injured with a groin tear sent them x rays to prove it and Aldo wasnt ready iirc,they were both no go's Dana tried to make it look like they were dodging Conor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Wetwipe65

Jesus lads it seems I can't even give my view on the fight and how I think the rematch will go without being called an idiot or a troll. People often have completely different opinions on the same thing, what would sites like this be for if everyone agreed with each other, and anyone that didn't isn't allowed speak. MMA fans are so precious, a bunch of bitchy moaners. relax!!

Yes, Conor did look to be breathing a bit heavier than normal between the rounds, and im not arguing that swinging wildly isnt going to make you tired but I would not say he was gassed, he wasn't in a spot of bother until Diaz started working. Couple of knees to the body and a clean shot to chin, game over. Himself an Kavanagh seem to think he was going to batter Diaz for the rest of the fight if he didn't "gas". I don't care if your the worlds fittest man, when you get the wind kneed out of you and a good slap in the jaw, Your done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Wetwipe65

Didn't Nate say after the fight that he heard conor gulp for air after a knee or shot to the body, Cardio training can't help there

McGregor via Submission
    pone2012 wrote: »
    Look at the stats

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/stats-a-look-at-how-conor-mcgregor-vs-nate-diaz-went-down/68430

Diaz trumped him in everything except legs....hardly on top
    Stats are great, but they can also be presented in a different ways.
    Overalls are do tell a lot of info. But its makes more sense to look at round by round stats, as that's how fights are scored.

Here's the full stats

Both fighters had a 37% accuracy (significant strikes). But Conor threw more (+22%) and landed over more in Rd1. Conor accuracy was slightly higher in terms of total strikes.

Both fighters had better accuracy in rd 2, 50% and 60% respectively. They both also threw only 1 of 2 strikes in that round.
    Diaz obviously landed more (54 vrs 33). A large part of that was his strikes from the clinch and on the ground. Strikes from range where closer. (39 vrs 30).

Overall they both threw 133 significant from striking range. Conor landed 56 vrs 62 (+11%) for Diaz.

In terms of the stats, the flight was clearly Diaz, not suggesting any different. But it wasn't significantly overwhelming. It was on course to be a clear 19-19 going into the 3rd. Nate should be the favourite in August, but I think its silly to give Conor no chance*.

*Consider the people who gave "pillow hands" Bisping no chance yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

First I heard of it.

Thats a lie. Was pointed out to you numerous times by more than one person

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    Thats a lie. Was pointed out to you numerous times by more than one person
    They were both offer the fight, but not at 145. Neither was able to take it on short notice. Completely understandable.

Saying they "turned the fight down" is BS media spin.
    But it's also silly to keep repeating "it was a lie" ignoring that the fights were considered but not possible. The points at either extreme are wrong and not what actually happen. Not what the drama is.

Advertisement