Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age starting out in Mma?

• 07-05-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

Is it common for lads in their late twenties without previous experience to fight in amateur mma after a year or two training? or are you considered a lost cause at that stage?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

7thRiver wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Is it common for lads in their late twenties without previous experience to fight in amateur mma after a year or two training? or are you considered a lost cause at that stage?

Thanks

In Mma it is common and if you train right you can fight of you want to and your coach believes your ready.

1 of the great things about Mma is it is quite inclusive.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 7thRiver

cowzerp wrote: »
    In Mma it is common and if you train right you can fight of you want to and your coach believes your ready.

1 of the great things about Mma is it is quite inclusive.
    Cowzerp,

That's a relief, I've been apprehensive as I thought that amongst a load of young lads in great condition I'd be well out of my depth. Hoping to compete in some fashion in the future as it's been many years since I competed in any type of sport and really missing it, got a lot of hard work ahead though :)

Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Cowzerp,

That's a relief, I've been apprehensive as I thought that amongst a load of young lads in great condition I'd be well out of my depth. Hoping to compete in some fashion in the future as it's been many years since I competed in any type of sport and really missing it, got a lot of hard work ahead though :)

Cheers for the advice.

River - come and have a look at one of the MMA League rounds, the League is a great way to get involved in MMA competition, even if you have no desires of making it to the UFC and just want to give it a go; although it has been used as a stepping stone to big things by a lot of the current Irish MMA champs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Hi guys,

Thanks

I took up mma at 33 and have had 3 c class bouts so far. Im 35 now and have another fight booked

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

what are the rules for the MMA league? the link seems to be down on your site

Cheers
    River - come and have a look at one of the MMA League rounds, the League is a great way to get involved in MMA competition, even if you have no desires of making it to the UFC and just want to give it a go; although it has been used as a stepping stone to big things by a lot of the current Irish MMA champs too.

• Advertisement

Cheers

shin pads, and no head hits standing or grounded, punch kick knee to the legs and body allowed. most submissions allowed too.

cool, & how many rounds?

thanks

cool, & how many rounds?

thanks

1 5 min round and if ya don't submit them you get a draw, 2 fights on the day too.

that sounds really interesting.

would a fighter who has had a few fights in another combat sport (kickboxing or karate) still be considered a novice?

that sounds really interesting.

would a fighter who has had a few fights in another combat sport (kickboxing or karate) still be considered a novice?

Depends how much, mark is the best man for explaining that tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

There's a few UFC fighters that started late - Brendan Schaub, Matt Mitrione, Kimbo Slice (lol, I know he was a street fighter but only trained in MMA when he was about 35),

• Registered Users Posts: 3 7thRiver

Cheers for the info guys, definitely feel more confident about getting stuck into training :)

Cheers

Having a nightmare with my hosting company this week (always fight week when this happens too)

Rules are pretty straightforward - all the usual MMA rules plus; no head shots, punch, kick or knee allowed on the feet, punch and knee allowed on the ground. No striking at different levels except inside guard.
    No heel hooks or twisting leg locks, no cranks, no slams outside of a take down.
    There are other nuances, but those are the broad strokes.

MMA League Rules

On being experienced in something else -
    Excerpt from -
    About the MMA League
    If a competitor has been training in MMA for 2 years or more he/she is NOT eligible for entering as a rookie, even if he satisfies the normal Rookie criteria.
    If a competitor has been training in a single MMA discipline for 3 years or more he\she is similarily excluded from entering as a Rookie. Disciplines that would count towards this rule are Boxing, Thai Boxing, Full Contact Kick Boxing, Wrestling (Freestyle, Greco etc), Judo or Jiu Jitsu.

the about page was broken, but its back up now, cheers for the heads up!

Advertisement