Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

George St. Pierre vrs Anserson Silva

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I still don't consider GSP's tactic "boring", just because he doesn't finish, doesn't make him boring IMO.

Anyway f*ck Okami, if Jon Fitch beats BJ and doesn't get another shot it's an absolute disgrace! He's been beating everyone in the division and should've had a second shot by now IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I can't see past a GSP win here! I'd put my house on it!

I'll bet my house against your house that Anderson beats GSP! Deal?

Disclaimer - I may not actually own my own house but I'll still allow you to take the bet! :P

I'll bet my house against your house that Anderson beats GSP! Deal?

Disclaimer - I may not actually own my own house but I'll still allow you to take the bet! :P

Deal!

Looks like one of our mothers will be homeless by this time next year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tyreman1

I still don't consider GSP's tactic "boring", just because he doesn't finish, doesn't make him boring IMO.

Anyway f*ck Okami, if Jon Fitch beats BJ and doesn't get another shot it's an absolute disgrace! He's been beating everyone in the division and should've had a second shot by now IMO!
    c'mon mate.....lets be honest here gsp hasnt had the most exciting fights recently....
    put it dis way i dnt get that feeling of " here we go, the judges again" when bones jones ,guida or aldo are fighting !!!....altho im drifting from the first point i made re: his lack of ko power i jus feel goerge's WOW factor of finishing strong has faded ...hence 125 mins inside the octagon in his last 5 bouts....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Aren't we all forgetting about the Belfort fight?:D

I don't blame Jackson for fights being boring, I think he looks at the match-up and picks what he thinks will be the easiest way for his fighter to win, playing the percentages. And the way the rules are, stifling wrestling is the safest way to get a win, if you have good wrestling ability. If you're not a good wrestler Jackson will come up with a different gameplan that plays to your strengths.
    If Dana has a problem with Jackson fighters then he should look to change the rules rather than tell Jackson to change. And of course the only way to make sure you don't get released nowadays is to make sure you win every single fight. Like look at Fitch, Dana would love to cut him since he's 'boring', so Fitch needs to make sure he doesn't lose and to do that he grinds out a win which just feeds back to the original problem.

And since the Sonnen fight I don't see why GSP would try anything other than taking Silva down every round en route to a decision. It might be a superfight for us, but I'm sure GSP would look at it as another fight to win.

And as for the Okami-Fitch problem, I can see Dana ignoring both these guys :(

• Advertisement

Aren't we all forgetting about the Belfort fight?:D

I don't blame Jackson for fights being boring, I think he looks at the match-up and picks what he thinks will be the easiest way for his fighter to win, playing the percentages. And the way the rules are, stifling wrestling is the safest way to get a win, if you have good wrestling ability. If you're not a good wrestler Jackson will come up with a different gameplan that plays to your strengths.
    If Dana has a problem with Jackson fighters then he should look to change the rules rather than tell Jackson to change. And of course the only way to make sure you don't get released nowadays is to make sure you win every single fight. Like look at Fitch, Dana would love to cut him since he's 'boring', so Fitch needs to make sure he doesn't lose and to do that he grinds out a win which just feeds back to the original problem.

And since the Sonnen fight I don't see why GSP would try anything other than taking Silva down every round en route to a decision. It might be a superfight for us, but I'm sure GSP would look at it as another fight to win.

And as for the Okami-Fitch problem, I can see Dana ignoring both these guys :(
    totoally agree wiv u mate regarding the scoring method.......especially when it sways in favour of a wrestler...maybe its time to re-evaluate the scoring.???....not that we'd get a say hahahaha
    i dnt see the point in getting points scored a takedown if u do nothing with it...thats just my opinion as a jits guy....id be happy to be taken down so i could work my game...
    theres two ways i see this going....
    1. silva comes out gauging range and gsp's movement..then pounces,maybe even wit a strike weve never seen b4....pressure pressure pressure and gsp folds to punches in d first or second
    2. it could be a repeat of the sonnoen bout except silva will lose via decision....
    now im not confident enuf to put my house on this hahahahaha....

Holy **** yeah, all this GSP talk is REALLY benefiting Belfort! if Belfort beats Silva, then there will be no GSP v Silva! (Unless Shields then beats GSP... i'm not sure how "Super" they could make this superfight exactly)

And in fairness, i disagree with the "GSP can't finish" brigade.

His last 3 fights were decisions, but he was VERY close to stopping Kos in his last fight and the only reason he didnt finish Hardy was because Hardy was never gonna tap!

alves was a straight up Unanimous decision fine, but previous to that he had been finishing people. Hughes twice, BJ Penn, Frank Trigg............

It actually sickens me slightly that the most dominant fighter in the world (and possibly the best of all time) still gets criticised by people for not finishing! He completely dominates everyone is every facet of the game.

It's always the same "Silva can't wrestle, GSP can't finish, Edgar can't finish.....". it doesn't matter who the fighter is or how good they are, there will always be people who want to criticise them!

tyreman1 wrote: »
    totoally agree wiv u mate regarding the scoring method.......especially when it sways in favour of a wrestler...maybe its time to re-evaluate the scoring.???....not that we'd get a say hahahaha
    i dnt see the point in getting points scored a takedown if u do nothing with it...thats just my opinion as a jits guy....id be happy to be taken down so i could work my game...
    theres two ways i see this going....
    1. silva comes out gauging range and gsp's movement..then pounces,maybe even wit a strike weve never seen b4....pressure pressure pressure and gsp folds to punches in d first or second
    2. it could be a repeat of the sonnoen bout except silva will lose via decision....
    now im not confident enuf to put my house on this hahahahaha....

Yeah, personally I don't think you should get any points for just being on top in guard/half guard, only for volume of strikes and damage done. And a lot more emphasis should be put on improving position.

And the more I think about, Silva is a smart guy too, he would have took note of what Sonnen did to him and I'm sure if he knows he's going to fight GSP he will have done a lot of work on his takedown defense. I think its going to be a nightmare to call this one:D

Holy **** yeah, all this GSP talk is REALLY benefiting Belfort! if Belfort beats Silva, then there will be no GSP v Silva! (Unless Shields then beats GSP... i'm not sure how "Super" they could make this superfight exactly)

"VERY close to finishing kos".....isnt finishing a fight

"didnt finish Hardy was because Hardy was never gonna tap!".....thats like saying i couldnt knock em out cause he didnt av a glass jaw!
    and who is dis frank trigg guy he finished?????? never heard of em lololol.....

look no disrespect to gsp or any of his followers because i still like him... im just making the points that he hasnt finished fights which in a spectator sport is vital to stay in the limelight, hence which is y we are having this discussion, plus i just dont think he has the power to ko the bigger guys.....

now if im completly wrong here and gsp ko's silva in d first round il eat my hat hahahaha....

"VERY close to finishing kos".....isnt finishing a fight

True, but "can't finish" and "didn't finish" are 2 different things also.
    "didnt finish Hardy was because Hardy was never gonna tap!".....thats like saying i couldnt knock em out cause he didnt av a glass jaw!

Not in the least! The vast VAST majority of submissions happen because a fighter knows he's in danger of going to sleep or having something broken and they tap. Hardy was in some very bad situations which 8 or 9 out of 10 fighters would've tapped to.

But part of the point here is, it's not as if he wasn't TRYING to finish. He was trying!

the fact of the matter here is, the guy is without doubt the No.1 in the world. These contenders come up, beating everyone in their way and don't even come close to GSP.

for instance, GSP didn't finish Jon Fitch right? do you think he should be criticised for this?

Jon Fitch has beaten EVERYONE he's ever gotten into the octagon with, if you exclude GSP. And Fitch has never looked in trouble in any fight either. He's elite. Yet GSP made him look very ordinary! I don't think GSP should be criticised for not finishing Fitch.... or anyone he fights in fairness.

Whenever GSP gets into the Octagon, he's fighting the mort elite fighters in the world.

If you have a guy like Bisping who is fighting cans and doesn't finish them, they maybe THAT'S warrented! But to criticise GSP for completely dominating but not finishing all of the elite fighters in the world, it's ridiculous in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

GSP can finish those guys. He said it after the Koscheck fight he leaves nothing to chance.

That Hardy fight was hillarious. He had a full arm bar locked in and was twisting Hardys wrist back and forth and just looked confused that Hardy wasn't tapping.

It's hard to call but the fact is we don't know how GSP will adapt to the jump and we know how amazing Silva is.

Oh and for those saying Vitor is gonna beat Silva, can't see it at all I'm afraid. Maybe when Vitor was abit younger and faster his striking would trouble him. In saying that I'd like to see Vitor at the very least give Silva a tough fight. Who knows, I'm gonna throw a few bob on Silva though so it's win win for me even though the odds are brutal.

Has Vitor slowed down all that much? I'm not so sure!

And there's no reason why age would not be on Vitor's side as regards to quickness, he's still only 33 (with Anderson being 35).

it just seems he's much older because he's been around so so long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Yeah, personally I don't think you should get any points for just being on top in guard/half guard, only for volume of strikes and damage done. And a lot more emphasis should be put on improving position.

And the more I think about, Silva is a smart guy too, he would have took note of what Sonnen did to him and I'm sure if he knows he's going to fight GSP he will have done a lot of work on his takedown defense. I think its going to be a nightmare to call this one:D

Why not? Gotta work hard to get top position and keep it, if you're on the bottom u need to be sweeping or submitting or getting up, if you cant get up then its a credit to the guy on top, unless hes just totally stalling then in that case the ref should do his job and stand them up. To be fair you cant not give points for control, thats a part of the game

Tones69 wrote: »
    Why not? Gotta work hard to get top position and keep it, if you're on the bottom u need to be sweeping or submitting or getting up, if you cant get up then its a credit to the guy on top, unless hes just totally stalling then in that case the ref should do his job and stand them up. To be fair you cant not give points for control, thats a part of the game

Well first I don't think MMA should become about pinning your opponent, effort to finish the fight should take priority. That's why I said volume of strikes is where you should get the points. And while like you say it does take skill to keep a guy down, in the other rules sets that do allow pins, the guard does not usually count as a pin due to the amount of control the person on the bottom has over the person in their guard.

I really like Vitor's chances, especially if the unmotivated Silva shows up. I think Vitor just has enough power to make one punch count

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Both of these guys could be coming off a loss for all i care. I still want to see them fight.

Fedor is still as dangerous as he was 12 months ago. Only he has been submitted in that time.

Just would lose the UFC some marketing and build up if they we're coming off wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Would Sonnen be a bigger favourite over GSP than Silva?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Would Sonnen be a bigger favourite over GSP than Silva?

The draw towards the GSP v Silva fight is due to the vast contrast in styles of 2 fighters who are dominating their divisions.

GSP definately has a better skill set than Sonnen but I wouldn't find the appeal for Georges to fight a former LHW who is a lot bigger and may be able to win due to his size and wrestling. If it was at 170 lbs, which is impossible for Sonnen, than he wouldn't have a hope against GSP.

Either way I don't think Sonnen should be mentioned in such a circumstance as anything he has recognisably done at the top level has been surrounded by controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

and who is dis frank trigg guy he finished?????? never heard of em lololol
    I almost stopped listening after that, I definitely stopped after the "lololol"
    Go watch Matt Hughes - Frank Trigg 1 and 2..
    TheProdigy wrote: »
    Either way I don't think Sonnen should be mentioned in such a circumstance as anything he has recognisably done at the top level has been surrounded by controversy.

Bit of an outlandish comment really, thats like saying everything Josh Barnett, Ken Shamrock, Shane Carwin, etc. shouldn't be mentioned as they've all been involved in steroids.

I guess Lance Armstrong shouldn't be mentioned in top cyclists since his testosterone tests were revealed :rolleyes:

Anyways, great video about the GSP - Hardy fight here

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Bit of an outlandish comment really, thats like saying everything Josh Barnett, Ken Shamrock, Shane Carwin, etc. shouldn't be mentioned as they've all been involved in steroids.

I guess Lance Armstrong shouldn't be mentioned in top cyclists since his testosterone tests were revealed :rolleyes:

I knew you would be responding to that at some time, we have previously identified in other threads that your rose tinted glasses for Mr. Sonnen are hampering your opinion on the facts. :rolleyes:

Whatever his medical condition he still had 4 times, iirc, the approved amount of testosterone in his body. I don't see why he couldn't inject himself with the required amount to bring him up to speed with the normal amount of testosterone in the average persons body, 4 times over the limit is controversial to say the least. Can you justify why he had 4 times the required limit in his system?

And I don't have any time or admiration for the above mentioned athletes either. Just because PED's are becoming more evident it shouldn't mean it is more acceptable or the fans should be less critical, its cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I can see this fight letting everybody down and being one big bore.

Both fighters will play it so careful i can see nothing but a borefest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Give me Belfort,Silva over GSP,Silva any day,way better fight

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

I knew you would be responding to that at some time, we have previously identified in other threads that your rose tinted glasses for Mr. Sonnen are hampering your opinion on the facts. :rolleyes:

Whatever his medical condition he still had 4 times, iirc, the approved amount of testosterone in his body. I don't see why he couldn't inject himself with the required amount to bring him up to speed with the normal amount of testosterone in the average persons body, 4 times over the limit is controversial to say the least. Can you justify why he had 4 times the required limit in his system?

And I don't have any time or admiration for the above mentioned athletes either. Just because PED's are becoming more evident it shouldn't mean it is more acceptable or the fans should be less critical, its cheating.

I knew it was a trap :pac:

Sure, he was over the limit, but then you have to take away everyone's achievements if they've ever tested positive. Nate Marquardt, Shane Carwin's been linked to steroids, Lance Armstrong's amazingly high testosterone level.
    I'm just saying that most of Sonnen's work was his own doing, sure, the steroids had some part to play, but not half as much as everyone makes out they did.

And your last point is completely true, PEDs are a form of cheating and should be clamped down on. Anyways, enough about "The Most Interesting Man In The World" :rolleyes:

GSP would demolish Silva imo, Silva's always had trouble with wrestlers and GSP wouldn't be foolish enough to get caught in a last round triangle choke, or try and stand with Anderson, he'd take him down and keep him there for the 5 rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Would be one hell of an interesting fight! As good as GSP's wrestling is I still think Anderson is just too big for GSP!

I imagine it would be a standup fight for a lot of it. GSP really showed some serious boxing versus Koscheck but Koscheck is probably an easier opponent than Anderson Silva by a long shot.

I would love to see Anderson Silva batter the **** out of GSP. I like GSP, but Silva is so fun to watch (when he's not flopping around mocking people).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I am not convinced both Silva and GSP will win their next fights.

I am not convinced both Silva and GSP will win their next fights.

I think GSP will considering how badly Shields tired in his last fight but that depends on how he handles the cut this time, could be a great grappling match if Shields doesn't gas early. GSP is streets ahead of him in the stand up aswell though.

Belfort and Silva is going to be a cracker imo, either one could win it at anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyreman1
    and who is dis frank trigg guy he finished?????? never heard of em lololol
    I almost stopped listening after that, I definitely stopped after the "lololol"
    Go watch Matt Hughes - Frank Trigg 1 and 2..

Pretty sure this was meant as a joke, very serious this MMA forum lololol!

I think Sonnen showed how to beat Silva take him down and ground and pound. Im not a big fan of either, GSP is too nice and Silva, well is just to ignorant to speak english for whatever reason, his english was fine when speaking to Rachel Leah when they had the half hour show about him in Brazil....
    But then again id make the effort there to!

Anyways not their biggest fans but GSP's jits is way above Sonnens so i see him taking him down and keeping him there or just a lot of feints and circling and really boring with both afraid to commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

but then you have to take away everyone's achievements if they've ever tested positive.

its not really any achievement if you are on drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think GSP will considering how badly Shields tired in his last fight but that depends on how he handles the cut this time,

The cut this time isn't going to be as big, his previous fight was at 185 i think (he fought 175 but not immediately previous)

Advertisement