Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Body Fat % of UFC fighters

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

_oveless wrote: »
    What about the scales that are supposed to measure body fat? How far would they be off?

Useless AFAIK.

Most accurate is a displacement pod I think.

Calipers would have at least a 2-4% error margin.

Mellor wrote: »
    DEXA scan > Callipers > Electronic scales/meter etc

DEXA scan? Measuring bone density?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ush1 wrote: »
    DEXA scan? Measuring bone density?:(
    Lol.
    failed attempt at being clever

friendly advice, maybe actually be sure what you are talking about before you try to be smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Only time I've heard of a DEXA scan being used is for bone density test for people with osteoporosis. Is there another type or is used to measure body fat density.

Lol.
    failed attempt at being clever

friendly advice, maybe actually be sure what you are talking about before you try to be smart

I wasn't trying to be clever.

I'm as sure as a layman can be to be honest. Got a DEXA scan done roughly 6 months ago and it was explained and shown to be that it is for measuring bone density.

• Advertisement

Only time I've heard of a DEXA scan being used is for bone density test for people with osteoporosis. Is there another type or is used to measure body fat density.

Can be done for many reasons. I got it done as I was on steroids and you can take a reference point to see if your bone density is being effected over time.

It's same scan, the data is just added and subtracted differently, i'll post a sample below
    I'm as sure as a layman can be to be honest. Got a DEXA scan done roughly 6 months ago and it was explained and shown to be that it is for measuring bone density.

Well, you sounded like you were trying to be smart, as in "lol, dexa is for bone not fat"
    Apologies if you weren't

I just found it surprising that you heard of the bod-pod/hydrostatic displacement testing, and knew of the accuracy of calipers and were unaware of DEXA for body fat. Even more surprised now that you say had one done. (do you still have results)
    I first heard for it shortly after I first heard of calipers/skin fold, on the fitness forum I think

Dexa is common method for bone density, true, as there are few other options. But it also totals lean tissue absorption, which is ignored when bone density is being studied. But if you know lean mass, bone mass and total mass, working out fat mass is simple.

In terms of accuracy Dexa is up there with hydrostatic displacement, which is very very high. One good feature of DEXA is that it is able to break down figures by area (arms, legs, body, head etc)

Here's a sample DEXA scan that has to explanatory notes on how to read it and what the various figures are. I have no idea if yours looks similar, but maybe dig it out and see if you can calculate lean/fat mass.

So people actually get DEXA exams to measure their body fat %? I'm not sure who would do that, professional athletes/bodybuilders/models/curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Is there anything you can get to give you a completely accurate reading of body fat?

The man says DEXA scan or hydrostatic displacement test.

• Advertisement

So people actually get DEXA exams to measure their body fat %? I'm not sure who would do that, professional athletes/bodybuilders/models/curious?
    Anybody that wants to know their bf% really, athletes, body builders, or even overweight people who want a reference point for the start of a weight loss plan. The same people who'd get skin fold testing done.
    The link I posted previously was a from a service that does just that dexa specificly aimed are people looking to know (and improve) their body comp. It's quite common, a lot of sports science labs would have dexa, bod pods for that purpose.

Quite a few on the fitness forum have done it afaik.
    Calipers is more portable, and accessable so its more common for gauging progress month to month.

I was looking into getting bf% measured before xmas, my gym doesn't offer it. From an afternoon searching the net, a dexa scan was cheaper and quicker than a guy doing calipers near me (although imo, he was expensive as there were other things grouped in with his service, as opposed to dexa being cheap).
    Is there anything you can get to give you a completely accurate reading of body fat?
    As mentioned, Dexa or bod pod are the most accurate.
    But, accuracy isn't a huge deal at the same time. It's good to know for piece of mind, but calipers are accurate enough, if the figures are coming down every few months, then you are losing fat. Some people like to use one of the more accurate methods as a once off to get a value. Then monitor the rest with simpler means.

UCD Institute for Sport & Health offer both

Well, you sounded like you were trying to be smart, as in "lol, dexa is for bone not fat"
    Apologies if you weren't

I just found it surprising that you heard of the bod-pod/hydrostatic displacement testing, and knew of the accuracy of calipers and were unaware of DEXA for body fat. Even more surprised now that you say had one done. (do you still have results)
    I first heard for it shortly after I first heard of calipers/skin fold, on the fitness forum I think

Dexa is common method for bone density, true, as there are few other options. But it also totals lean tissue absorption, which is ignored when bone density is being studied. But if you know lean mass, bone mass and total mass, working out fat mass is simple.

In terms of accuracy Dexa is up there with hydrostatic displacement, which is very very high. One good feature of DEXA is that it is able to break down figures by area (arms, legs, body, head etc)

Here's a sample DEXA scan that has to explanatory notes on how to read it and what the various figures are. I have no idea if yours looks similar, but maybe dig it out and see if you can calculate lean/fat mass.

No I genuinely didn't know DEXA could be used for that. That's interesting though. I'll see if I can root out my results. Cheers.

No I genuinely didn't know DEXA could be used for that. That's interesting though. I'll see if I can root out my results. Cheers.
    Semi-inspired by this thread, I've booked a Dexa for this friday
    (its not that I care so much that the test needs to be hyper-accurate, I just couldn't find a calipers test for cheaper)

The guy is going to explain the test results too, so Ush, if you want me to try explain any different numbers or letter I can try (as they might not list them off clearly)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

Phil "Mr Wonderful" Davis comes to mind.

14_PhilDavisUFC117w.jpeg

phil-davis.jpg

He's basically a big triangle that fella

mr-strong.jpg

Advertisement