Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lighthouses in a Storm

• 19-07-2020 4:18pm

I read in the Sunday Times that there’s a campaign group trying to “scuttle proposals” (neat turn of phrase by the ST, there) to replace the existing beams with LED light. Apparently, the Fresnel lenses - remember back to that sleepy physics classroom? - which rotate on mercury, can weigh up to six tonnes!

There’s all sorts of comments about the “loom of the light”, which seemingly can’t be “recreated by an LED”, and lose of the casting of the “distinctive atmospheric light”, and the overall proposal being “akin to vandalism”.

Surely to heavens, we are not anchored to the old ways of keeping ships from running aground? With the many other (arguably more pressing) issues facing us, could we not just get on and replace the bulbs with LED ones, exactly as we do at home and at work? FFS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭Allinall

I read in the Sunday Times that there’s a campaign group trying to “scuttle proposals” (neat turn of phrase by the ST, there) to replace the existing beams with LED light. Apparently, the Fresnel lenses - remember back to that sleepy physics classroom? - which rotate on mercury, can weigh up to six tonnes!

There’s all sorts of comments about the “loom of the light”, which seemingly can’t be “recreated by an LED”, and lose of the casting of the “distinctive atmospheric light”, and the overall proposal being “akin to vandalism”.

Surely to heavens, we are not anchored to the old ways of keeping ships from running aground? With the many other (arguably more pressing) issues facing us, could we not just get on and replace the bulbs with LED ones, exactly as we do at home and at work? FFS!

Why replace them if the current set up is working fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Allinall wrote: »

They did it in Scotland already.
    She said that the main reason the decision was taken to switch to LED was to save energy.

Because they are rugged, robust and shock‐resistant with no mechanical moving parts, they also require less frequent servicing.

Other benefits include the fact that LEDs can be grouped together to substantially reduce the probability of total lamp failure.

https://www.maritimejournal.com/news101/navaids/scottish-lighthouse-upgraded-to-led-lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Everything went downhill when they got rid of the fog horns, they added a haunting beauty to the aural landscape of the coast and always made a landlubber spare a thought for those in peril on the sea.

Everything went downhill when they got rid of the fog horns, they added a haunting beauty to the aural landscape of the coast and always made a landlubber spare a thought for those in peril on the sea.

Agreed. But not if we were in 1925, without LORAN, radar, not to mention GPS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

Oisín and Chantelle didnt spend over 800k on a holiday home by the sea to listen to fog horns, nor sentiments of the petty locals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Phased out in 2011 even though they didn't keep people awake.

Not unless they were within 30 Km.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The two main purposes of a lighthouse are to serve as a navigational aid and to warn boats of dangerous areas...land, rocks, wrecks, banks, etc....

If there is a more efficient and cost effective way to light them, go for it. As long as the light is as effective in its task.

The money saved gets put back into the public coffers and can be utilized in other ways.

Why should we have to put up with some starry eyed gombeen lighthouse-sexual obsessive who would like some big old school bulb beaming away at a high price to the public when technology will allow an equal or better aid to navigation but costing less money, less public money.

I remember the fog horn in Dun Laoghaire. Living in a dingy, rented basement of a freezing cold house in the middle of winter, reading in bed with a jumper on, hearing the foghorn down at the East Pier that meant sleep. It was the closest I'll ever come to living in an episode of Porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I haven't seen foghorn leghorn in years. Whatever happened to him?

C4F0ED58-C4F8-4407-833E-B6C74B59839D.jpeg

1. Advertisement
    2. Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Allinall wrote: »
      Lower operational costs.
      Ships' fog horns still are required. There were some lowing a few weeks ago in Dublin Bay. What a sound!

3. Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Agreed. But not if we were in 1925, without LORAN, radar, not to mention GPS!
      I get that but they were as much a part of the landscape as the Poolbeg chimneys and it was a sad day for me when they fell silent for the last time.

4. Registered Users Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Who the fück hangs around lighthouses at night to gawp at the lights on them?

5. Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

One of the surprising things about lighthouses is that you don’t actually have to hang around them to see the light.

6. Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I thought stamp collecting was a bit weird but... “ hi I’m Fergal, I’m a lighthouse observer, god, isn’t that a big bright shiny one “

7. Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CIL have been doing the LED conversion programme for years. It's just that someone's moaning now that it got attention

The Bailey in Howth was done years ago. Some decent case studies on the power and maintenance savings online. It still has a resident keeper, but its one person living in a normal house adjacent with all normal stuff automated; rather than a team of staff and lots of manual labour

8. Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

9. Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

the way people are going on about fog horns you would think they were sounding 24/7 . in reality they might be going 4 or 5 times a year , we actually don't get fog that often in this country

10. Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

At least us landlubbers still have the shipping forecast.

11. Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

If only light could travel away from its source in a straight line.

Oh well ...

12. Advertisement
    13. Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

L1011 wrote: »
      CIL have been doing the LED conversion programme for years. It's just that someone's moaning now that it got attention

The Bailey in Howth was done years ago. Some decent case studies on the power and maintenance savings online. It still has a resident keeper, but its one person living in a normal house adjacent with all normal stuff automated; rather than a team of staff and lots of manual labour

I believe the Fastnet lighthouse has also been fitted with an LED light on top of the tower (rather than inside the tower).

14. Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I remember the fog horn in Dun Laoghaire. Living in a dingy, rented basement of a freezing cold house in the middle of winter, reading in bed with a jumper on, hearing the foghorn down at the East Pier that meant sleep. It was the closest I'll ever come to living in an episode of Porridge.

My mam lives in Raheny, I could hear it there, been wondering why I haven't heard it in years ...

15. Registered Users Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Same sort of dopes who bemoan there aren't lighthouse keepers posted on remote lighthouses away from families for weeks at a time anymore.

16. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

L1011 wrote: »
      It still has a resident keeper, but its one person living in a normal house adjacent with all normal stuff automated; rather than a team of staff and lots of manual labour

My dream job right there.

17. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Same sort of dopes who bemoan there aren't lighthouse keepers posted on remote lighthouses away from families for weeks at a time anymore.

I'm one of those dopes. Partly because I'd love to be away from the family for weeks at a time.

18. Registered Users Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm one of those dopes. Partly because I'd love to be away from the family for weeks at a time.

Good for you.

19. Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My dream job right there.

The Bailey is physically on Howth Head; not out at sea and I'm pretty sure the attendant lives there with his wife!

Was in the lighthouse for work a few years ago; they've got sort of a mini museum of old kit there, and a boardroom that's used occasionally more for ceremonial purposes than anything else. Not open to the public unfortunately.

20. Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

21. Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There has been a legal dispute over all those old cartoons for years now about who owns the rights, Laurel and Hardy too. That's why they don't get shown on the telly anymore.

22. Advertisement
    23. Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If there are no lighthouse keepers no more then the place must surely be overrun with Fraggles.

Advertisement