Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Hey, I was looking at doing a course that I thought was funded by Springboard last year but it was actually funded by the Government July Stimulus Provision. Just wondering whether that stimulus will come up again this year or was it a once off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Choice is not great.

Subject areas have narrowed.

Isn't this year the first year of the new EU budget? Did they lose the EU funding for it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Daniel112

Looks like search doesn't work for some of the colleges. CIT which is now known as Munster Technological University (excel is accurate) is still listed as CIT on the search page which returns no results :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Any idea what documents will be needed to register?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

It looks like the courses are listed now. When you click on Search Courses on the site, it shows "Download SB 2021 Course List" option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Has anyone completed any of the data analytics courses - would be interested to get opinions on which college you went to and course contents?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Proferoxa

It varies, but generally they ask for any/all of the following: your CV, transcript of results from any previous third-level qualification you may have, an academic or professional reference or two, proof of identification, and a letter of motivation. Also, proof of receipt of a social welfare payment if you're unemployed.

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Any idea what documents will be needed to register?

It varies, but generally they ask for some/all of the following: your CV, transcript of results from any previous third-level qualification you may have, an academic or professional reference or two, proof of identification, and a letter of motivation. Also, proof of receipt of a social welfare payment if you're unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Blizzard wrote: »
    It looks like the courses are listed now. When you click on Search Courses on the site, it shows "Download SB 2021 Course List" option.
    Lots of what on the list is not shown on springboard website?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

zom wrote: »
    Lots of what on the list is not shown on springboard website?

I noticed that too. 'Certificate in Health Project Management' is on the xls but doesn't return from a search

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    I noticed that too. 'Certificate in Health Project Management' is on the xls but doesn't return from a search

This year's courses won't be available using the search function until tomorrow when applications open. For some reason they still have last year's courses on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Choice is not great.

Subject areas have narrowed.

I might do a post Grad Cert springboard course or look into doing an online part time course

You are so right, much wider choice available last year.
    Its disappointing. I was also hoping to do similar to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

You are so right, much wider choice available last year.
    Its disappointing. I was also hoping to do similar to yourself.

Not all the courses are up yet, Sligo IT aren't there for example.

I did a post graduate certificate in Biopharmaceutical Processing with Sligo IT/NIBRT this year, a lot more work than I thought but got results today, 80% so happy with that!
    Can do another year via springboard and get a list graduate diploma but time to enjoy life for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

The course I was hoping to do didn't get funding this year, i know in previous years extra funding has been made available and new courses have been released with January start dates, hard to know whether to risk holding out or look to do a different course

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

I did a level 8 last year on my own and graduated last summer. Does the past year count as a year when applying for a level 9 through springboard?

onlinenerd wrote: »
    I did a level 8 last year on my own and graduated last summer. Does the past year count as a year when applying for a level 9 through springboard?

Was your level 8 a part time course?

I see Springboard are specific in stating you need a break of a year having completed a level 8 FULL TIME course

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Still no sign of applications being open to IT Sligo courses.

2021/22 courses are gone live for applications now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Still no sign of applications being open to IT Sligo courses.

same here, checked in the afternoon and they're up. One PM course I'm interested in but see it's not open to people in employment....

dinneenp wrote: »
    same here, checked in the afternoon and they're up. One PM course I'm interested in but see it's not open to people in employment....

Did you check the course details or are you just going by what it says under the course title? A lot of courses say they're not open to people in employment but when you read the application procedure it turns out they actually are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Any idea if more courses will be added to springboard website later? I see at least one missing that was on excel sheets?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I am in full time employment, but would like to do a course here, would I be eligible to any?

Springboard have a note up their Facebook page saying they have rectified the issue of courses not being available to employed people

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Does anybody know how long it takes to hear about the outcome of your application?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Does anybody know how long it takes to hear about the outcome of your application?

It depends from college to college. One you accept a course, all of your other applications are marked as cancelled. There tends to be deadlines from the colleges to accepting a course. You could potentially be holding out for your number 1 choice and not get offered it... Meanwhile you've delayed accepting other offers only for them to expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Are they any good digital marketing courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

py wrote: »
    It depends from college to college. One you accept a course, all of your other applications are marked as cancelled. There tends to be deadlines from the colleges to accepting a course. You could potentially be holding out for your number 1 choice and not get offered it... Meanwhile you've delayed accepting other offers only for them to expire.

Exactly this, the delay between courses/decisions. I was hoping and waiting on one last year in Sligo IT and the date to accept another who made an offer to me was coming up so for the risk of losing both I accepted one in AIT and was graded last week with a very pleasant grade.

Then the next course(BSc) wasn't funded by Springboard+ this year so I couldn't progress(I could If I found €2,350 obviously which I can't and won't). Today I applied for a total of 5 in various colleges/universities and all have various decision dates, heck some might just not consider me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I am in full time employment, but would like to do a course here, would I be eligible to any?

Your eligible to them all, but obviously working full time - won’t be able to do one full time course, lots of part time options though. If employed, springboard will cover 90% of the cost, you need to pay the remaining 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Be careful with sligo, last year they had ones advertised finishing in may that finished in December.

Waste of time fluff courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

Can anyone explain the ECTS credits? Like a level 9 course but some have 45 credits, some have 60 and 90 credits.
    Can you combine the credits of different courses to get a masters?
    Thanks

Advertisement