Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The two are the same. i.e. Any UFO (intelligent lifeform, in craft, making it's way here) would be 'god like' by default, with their superior knowledge and capabilities.

Animal mutilations are ongoing and significant, and something likely experienced by every sizable country on the planet. Many forces have special quick reaction sections, designated for the inspection, removal, and news supression of such incidents.

A simple cow with 4 stomachs, and ability to turn simple grass into milk, proteins and methane, might be of special interest to visitors.

Exactly, and methane can be quite useful.

It's odd that it's happening to cow's alright and you're spot on about the way cow's prcoess methane and milk.

I still remember those craft's making headlines, some people suggested that they were stealth fighters.

Although stealth fighters as far as I know can't hover and manoeuvre like that triangular space ship on the old arcade game called mad planet's.

Thant was one description a guy told me, in his west Limerick accent he said it was like something out of mad planet's, triangular and defied gravity...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭yaknowski

Marco Rubio would prefer extraterrestrials to the Russians/Chinese anyway...

"We have things flying over our military bases and places where we are conducting military exercises and we don’t know what it is — and it isn’t ours,” Rubio said.

“Frankly, that if it’s something from outside this planet — that might actually be better than the fact that we’ve seen some technological leap on behalf of the Chinese or the Russians or some other adversary that allows them to conduct this activity."

Couple of articles in the last few hours saying the Pentagon U.F.O Unit will make some findings public.

Supposedly Fox news have a clip on YouTube about more disclosure coming soon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RTBc6gOq97Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It’s not really disclosure, just another circle jerk from To the Stars Academy and their enablers.

Wouldn’t expect much from them anyway.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/MickWest/status/1287038977690578944

Ipso wrote: »
    It’s not really disclosure, just another circle jerk from To the Stars Academy and their enablers.

Wouldn’t expect much from them anyway.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/MickWest/status/1287038977690578944

What's a circle jerk ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

UFO = UFO

nthclare wrote: »
    What's a circle jerk ?

Circle ****/mutual back slapping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

There’s supposed to be a big announcement coming in the New York Times this week about the US government being in possession of material/wreckage from a UFO. We’ll wait and see.

Any update on this?

Circle ****/mutual back slapping

I know what you mean now, thankfully I don't get into those circles lol or squares for that matter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Maybe it's been posted already - interesting podcast ...

He had Bob Lazar on before ...

I see it as entertainment, great entertainment- the only thing that has floored me is that footage from the FLIR system on those US fighter jets from 2004 ... I cannot see another explanation, I would love to see it debunked...

I can’t be debunked this stuff is real but the human mind doesn’t want to accept that we’re not the only ones in the density of the whole universe. Ppl need to have an alien knock on their door and show them ID to depend believe them. The more we accept it the easier it’ll be to learn more and be fascinated about the whole universe.

Tyr

I can’t be debunked this stuff is real but the human mind doesn’t want to accept that we’re not the only ones in the density of the whole universe. Ppl need to have an alien knock on their door and show them ID to depend believe them. The more we accept it the easier it’ll be to learn more and be fascinated about the whole universe.

The idea that because someone doesn't believe the UFO industrial complex about dodgy sightings that they don't believe in life elsewhere is ridiculous.

The idea that because someone doesn't believe the UFO industrial complex about dodgy sightings that they don't believe in life elsewhere is ridiculous.

Who said the UFO industrial complex about dodgy sightings?

Who said the UFO industrial complex about dodgy sightings?

People making these extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence, we need an alien saying hello to prove that life from elsewhere is visiting earth.

People making these extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence, we need an alien saying hello to prove that life from elsewhere is visiting earth.

Not everyone obviously. There’ll be ppl that’ll never believe it until they see one in front of them was my point. You went off on one there.

Not everyone obviously. There’ll be ppl that’ll never believe it until they see one in front of them was my point. You went off on one there.

I may have done. I took your comment to mean that people who don’t believe what the people from the UFO industry (that’s what it is) tell them somehow automatically don’t/can’t accept that there is life elsewhere in the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

We do indeed but let's not pretend things have changed in recent years. We've moved beyond civilians saying that they have observed UFOs to trained airforce pilots describing vehicles accelerating faster than anything anything known is capable of.

The New York Times featured an article detailing an encounter between Cmdr. David Fravor and Lt. Cmdr. Jim Slaight with what they describe as an Object That ‘Accelerated Like Nothing I’ve Ever Seen’. He also details the fact that it actively jammed their radar (as opposed to passively like stealth bombers). That in itself is technically an act of war. It travelled 40 miles in a minute or in other words approximately 2.400 miles per hour. They also had video footage of it. This doesn't mean it's aliens of course but there's evidence of unknown objects with capabilities far exceeding anything we have on earth.
    Commander Fravor began a circular descent to get a closer look, but as he got nearer the object began ascending toward him. It was almost as if it were coming to meet him halfway, he said.

Commander Fravor abandoned his slow circular descent and headed straight for the object.

But then the object peeled away. “It accelerated like nothing I’ve ever seen,” he said in the interview. He was, he said, “pretty weirded out.”

The two fighter jets then conferred with the operations officer on the Princeton and were told to head to a rendezvous point 60 miles away, called the cap point, in aviation parlance.

They were en route and closing in when the Princeton radioed again. Radar had again picked up the strange aircraft.

“Sir, you won’t believe it,” the radio operator said, “but that thing is at your cap point.”

“We were at least 40 miles away, and in less than a minute this thing was already at our cap point,” Commander Fravor, who has since retired from the Navy, said in the interview.

By the time the two fighter jets arrived at the rendezvous point, the object had disappeared.

The fighter jets returned to the Nimitz, where everyone on the ship had learned of Commander Fravor’s encounter and was making fun of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think a lot of people not in the scientific community would be surprised at how a lot of scientists view amateur sceptics. The starting position in any investigation into the unknown is we don't know. The people who say aliens aren't being scientific but then again neither are sceptics who always try to explain the unexplained with something even more fantastical. For example there's sceptics who state that the airforce pilot mistook the sighting mentioned in my last post for a seagull. That's all levels of ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Phishnet wrote: »
    William, E, Byrd, a US Naval pilot stated over the airwaves that he discovered aliens in Antarctica. When he returned to the good auld USA (instead of being committed to a lunatic asylum or dishonourably discharged) he was immediately conveyed to the US President. His career took off and he received numerous awards and accolades from no less than three US presidents. Retired a Rear Admiral. Amazing no one has claimed territorial rights over Antarctica.

Hmmmmmm

Link for that? Wikipedia says nothing about him claiming he discovered aliens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Mother and I saw s UFO approx 30 years in Westmeath. It was in behind trees in a forest and we were standing 500 yards up on a road. You could see its outline as it was lit up with different coloured lights on its perimeter. Three other cars pulled in. We were all fit to collapse in shock. I can see it in my mind......Jim, Medical Professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I certainly believe we’re not the only form of life in the universe- it’s just too vast for that to be the case.

However what type of life forms might be out there is impossible to say.

In terms of UFOs I have always believed that a lot of the sightings can be explained by military aircraft not immediately recognisable to a lay person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So I've read about a few. I do think that the majority of sightings are similar to the sightings of moving and crying statues of mary in Ireland in the 80s, economic depression and abuse of alcohol being a factor, location in the midlands of the USA also being a factor. Many other sightings are probably secret classes of aircraft operated by the USA (which explains the seemingly high number of sightings there). There are a number of sightings however backed up by multiple independent, sober, mentally and financially stable individuals that just require a bit more explanation particularly those seen by experienced pilots who spot objects they know to be too fast, too quiet or too changeable in direction to be a bird or an aircraft that could possibly be built with current technology.

The US don’t release these things to help the ppl there’s always an agenda behind them all. If they did want to destroy the world they would have already or maybe they can’t stay here long enough with travel portals or something but we are definitely not the only life form, these UFO’s could well be us but at a more advanced stage down the line, look at the technology from 1970 to 2020 it’s like an entirely different planet so give that 1,000 years ahead. Logically speaking time travel is very doable if we can get to the moon others can get to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

humans from the future is an interesting explanation. Although how would it explain abductions and probing (admittedly the more bonkers end of sightings) presumably humans from the future would know everything there is to know about human biology, if they were so advanced they wouldn't even need to travel to the past to study it. Unless future human society is full of groups that wish to change the past for their own gain unknown to the powers that be. It's all quite the mystery.

If sightings of these objects are indeed aliens spying on us covertly, they're not very good at being discreet given the alleged number of sightings. Then of course intra-alien politics could be also a factor, maybe their governments don't allow them to visit primitive societies but they do so secretly as amatures to satisfy their curiosity. Sort of like cos-play or other minority interests outside the norm we have in our culture, I mean some humans play cricket for jaysis sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Butson

I think its either humans from the future, or parrallell universe that sometimes overlaps with our own.

If you read the Skinwalker Ranch book by George Knapp, a regular event that would happen with the couple that lived there was basically seeing a hole in the sky appear to open up. They would see a UFO / Orb fly in an out of this but also loads of UFOs whizzing around within this hole - literally looking into another world.

As humans, our perception of reality might be only a small component of overall reality.

Butson wrote: »
    I think its either humans from the future, or parrallell universe that sometimes overlaps with our own.

If you read the Skinwalker Ranch book by George Knapp, a regular event that would happen with the couple that lived there was basically seeing a hole in the sky appear to open up. They would see a UFO / Orb fly in an out of this but also loads of UFOs whizzing around within this hole - literally looking into another world.

As humans, our perception of reality might be only a small component of overall reality.

That would explain why they suddenly disappear maybe they only have a certain amount of time before the portal closes and they keep coming back trying to work out our technologies and trying to stay for longer, it’s like our ppl only being able to spend so much time in outer space, these Aliens could of seen them in space and followed them down here to or seen them enter The Earths atmosphere. So many questions eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

if you shrink our sun to the size of a hydrogen atom including its electron
    the nearest star would be 3 mm away
    the milky way galaxy would be as along a football field
    the visible universe would be the size of the earth plus a third more
    the actual universe estimated would be about the size of Uranus

so think of our sun being the same as a hydrogen atom on uranus
    the chances of the sun, and this planet and us being found by anyone is 0
    so if aliens ARE here - they must have put us here .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

the chances of the sun, and this planet and us being found by anyone is 0
    so if aliens ARE here - they must have put us here .
    This assumes our simple human capabilities, applied upon all/any others.

We can already observe exoplanet Kepler-452b (discovered 5yrs ago) orbiting the Sun-like star Kepler-452, which is about 1,402 light-years from Earth.

This is thought to be a super-Earth with many active volcanoes due to its higher mass and density. Even with it's greenhouses gasses, the estimated mass of 5 M⊕, might allow it to hold on to any water-based oceans. This could allow any potential life on the surface to inhabit the planet for another 500–900 million years before the habitable zone is pushed out of Kepler-452b's orbit.

It wasn't that long ago most though the earth was flat (some still do) and that the sun orbited it. Today potential habital planets are being discovered all the time, the only sticky issue is that of transport logistics.

Advertisement