Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Architects.... what should they do for you??

• 21-03-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Thanks for the help with the basement ideas. Its almost finished.

I am just wondering. I've hired an Architect to supervise the building of my house. The house was already designed. So all I needed off them at the start was construction drawings to get quotes etc.

He has been on site making sure that i understood everything thats happening. So far he has been great.

I am just wondering what you can ask him. I want to make sure the house has a very good energy rating, so everything thats needed to make that happen i have to find out, is he the person to ask? Can you just keep firing the questions and expect answers from him?? Also, about bathroom layouts etc, cause i am pouring the ground floors and need to have all that thought out.

Also, the 2nd story layout, I've ideas but I am not sure if the layout will work. Do they have software to size beds in rooms to make sure your not making a balls of it. Would this be inc in his price??

I just feel that there annoyed at being asked such basic questions... After all I am paying close to 7k for his services.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

uniform yes to all questions posted here uncle . all part of the service . you seem to be indicating a mixed message - on the one hand you say the service is "great" on the other you seem afraid to "annoy" him - have on open talk with the guy - you are expecting only a normal architecural service from what you have posted here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

He who pays the piper calls the tune. :)

He seems reasonable and you can be sure he has heard the questions before. As sinnerboy said, have a chat with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Cheers guys.

Yeah he is fine with anything I've asked about so far. But there all just general build questions or planning issues etc.

I've asked about adding a room and about heating systems and other small issues. Just not sure where they draw then line.

I just get that, god don't be asking me these stupid questions vibes. Hence the post.

I see them mixed message bit. Sorry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

suggest you write a polite but direct letter or e mail to your architect

don't entertian "vibes"

you sound like a nice guy ... no need to be too nice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Maybe post in PI that you are too shy to ask questions about something you are paying good money for.

I'm not putting you down here at all but Im a little surprised at the thread. You say you want advice but in a roundabout way you are looking for encouragement.

As smashey said you are paying the guy so you are entitled to ask all the questions you want. Don't worry I'm sure he wont bite.

• Advertisement

OK,

I am not looking to be encouraged. Its a simple fact of what the role of an Architect is in a house build. What areas you can ask him about before having to go to a 3rd party for the information. Thats all. Its not every year someone builds a house and deals with this profession.

So from the post above I guess I'll just ask away. Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

OK,

I am not looking to be encouraged. Its a simple fact of what the role of an Architect is in a house build. What areas you can ask him about before having to go to a 3rd party for the information. Thats all. Its not every year someone builds a house and deals with this profession.

So from the post above I guess I'll just ask away. Cheers guys.
    As others have said ask him all the questions you want. If there is anything or any aspect of the project that you are unsure of and you need clarification then Im sure he wont mind answering your questions.

But on the other hand he may not want you coming along and asking things like "is that the right type of screw nail for that hinge"

muffler wrote: »
    As others have said ask him all the questions you want. If there is anything or any aspect of the project that you are unsure of and you need clarification then Im sure he wont mind answering your questions.

But on the other hand he may not want you coming along and asking things like "is that the right type of screw nail for that hinge"

:D

Yeah, think that'll push him.

I took a piece of advise of my bro when he built his own house. He went mental at the builder and architect over some issue with the house. After that everything was just horrible and I am a firm believer just to make sure you keep them on your side. Happy worker is a good worker and all that.

Cheers.

Advertisement