Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*** Match Thread*** Tue Mar 5th BEN2 9pm FB Monks

• 30-04-2015 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Second game, tough opponents

Al - in
    Calvin - in
    Cathal -
    Ciaran
    Cillian - in
    Craig - in
    Damo - in
    Dave - out
    Derek - in
    Ed - in
    Jack - out
    Keith - in
    Ken - in
    Kieran - in
    Mark - in
    Reece
    Sam - out
    SteK
    SteMcd - in
    Adam (CH/CM)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

In

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭SteMcD1

in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Al - in
    Calvin - in
    Cathal - in
    Ciaran
    Cillian - in
    Craig - in
    Damo - in
    Dave - out
    Derek - in
    Ed - in
    Jack - out
    Keith - in
    Ken - in
    Kieran - in
    Mark - in
    Reece
    Sam - out
    SteK
    SteMcd - in
    Adam (CH/CM)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

In

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

smashing goal by Cal to set us up.

They played well at times but so did we, they probably edge the clear cut chances but we had a lot of ball around the edge of the box but they were defensively pretty solid.

Need to listen to the keeper/CH or whoever is calling out defensive assignments at set pieces.

2 weeks, should be on 6 points but on 2.

Need to be disciplined next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

While it's sickening to concede literally with the last header of the game, overall a draw is a fair result, they created some really decent chances and it had been coming.

Pity we didn't score a second which would have sealed it as we defended well apart from one lapse right at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Another disheartening result caused by switching off at the back but I think other areas need to be addressed

Fitness: some of the lads out there looked lethargic and gassed throughout the match if you were tired you should be signalling to des for a breather rolling subs is an advantage if we have the bodies. The tracking back wasn't sufficient leaving us exposed a lot. We don't do training so it's upto yourselves to maintain at least some standard of fitness

Holding on to the ball: again some lads were doing this in The wrong positions and we were gettin caught because of it, I showed down the wings a number of times and im not saying pass every time but a lot of the time I was in very good positions

Passing: passing at times was decent however on these surfaces particular attention should be given to the weight of the pass there was a fair amount of unnecessary overplayed passes. Also some of the passing out the back was very risky and we nearly got caught a few times im in favour of playing it out from the back but not when the receiving player doesn't know the play is on or is already being closed down.

Calling for the ball: I mean this is something that's happening that's not happened before, lads are making the call and then not going in for it or making the call when theyv no chance of making it to the ball it puts off players who actually can get to the ball.

Putting the foot in and being first to the ball: that's two games now and are gettin killed in the middle because we've not been doing it. Fair enough if it's not part of your game but it's really disheartening seeing it at least it is for me.

I'm not trying to be disparaging to the team and definitely not to any individual but these are issues I feel need to be brought up to be worked on

We are a good team better than the two draws we've got still like 19 games left so plenty of wiggle room to get this right
    On the plus side the talking and general encouragement and constructive critiscm was good tonight nobody went ape**** or got on anyone's back excessively
    I'm using me phone so don't mind the oddly placed capitals etc
    Also if anyone feels like I'm angling towards them (which im not) pm me don't start a big war here

Great goal cal :) and another solid yellow murtagh haha
    Also welcome to the team adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

While it's sickening to concede literally with the last header of the game, overall a draw is a fair result, they created some really decent chances and it had been coming.

Pity we didn't score a second which would have sealed it as we defended well apart from one lapse right at the end.

You're right, we did defend well and we had a lot of it to do. Centre backs had things under control for the most part. And when they did get a few shots away, you saved well.

That last minute goal was a kick in the teeth. Ref had his whistle in his mouth and was about to blow but clearly decided to let them take their corner.

We're not where we want to be right now but we've a couple of players coming back that will really flesh out the squad and get us going again I think.

If there's one thing I'd say it's that we're a little guilty of not putting enough passes together in the opposition half, especially on a big pitch like Benildus where there's plenty of room to do it. It is important that we trust each other with the ball. Sometimes you'll pass to someone and the move might break down but that's not a reason to stop making those passes. Only by continuing to make them will they start working for us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mrDerek wrote: »

Calling for the ball: I mean this is something that's happening that's not happened before, lads are making the call and then not going in for it or making the call when theyv no chance of making it to the ball it puts off players who actually can get to the ball

Also if anyone feels like I'm angling towards them (which im not) pm me don't start a big war here
    :pac:

yeah this was me a couple of times, just misjudging the speed and spin on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

Its important to keep doing what were doing well. Being pissed of at drawing against two decent teams is a good sign in itself. Derek mentioned the calling for the ball when marked or in a bad position. This needs to stop. All it takes is a wee look over the shoulder.

Positives, we moved the ball fast and hit ste and derek well. Plus the defense were excellent. Second half the support was slow getting to them at times but thats just fitness, derek had to do it by hinself too often second half. We had the chances to kill the game remember aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

:pac:

yeah this was me a couple of times, just misjudging the speed and spin on the ball.

I didnt see any of that. You done well from where I was. Just one more thing just to reinforce derek again, we need to stick the boot in, stand your ground and go in hard.

The 4 best teams in this league are big physical teams, we can't be the shrinking violets

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I can only apologise for my level of fitness. It'll get there as the weeks go on.

It was a shame about the last minute goal, but something like that is easy to fix.

I enjoyed the game anyway and look forward to the rest of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I thought it was a solid performance (I had to leave with 5 minutes to go), but it was a very even game. I didn't think it was an Alamo all out panic in defence that has happened when in the lead in the last couple of seasons. They didn't look like scoring much.

Again as last week, there were excellent tackles in midfield, winning the ball and breaking with pace. It seems very effective in the two opening games, it got at least two goals last week as well.

There were some sliced/mis-hit clearances at the back, but I was impressed overall. Good to see some 'professional' yellows on strikers around the edge of the box.

Advertisement