Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

bluewolf wrote: »
    Why would put chips in the bin :(

Maybe he was full, :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Was he also stingy for not sharing them, if he knew he would not eat them all ?

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Was he also stingy for not sharing them, if he knew he would not eat them all ?

Haha no it happened once and ya man ate them, so they continued it on to see would he go for them every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Haha no it happened once and ya man ate them, so they continued it on to see would he go for them every time

Confirming that your brother is stingey.

Confirming that your brother is stingey.

No he is a bo***x , the same guy who used to wait for free food came home one evening delighted , he had went into a phone box and found a burger, came home and heated it up, he also used to buy a bag of potatoes and count them out 3-4 each day for a week, haha imagine living with that, some crack watching him,

• Advertisement

No he is a bo***x

Your brother?

Your brother?

I get The feeling your slightly slow. :D

I get The feeling your slightly slow. :D

? I said 'confirming that your brother is stingey', then you said, 'no, he is a bollix'. So 'he' would refer to your brother here...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

FFS lads the last 9 (now 10) posts are OT. Can we get back to stinge stories please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Mate looking for a lift to a nearby town today. I offered him a bus schedule after he insisted that there were no buses that direction. Eventually he sponged a lift off some other mug.

The same guy met for a drink other night. Just sat at the table not buying a thing. Guess waiting for me to get him something but my own mug days are over.

Not before their time either

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr Boom Boom

Mate looking for a lift to a nearby town today. I offered him a bus schedule after he insisted that there were no buses that direction. Eventually he sponged a lift off some other mug.

The same guy met for a drink other night. Just sat at the table not buying a thing. Guess waiting for me to get him something but my own mug days are over.

Not before their time either

Apt username is apt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Apt username is apt

You forgot to say boom boom

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

My friend mentions a guy she knows who is always particularly scabby, she told me of a night a few couples went for dinner. At the end of the meal when paying the bill each person threw in the divided amount and a couple extra € coins along with it for tips. As everyone were stood up and leaving the table, this lad scoops up the tray, pockets the cash and mutters 'oh I'll pay with my card' only my friend heard him. She stood close by while he was paying and noted he didn't give a tip using his card to pay.

Same guy called over on her birthday with cake, which is a lovely generous gesture. Anyway he shard it out with the two other people then as he was leaving sheepishly picked up the remaining cake and says 'I'll just take the rest of this cake home'

Personally I would have pulled him up at the meal but my friend said she was just baffled someone could do that. Then as for the cake, it was nice of him to bring it but it just seems strange to take the rest home. A bit embarrassing for him really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Four of us went for a pint one Saturday afternoon.
    I bought the first round.
    My brother bought the second round.
    One of the other lads bought the third round.
    Then when I went to the toilet and came back, the fourth had bought only 3 pints.
    One each for himself and the other two lads. When I asked where my pint was he simply answered "I didn't get you one".
    I asked him of he was going to get me one and he said no!
    I had to buy my own pint!!
    That was about 8 years ago and he's still as stingy today as he was back then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

the same guy who used to wait for free food came home one evening delighted , he had went into a phone box and found a burger, came home and heated it up

I can't stop laughing at this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This is reverse stinge, or maybe its stinge by myself and the buddy

A few years ago, while in college in Limerick in a house share, there was another guy there who was ALWAYS whinging about how broke he was and so on.

Anyway, it came to pancake Tuesday. We said we were making soem pancakes and anyone who wanted to chip in for the eggs and flour etc could. Your man said he couldn't afford it but he didn't want any anyway.

So we made the pancakes and your man came staright into the kitchen looking to be fed. We reminded him that he opted out earlier so go away.

He came back in a while later offering us £2 for a pancake.

We gladly accepted.

Think he bought 3 off us. Sure that paid for all the eggs etc.

The fact he was a dick helped in accepting his offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Knew a lad in college who was known to head to chipper with a group of people,would never buy proper meal,maybe just chips,everyone would head back,eat while watchin a film or whatever,when everyone had finished meals and plates were cold etc yer man would methodically pick thru the scraps on EVERYONE'S plates!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

My Canadian friend came to visit last year. She brought me a sea shell and a book that I had sent her previously as gifts! First day, in a local coffee shop, she told me to pay for my own coffee. She stayed with us for 10 days, got all her meals, tea/coffee free. She's normally a vegetarian/healthy eater, but ate everything on offer, including McDs and 'chipper' food, standing back while we paid.
    We collected her from/dropped her at the airport, she even commented on how expensive 'gas' was here. Her whole Irish experience cost her no more than €10. Yes, we should have said something..we didn't, but when she mentions visiting again, we are moving to Chile.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JDM Jack

My brother rents a house with 3 others and 1 of them has to be one of the tightest people I know with money. He never buys anything for the house, even if it's something he needs himself. He regularly steals toilet paper from other peoples rooms for his, leaving them in some very ****ty situations... One time he even used my brothers lecture notepad, took out some blank pages and used them until someone else bought more toilet paper!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

A Canadian friend was in Europe in summer 2006 traveling around mainly Germany for the world cup. He knew a few of us in Dublin and came over without telling us and I got a call out of the blue.

Anyway after mentioning it to my mother (was living at home at the time while I was in college) she offered to let him stay for a while. Free board, free meals, my mother even did his washing for him. He stayed about 4 weeks and then stayed at another guys place for another 4 weeks, kicked him out as I was going back to college.

When he left my mother said to him that all she wanted was a Christmas card. Nothing arrived and we were so disappointed - me especially for bringing him into the house in the first place.

He did the same to my friend's family. No present, no thank you letter, just a month of sponging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was down in Tipperary at a family do a few years ago. The following day my uncle asked Me and my OH and kids to go for lunch with him before we went back to Sligo. He was drinking a glass of milk with the grub. Halfway through the meal he scoffed his glass and then refilled it from the jug on the table. By the time we were finished he had emptied 3 jugs from 3 vacant tables. After he paid for the meal and we went outside, I tackled him about it.

He justified it with this: 'I was here last week and every time I bought my daughter a glass (1/2 pint), I was charged for 3/4 of a pint. Fu*k the miserable c*nt that runs the place. '

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭unaoz

I had an old boss in a busy dublin bar and restaurant. ..once I saw him lightly dab his mouth after his dinner....then place the napkin back in the dispenser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

falan wrote: »
    Kinda reminds me of a friend of mine who supposedly got a LOT of money from an accident but has never said a word about it which is cool...But just to go on and on and on about how they have no money to pay the bills or barely enough to eat, while at the same time buying very expensive collectors items, new car, house done up, laptops, 2 xboxes in one day, you name it, they got it..
    The final straw for me was when he asked me to drive a 60 mile round trip to buy a hoover. At the time i was only working part time so i genuinely had hardly any money trying to keep a car on the road and pay rent. I asked him for something towards petrol and he said no cos he was broke. (Might i add that i never ask for petrol but that week i was skint)...

Got to the electric shop and he bought the most expensive hoover in there for 500 euro. He opened his wallet and it was packed with 50s, must have been a few grand in there at least...
    Needless to say he never got a lift off me anywhere again, id always have an excuse and we're not really friends anymore....

Get a new friend. There are actually nice people out there. That guy is a richard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

I switch off the grill when I'm turning the sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Wailin wrote: »
    I switch off the grill when I'm turning the sausages.

you should also turn off the lights when you blink, could get yourself some serious savings

An ex-friend of mine who I posted about in the old thread called around to my house the other day. Haven't spoke to him in a number of months a d last time it was nothing more than a quick hello when I saw him in the pub. He showed up at my door unannounced at around 11 am and from his help you'd swear we were best of friends.

Not wanting to be a dick and curious as to what exactly he wanted I told him to come in. I had hoped that he'd finally realised what a dick he'd been to myself and a number of others and wanted to say sorry. Offered him a cup of tea and started chatting about what we were up to in life. He spoke about how tough times were and how he was putting all his money into a play he wanted to stage. Informed me that it "was spectacular and numerous play writes had called it exceptional" having read his past work I knew that he was lieing as his work is generally a rip off of a dozen really famous works. He asked me if I was interested in donating some money to help get the pay up and running, "anything, even a fiver would be appreciate". Told him I wasn't interested and he made that face kids do when told they can't have something.

He tried to give me a poorly done pitch about why it was an investment but all I wanted was for him to leave. I told him that I had to shower and get ready as I'd plans and he suggested he make himself a sandwich while I went to shower. A polite but firm "no" put that to an end and I hurried him out of the house. As he was leaving he asked where all the stuff he'd left was and could he collect it. I reminded him that he'd asked that before a few months back and I got rid of all his stuff. "Oh I know, I mean my other stuff".

I asked what stuff he meant and his answer made my week. "I left food in the fridge". I was a bit taken aback and asked what food. He looked at me and with a straight face said "a jar of mayonnaise, cheese slices, some sausages and pasta sauce. If its bit there and you used it you can pay me back. It's only fair". I assumed he was joking but after about 30 seconds of him explaining how legally it was his property and he was entitled to it I realised that he was serious and fully expected to be given his food back.

I honestly had no idea if I should laugh or cry though his angry demands for his property back has me in stitches. He kept repeating, "my food or the money". He just stood there repeating it so I told him to hang on and went into my room and emptied a few dozen 1cent coins from the bottle I have full of them. Went back to him and showed him the money asking was it enough. He said it would have to do and as he did i flung them into the air before closing the door on him. For almost 2 hours he was on his hands and knees searching through the grass for every last cent he could find. It was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen and when I told a few mutual friends they told me that his "begging" was a weekly occurance and the night before he'd told a friend that they owed him a can if Dutch Gold as he'd left two half cans at theirs on two seperate occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

That reads as really desperate to me rather than stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Addle wrote: »
    That reads as really desperate to me rather than stingy.
    More pathetic than desperate. Who demands a refund on mayonnaise, cheese, sausages and pasta sauce months after they have moved out? We can all fall on hard times but if you want help from a friend, it's better to be diplomatic and ask for help, rather than act like a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

kinkygirl wrote: »
    My Canadian friend came to visit last year. She brought me a sea shell and a book that I had sent her previously as gifts! First day, in a local coffee shop, she told me to pay for my own coffee. She stayed with us for 10 days, got all her meals, tea/coffee free. She's normally a vegetarian/healthy eater, but ate everything on offer, including McDs and 'chipper' food, standing back while we paid.
    We collected her from/dropped her at the airport, she even commented on how expensive 'gas' was here. Her whole Irish experience cost her no more than €10. Yes, we should have said something..we didn't, but when she mentions visiting again, we are moving to Chile.

Canadians full stop. Loonies &Toonies. Was heading to the airport in Vancouver at an irish bar & dropped all my change to the bar maid as a tip. She took all the high value coins & then had a go at me for insulting her by also putting in the coppers & handed them back to me. Prescious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭ronjo

res ipsa wrote: »
    Canadians full stop. Loonies &Toonies. Was heading to the airport in Vancouver at an irish bar & dropped all my change to the bar maid as a tip. She took all the high value coins & then had a go at me for insulting her by also putting in the coppers & handed them back to me. Prescious.

What a cow. You should have asked for it all back then.

Advertisement