Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Serialised television. No more having to wait a week to find out what happens next. Entire series dropped at the same time. Instant gratification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

My wife's friends 13 year old daughter doesn't know how to turn on an oven or butter bread. I do blame the (single) mother but I fear there is a generation coming up that don't have basic skills in self sufficiency. They are more concerned with men having periods (which is mental illness)

Washing machines are a mystery to me, could put it together if it was in bits in front of me but couldn't wash my socks properly in it, no issues with ovens or other kitchen appliances but can't get the hang of a washing machine

ollaetta wrote: »
    The cars most kids are ferried around in nowadays are more like the Starship Enterprise than what was the norm not too many years ago. They wouldn't have a clue about how power steering and electric windows were extras and we had to do with very basic radios a million miles from "infotainment" systems. God I feel old.

Electric windows have been around for a long time, old 70s Renault 18 had them, power steering was an extra for years, very few paid for it so that's why you have cars up to mid to late 90s with no PAS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Edgware wrote: »
    F Troop, The High Chapparal, The Saint, The Virginian

They're old TV shows not movies.

A bidet with matching sanitary ware in avocado

I know a few houses with an avocado bathroom still, there's a brown shade as well, 1970s really were colour blind

• Advertisement

Washing machines are a mystery to me, could put it together if it was in bits in front of me but couldn't wash my socks properly in it, no issues with ovens or other kitchen appliances but can't get the hang of a washing machine

The one setting deos 99% plus of stuff,

Its like something,who's control panel was designed by a committee

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

If you've no issues washing your socks in an oven, or kitchen blender, why the hell can't you wash them in a washing machine like the rest of us? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hearing by word of mouth or stumbling across a ruin or cool spot that hasn't been instagrammed to death or spoiled by visitors.

Walking through a derelict site without a rent a cop roaring at you.

vriesmays wrote: »

That's 60s, The Sweeney and The Professionals with a bit of Dempsey and Makepeace thrown in for good measure, plots are paper thin, dialogue is wooden but fistfights and car chases guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

1) being told to go outside and play because the pipe is gone

2) losing 20p on the blasted payphones where you were only supposed to drop in the coin once the call was answered.

3) made a reverse charge phonecall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Electric windows have been around for a long time, old 70s Renault 18 had them,

Yeah, but, ones that work... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,403 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's strange that pre Covid they weren't sacrificing school ski trips to northern Italy for the good of the planet.

True, nor their phones or tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

There is a generation that has not grown up with.

Smoke filled cinemas.
    Smoke filled busses..
    Smoke filled pubs...
    Smoke filled trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

vriesmays wrote: »

Your point is???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭PGE1970

10p when you returned your coke bottles.

Cream soda.

Star bars.

Sam Spudz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

PGE1970 wrote: »
    10p when you returned your coke bottles.

Cream soda.

Star bars.

Sam Spudz.

The crinckle ridge crisp. The smokey bacon was to die for. I didn't know you couldn't get stzr bars anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

The "good" room for visitors & "the stations" only

The sacred heart lamp in every house

Bin bags & white sheets for Halloween customs

Birthday parties were tk lemonade, rice crispy buns and jelly & ice cream

Being given a £1 for the treat and buying half the sweet shop with it, - frosties, Dan bar, ghosties, small mineral and the rest in penny sweets

Summer evenings where robbing apples and playing hide & seek between hay stack was the highlight of the summer

Having a pre agreed meeting place to go to if you got lost city centre

The excitement of the annual Christmas parcels from America from aunts who immigrated

Italia 90 and how it lifted the country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

My 11 year old daughter bakes twice a week, completely independently. She looks up the recipe herself, goes down to the shop herself to buy any ingredients we don’t have with her own money, uses the mixer and oven herself. Our dishwasher is currently broken, and yesterday she washed everything up by herself after. The stuff she bakes is genuinely delicious, and there’s a few recipes she knows totally off by heart now, so she can bake perfect shortbread cookies and fairy cakes without looking up the recipe at all. But just as my example isn’t typical of the entire current generation of tweens, yours isn’t too.

Fair play to her. My 11 year old can kill, pluck and clean out a chicken! Essential life skill!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I love change.
    Mine experienced some of the things mentioned and 'missed out' on some others.
    They're none the worse for missing sone stuff. I wish I had:)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Using a film camera, getting the film developed and putting the photos in a real album.
    I'd say very few people nowadays bother getting their digital photos developed or putting them in an old style album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Raichu wrote: »
    Sure look she’s a kid still. She might not be able to use an oven, but there’s adults just over twice her age who can’t use most modern technology effortlessly. These are skills she‘ll learn in time. My brother didn’t figure out how an oven works till the day before he left to college at 18.

I'm sorry she won't learn in time and when she is pretending she's learning she'll really be wondering what's happening on fb or Instagram or some other social media platform.... Unfortunately social media rears our children now,.and we can't stop it.
    Doomed I tell yaa DOOOOOMMMMED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

1) being told to go outside and play because the pipe is gonel

I'm in my 30s and have no idea what this means?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm considerably older and am none the wiser. The telly, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Cable TV used to be referred to as piped TV. TV antennas were known as aerials (still common enough) and the radio was often called the wireless.

Waiting for RTE2 to start in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Closedown, the test card and that monotone whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Closedown, the test card and that monotone whine.

Your mam telling you it's time for bed. :)

The Soviet Union.

Apartheid and the boycotts.

Emigration being final, ie the last time you could reasonably expect to see the person who was leaving for several years, if indeed you ever saw them again at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

It's strange that pre Covid they weren't sacrificing school ski trips to northern Italy for the good of the planet.

Aviation accounts for 2% of emmisions, quite the lazy stereotype you've got there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Potatoes for dinner every day without question.
    Foreign foods with funny names were avoided.
    There is still a remnant throwback to this in hospital meals, where "chicken curry with rice" may include a big wallop of mash, but just a spoonful of rice.

I consider it old people food.

Advertisement