Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is everyone allowed to express their opinion on Boards without bias from Mods?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

free thinking is encouraged, always has been on here. Absolute free speech is not allowed though, do you know why?

From an impartial viewpoint, your use of "do you know why" matches the "needlessly confrontational and condescending towards anybody who disagrees with you" explanation for that other lads warning. Though I don't condone either of you being warned or banned as both would be pathetic reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

From an impartial viewpoint, your use of "do you know why" matches the "needlessly confrontational and condescending towards anybody who disagrees with you" explanation for that other lads warning. Though I don't condone either of you being warned or banned as both would be pathetic reasons.

no, I'm genuinely asking do they know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Your opinions are not "shot down", your opinions are questioned, when questioned you have difficulty answering. If you can't answer you ignore the questions and go off on a tangent, people Continue to ask you the question that you avoided/refused to answer and this seems to make you think you are being ganged up on.

Seen it many times before and will.see it many times again, same format from so many posters.

There is a difference in giving an opinion and realising the people communicating with you are all liberal thinkers who attack and insult as a way of shutting down opinion.
    I choose not to engage with you and your little buddies because you are not capable of an adult discussion without attacking attacking attacking attacking....more gang members join in....attack attack attack....you all report the thread then....a MOD who agrees with you all bans the thread.. it's a win win situation for you. Well done!

Don2012 wrote: »
    There is a difference in giving an opinion and realising the people communicating with you are all liberal thinkers who attack and insult as a way of shutting down opinion.
    I choose not to engage with you and your little buddies because you are not capable of an adult discussion without attacking attacking attacking attacking....more gang members join in....attack attack attack....you all report the thread then....a MoD who agrees with you all bans.. it's a win wins situation for you.

Oh the irony :pac:

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

It was either you, or one of your other mods friends who have been banning and warning me since I voiced an opinion yesterday. Odd that you choose to ignore your fighting buddy.

And this is exactly representative of how you have been posting across the site over the past couple of days.

You make a claim:
    I watched as you gave me a warning, saying I "upset" other users

Someone doesn't disagree with your claim, but asks you to substantiate it somewhat.
    mike_ie wrote: »
    Can you please provide a link to the warning saying you "upset" other users?

Then:
    *tumbleweed*

Followed by more deflection and a tangental rant at the poster who asked you to support your claim.
    It was either you, or one of your other mods friends who have been banning and warning me since I voiced an opinion yesterday. Odd that you choose to ignore your fighting buddy.

Now you may not like it, but if you continue to engage with the forum in that way, then you will be actioned for it. Not because of your opinion, but because you refuse to engage in a minimum standard of discussion required by the forum, and I would argue, in the real world in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Well to be honest, you would say that if you disagree with my opinion. I am not "right-wing" btw. Can I not voice my opinion without being attacked and insulted by some sort of left-leaning gang?

Unfortunately there is a cohort of users (generally not mods of the forums in question, but some are mods in other forums) who will use all the tricks in the book to shut down discussion and opinion that isn’t on point.

Goading you into insulting them so they can report your post(s) and get you thread banned or carded. Some willing to ‘take the hit’ themselves by engaging in tit for tat insults to stop the discussion they don’t like.

Or skirting the rules around trolling or link dumping or bad faith posting in the hope you don’t know the rules as well as they do etc.

Taking a thread off topic / spamming with rubbish so it gets moved to a low traffic forum or closed altogether etc.

A recent trick was the ‘this site makes Stormfront look good’ posts, it seems to have died out now thankfully.

Lots of tricks in their toolbox.

Not every left leaning poster but enough to be a problem.

Amazing, so many make the same claim as you yet not one is ever able to show the proof, and always use the same excuse as you :rolleyes:

We’re not allowed show proof. That’s part of the problem. Very odd you can’t see that.

You would say that wouldn't you. From what I've seen, if a person doesn't have the same opinion as the "left-leaning gang" and mods, they are warned and banned. What a joke, free speech doesn't exist on this forum unless you agree with the narrative.

as someone who spends a fair bit of his boards time banging up against the lefties, this is rubbish

i dont always agree with mod action/inaction but i see as many people from either side of a given debate actioned, and in pretty much all cases it's their inability to engage in reasonable ways that is the common denominator

• Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We’re not allowed show proof. That’s part of the problem. Very odd you can’t see that.

What proof are you not allowed to show :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Proof would imply the case would be open and shut with just that evidence. If there is proof then by all means show it.

What you probably mean is evidence which may or may not lead to proof.

• Advertisement

That's just a cop out excuse

Proof would imply the case would be open and shut with just that evidence. If there is proof then by all means show it.

What you probably mean is evidence which may or may not lead to proof.

And then get the Boards runaround (TM).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And then get the Boards runaround (TM).

For proof you implied you have? Why can’t you show it?

This seems to be the runaround that mike_ie describes from users: make unsupported claim, get asked to support claim, *tumbleweed*, get asked again, “everyone’s out to get me,” etc.

Overheal wrote: »
    For proof you implied you have? Why can’t you show it?

This seems to be the runaround that mike_ie describes from users: make unsupported claim, get asked to support claim, *tumbleweed*, get asked again, “everyone’s out to get me,” etc.

Honestly

If I had proof of any moderator acting in such a way I would have a feedback thread open and be posting my proof for all to see, if the site was as they say it is i wouldnt want to be on here so would have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

You would say that wouldn't you. From what I've seen, if a person doesn't have the same opinion as the "left-leaning gang" and mods, they are warned and banned. What a joke, free speech doesn't exist on this forum unless you agree with the narrative.

Then you need to look outside one thread. Boards is full of "right leaning" posters who make many posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Odhinn

You might explain what you mean by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Odhinn wrote: »
    You might explain what you mean by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

CA leans very much to the right. Fiscal conservativism, cutting social welfare, anti-immigrant and anti-traveller views are expressed frequently.

The idea that this site is only for left-wing liberals is patently false.

Well to be honest, you would say that if you disagree with my opinion. I am not "right-wing" btw. Can I not voice my opinion without being attacked and insulted by some sort of left-leaning gang?

You've literally told posters to get out of your threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Unfortunately there is a cohort of users (generally not mods of the forums in question, but some are mods in other forums) who will use all the tricks in the book to shut down discussion and opinion that isn’t on point.

Goading you into insulting them so they can report your post(s) and get you thread banned or carded. Some willing to ‘take the hit’ themselves by engaging in tit for tat insults to stop the discussion they don’t like.

Or skirting the rules around trolling or link dumping or bad faith posting in the hope you don’t know the rules as well as they do etc.

Taking a thread off topic / spamming with rubbish so it gets moved to a low traffic forum or closed altogether etc.

A recent trick was the ‘this site makes Stormfront look good’ posts, it seems to have died out now thankfully.

Lots of tricks in their toolbox.

Not every left leaning poster but enough to be a problem.

Agree with all of this.

There is definitely anti government mod bias in the current affairs forum.

5 or 6 posters who get away with everything but report others and get them banned.

One of them is an ex mod who had to stop because there blatantly political bias was evident on every thread.

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    CA leans very much to the right. Fiscal conservativism, cutting social welfare, anti-immigrant and anti-traveller views are expressed frequently.

The idea that this site is only for left-wing liberals is patently false.

I disagree, from what I've seen, most seem to be left leaning liberals, some MODS included. I know now that this forum is not the place to go to for unbiased and fair discussions, it's actually worse than Twitter!!

You've literally told posters to get out of your threads...

Yes, because I have been insulted and attacked for my opinions. Some sort of gang is on here, they are like voltures that pick on anyone who disagrees with their opinion, Mods always side with them.

Yes, because I have been insulted and attacked for my opinions. Some sort of gang is on here, they are like voltures that pick on anyone who disagrees with their opinion, Mods always side with them.
    It seems distinctly like you're happy to attack posters if they criticise your claims...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I disagree, from what I've seen, most seem to be left leaning liberals, some MODS included. I know now that this forum is not the place to go to for unbiased and fair discussions, it's actually worse than Twitter!!

Yes, its shocking. Its a dangerous swamp of lefties and liberals. You might be safer back on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This is a discussion forum. That seems your biggest issue. This isnt twitter or a personal blog where you can just ramble.

When people decide to engage with you they expect a sane response. Not a meme or just doubling down repeating your original point not explaining/participating in discussion.

It seems distinctly like you're happy to attack posters if they criticise your claims...

I only attack if I'm insulted and mocked, wouldn't you??

pjohnson wrote: »
    This is a discussion forum. That seems your biggest issue. This isnt twitter or a personal blog where you can just ramble.

When people decide to engage with you they expect a sane response. Not a meme or just doubling down repeating your original point not explaining/participating in discussion.

What I'm seeing here is some kind of liberal gang, who wait to pounce on the next person who disagrees with their viewpoint.
    Yes, engaging with me is fine but what I'm getting is mocking, belittling, attacking, insulting and laughed at and I'm expected to say nothing from these libtards??

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, its shocking. Its a dangerous swamp of lefties and liberals. You might be safer back on twitter.

So might you then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What I'm seeing here is some kind of liberal gang, who wait to pounce on the next person who disagrees with their viewpoint.
    Yes, engaging with me is fine but what I'm getting is mocking, belittling, attacking, insulting and laughed at and I'm expected to say nothing from these libtards??

Yeah that really shows your discussion skills off well Don.

• Advertisement

Oh dear, you reap what you sow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement