Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandfather's Watch / Watches Given By Workplaces

• 04-04-2019 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

My Grandfather's watch
    fmD0k31.jpg

1982 Tissot Seastar Quartz.
    Took pictures of the movement when getting the battery replaced.
    I think the movement might have been replaced as i remember him leaving it in to get work done in a jewelers that used to be in Blanchardstown Village.

ultx1f7.jpg
    wEqNJKx.jpg

Included a pen from Unidare Cables from another interest, Pen Collecting:D.

PnIk9gM.jpg

Given to him after 25 years working for Unidare Cables in Finglas. He worked there from 1957 to 1995.
    I believe it originally came with a black leather strap,

b9bgWTj.jpg

found a stainless steel model with day/date on a nice bracelet design.

fdlz1qG.jpg

Interesting the difference between the box over the years as I taught it would be the other way around, now you even get a book about the history of Tissot:rolleyes:.

t5OwHnt.jpg
    musjfM0.jpg

I remember him telling me that the watches were changed to Seiko after and always wondered what model it was if they did. I would be very keen if anyone knows of anyone who worked in Unidare who may know more about other watches (if any) that were given out and if possible post pictures.

The second part is about watches given by Workplaces after a certain length of time or as a retirement gift. I don't think that it is done today.

Remembered this video I watched a while back and gave me some inspiration.

Good story of the son keeping his grandfather's Watch and getting it fixed to give to his dad.

Wondering does anyone on here have examples that they would like to share and any stories to go with it as I understand it might be too personal to post.

I have played with the idea of replacing the bracelet with a strap something similar to this
    twdnYi9.jpg
    and wearing it from time to time as I'm not a fan of the bracelet and the strap might tone down the gold a bit :p

I don't think I would be able to as I would be terrified if something happened to it and was never able to rotate out between watches. Also apart from replacing the battery I would like to keep it the way is.

Do people on here think it is a good idea to wear the watch or keep it safe in the box, anyone here wear a watch that was passed down?, would be interested to hear.

While i have the camera out i might as well include his other 2 watches.
    1qAkWpV.jpg

(Not a massive fan of gold watches :o:P)
    Thanks,

Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

My Grandfather's watch
    SNIP

That's just class, the watch is in such good condition! I don't think it's do that much now. But it's is something they really should bring back my bother got a beautiful Seiko ladies watch bask in the early 80s for ten years with the company she's still with today. It's still in its box and working perfect. I post a picture of it up on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Sorry for bumping this Thread,just wanted to share this

While looking through my Grandfathers stuff i found a picture i had been looking for and wanted to include in this Thread.

ONGIyU7.jpg

(On the left : I believe his name to be Alan Dukes presenting the watch to my Grandfather on the Right)

Saturday 22-1-1983 after 25 years working in Unidare Cables,he receives a Tissot Seastar Quartz at a presentation and had great night out afterwards :cool: .

He loved the watch,only wearing it on special occasions/ Holidays.I looked up to him and always admired the watch and the bond we had with it.It is also to blame for getting me into this crazy interest of watches :P

QESkui8.jpg

Another photo taken for the newsletter of him working on the cables

SnBbFql.jpg

Again sorry for bumping this and hope its okay to include these photos.

Also found this and wanted to add it

HOPxvEl.jpg

ddRldas.jpg

A page from the Evening Herald from September 13th 1966,a photo of a match in the Phoenix Park of the Unidare football team my Grandfather played on

64Xh2os.jpg

(Second player from the left)

FTA6F2X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sarahmarianne

Hi,

Thanks for your post about Unidare ans your Grandfather's watch.

Our grandfather's would likely have known eachother. Mine worked there from the 50's until 1985 or so and was given a watch also :)

Has your grandfather passed away? I'm looking for people who would have known my grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I can see how someone would identify the guy presenting your grand-father with the watch as Alan Dukes (politician) but while there are some similarities it's not him. Dukes was an agricultural economist before going into politics. Probably some Unidare executive.

Hi,

Thanks for your post about Unidare ans your Grandfather's watch.

Our grandfather's would likely have known eachother. Mine worked there from the 50's until 1985 or so and was given a watch also :)

Has your grandfather passed away? I'm looking for people who would have known my grandfather.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! would be very interested if you could post a picture of the watch. Unfortunately he passed away in 2012, would be happy to share more information, might be best through PM.

I can see how someone would identify the guy presenting your grand-father with the watch as Alan Dukes (politician) but while there are some similarities it's not him. Dukes was an agricultural economist before going into politics. Probably some Unidare executive.

Thanks for the information, wasn't sure myself.

• Advertisement

Another great source of information on Unidare is Finglas Memories Facebook page [Link]

An aerial view of Unidare

kXRSUw2.jpg

My Grandmother who passed away in 2001 also worked at Unidare ,picture taken in 1959 shown here on the right

Yoh6grY.jpg

Another picture I believe taken the same day, My Grandfather on the left, my Grandmother along with the same girl pictured above on the right

gsaTW5Y.jpg

Managed to find another picture of the Unidare football team taken in 1965, my Grandfather is third player from the left top row

gBQ65vM.jpg

Keeping it relevant to watches, my Grandmothers Pulsar

Dswx2RP.jpg

zHGbzcr.jpg

9XCHhav.jpg

e5qius1.jpg

cxNTwTM.jpg

Advertisement