Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-10-2020, 20:01   #1516
Pete_Cavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geuze View Post
I see Nurnberg opened a metro extension.

1.1km plus a station for 69m, seems good value.

Does anybody know was it bored tunnel or cut-and-cover?

Our costs seem higher?
Extending an existing service would cost a lot less than building a whole new system. We need to set up all new computer systems plus it being driverless, new control centre, new depot, full new fleet of rolling stock, etc.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-10-2020, 11:04   #1517
riddlinrussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieSituation View Post
Our Greens aren't real Greens.
I take that personally, the greens aren't a monolithic entity, I certainly think there is a proportion of them that mean well but are so divorced from either reality or the lives of the working class that they come up with awful plans, The science at the time said CO2 bad, and Diesel particulates = Less bad, Electric cars were nowhere near as mature as today, and yes it wasn't a very well thought out policy, (I wasn't in the greens back then).

The greens of 10 years ago are different to today, and I expect will become considerably different in the coming years, they have seen a nearly tenfold increase in their membership since the last time they were in government, most in the last 3 years, so I would expect a bit of a change over the next few years.

I think we would have seen a lot of change this year if some of the more left members had waited until after the leadership election and convention to leave the party, a good few things didn't pass by a bare few votes...

Sorry for the tangent, I would say one common criticism of the Irish greens is they are actually overly focused on infrastructure over other environmental aspects, so I would count this government as a true failure of the greens if it didn't at least deliver on that one key aspect in cycling and rail.
(4) thanks from:
23-10-2020, 14:20   #1518
Sam Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlinrussell View Post
I take that personally, the greens aren't a monolithic entity, I certainly think there is a proportion of them that mean well but are so divorced from either reality or the lives of the working class that they come up with awful plans, The science at the time said CO2 bad, and Diesel particulates = Less bad, Electric cars were nowhere near as mature as today, and yes it wasn't a very well thought out policy, (I wasn't in the greens back then).

The greens of 10 years ago are different to today, and I expect will become considerably different in the coming years, they have seen a nearly tenfold increase in their membership since the last time they were in government, most in the last 3 years, so I would expect a bit of a change over the next few years.

I think we would have seen a lot of change this year if some of the more left members had waited until after the leadership election and convention to leave the party, a good few things didn't pass by a bare few votes...

Sorry for the tangent, I would say one common criticism of the Irish greens is they are actually overly focused on infrastructure over other environmental aspects, so I would count this government as a true failure of the greens if it didn't at least deliver on that one key aspect in cycling and rail.
Given that the minister responsible for Metrolink is not just a Green party minister, but is the leader of the Party, I would expect him to come out strongly advocating for it, and putting it in a direction that it should be fast-tracked so its completion is not delayed.

Metrolink will allow for significant modal shift towards PT, and that should be shouted from the house tops. He should also be pushing for P&R facilities everywhere they could work.

He should also look for plans to solve the St Rephaella's Road crossing as a stand alone project to remove at least one of the problems stopping the Sandyford extension.

It is time to push for this to get the tunnel boring machines into the ground.
23-10-2020, 15:03   #1519
riddlinrussell

Couldn't agree more Sam, if he doesn't he's a fool
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size