Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

I think they will be landlocked.
    I also think the designers missed a trick here, they could have run that sliproad up to the roundabout at kilkenny cross instead, still great progress being made, its only a 2 year timeframe after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Would the property owners be entitled to compensation in a case like that? Being surrounded on all sides by N roads isn't great in terms of noise levels and so on. That's a popular part of Castlebar in terms of property prices etc as well, there's likely to be a serious hit on the value of those houses as a result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Would the property owners be entitled to compensation in a case like that? Being surrounded on all sides by N roads isn't great in terms of noise levels and so on. That's a popular part of Castlebar in terms of property prices etc as well, there's likely to be a serious hit on the value of those houses as a result of this.

I assume they were offered to be bought out at a good price but the owners refused it. I doubt they will get any compensation beyond being paid for any of their land taken and possibly new boundary walls or the like.

I think if that happened at my house I'd happily be bought out and just move or build somewhere else nearby to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

unit 1 wrote: »
    I think they will be landlocked.
    I also think the designers missed a trick here, they could have run that sliproad up to the roundabout at kilkenny cross instead, still great progress being made, its only a 2 year timeframe after all.

There must be a very strong reason for not tying the slip road up to the Kilkenny roundabout. You would be effectively be landlocking all the houses up as far as the roundabout. A secondary road outside their front garden and a new primary slip road along their back wall mightn't have got approval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

UsBus wrote: »
    There must be a very strong reason for not tying the slip road up to the Kilkenny roundabout. You would be effectively be landlocking all the houses up as far as the roundabout. A secondary road outside their front garden and a new primary slip road along their back wall mightn't have got approval.

They would be going through an awful lot of houses/estate to run it through to the roundabout. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not sure why connecting it to the roundabout would be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think if that happened at my house I'd happily be bought out and just move or build somewhere else nearby to be honest.

Would all depend on the price I suppose. If they were offered market value then they probably wouldn't get a similar site/house in the area.

I had assumed they would be compensated somewhat. There's an awful lot of stone breaking going on near those houses. It would feel like a long two years with all the disturbances.

PARlance wrote: »
    Would all depend on the price I suppose. If they were offered market value then they probably wouldn't get a similar site/house in the area.

I had assumed they would be compensated somewhat. There's an awful lot of stone breaking going on near those houses. It would feel like a long two years with all the disturbances.

I don't think there is any compensation for noise disturbance, if there was half of Castlebar would have their hands out. Such works is ultimately beneficial for the area and its residents, its short term pain for long term gain.

I don't see how you compensate someone for the road passing close to their house, either it makes the house unlivable in which case you should be bought out and move elsewhere, or you can live with the road there and the money is going straight into your back pocket. If your house gets CPOed, in theory you get market price but in reality it gets inflated and is at the upper end of local similar house prices even if your house is older/in worse condition. You also get compensation because by definition you have been put out.

PARlance wrote: »
    They would be going through an awful lot of houses/estate to run it through to the roundabout. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not sure why connecting it to the roundabout would be beneficial.

Looking at it on Google maps, tying into the roundabout with the link road being south of the N60 would have made sense. From looking at the image posted above, it looks like multiple houses were demolished for the current arrangement which would not have been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Looking at it on Google maps, tying into the roundabout with the link road being south of the N60 would have made sense. From looking at the image posted above, it looks like multiple houses were demolished for the current arrangement which would not have been the case.

Only one house was knocked.

• Advertisement

That what I thought, surely a slip onto albeit a small roundabout would have been a better option than a slip onto an already busy road, the slip would also have been further away from the houses.

That what I thought, surely a slip onto albeit a small roundabout would have been a better option than a slip onto an already busy road, the slip would also have been further away from the houses.

its a fair distance to the roundabout to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WBEngineer

Are those houses going to be flattened or are they actually going to continue to live there between the Breaffy Road, the new dual carriageway and the slip road connecting them?!

The house on the far right was purchased in 2017 by its current occupants. Mayo CoCo agreed to CPO the property in August 2020 after some issues arose with the owners. They are still residing in the property.

The property to its left was not originally meant to be CPO'd either. However, in 2016 Mayo CoCo changed its mind, altered the road plan and CPO'd the property after issues with the owners arose. Those occupants moved to a new build on the Westport Road in 2019.

However, that house was then given by Mayo CoCo to the couple that lived in the sole property to be demolished (property once stood with the green portaloo is located). They were residing there while their new home was being built. They are in the process of vacating the property. This property was/is expected to become a site office for WillsBam.

The house to the left of the demolished property (corner/garden visible in image) is occupied. That house is actually built on the sheet rock that is being broken/blasted and as such they are living in hell with noise and tremors echoing through the house from 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday. If you walk past that property you may be able to see the sound recorders installed in the rear garden by Mayo CoCo during working hours.

Finally, the property to the left of that house but out of view in the drone image is temporary vacant. The occupants complained about the noise and Mayo CoCo has agreed to pay them to rent a property elsewhere until the project is completed.

WBEngineer wrote: »
    The house on the far right was purchased in 2017 by its current occupants. Mayo CoCo agreed to CPO the property in August 2020 after some issues arose with the owners. They are still residing in the property.

So the owners of that house decided they couldn't/didn't want to live there with realities of the construction but have been living there with it going on around them for months? Surely the work of the construction will be over by the time they get out of there?

So the owners of that house decided they couldn't/didn't want to live there with realities of the construction but have been living there with it going on around them for months? Surely the work of the construction will be over by the time they get out of there?

who buys a house with approved planning for it to be encircled by roads?

Thanks for the detailed reply WBEngineer.

• irishgeo wrote: »
    who buys a house with approved planning for it to be encircled by roads?

To make a profit from the council. Probably got it cheap due to desperate sellers and will to gamble that the council would pay well. Looks like something very similar also happened on the westport road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The house on the far right was purchased in 2017 by its current occupants. Mayo CoCo agreed to CPO the property ........

Thanks for going to the effort of creating an account just to give that information.

How are ye getting on with the project programme wise with Covid?

On the Ballyheane road a footpath goes out from Castlebar as far as Pat Kelly's Toyota garage and then the existing road gets narrow and dangerous. When complete with the new bridge and junction will the footpath be continued out or just a hard shoulder and how far on that stretch will it go do you know?
    Will it go as far as the small houses on the left at the Derrynaskearynaskeagh turn off?

Piece from the Connaught Telegraph about the history of accidents at the Barleyhill bends outside Westport, which will be realigned as part of the N5 W-T scheme:

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2020/11/14/deathtrap-bend-to-be-removed-after-almost-100-years/

It's the worst bit of N road in Mayo and actually has warning signs saying 'oncoming traffic in middle of road'.

I never understood why they started the N59 upgrades in Newport and worked toward Westport. It would have made more sense to start with Barleyhill because it's the worst stretch by far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Took a few photos today.
    The new road put in in islandeady.
    2 pics of the new road either side of it.

Then 2 more pics of the graveyard road and pics heading to Cbar and westport.

Anyone know what the traffic plan is for the breaffy road.

Looks like a diversion aross the newly dug out bit of the left of the road leaving town. Could be a traffic nightmare if it's single file and a set of traffic lights especially at peak times. Need to get on to Google maps and see if there is a set of back roads to avoid it.

Anyone know where we can see the design drawings for this scheme.

They used to be available on the mayo road design website, but it seems to have been revamped and I cannot find them anywhere now.

They're gone unfortunately. I emailed head of roads Paul Dolan pdolan@mayococo.ie to complain but got no response :-)
    Anyone know where we can see the design drawings for this scheme.

They used to be available on the mayo road design website, but it seems to have been revamped and I cannot find them anywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Any word on the road closure that locals were upset about ,was it resolved

The closure has been postponed until the new year and a temporary realignment provided instead. An armistice rather than a peace treaty!

steeler j wrote: »
    Any word on the road closure that locals were upset about ,was it resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

The closure has been postponed until the new year and a temporary realignment provided instead. An armistice rather than a peace treaty!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

That's a big hole they're digging. What's this for? Is it just the rock they need do you think?

533888.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I'd imagine so, part of the ground surveys for these projects nowadays is identifying the rock strata nearby for 'borrow pits', generally they want to take as much material as possible from the immediate surroundings for construction, to minimise transportation/environmental costs etc.

They then take surplus material that wasn't suitable for road building from other places on the route and fill the hole back in.

Advertisement