Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawthorn top half dead?

• 07-08-2020 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

I planted a whole bunch of bare root trees for hedging earlier this year and most of them are doing well.

However two of the hawthorn I had given up hope on as they seemed be grey/dead, now have shoots from the near the bottom of the tree.

Should I leave them do their thing, or prune off the top where I it looks dead/grey?

The other hawthorns are doing fine.

The trees we 2-3 ft bare root if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, cut off about half way down and see if the wood looks dead inside. If it is green/white - ie living - then stop, but if it is dead cut a bit further down till you are just into live wood, it will soon catch up. I had some tiny silver birches, only a couple of feet high, and two of them got accidentally cut in half, but new growth - new leaders - have sprouted and they are catching up fast, all in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I find hawthorn is very resilient. It’s almost impossible to kill in my garden. It can withstand a lot of hard pruning. I would go down to a set of shoots and cut back hard above them, you’d be surprised at how quick it will bounce back.

Advertisement