Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can A tenant change a hob without telling landlord?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I manage a tenant who put in a wooden floor without permission. He then tried to claim it back as the carpet was "worn". Told no.

Same guy asked about painting the house, we told him he could do it himself if he wished and we would pay for basic paint. He used the most expensive stuff in woodies at 65 euro a bucket. Woodies OB was 35 euro. He is getting the woodies price only.

Same guy wants a shed, said he was ENTITLED to a shed, was refused and said it was OK, the council would give him one. I KID YOU NOT. He was not impressed when told the council have no say in it. It is not a council house, it is a private house on HAP.

He is kept in reality by being told NO. If he is unhappy with the perfectly good house which has a perfectly fair lease, he can request council moves him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It's hard to know what the right course of action is here considering we are only hearing one side of the story. I can't imagine there would be many people who would be hassling the landlord and facilitating two separate visits from repair technicians if the hob wasn't giving them any issues.

There's so much we don't know here, how old was the hob? What was the issue the tenant had with it? When was the problem first reported to the landlord?

It's easy for people here to say the tenant was out of order, but I've seen landlords drag their heels over repairs for months. If this was going on for a while (which it presumably was with 2 call-outs) and the tenant was being left with half-cooked dinners etc, their actions make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Where does the assumption that the "appliance repair man" was in any way a professional? He could well have been Mick the handy man of Fly by Night Services, operating on a mobile phone for all we know!

Not saying that he is, but the assumption that he is a professional is a bit of a leap of faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

REXER wrote: »
    Where does the assumption that the "appliance repair man" was in any way a professional? He could well have been Mick the handy man of Fly by Night Services, operating on a mobile phone for all we know!

Not saying that he is, but the assumption that he is a professional is a bit of a leap of faith.

It doesn't pay you to send these guys, a landlord wants every receipt going in order to offset some of the huge tax paid on rental income. A nixer costs you more in reality. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

A mate of mine had a tenant in a few years ago who replaced a fridge and docked it out of the next months rent .
    The following month he had a problem with the plumbing, didn't ring the landlord, got one of his fellow countrymen to fix it. No receipts of course n docked it outta the rent.
    Soon after he stopped paying rent altogether! Show no weakness I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I kept my first house to rent it out. The house was my home. As we were moving to a totally different shaped house we left some of our furniture for the rental. Not tatty worn out furniture. There were 2 large sofas that cost €1500 each and required taking the window out to get them in. They wouldn't have suited new house or fit the layout.
    Visiting the house to fix a plumbing issue I notice both sofas gone. About 6 months after renting. There was a cheap small 2 seater and a 3 seater sofa bed in their place.so I asked what happened. The proceeded to say the sofas were very old and worn so they threw them out and these were their sofas. They were 2 years old and emaculate.
    They then proceeded to show me the sofas in broken pieces stuffed into the shed with piles of rubbish. They couldn't see any issue with what they did. Then just said take it out of the deposit. When I explained that they pay now and the deposit is for any additional damage they cause they went mental. I had pictures of everything and priced the furniture they bought. They then tried to say I could keep their sofas as payment. They paid €600 in total. The sofa bed was because an additional person was living there.

I make it clear that any changes to furniture, fixtures and fittings go through me every time I rent to new people with a book on how everything works.

They called themselves good tenants because they paid rent on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thanks, i gave her the overall view of this thread.

So she said they are ok tenants, rent is always paid. No major problems apart from an issue with a toilet she was not told about for a while. They had pulled all the workings out of the cistern and tried to fix it themselves with unsuitable parts and when it did not work told her it was her problem.

The repair guy is an appliance repair guy with 30 years experience and always gives a vat receipt. Seemingly the hob is 2nd hand and they have no receipt for the electric work. Oh and the hob that was taken out was their 2nd hob because they had broken the glass on a previous 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Thanks, i gave her the overall view of this thread.

So she said they are ok tenants, rent is always paid. No major problems apart from an issue with a toilet she was not told about for a while. They had pulled all the workings out of the cistern and tried to fix it themselves with unsuitable parts and when it did not work told her it was her problem.

The repair guy is an appliance repair guy with 30 years experience and always gives a vat receipt. Seemingly the hob is 2nd hand and they have no receipt for the electric work. Oh and the hob that was taken out was their 2nd hob because they had broken the glass on a previous 1.

All of what you said would be alarm bells to me.
    -Ask them where the original hob is as its bad enough installing a new hob without your permission, its worse again to install second hand one when you do not know the reliability of this - if they dumped the original hob, bill them for this.
    -Since they have no receipt for the electric work, you will for sure need your electrician to verify the work - bill them for this - this is a must as it can void your insurance cover for dodgy workmanship.
    -These tenants seems to have a reputation for doing stuff without your sisters permission - you need to be firm with them and ensure they are billed for everything so they learn their lesson or i suspect "something else" will happen in the future at some point.
    -When they broke the glass of the older hob, who paid for it? please tell me you charged them.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I kept my first house to rent it out. The house was my home. As we were moving to a totally different shaped house we left some of our furniture for the rental. Not tatty worn out furniture. There were 2 large sofas that cost €1500 each and required taking the window out to get them in. They wouldn't have suited new house or fit the layout.
    Visiting the house to fix a plumbing issue I notice both sofas gone. About 6 months after renting. There was a cheap small 2 seater and a 3 seater sofa bed in their place.so I asked what happened. The proceeded to say the sofas were very old and worn so they threw them out and these were their sofas. They were 2 years old and emaculate.
    They then proceeded to show me the sofas in broken pieces stuffed into the shed with piles of rubbish. They couldn't see any issue with what they did. Then just said take it out of the deposit. When I explained that they pay now and the deposit is for any additional damage they cause they went mental. I had pictures of everything and priced the furniture they bought. They then tried to say I could keep their sofas as payment. They paid €600 in total. The sofa bed was because an additional person was living there.

I make it clear that any changes to furniture, fixtures and fittings go through me every time I rent to new people with a book on how everything works.

They called themselves good tenants because they paid rent on time.

if you cared that much about your sofas you should have put them.in storage. They were wrong to do what they did. You were naive to think anyone you rent your house to would care about your sofas the way you do.

You sound like one of those landlords who can't accept that when you rent your property its not your home any more.

I've been a renter from an "accidental landlord" and I thank my gods of small things it was temporary pending purchasing my own house. Myself and my wife decided not to retain and rent out a property she owned because we did not believe we had the time available to commit to being landlords (I have a job, that's how we earn money).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

:confused:

being a landlord means you should expect to have your furniture chopped up?

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »

being a landlord means you should expect to have your furniture chopped up?

That's exactly what I said.
    ecoli3136 wrote: »
    *to everyone else * if you cared that much about your sofas you should have put them.in storage. They were wrong to do what they did. You were naive to think anyone you rent your house to would care about your sofas the way you do.

*to Graham's subconscious* you should definitely expect your tenant to chop up your sofas and that's ok

Indeed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I have no particular emotional attachment to my own furniture, at the same time I'd be pretty peeved if some plonker decided to chop it up.

To anyone who has ever complained about the state of furniture in many rental properties, this type of behaviour goes towards explaining the why. Apparently landlords should remove anything decent in case a tenant should decide to mangle it.

As a basic proposition consider visiting the property more frequently than once every six months if you really care about it/the contents, especially early in the tenancy. Naive not to unless you really know and trust your tenants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We recently got a new hob and oven for €250, including installation. Not exactly top of the range but they're new and clean and work well.

I would think a repair man visit would be 50-60 call out fee anyway.

I had a new ceramic hob installed during the week- I paid €425 for the hob and €50 for installation.

It depends on what you buy.

I also installed a Pyro oven- it came to over €600.

The tenant was bang right out of order on this one- esp. as the landlord was out of pocket for two call outs by an electrician who certified the original hob as being in perfect working order.

You sound like one of those landlords who can't accept that when you rent your property its not your home any more.

Not really. He sounds like he spent a lot of money on a couch, the couch was a quality couch and the tenant took it on himself to destroy said couch without the ll permission. Not sure how this can be in any way the ll fault

As a basic proposition consider visiting the property more frequently than once every six months if you really care about it/the contents, especially early in the tenancy. Naive not to unless you really know and trust your tenants.

Visiting more often will not stop a tenant from destroying a property.

You will be in breach of a tenant's right to peaceful enjoyment of their home- if you do this. Tenants have successfully argued to the RTB that an annual check should be sufficient and any landlords who decide to inspect more frequently are impinging on tenant's rights. There has to be a balance- the deck of cards are stacked in favour of tenants however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

if you cared that much about your sofas you should have put them.in storage. They were wrong to do what they did. You were naive to think anyone you rent your house to would care about your sofas the way you do.

I've been a renter from an "accidental landlord" and I thank my gods of small things it was temporary pending purchasing my own house. Myself and my wife decided not to retain and rent out a property she owned because we did not believe we had the time available to commit to being landlords (I have a job, that's how we earn money).
    That is a lot od assumption and misreading. I have acted as a landlord for over 20 years.

I fully accept it is not my home but it is my property and so is the content provided. They have absolutely no right to destroy my property.

I certainly don't expect a tenant to treat property and content as their own. They destroyed €2000 worth of sofas and claimed to owe me nothing and then offered €600 cheap furniture as a replacement after they were used by them.

Never complain why there is cheap furniture in a rented place when tenants act like this.it just doesn't make financial sense to spend money on furniture when renting. I have the same make and model of washing machine after 10 years working fine. One lasted 3 years in rental the other 2 less than 2 years. Shows the attitude of tenants and you seem to think this is to be expected. Great then you know why rents are high. It is work to rent property whether you have moral objections or not. I earn my money

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You will be in breach of a tenant's right to peaceful enjoyment of their home- if you do this. Tenants have successfully argued to the RTB that an annual check should be sufficient and any landlords who decide to inspect more frequently are impinging on tenant's rights. There has to be a balance- the deck of cards are stacked in favour of tenants however.

Didn't the rtb nail a landlord after a tenant wrecked the place by stating he should have inspected more than once every 4 months so he was partially to blame?

Didn't the rtb nail a landlord after a tenant wrecked the place by stating he should have inspected more than once every 4 months so he was partially to blame?

And they awarded another tenant 6k for 'unwarranted intrusion' when the landlord inspected the property 3 times during the first 6 months of a tenancy.

Does not compute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I look after a house in flats for my mother I've one tenant who started out with small requests or taking small liberties now she thinks she's in charge and it's only going to get worse.

Pure and simple, tell them no, your sister had the hob checked and it was fine twice. If she wasn't happy she should have shown the repair guy exactly what was wrong with it. Now she has a second hand hob and no paper work. It's her loss she'll remember it so that there isn't a next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The RTB have insisted on a 3 monthly inspections in cases I have attended and when a tenant has allowed damage to run has only allowed the landlord compensation up to the time the landlord in their opinion should have discovered it, not when the landlord actually discovered it if longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is a lot od assumption and misreading. I have acted as a landlord for over 20 years.

I fully accept it is not my home but it is my property and so is the content provided. They have absolutely no right to destroy my property.

I certainly don't expect a tenant to treat property and content as their own. They destroyed €2000 worth of sofas and claimed to owe me nothing and then offered €600 cheap furniture as a replacement after they were used by them.

Never complain why there is cheap furniture in a rented place when tenants act like this.it just doesn't make financial sense to spend money on furniture when renting. I have the same make and model of washing machine after 10 years working fine. One lasted 3 years in rental the other 2 less than 2 years. Shows the attitude of tenants and you seem to think this is to be expected. Great then you know why rents are high. It is work to rent property whether you have moral objections or not. I earn my money

What make of machine is it? I can't get any more than 3 years out of any white appliances in my house, yes I buy my own before anyone asks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What make of machine is it? I can't get any more than 3 years out of any white appliances in my house, yes I buy my own before anyone asks.

Don't buy cheap rubbish. Many appliances last years longer.

+1

Buy proper appliances- from reputable manufacturers- sure they'll cost more upfront- however, over the lifespan of the product you'll more than see the economic and usage benefit of not skimping.

From the perspective of a landlord- you can claim 1/8th of the cost as an allowable expense against rental income over an 8 year period- regardless of the price of the item- anyhow (which equates to roughly a 50% discount on the cost price of the item)- so skimping really doesn't pay in the longer run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The best I've gotten from any machine was the cheap one!! I've had all the brand names at this stage, Bosch, Hoover, Phillips etc. I've a cheap n cheerful Nordmende that's into its third year, the missus loves it, no fancy programs, no fancy flashing lights blah blah blah, it just washed the clothes...

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Here a no nonsence Wirlpool washing machine and is 10 years old
    Still working with non problems
    Just how they handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

The best I've gotten from any machine was the cheap one!! I've had all the brand names at this stage, Bosch, Hoover, Phillips etc. I've a cheap n cheerful Nordmende that's into its third year, the missus loves it, no fancy programs, no fancy flashing lights blah blah blah, it just washed the clothes...

I have Beko, cheap and never let me down. 11 years I have fridge freezer, washing machine and dishwasher. As someone said, don't abuse them, and they will be as good as any brand.

Our chest freezer is 32 years old and still going strong, it’s almost as old as me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Hard water will destroy any make of dishwasher or washing machine.

Advertisement