Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike Recommendations

• 28-07-2020 6:12pm

Hi guys,

Apologies if this post doesn't belong in this forum. I recently decided that I'd like to start cycling to work and am looking into availing of the Cycle to Work Scheme. My issue is that I'm not particularly bike-literate and am not sure of what to look out for or aspects to consider when choosing a bike.

The commute is ~10km each way from Terenure to Tallaght and could be at a significant incline if I commute via the Greenhills road although I've been informed of an alternative route with a dedicated cycle lane that I'll look into more. I don't imagine I'll do much additional cycling on it although in the past have used my bikes for cycles around the Phoenix park for a few laps (~30 km).

My question would be what brand of bike would you look at/avoid in your experience? What are the specs/features of a cycling bike that would be best to consider?

I've had a quick look on a local bike shops website and these bikes have caught my eye but no idea if they're worth the price:

Bike 1
    Bike 2
    Bike 3
    Bike 4

Any advice/experience is much appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The first three are a different type of bike to the fourth - the first three are what you would call hybrid / flat bar and the last one is a road bike.

I'm not familiar with any of those specifically but it would be good to decide which type you prefer. Flat bar gives you a more upright position which people new to cycling may prefer, but drop bars (as in the fourth bike you post) are much more comfortable for longer journeys and might give you a bit of versatility on the bike if you ever wanted to take a longer weekend spin etc.

If you go for hybrid - avoid front suspension. It adds weight, gives you something else to maintain, and you don't need it. Get decent tires and keep them at the right pressure.

If you go for road - there are many different types. Go for something with a relatively upright position. Gravel type bikes are great for commuting.

For either type - you need to choose between rim or disc brakes. Rim is a simpler system but not as effective in the wet. They also wear out wheels quicker but I wouldn't let that put you off. If you do intend to cycle in the wet a lot I'd go for disc brakes. There are two types of disc brakes - mechanical or hydraulic. Hydraulic are better but more expensive.

Whatever bike you get you need mudguards (these are absolutely essential for a bike you might use going to work) and ideally rack mounts too. If you have to carry anything it is much easier to put it on the bike than in a backpack. Less sweaty too. Not all road bikes have these so it is something to look for before buying.

And best of luck with it - I recently started a new job with a nice reserved car park space for me in the basement, exact same time to drive as it takes me to bike. Colleagues can't understand when I show up soaking wet but there is no comparison between sitting in traffic or on a crowded bus or getting a short exercise in the morning. 10km should take you 30 mins or so when you get used to the route.

Feel free to post any questions that you have at all

Thank you so much for all that - I feel a lot more informed now. Yeah I was lucky to get a loan of a bike during COVID and used it to cycle to work and now I've caught a bug since I've had to return the bike. A cycle and a shower really set me up for the day's work.

Do you have much to carry with you OP? You mentioned a shower at work so I assume a change of clothes will have to be carried at some stage in the week and rotated?

Worth looking into pannier racks and factoring if the bike will take those vs a back pack. Also theres several threads here regarding clothing that might be worth a look at and use some of the budget for that. Stuff thats going to be comfortable and good for the time of year you're cycling.

EDIT: From what you posted above bike 3 would be my pick from that selection but shop around and see what else is on offer.

The first three are a different type of bike to the fourth - the first three are what you would call hybrid / flat bar and the last one is a road bike.

I'm not familiar with any of those specifically but it would be good to decide which type you prefer. Flat bar gives you a more upright position which people new to cycling may prefer, but drop bars (as in the fourth bike you post) are much more comfortable for longer journeys and might give you a bit of versatility on the bike if you ever wanted to take a longer weekend spin etc.

If you go for hybrid - avoid front suspension. It adds weight, gives you something else to maintain, and you don't need it. Get decent tires and keep them at the right pressure.

If you go for road - there are many different types. Go for something with a relatively upright position. Gravel type bikes are great for commuting.

For either type - you need to choose between rim or disc brakes. Rim is a simpler system but not as effective in the wet. They also wear out wheels quicker but I wouldn't let that put you off. If you do intend to cycle in the wet a lot I'd go for disc brakes. There are two types of disc brakes - mechanical or hydraulic. Hydraulic are better but more expensive.

Whatever bike you get you need mudguards (these are absolutely essential for a bike you might use going to work) and ideally rack mounts too. If you have to carry anything it is much easier to put it on the bike than in a backpack. Less sweaty too. Not all road bikes have these so it is something to look for before buying.

Could I ask at what distance of a ride would you consider it better to go for road bike > flat bar?

Would there be any disadvantages to using a road bike for shorter commutes?

• Advertisement

I don't know tbh maybe others can comment as I've always had a short commute and used my road bike for longer weekend trips.

In terms of disadvantages of a road bike, I'd say none really and I've used one for a 5km commute. The flat bar can give you a more upright position which is useful in traffic, can be more comfortable in some normal work clothes (e.g. if you have a shirt on a road bike you can be a bit streched out). The other thing is road bikes don't always take full mudguards

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Hi guys,

Apologies if this post doesn't belong in this forum. I recently decided that I'd like to start cycling to work and am looking into availing of the Cycle to Work Scheme. My issue is that I'm not particularly bike-literate and am not sure of what to look out for or aspects to consider when choosing a bike.

The commute is ~10km each way from Terenure to Tallaght and could be at a significant incline if I commute via the Greenhills road although I've been informed of an alternative route with a dedicated cycle lane that I'll look into more. I don't imagine I'll do much additional cycling on it although in the past have used my bikes for cycles around the Phoenix park for a few laps (~30 km).

My question would be what brand of bike would you look at/avoid in your experience? What are the specs/features of a cycling bike that would be best to consider?

I've had a quick look on a local bike shops website and these bikes have caught my eye but no idea if they're worth the price:

Bike 1
    Bike 2
    Bike 3
    Bike 4

Any advice/experience is much appreciated! :D

Does it need to be from just one bike shop?

I don't know much about hybrids but you could definitely get more bike for your euro if you shop around. Road bike is pretty low spec for components etc and 14kg in weight if you shop around you will find better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Go for a road bike.

Aluminium frame with a carbon fork.
    Shimano 105 components

Disc brakes are all the rage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

What bike is best for exercise, speed and female 5”5’ beginner hoping to stick with cycling as a new lifestyle? I don’t have a massive budget so second hand is also an option and I have thoughts to cycle to places like Dun Laoighoire, Tallaght, Howth from Ranelagh, pretty much anywhere around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

You want something light then. Do you want a 'racer' bike? I'm going to assume not as they are that little bit harder to handle and a bit less durable. So if I were you I'd be going for a flatbar 'fitness' bike. Look for something with hydraulic disc brakes, much better than rim brakes and steer clear of suspension forks whichadd unnecessary weight and maintenance problems. Get at least 8 speeds at the back as it's more 'standard', 6 and 7 speed use an old system meaning you cant upgrade to 8 speed etc. If you want the lightest bike go for something with a carbon fibre fork, although not necessary and more expensive.
    Most brands have a similar specced fitness bike at each price point so no point recommending a model.
    5 ft 5 is on the smaller side of things so might be harder to find a used bike although you could equally find a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

What bike is best for exercise, speed and female 5”5’ beginner hoping to stick with cycling as a new lifestyle? I don’t have a massive budget so second hand is also an option and I have thoughts to cycle to places like Dun Laoighoire, Tallaght, Howth from Ranelagh, pretty much anywhere around Dublin?

Also you dont need a womens specific bike but I'd definitely recommend a womens specific saddle.

Advertisement