Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is there no digital leap card for digital wallets

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Everything they've released has been after soft launches, especially since the Golden Ticket issue. Even the changes to the portal for ordering Student, Child Personalised and Young Adult cards were live and in use, before they advertised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭loco_scolo

On the topic of Leap Cards, I had to replace my card as the corner broke off and became unreadable. I ordered a new card, through my online account, which arrived within 3 days.

However, it's now been a full week since I tried to re-enable Auto Top-up. I'm still waiting for an activation code to arrive in my bank statement. How can it take a week, and counting, to lodge two cents into my account to confirm I own the nominated account?

Crazy!!....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yeah, auto-topup is great once setup, however the setup is completely rubbish and having it take €30 every time is too much for many people.

10 days later, LeapCard finally managed to lodge 9 cents into my bank account, so I can confirm the Auto Top-up.

TEN DAYS 🤨

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

To be fair Easter would have delayed things by a few days. How many actual working days was it?

• Advertisement

6 working days. Totally fine then!?...

I think the point here is they clearly have no system in place. Why exactly do they need a special code sent to my bank account to confirm I own the bank account? In all my life, I've never had to do that anywhere else. Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭D8 boy

The problem is that direct debits on a bank account are prone to fraud. It's a file-based system: the biller sends off all the DDs to their bank and later they are notified of payments which have failed.

There is nothing to prevent you entering an IBAN belonging to someone else. The first the biller knows about it when the payment is reversed after the real owner of the account contacts their own bank to dispute the payment. This can take up to 8 weeks.

If this happens to a utility company they have a lot of comeback: they will put your account into arrears, they can stop you moving suppliers, they can cut off your supply and they have a physical address which they supply which is useful if they want to take you to court. Similarly an insurance company can just void the policy. But providing credit for use on public transport is different. You could just register for DD using a bogus IBAN and travel around as you please. When the DD is reversed after the real owner of the account cops on and the Leap card is blocked, you just throw the card away and register a new account and new card with a different IBAN. To avoid this the NTA have implemented a process to send a code on a payment which you have to enter before the DD registration is completed. This means that if you enter an IBAN belonging to someone else you won't see the code and thus won't be able to complete the process.

The UK banks have a 'Confirmation of Payee' system where the account number and name on the mandate can be checked to ensure they match those held by the bank. This helps reduce fraud but the eurozone banks are only starting work on this.

More significantly, in many countries, like Germany, your credit score can be accessed by businesses like utilities and transport providers so they can decide to reject your direct debit mandate if you have a poor or non-existent credit history. If they do accept you but you then defraud them, the biller can notify the credit agency and, because in Germany you officially register at an address it's easy to track you down.

In Ireland however only lending institutions or yourself have access to your credit history. So the NTA has no idea if you are the completely legitimate holder of that bank account or you have defrauded every other company you ever set up a DD with. (I worked in a new telecoms provider a few years ago and up to 10% of our Direct Debits were reversed because the bank account owner wasn't the person who signed the mandate. Often the bank account owner was a charity whose IBAN had appeared on adverts looking for donations. It was very hard to take legal action in such cases: the proof of address was often forged and even when it wasn't the costs of taking legal proceeding outweighed the few hundred euros typically racked up).

For this reason some companies such as NOW TV and GoMo will only take recurring payments on a debit or credit card. The transaction costs are higher but the systems are completely online and the advent of things like the CV2 code and 3D secure have made fraud harder. I guess the NTA have decided that SEPA DDs are cheaper and they've put that system with a code in place to verify that the you have access to the account you have put on the mandate. Because it's a file-based system it takes a few days, though not 6 !

It's an Irish solution to an Irish problem.

Advertisement