Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ridiculous short interval at traffic lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FarmerBob wrote: »
    Not so, lots of pedestrian crossings are on auto, so they run every time regardless of whether someone is waiting to cross or not.

Can you provide an example of a single one which automatically stops traffic?
    But the way Dublin has developed means that way too many people live 10, 20 or 30k from work ..

You can't expect everyone to live within 10km of their work even in the most densely populated high rise city. It's reasonable that many of those who do though could switch to cycling. Motorcycling is also a totally overlooked congestion-busting alternative in this country for distances over 10km.
    public transport is usually either not feasible or just too jammed to use.

If it's jammed, then people are using it and finding it feasible :rolleyes:

Yes more capacity is needed but getting more private cars off the road allows the existing bus fleet to provide much more and more frequent capacity

Dublin really needs a metro, but how many of your fellow farmers do you think would agree?

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...If it's jammed, then people are using it and finding it feasible :rolleyes:...

My train is shorter than its ever been. That's not helping with the overcrowding. I got fed up with it. Before the lockdown, I'd switched back to mostly driving. I've had a annual train pass for many years. Didn't renew it this year in January.

Do I think it will have to get worse for drivers before it gets better for other road users. Defiantly. Thats as I should be.

Do I think poor road and junction design it making it worse than it needs to be. Also definitely. Its either deliberate or just not caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Not so, lots of pedestrian crossings are on auto, so they run every time regardless of whether someone is waiting to cross or not.
    markpb wrote: »
    Lots? I haven't seen a junction in Dublin configured like that in years. Where are they?

North quays at Millennium Bridge is definitely one, cycle through there every morning shortly after 06:00 and there's rarely if ever any pedestrians but lights often red for traffic.
    Ha'penny Bridge crossing is only about 100m later and lights often red there also despite no pedestrians but that's on a separate sequence to allow traffic exit from Liffey Street Lower onto the quays so not entirely pedestrian crossing related.
    Most of the quays have a 30km/h limit and light sequences supposedly account for that to provide free flowing traffic. In many years of cycling both sides of the quays averaging 30km/h I’ve never once had a continuous run without having to stop at multiple red lights.

Driving in Dublin is a nightmare and I believe light sequences are a contributor. Drive along the likes of the north or south circular roads for instance at any time of day or night and you’ll never get a continuous flow without traffic lights impeding progress. I don’t understand how commuters can stick driving on a daily basis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Driving in Dublin is a nightmare and I believe light sequences are a contributor. Drive along the likes of the north or south circular roads for instance at any time of day or night and you’ll never get a continuous flow without traffic lights impeding progress. I don’t understand how commuters can stick driving on a daily basis
    i suspect it's other traffic which is a greater impediment on progress?

• Advertisement

.... In many years of cycling both sides of the quays averaging 30km/h I’ve never once had a continuous run without having to stop at multiple red lights...

I've done it in the past on the South quays heading out, but in the car at more like 25. Caught most of them. But that was years ago. Other half used to do it now often than me because she drove slower.

Never got more than two on the bicycle.

beauf wrote: »
    My train is shorter than its ever been. That's not helping with the overcrowding. I got fed up with it. Before the lockdown, I'd switched back to mostly driving. I've had a annual train pass for many years. Didn't renew it this year in January.

They have a shortage of rolling stock and will have for years (the joy of having a unique rail gauge) so the move to more frequent Darts meant shorter Darts. There's no way around this I'm afraid. But Dart only serves a small fraction of the city anyway which is why a metro system (system, not line) is urgently needed.

Edit: similar shortage of rolling stock on non-Dart routes also, and again these lines don't serve most of the city

Life ain't always empty.

North quays at Millennium Bridge is definitely one, cycle through there every morning shortly after 06:00 and there's rarely if ever any pedestrians but lights often red for traffic.

How can you be sure somebody didn't press the button then cross before the green man?
    Ha'penny Bridge crossing is only about 100m later and lights often red there also despite no pedestrians but that's on a separate sequence to allow traffic exit from Liffey Street Lower onto the quays so not entirely pedestrian crossing related.

So definitely not going red automatically for pedestrians, it's for another traffic movement.

There's an awful lot of junctions with crossing traffic though.
    I love the irony of car commuters complaining about the traffic... as if they're not part of the problem

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FarmerBob

Lots? I haven't seen a junction in Dublin configured like that in years. Where are they?

In addition to reducing the wait times for all junctions, a number of pedestrian crossings in the city centre and key locations in urban villages have been set to automatically operate from 7am-7pm to reduce vehicular speed, to aid pedestrian movement and to minimise contact with signal push buttons.
    https://www.dublincity.ie/node/19522
    Lots....
    Also you're calling it a stick when it's not. Improving conditions for pedestrians is done to improve conditions for pedestrians, not because someone in DCC is sitting behind a desk cackling because they're making life worse for motorists.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that...
    CSO/Census data says that your anecdotal experience is not correct. There might be many people driving around the M50 each day but there are also many, many people making trips much shorter than that.

Regardless, a lot of folk in say Swords, Blanch, Lucan, Clondalkin, Tallaght, rathfarnham, Leixlip, Maynooth, Lusk, skerries etc etc etc ) do work in the city centre and public transport is useless (unless you count squeezed onto a junkie tram from Tallaght..) These also need to be catered for. Perhaps (hopefully) BusConnects will help, but really BusConnects should be rolled out along with current changes to infrastructure, not years afterwards.

I also think we need to work on your angry tone issues... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FarmerBob

Both side of the river at Four Courts...both sides of river at Capel St Bridge,,crossings at Halfpoenny bridge...O'Connell Bridge...etc etc
    You can't expect everyone to live within 10km of their work even in the most densely populated high rise city. It's reasonable that many of those who do though could switch to cycling. Motorcycling is also a totally overlooked congestion-busting alternative in this country for distances over 10km.

Yep agree re motorcycling - but even 10k would prove too much for many people to cycle..it's shouldn't be but it is.

If it's jammed, then people are using it and finding it feasible :rolleyes:

Yes more capacity is needed but getting more private cars off the road allows the existing bus fleet to provide much more and more frequent capacity

Dublin really needs a metro, but how many of your fellow farmers do you think would agree?

Metro is years over due...

• Advertisement

Both side of the river at Four Courts...both sides of river at Capel St Bridge,,crossings at Halfpoenny bridge...O'Connell Bridge...etc etc

Busy crossings at major junctions which will always have people waiting.
    Metro is years over due...

Decades...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

i suspect it's other traffic which is a greater impediment on progress?

You forgot to bold the day or night piece. Generally yes but in the middle of the night with no other traffic you still don't get a clear run anywhere, lights impede any sort of consistent progress.
    How can you be sure somebody didn't press the button then cross before the green man?

Because whether on the bike or in the car I read the road ahead and if lights are likely to turn I'll ease off on the pedaling/pedal. At that junction I have a clear view ahead and having gone through it hundreds of times mostly early morning it turns red for no other reason that the timed sequence.

You can't know what happened a full minute or two before you got to the junction. Many pedestrian crossings had very long wait times (before being reduced recently)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

As a motorist you get 90% of the transport funding. 90% of the road allocation. The majority of the time at the lights. Can basically drive door to door to most destinations. And you're here to plead the beal bocht?

Just wait until you're in a rush to get somewhere and then come back to us.

To be honest, if the policy is pedestrian priority, that's fine but there needs to be public consultation on it. Ramming through permanent changes on the back of a temporary public health crisis is underhand and undemocratic tbh. Stifling opposition with the argument that "you can't be against public health" is pure deflection.

But the old adage goes, never waste a crisis.

Just wait until you're in a rush to get somewhere and then come back to us.

Like when you're walking on the west side of Westmoreland Street and want to get to the east side of O'Connell Street?

Pedestrians have been treated like utter sh!t in the city centre for decades.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Like when you're walking on the west side of Westmoreland Street and want to get to the east side of O'Connell Street?

Pedestrians have been treated like utter sh!t in the city centre for decades.
    Dundrum village is where it's at for Pedestrians from Monday next 10th....South Dublin CC are beavering away to provide new and unusal options for walkers and PT users....Plenty of "Ecumenical Matter" thought processes on view here.... :)

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news/dundrum-village-mobility-public-space-enhancement-update
    The proposed bus stops on the Dundrum Bypass will be fully accessible for those who are mobility-challenged, with accessible routes available to Main St., Dundrum Town Centre and close to the Wyckham Way Roundabout. In planning the proposed changes to bus routes and stops, we have worked closely with the National Transport Authority (NTA) and the public bus companies, so as to ensure that the adverse effects of the changes will be kept to a minimum. However, in order to provide the critical safety measures on Main St. and Sandyford Road and to reallocate space for the safety of pedestrians and cyclists, the alterations to the bus routes are deemed necessary.

Wonder who did the "deeming"... ;)
    Whilst most of the stakeholders we have engaged with were positive about what we are proposing, not all were and we will engage further with stakeholders as the project proceeds.

Gosh....I await the results of the engagement...:)

In tandem (!) with other Local Authorities and stakeholders SDCC,in a roundabout way grudgingly admit that this entire project is a bit of a "Suck it and see" job.....I wonder if they bothered with a Risk Assessment or is it "a sure'n it'll be grand Ted...just grand" ?

Anyway,for the Bus Customers,there are many colouredy lines to admire....

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Route-Changes-on-Routes-14-44-and-44b/

Nothing from GAI,as yet....https://www.goaheadireland.ie/

Enjoy....:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭SC024

As a motorist you get 90% of the transport funding. 90% of the road allocation. The majority of the time at the lights. Can basically drive door to door to most destinations. And you're here to plead the beal bocht?

and pay 100% of the motor / road tax.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

motorists pay all the motor tax.
    who'd have thunk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

paying motor tax is only required if you're going to take the car on the public road. So its a bit of a misnomer in my opinion. Its a tax on motorists who use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

turning right at SCR into kilmainham is the worst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

turning right at SCR into kilmainham is the worst

I don't think that sequence has changed?

The one on the SCR where it crosses Donore Ave definitely has though. As has its nearby neighbour on the canal. You're lucky to get 3 cars through on the green these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

yeh maybe not changed but its impossible to get thru there at times
    lights change and go red and no cars can get thru due to yellow box and traffic from n4 backed up

was wondering the other day, if they wanted to make the lights more pedestrian friendly, why not change the sequence of the lights, rather than the timings alone?

e.g. at some junctions i've seen, they go green for north, then south, then east, then west, then pedestrian, then repeat.

why not do N, S, Ped, E, W, Ped, then repeat? rather than N, S, E, W, Ped, repeat?

i was third in a queue at some lights the other day and the lights were already red again by the time i has halfway through the junction after them going green.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

was wondering the other day, if they wanted to make the lights more pedestrian friendly, why not change the sequence of the lights, rather than the timings alone?

e.g. at some junctions i've seen, they go green for north, then south, then east, then west, then pedestrian, then repeat.

why not do N, S, Ped, E, W, Ped, then repeat? rather than N, S, E, W, Ped, repeat?

i was third in a queue at some lights the other day and the lights were already red again by the time i has halfway through the junction after them going green.

Then it would be even longer.

Why they got the notion to do what they're doing creating more traffic then ever and constant stop and start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Why they got the notion to do what they're doing creating more traffic then ever and constant stop and start.

The rationale was publicised. Discourage people from travelling long distances (e.g. make driving less convenient) and reduce the risk of pedestrians infecting one another.

donvito99 wrote: »
    The rationale was publicised. Discourage people from travelling long distances (e.g. make driving less convenient) and reduce the risk of pedestrians infecting one another.

On a green plan it's crazy, more pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

On a green plan it's crazy, more pollution.

As if you care about pollution, all you do is give out about the Greens. Do you even believe there's such thing as harmful pollution? Funny how people bend things to suit their agenda.

As if you care about pollution, all you do is give out about the Greens. Do you even believe there's such thing as harmful pollution? Funny how people bend things to suit their agenda.

? Of course I do... The greens are about tax and more tax and anything else they can add money on...
    If vehicles have to constantly stop start that's worse. The light sequence is gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

? Of course I do... The greens are about tax and more tax and anything else they can add money on...
    If vehicles have to constantly stop start that's worse. The light sequence is gone mad.

If it's taxes that are required to stop our unfettered planet destroying consumption then so be it.

• Advertisement

If it's taxes that are required to stop our unfettered planet destroying consumption then so be it.

That's not how it works, people need to be given an alternative and one that they can afford or say a scheme where it's possible to pay off over a longer term.

Advertisement