Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you cocooning?

• 26-04-2020 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭

We have no idea where this whole Covid 19 business is going to take us, and the last few weeks have been difficult in varying degrees. For many people there is the anticipation that things may begin the ease and life begin to get back to normal, but whether you believe that depends on whether you are optimistic or pessimistic. For sure something will have to happen!

For those of us who are older and /or vulnerable, and following advice to remain at home and cocooned, the possibility of being 'let out' is looking more distant. Its been noticeable since the O&O forum started the people have not been too interested in posting problems that arise with age, but these are exceptional times and maybe people might like to share their thoughts - its really quite likely that this is one of the strangest situations that most of us have ever been in.

So, how are you coping with the situation? Is it getting you down? What are you doing to deal with it all? Are the practical issues of getting supplies your main consideration, or are you more concerned about missing opportunities to chat with friends and family?

My own situation is really not so far causing me too much hassle, though I do have some medical issues that have slowed me down to an extent that I would not be doing my more usual dashing around, even if it were possible. How long that will last I am not sure. I am very fortunate that I have a garden to potter in and plenty of projects that only require the will and energy to do them, so I have no excuse for being bored.

What is your story? How are you coping? Feel free to share your experience, hopes, aggravations and anything else that comes to mind in these really strange and challenging times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IndigoStar

I am. I have a medical condition that leaves me immunosuppressed so I'm used to lying low anyway. A simple illness takes me weeks to recover from and I'm a busy mum of two so I do my best to stay well.
    Have my wonderful hubby here to get shopping/meds etc.
    Quite happy here, keeping busy in the garden it's a huge hobby of mine so it's lovely to have the time to spend in it.
    There's a forest about 20km from here that I would have always gone to everyday after the school run, just me and the dog. Seems trivial but that's what I am really missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I guess I'm luckier than most. I have a home office, I have family here and I have the occasional excuse to travel beyond my 2km limit (complete with Garda clearance). I'm an introvert at heart and have been practicing social distancing all my life. To be perfectly honest I keep hoping that this last longer, long enough to create a seismic shift in our perception of what was routine and to make this new lifestyle become the norm. My quality of life vis-á-vis work is so much better and this is making me a happier person. I'm more productive both on the work front and the home front now that I don't have that two hour commute. I can start my day as early as I like (usually about 7) and be finished and at "home" by 3 o'clock giving me plenty of time to cook, cut the grass or take some photographs, whatever pleases me.

My wife on the other hand is not having such a glory moment. She is front line medical and the workload on her is wearing to say the least.
    Every silver lining has a cloud.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Stay safe Old Goat and family and forum

Don’t be afraid to post whatever you want to post- it’s scary times indeed - I have 2-4 family members in the midst of Covid, one v elderly - please keep lines of communication open - post what you feel- there’s nothing “wrong” here in this forum for folk who are genuine- in the meantime stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Yes, I'm cocooning except when I have to go to hospital for cancer treatment. I live in the back of beyond in the hills of lovely Donegal. No mobile phone signal (forget about this high speed broadband, just get the whole country covered with a mobile signal) so very quiet. Nearest neighbour about 1 km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Goodness, that is a bit remote! I'm relatively rural - the nearest shop is about 15 minutes drive away, the hospital is about 40 minutes away (having done two ambulance trips in three weeks!) but I have a few neighbours and a small village - ie a church and a school - a kilometer away.

How are you getting signal to use your computer? We have barely adequate mobile and adequate but patchy wifi here. In the hospital over the weekend there was no wifi (in my particular room/side of the ward), no mobile signal, only rte1 and no visitors. It was very quiet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Internet signal comes via a satellite dish from a company in the UK. It's expensive at €44.95 a month. But at least I have the internet! From that, I can use Skype for landline connections and What's App (but few businesses use that).

I just changed from the mobile phone's message to Messenger and that seems to work through the internet so I can now get SMS texts. Useful when you log on to somewhere (banks) and they insist of verification by SMS.

That really is not expensive for wifi, I am paying more than that for very average cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Any thoughts on another 'lockdown'? I have taken advantage of recent release from captivity to sort out dentist etc and of course a much needed hair chop which I rechon will 'do' for into 2021.

I did a lot of jigsaws then stopped but now find I am at one again.

The garden is grand from extra attention and decent weather. The house is tidy and clean, no heart to do anymore decluttering!

Yes we discovered Zoom but the novelty of that seems to have waned now. And the jokes on Whatsapp have also calmed down.

I think if 'stuck' in house again, I must explore better use of internet. Also a stricter exercise regime should be put in place. We live beside a lovely park so no excuse.

Ah yes, stricter exercise regimes...if I am honest I know that no amount of gardening has the same aerobic advantage as a brisk walk. I'd rather garden though :D

While I haven't felt confined, and recently have started doing a bit of shopping - masked - and meeting up with family - who are similarly pretty much cocooning, I suspect that a bit of cabin fever is creeping in. At least though when you realise that you can take account of it and not allow it to take over. My grandchildren will be starting school in September and I am not sure whether I should pull back from contact when this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As I am effectively permanently homebound due to immune issues, this has made no difference to me - except that with excellent community involvement and support some aspects of life have been easier and more accessible. I only leave the house for the garden and short walks at first light when there is no one about

Supply lines are well established already.

Also my advanced ago.

Homebound and islandbound are fine; my only "excursion" was an emergency air ambulance visit to hospital ; the covid world came as a shock as we have none here and no masks etc. The intensity of covid precautions was deeply impressive.

It must be so hard for so many. My home is my refuge more and more as my mobility decreases and being out here is a great blessing and so peaceful.

• Advertisement

Good to hear from you Grace and that you are coping well and perhaps better than many. Yes let us value home comforts and that we keep well to enjoy same.

September is tradition for me to be starting new things so think will take self in hand with exercise and address diet. I should be looking at something online to help? .... yes am lazy about just taking a decent walk if no good reason to be out and about. So much 'on pause' for the moment. I wish I could get back to reading books, something else to put on September list!

Internet signal comes via a satellite dish from a company in the UK. It's expensive at €44.95 a month. But at least I have the internet! From that, I can use Skype for landline connections and What's App (but few businesses use that).

I just changed from the mobile phone's message to Messenger and that seems to work through the internet so I can now get SMS texts. Useful when you log on to somewhere (banks) and they insist of verification by SMS.

We have an excellent small local server. Westnet. Ultra skilled and efficient; their tech guy is a genius. My dish is on the north gable end of a neighbouring ruined cottage facing the open ocean and in all the gales has never flickered. A welcome change from digiweb whose engineer knew the way to my previous rural homes.

24/7 with no restricitions at E34.99

Without the internet these times would be truly bleak and much more lonely. My nearest neighbour is several fields away. And we are cut off days at a time in bad weather.

We have a good cell phone reception too; I use Tesco pay as you go on a simple basic phone.

Al these thing make cocooning etc so much safer.

Garlinge wrote: »
    Good to hear from you Grace and that you are coping well and perhaps better than many. Yes let us value home comforts and that we keep well to enjoy same.

September is tradition for me to be starting new things so think will take self in hand with exercise and address diet. I should be looking at something online to help? .... yes am lazy about just taking a decent walk if no good reason to be out and about. So much 'on pause' for the moment. I wish I could get back to reading books, something else to put on September list!

I also see no point in walking for the sake of it.. Has to be a purpose. So if I go shorewards I take a big bag to fil with seaweed for the garden and now? A bag for blackberries.

I have no access to paper books now so am deep in catching up with TV series here online as I have not had TV for 26 years, and knitting at the same time.
    So many interests; archeology…. critters.. YouTube is a great resource. And I make sure I am on my feet meaningfully every hour or so

I like your use of word 'meaningfully' with regard to exercise! I give thanks that I live in two storey house and appreciate using stairs. I have gotten to know about podcasts and have a selection to listen to when out walking which helps. If you don't have roaming data on a phone, you can download at home for listening to later when out. Yes I agree Youtube is a fantastic resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Hello,
    I don't know what constitutes an oulfella so forgive me if at 62 I'm intruding.

We have been cocooning as much as possible here. We have, thankfully, no health issues but want to keep it that way. We initially kept very much to just the two of us in the house and found not seeing our children and grandchildren extremely difficult. We now limit our 'bubble' to ourselves, our two children and five young grandchildren. I miss meeting up with friends and the freedom to wander around the nearby town. Shopping is restricted to once every three weeks with more use of the local small shop. We walk a lot and love our daily walks but you soon get bored walking the same country roads every day. We're thinking of walking in town mid morning from next week and we'll avoid the shopping areas.
    Personally I can't take to Zoom sessions and Youtube doesn't do it for me. Thankfully I love reading and always have a large selection of books to get through.

Strange days and a lot to adjust to with the spontaneity gone from a great deal of our lives.

You are very welcome Jim Hodge, yes I think 62 counts! Any age is welcome provided they respect the ethos of the forum. Stick around, we need new faces :D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Now that we are entering level 4-and-three-quarters, I was wondering what are the views of O&O's about lockdown life, if there are any O&O's still hanging around here.

Right now I'm not too bothered as we will just continue doing exactly what we have been doing over the last six months, going for a walk and waving at neighbours as we pass by. Going to the supermarket once a week and trusting we don't need anything before the next expedition the following week, and praying we don't run out of tea. Watching lots of TV and hoping we don't run out of programmes otherwise we'll have to start on our old box sets, again. Watching stupid Youtube videos. I once watched a man on Youtube washing his hands! I also watched a woman washing out her fountain pens!!!! It's amazing what rubbish is on Youtube and what rubbish I can watch over an evening! Other than the supermarket the only other shop I really needed was the DIY shop as we wanted to do a few jobs in the house and no supplies to do them with! Any thoughts, folks?

Yup, sounds like me! Much the same. After the initial lockdown had finished I did meet up with son and daughter in law and grandchildren occasionally and since we were all quarantining and the children were not at school we visited each others' houses, but now that has stopped again. I have my daughter living with me so I am not on my own. She has suggested that she should take over the shopping again, as in the first lockdown, but I don't know if that is necessary.

The lovely weather since early last spring has meant that we have been gardening most of the days and I can't say the whole business has been too much of a hardship, though I do feel for people who are more confined and have children to try and keep amused.

It has certainly been a very strange year!

Certainly the strangest year of my life! I make good use of my telephone and WhatsApp. Haven't Zoomed anyone as yet though. Might try that just for a bit of di-varsion! I'll need to start ringing my family members and my list of oldies again, I'll start at the bottom this time and work my way up.

Strange times, surprised at how much time has passed and we are still at this. Really cant complain as we have our health and food on table. I managed a visit to my 100 yrs old mother in September who had to celebrate her birthday with just 3 people in July. My daughter was able to return to Ireland and work from here for 3 months in summer after first quarantining in Howth for 2 weeks!
    I give thanks for post and phone and internet.... and someone else in house! I already had a couple interests to keep me occupied at home. Inspired by doing a 'photobook' for my mother, I have been working my way thru old photo albums and producing more. I use a printer to scan old photos and then make up a new collection this time subject based rather than year by year.

Yes this winter will be tough, we were spoiled by amazing weather last spring, especially for those of us lucky to be gardeners. I have not made a christmas cake in 20 years but think I will do one this month. Extra weight is one downside of all this... less activity and main meal can be highlight of the day! I will miss swims now that pools are to close again. Travel is the big thing tho, I would have visited mother frequently and the odd holiday or weekend away.

Other half does a weekly Zoom with siblings and I am allowed join in. Amazing technology! Have a go Jellybaby.....just need to know about allowing the camera to video you and whether you want to 'mute' your voice or not. So you can be there listening and watching and have option if you wish to be seem or heard. All free and I think calls limited to 40 minutes unless you pay for it.

• Advertisement

I can just about manage non-visual skype with my sister every couple of days, even then we have to abandon it sometimes - the internet is so dodgy anything more than browsing Boards is hard work.

I've made a few WhatsApp video calls but it plays havoc with my battery, making me want to try Zoom. Remember when we used to be worried about computer viruses? I'm not too worried at present myself though, as long as we get ahead of Covid. We were doing so well but all hell seems to be breaking loose with the transmissions. Several family members have lost their jobs and that's a major problem trying to keep up with rent and bills, I don't know how they're going to cope, watching the breadline on the horizon. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A slip of a thing at 57 and effectively cocooning due to being in a high risk group.

All4.com the channel 4 site gives access to all sorts of programmes. Some have been broadcast by c4 but there is also a big selection of European dramas.

I'm not sure it is supposed to work in Ireland but it does. :)

Advertisement