Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year...... New TV series

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I started rewatching this last weewk, it's so good. Sadly, OH is not into it so I have to sneakily watch it alone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Gavin and Stacey are back !
    The BBC are re-running the series from the start.
    From this evening on BBC One.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Any tv series recommendations?

Just finished season 3 of 13 reasons why. Onto season 3 of Schitts Creek great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have you watched Ozark? We're working our way through season 3 which was just released. Its brilliant. Jason Bateman and Laura Linney are superb in it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Have you watched Ozark? We're working our way through season 3 which was just released. Its brilliant. Jason Bateman and Laura Linney are superb in it.

I watched the trailer for it last night looks amazing it’s on my list but too intense looking for herself.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    I watched the trailer for it last night looks amazing it’s on my list but too intense looking for herself.

Trust me, its definitely worth watching. My Mrs loves it too, in fact shes the one usually looking to watch another episode. Every time they release a new season we watch it in 3 or 4 nights.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

'Unorthodox' was very entertaining- and only a 4 episode limited series, so no big commitment!

Anyone else watch 'Quiz' the 3 parter on ITV about the Charles Ingram cheating on who wants to be a millionaire and the subsequent court case?
    Decent enough watch, Michael Sheen was fantastic as Chris Tarrant.

I seen it advertised, but haven't had a chance to watch yet.

I am confused by the coughing thing- if the fella in the audience knew all the answers, why didn't he just go on the show himself? :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    I seen it advertised, but haven't had a chance to watch yet.

I am confused by the coughing thing- if the fella in the audience knew all the answers, why didn't he just go on the show himself? :pac:

I think the guy had a phone or pager on him and there was 3 Of them in on it. I think.

• Advertisement

I think the guy had a phone or pager on him and there was 3 Of them in on it. I think.

Ah it's all explained, kinda! Worth a watch if between box sets.

Anyone watch normal people yet? Seeing stuff everywhere about it.

Same haven’t seen it yet but heard nothing but good things.

Same haven’t seen it yet but heard nothing but good things.

Currently about to start episode 4... its definitely caught my wife's eye anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Only thing I heard about it was people giving off about the [EMAIL="s@x"]s@x[/EMAIL] is it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Fleabag ;-)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Only thing I heard about it was people giving off about the [EMAIL="s@x"]s@x[/EMAIL] is it :eek:

Hardcore it aint!
    To be fair, & this is my opinion only (& only based on having seen 4 episodes), the scenes are not gratuitous & are tastefully shot, they show quite well the developing bond between the central characters.

If people are outraged by this they clearly havent watched GoT or Banshee for example.

Looking forward to watching the rest of it now.

Hardcore it aint!
    To be fair, & this is my opinion only (& only based on having seen 4 episodes), the scenes are not gratuitous & are tastefully shot, they show quite well the developing bond between the central characters.

If people are outraged by this they clearly havent watched GoT or Banshee for example.

Looking forward to watching the rest of it now.

I believe they were ringing Joe to give off, so tells you everything you need to know!!

TRS30 wrote: »
    I believe they were ringing Joe to give off, so tells you everything you need to know!!

LOL, & explains everything nice & neatly!! :D

I'm currently watching Dead to Me on Netfilx, watching Season 2 and Season 2 is even better than Season 1.

• Advertisement

I just finished Dead to Me yesterday. Sooo good! :D

Note to anyone watching/starting Mad Men- it's being removed from Netflix on 9th June.

We're 10 episodes in to Normal People & I have to admit I really like it. Looking forward to watching the final 2 episodes tonight.
    Then we're on to season 2 of Castlerock with Gangs of London & Brassic S2 to potentially fill the void when thats done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

Average episode: 2 minutes of nudity. 58 minutes of mindnumbing boredom and teenage angst. My wife read the book and enjoyed it byt says at best it's a 90 minute film and they dragged it out to 12 episodes and it shows as nothing happens for vast periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

touts wrote: »
    My wife read the book and enjoyed it byt says at best it's a 90 minute film and they dragged it out to 12 episodes and it shows as nothing happens for vast periods.

In the 20th century, we had a lot of books badly shoe-horned into 2 hours as the model was TV movies.

In the 21st century, with streaming, I'm seeing this a lot, something that should be a movie or perhaps a two-parter stretched out into 8 or 10 episodes with lots of filler.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

touts wrote: »
    Average episode: 2 minutes of nudity. 58 minutes of mindnumbing boredom and teenage angst. My wife read the book and enjoyed it byt says at best it's a 90 minute film and they dragged it out to 12 episodes and it shows as nothing happens for vast periods.

Thought the episodes were c.30 minutes long? At least they are on the BBC player.

As for their structure & what would be best, well I have to admit I find the 30 minute episodes going by at a fast enough pace, and by being short you can watch 2 or 3 if you fancy a longer binge or just the 1 if you dont rather than stopping mid episode.

Havent read the book so have no basis of comparison in that regard, but as I have said previously I'm quite enjoying it and dont find it dragged out at all. But each to their own on that score, theres been many a show thats been recommended to me & I just didn't take to them for varying reasons. Be boring if we all liked the same things.

I'm watching it on RTE. I'm finding it fairly watchable, but not a 'can't wait for the next episode, eeep!' type programme.

I do keep willing yer man to say Ballyhaunis... and could not understand the outrage caused by the fairly tame nudity/sex scenes.

Posy wrote: »
    I'm watching it on RTE. I'm finding it fairly watchable, but not a 'can't wait for the next episode, eeep!' type programme.

I do keep willing yer man to say Ballyhaunis... and could not understand the outrage caused by the fairly tame nudity/sex scenes.

Similar enough to ourselves so. We did watch 3 of them last night mind, there was nothing else on though so just kept going. Will close it out tonight with the last 2 and move on to something else, as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

Thought the episodes were c.30 minutes long? At least they are on the BBC player.

As for their structure & what would be best, well I have to admit I find the 30 minute episodes going by at a fast enough pace, and by being short you can watch 2 or 3 if you fancy a longer binge or just the 1 if you dont rather than stopping mid episode.

Havent read the book so have no basis of comparison in that regard, but as I have said previously I'm quite enjoying it and dont find it dragged out at all. But each to their own on that score, theres been many a show thats been recommended to me & I just didn't take to them for varying reasons. Be boring if we all liked the same things.

The couple of episodes I saw felt a lot longer than 30 minutes. And not in a good way.

Speaking of TV, have been told that the Late Late toy show is provisionally set for Fri 27th November this year.

However, pre production which normally starts in late June will be delayed due to the current restrictions & alternatives to the 'traditional' toy show as we know it are being explored. Currently there is no appetite to cancel the toy show, but, if social distancing is still required at the time rehearsals start there may be no way to hold it in 2020.

FFS!!:mad:

Heres the recent article btw.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0522/1139978-ryan-tubridy/

• Advertisement

Speaking of TV, have been told that the Late Late toy show is provisionally set for Fri 27th November this year.

However, pre production which normally starts in late June will be delayed due to the current restrictions & alternatives to the 'traditional' toy show as we know it are being explored. Currently there is no appetite to cancel the toy show, but, if social distancing is still required at the time rehearsals start there may be no way to hold it in 2020.

FFS!!:mad:

Heres the recent article btw.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0522/1139978-ryan-tubridy/

First casualty of Christmas 2020 :(

Advertisement